Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: All In

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

While some participants continue to work on new ideas to gain calories, others hunker down to try and last as long as they can; with the struggle to procure food this late in the competition, the threat of being pulled out becomes all the more real.

Original air date: August 12, 2021 

Colter even had fish to eat! Frankly, I'm not displeased to see his Skinny Sasquatch self hit the road. What was not gross about him?

Clay and his "poop" sightings. Always a joy. Does he hope to eat a mountain lion?

Theresa is subsisting, trying to put one over on the Medics.

Biko, I fear, is next out. Frostbite isn't to trifle with. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, diebartdie said:

Colter really screwed himself over when he washed his face. He obviously had 20 pounds of muck on there, if he had still been fully encased in filth, he would have made weight.

When he put that wash in his eye his eyes were still filthy.  As a contact lens wearer I winced because he had to have caused dirt to get in his eye.

Colter was berating himself for focusing so much on the fishing to the exclusion of other food sources.  The truth is he expended more energy on getting the fish than the fish gave him.  He should have done a cost/benefit analysis on the expenditure of energy vs. how many calories he was getting.  I know people don't like it when they "hunker down" to conserve energy, but it's the smart thing to do in moderation rather than expend every ounce of energy you have all the time and end up underweight before you know it.

• Love 6

Clay and his "poop" sightings. Always a joy. Does he hope to eat a mountain lion?

I wondered that too! They made such an issue about how hunting rules allow them to kill a mountain lion but can you eat one? Or does he just want to kill one for sport? And what's with the screwy hunting rules at this place? You can't trap squirrels, but you can kill mountain lions. OK then. Are squirrels endangered there or something? I've got plenty I could ship'em. 

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but they've really got to re-think locations next season. This is just another "who can out-starve everyone else" contest. The last to be pulled by medics because they are in danger of starving to death. Oh, the thrills! The suspense! Forget about grizzly bears, even they don't want these skinny contestants. No meat on the bones. 

You know, Biko isn't half bad looking if he'd just clean himself up and take the bone out of his nose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I literally shuddered when after irrigating his eye, Colter shoved his filthy fingers in it and started rubbing around.  Then I shuddered again when he washed his face and you could see for a fact how unbelievably gross and dirty he was.  He didn't even do a complete job at washing his face!

But I will say that when they revealed who got pulled for medical reasons, I gasped when I saw it was Colter.  He's the one who got those two big, fat, fish the other week, and then that fat one last night!  From what they've been showing us on screen, it looked like he was better fed than the rest of them.  I guess maybe they're not showing us everything.  When Clay said he was going to go grouse hunting because his gill nets were empty, it didn't look like it was a "Hey!  I've got an idea!" sudden thing. it looked like a routine, where he first checks the gill nets, then if he doesn't find anything, he heads inland for bird hunting and foraging.  This is just kind of the first time we saw footage of that since the early episodes.  And I think we only saw it because there was poop.

I also don't think Colter was pulled strictly for weight and nutrition reasons.  I know he kind of went into this a half a bubble off, but you could also see evidence that he was starting to really go a little crazy.  We only see what production chooses to show us, so I wonder if maybe Colter was pulled for mental reasons.  I mean, there's the obvious evidence of how filthy he was.  I get it, they're in a very cold environment and bathing is not easy or comfortable to do, I'm sure they all have a bit of a pong about them.  But while the others might have a smudge here or there, and dirt under their nails, they all have visible faces and look about as groomed as one might hope living alone in the wilderness.  When Colter washed his face, and I realized that what I thought was beard high on his cheeks had actually been dirt, that's when I tilted my head to the said and said "that's not normal."  Sure, Biko acts crazy, and that one time he got a little too into his Gollum schtick I thought he was really becoming unhinged, but he's bright eyed, mostly rational, and relatively clean most of the time.  Colter though?  Yeah.  No.  I think his condition worried the medics a lot...especially after Colter made those clean spots and they could see 1) how truly filthy he really was and 2) how little he cared about it since he didn't to a thorough job.  I mean, how do you halfway clean your face and not wash your hands at the same time?  The backs of his hands were black with dirt, and he doesn't have the excuse that he can't see them, or see how dirty they are.

And, sadly, I think Biko might be the next to go.  Unless he's doing more foraging than we're shown, he's had the least amount of sourced food in the last several episodes than anyone else.  I'm amazed that Theresa is still hanging in there, but even she knows she's hanging by a thread.  I did like her lakeside greetings to her competitors, that was nice, and it showed that she's 100% there mentally.  Clay must be getting more grouse than they're showing us, but even he was concerned he'd get pulled for weight loss--and he's the one who sourced the most protein out of all of them.  Other than the fact that I think Clay is a little crazy too, for running toward grizzlies and being a little too enthused about apex predators near his shelter, I'm OK with a Clay win.  Of course, I'm rooting for Theresa to win, then Biko who really did grow on me, but at this point any one of them deserves it.  Even crazy, scary, hermit man Colter....

• Love 12

Surprising Colter was the only one pulled.  I was sure it was going to be Theresa.  Women are at such a disadvantage just starting off with less weight.

Biko:  Bummer his net froze up.  I was worried about his feet in that fire.  Can't he just stitch up the holes in his socks?  He's funny as hell.  I hope he catches something.  He's got quite a hike down to the water and back.  At least he had the onions.  And found that lucky little fish.  He's got kids?!

Theresa:  Trouble sleeping is not good.  Amazing those rose hips or whatever are still viable in that cold.  Knife wound!  Glad they have first-aid kits.  She really is sweet.

Colter:  Smart making those dice to stay occupied.  He should have stowed his boat better.  Impressive he got it back.  It was worth it!  What happened to his eye?  Smart making another net., but as others have said, he worked too hard for too little reward.

Clay:  Glad he got a fish.  That was a lot of work resetting his net.  Fresh lion poop and he's allowed to hunt it.  Wow!  The bear is back!  He's a great carver.  The airplane was cool.

• Love 4

Despite the Pig Pen appearance, my heart broke a little for Colter. ...Wait? He is only 36?! How did I not know that! I thought he was 50ish, and was wondering why he was still so enmeshed with his parents. 

Biko, me thinks you are gonna have to get a job, dude. 

Clay is the frontrunner at this point, but don't really want to see him arrow a mountain lion.

Theresa is amazingly strong mentally. Hang in there with your rosehips, girl!! And PS. This show just proves how much faster and easier it is for men to lose weight! (Not a desired trait on this show, I know, but still!) If Theresa had just packed on some Biko pounds, she would be in good shape to win. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Colter really screwed himself over when he washed his face. He obviously had 20 pounds of muck on there, if he had still been fully encased in filth, he would have made weight.

I came on here to say the same thing.

1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Biko:  Bummer his net froze up.  I was worried about his feet in that fire.  Can't he just stitch up the holes in his socks?  He's funny as hell.  I hope he catches something.  He's got quite a hike down to the water and back.  At least he had the onions.  And found that lucky little fish.  He's got kids?!

Hes got a girlfriend pregnant with twin girls.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

When Colter washed his face, and I realized that what I thought was beard high on his cheeks had actually been dirt, that's when I tilted my head to the said and said "that's not normal." 

I kept thinking the same thing. I had never seen someone whos beard grew so far up the face, past the nose. I thought that was a thick bush of hair up his cheeks and it was very unsightly.

I am surprised Theresa wasn’t pulled. Those rose hip cakes sure are helping her hold her own.

I am also thinking they pulled Colter for reasons other than weight (filth most likely).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

But I will say that when they revealed who got pulled for medical reasons, I gasped when I saw it was Colter.

After a slow episode, we were genuinely shocked when they pulled Colter. I was certain he was going to be the winner, albeit the dirtiest winner in the history of the game. It was disturbing how he immediately blamed himself for the loss and spoke of how much shame he felt. Apart from the dirt, which was horrifying, he was extremely resourceful and functional. 

More notes on The Biggest Loser: Slow Starvation while Alone edition. (Fast Starvation in Biko's case.) 

Clay: I have to think it won't play well with a lot of the viewers if he kills and maybe eats a large cat. Speaking of which, I know lots of hunters and I've never heard a single one say "I ate cat once!" Is that even a thing? 

Theresa: She continues to be astonishingly tough. But pardon my snark but I have to say - am I the only one who noticed that when she cut herself her accent completely disappeared? Sorry, I had to mention it. I still think she's amazing. 

Biko: terrifying weight loss. He seems very weak. He's still funny though. 

I'm glad the next episode is the finale. This is getting too painful to watch. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

But pardon my snark but I have to say - am I the only one who noticed that when she cut herself her accent completely disappeared? Sorry, I had to mention it. I still think she's amazing. 

She did a little monologue about how all over the place it was.  I missed a lot of it, but she said something about saying American "r's" vs. British "r's" and something about a drawl.

My mom was born and raised in NE Louisiana and Houston, but after a few years in North Jersey it was mostly gone except for "ya'all".  When we went down there to visit family, she snapped right back into it.  Being single digits it confused the hell out of me.

When I travel far, I find myself trying to go with the local accent.  I've taken a lot of German classes and took Spanish 101 at the Community College before I went to Ecuador.  I had a young Columbian woman on this Galapagos cruise bitch in my face that my Spanish was bad.  Oh well. I tried😎 and wasn't totally baffled.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Biko, me thinks you are gonna have to get a job, dude. 

Yup.  A real job.  And not as a Z-list reality show "celebrity" going to cons and mall openings.  There may be a market there for the uber-popular reality shows like former Survivor, Big Brother, or The Bachelor contestants, but I don't think even down-market sporting goods stores would pony up for an appearance fee for Biko.  And not just because Alone isn't a mega-show like Survivor, Biko himself doesn't really fit the typical Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas demographic.  They're expecting Rambo, not Gimli.

I forgot about Colter's yachtzee dice!  Oh man, what a perfect way to entertain yourself.  That's another reason why I was surprised he was pulled, that showed he was thinking about ways to fight the doldrums of the long dark evenings.  So there's that Colter who is with it and builds things like boats and toys, and the other Colter who is the creepy hermit guy in the woods your parents tell you to stay away from.

5 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Clay: I have to think it won't play well with a lot of the viewers if he kills and maybe eats a large cat. Speaking of which, I know lots of hunters and I've never heard a single one say "I ate cat once!" Is that even a thing?

Most hunters I know would only hunt a mountain lion for the trophy, not for the meat.  Which I do have problems with, for sure.  If you kill it, you should eat it.  It is also my understanding that predator meat does not taste very good, and cat meat in particular is awful tasting.   Bear meat, if the hunter is lucky enough to shoot a berry eating bear, is supposedly not bad, bear meat from a fishing bear supposedly tastes fishy, and meat from a garbage picking bear is supposedly awful.  This is all third hand knowledge, by the way. 

But Clay is hungry, he'll eat the cat meat.  If he manages to shoot one and kill it.  If he hits it with an arrow and just injures it, I think tables will turn and Clay will be the one eaten.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Yup.  A real job.  And not as a Z-list reality show "celebrity" going to cons and mall openings.  There may be a market there for the uber-popular reality shows like former Survivor, Big Brother, or The Bachelor contestants, but I don't think even down-market sporting goods stores would pony up for an appearance fee for Biko.  And not just because Alone isn't a mega-show like Survivor, Biko himself doesn't really fit the typical Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas demographic.  They're expecting Rambo, not Gimli.

Britt Ahart (seasons 3 and 5) didn't win either time, but got himself a nice little gig doing Jeep commercials.  He also drives a school bus, so the man does what he has to do to support his family.  I follow him on Facebook.  He's pretty high up on the awesome list for me.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Colter was berating himself for focusing so much on the fishing to the exclusion of other food sources.  The truth is he expended more energy on getting the fish than the fish gave him.  He should have done a cost/benefit analysis on the expenditure of energy vs. how many calories he was getting.  I know people don't like it when they "hunker down" to conserve energy, but it's the smart thing to do in moderation rather than expend every ounce of energy you have all the time and end up underweight before you know it.

Colter thought he was going to be getting more fish out of the lake than he did.  So his plan failed.  But he shouldn't be so upset about it, he said at the very beginning he was going to gamble on his boat, and that's what he did.  If the fishing had been better this year, maybe it would have paid off.  Just think of how many calories he burned just rowing.

I was amazed at how well Colter's Yahtzee dice worked.  They looked crooked as could be, but they appeared to work pretty well, and give reasonably random results, at least from what we saw.  Colter may have been the dirtiest contestant we've ever seen lol.

I also think Biko is next to go.  Not sure though, these medical pulls are a real wild card.  I like Theresa because of her shelter, if she wins it's going to be because of her impressive gathering.

I like cats, so I have no desire to see Clay kill a mountain lion.  But if he did, that would probably seal the win for him.  I think he's the likely winner anyway.

Those medical exams are odd.  "Pull up your shirt and let me see your stomach".  

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Colter thought he was going to be getting more fish out of the lake than he did.  So his plan failed.  But he shouldn't be so upset about it, he said at the very beginning he was going to gamble on his boat, and that's what he did.  If the fishing had been better this year, maybe it would have paid off.  Just think of how many calories he burned just rowing.

He just wasn't being realistic.  He should have had a "plan B" in case the fishing sucked.  I don't remember any season where the fishing would have been good enough to offset all the energy he expended. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I was surprised with Coulter also. I don't think his weight was the prime consideration. I suspect he got a bad BP reading that led them to believe his heart was under stress. I assume all the participants get whatever TV pays for visual and audio so even those who lose can see a considerable check. Bigger they longer they stay in. I guess those guys taking him back aren't supposed to say anything. He probably smelled to holy heaven that's why they kept him at the back of the boat. 

If Biko wins its not because of his survival skills. He simply had enough bulk to outlast everyone. I'm baffled why anyone wouldn't pack on as much meat and fat as possible. Some start out only 15 pounds away from being in danger. If he can he should try to sleep 20 hours a day. As for his socks...he could fix them. Tear a few patches from other clothes. Sew them on.

Just as  surprised Theresa wasn't pulled. You can see in her eyes she is hanging on by a thread...

Every season this show is a test of endurance which technically involves people going to the edge. Is it harsh yes it is. If its not some you want to see change the channel.

I'd like to see them start off at beginning of summer and have all summer and fall to make it through the winter. Barring injury all of them should do well. Loneliness will take them out not starvation. But if anyone lasts a year they automatically win.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, rmontro said:

"Pull up your shirt and let me see your stomach".

Isn't a distended belly a clear sign of malnutrition?

5 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

He probably smelled to holy heaven that's why they kept him at the back of the boat. 

That's too scary to think about😎

• Love 1

From what they've been showing us on screen, it looked like he was better fed than the rest of them.  I guess maybe they're not showing us everything.

Colter was probably burning more calories too, gathering all that firewood, so he still winds up at a net loss. You also have to factor in metabolism. That's why this show always ends up being about who can starve the longest without getting pulled by medics. I wouldn't think that's actually the kind of contest they're going for but it's what they always wind up with anyway.

Colter. ...Wait? He is only 36?! How did I not know that! I thought he was 50ish,

Yeah, he's a rough looking 36, even at his best.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

He just wasn't being realistic.  He should have had a "plan B" in case the fishing sucked.  I don't remember any season where the fishing would have been good enough to offset all the energy he expended. 

There is no plan B on that damn place. Most of the contestants who tapped out did so because after 5-10 days of no food after they tried plan B, C, D, E and F. They realized nothing is going to change. One lady ate her mucus! It didn't help. One guy is only hanging in because he brought his food with him. He should have conserved energy after he got those fish. He should have taken his time making the second net. His strategy was producing he should have ate two fish in one day and just sat around. I don't think he had to launch his boat out as far as he did. He did do good. Least now he can take a shower.

• Love 2

What's the over/under on Colter actually taking that shower?  😆

The boat was a big gamble for him, and from what we were shown, Colter caught more fish using it than the others did fishing from shore, or casting their gill nets from shore.  I don't know how much energy he used up by wrestling it in and out of the water all the time though.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Isn't a distended belly a clear sign of malnutrition?

Good point.  I was thinking they wanted to see if they could see their ribs, or maybe just catch a cheap peek.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wondered that too! They made such an issue about how hunting rules allow them to kill a mountain lion but can you eat one? Or does he just want to kill one for sport?

From what he was saying, methinks he wants it for the trophy, but would eat it if he had to.  

7 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

But I will say that when they revealed who got pulled for medical reasons, I gasped when I saw it was Colter.  

I also don't think Colter was pulled strictly for weight and nutrition reasons.  I know he kind of went into this a half a bubble off, but you could also see evidence that he was starting to really go a little crazy.  

I was shocked, too.  I had him down as winning this season.  But I think you're right, it was not just weight.

4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

As long as he eats it, I have no problem with it.  But if he just kills it for the thrill of the hunt?  Big problem.

4 hours ago, PaperTree said:

My mom was born and raised in NE Louisiana and Houston, but after a few years in North Jersey it was mostly gone except for "ya'all".  When we went down there to visit family, she snapped right back into it.  Being single digits it confused the hell out of me.

When I travel far, I find myself trying to go with the local accent.  I've taken a lot of German classes and took Spanish 101 at the Community College before I went to Ecuador.  I had a young Columbian woman on this Galapagos cruise bitch in my face that my Spanish was bad.  Oh well. I tried😎 and wasn't totally baffled.

I stated on these boards somewhere that my mother came to the US from England when she was 10.  She lost the accent, except when she's worked up.  I used to piss her off when I was younger just to hear the accent come out.

I tend to pick up the accents of people around me.  When I went to Georgia to visit my brother so many years ago, a couple people thought I was a native.

1 hour ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

If Biko wins its not because of his survival skills. He simply had enough bulk to outlast everyone. I'm baffled why anyone wouldn't pack on as much meat and fat as possible. Some start out only 15 pounds away from being in danger. If he can he should try to sleep 20 hours a day. As for his socks...he could fix them. Tear a few patches from other clothes. Sew them on.

Yeah, that's his only chance, but he's already lost what? 75 pounds?  That much weight loss in that short of time is not good on the heart.

I do not understand how Theresa is hanging on with rose hips and whatever else she was eating.  I think she's next to be pulled.

I think Clay's a bit nuts, too.  He's just better at not showing it (i.e. cleaning his face and hands).

Biko doesn't irritate me as much as he did, but I wish he'd get rid of that damn bone.  I think it will come down to Clay and him and Clay will manage to eke it out.

Colton's hands were BLACK.  They all must smell pretty bad by now, but he had to reek.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Surprising Colter was the only one pulled.  I was sure it was going to be Theresa.  Women are at such a disadvantage just starting off with less weight.

I was expected Theresa to go as well, so there must have been other probs with Colten's vitals not just his weight.

7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Despite the Pig Pen appearance,

after his first Arrrgh groan on this episode, I started calling him Grover, he totally looked like a fur covered muppet. Did anyone watch his "fireside chat" on History yet? I am going to check it out.

So last week Colton caught 2 fish but they didn't show him eating them, tonight he caught 1 fish and they showed him acting like it was the first fish he had eaten, I didn't get it. How many days was it between the first 2 fish and the 3rd, I didn't take note. I know he hadn't eaten anything for a long time before the first 2 fish but I thought he was doing Ok. I thought it was cool that he built the boat and was quite good at problem solving, he was pretty hard on himself.

Hunting a cougar......good luck with that!

ETA: I don't see the Colton's interview on History unless it is at the end of the full episode

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Did anyone watch his "fireside chat" on History yet?

I tried to find it and never did.  I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.  I want to see what he looks like now - assuming he cleaned up.

Several years ago I read about some hunting resort out west somewhere that actually has mountain lion on the menu.  I find the idea of eating any feline just as repugnant as I imagine most Americans would but AFAIK large cats can be eaten.  I don't like the idea of killing an animal for a trophy either which is what I suspect is Clay's plan so I hope he doesn't find the mountain lion at all.

Biko has definitely grown on me except for the pierced nose.  His vocabulary and thought processes make me think he's intelligent and he seems like a nice guy.  I started out having him as my least favorite and now I'm sort of rooting for him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, madmax said:

I do not understand how Theresa is hanging on with rose hips and whatever else she was eating.  I think she's next to be pulled.

Theresa is the only one of the final 3 to have taken a food ration as one of her 10 permitted items.  I think that's the primary reason she's still there.  And she has the BEST shelter I think I've ever seen on Alone.  Looks like she even makes her bed every day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

There is no plan B on that damn place. Most of the contestants who tapped out did so because after 5-10 days of no food after they tried plan B, C, D, E and F. They realized nothing is going to change. One lady ate her mucus! It didn't help. One guy is only hanging in because he brought his food with him. He should have conserved energy after he got those fish. He should have taken his time making the second net. His strategy was producing he should have ate two fish in one day and just sat around. I don't think he had to launch his boat out as far as he did. He did do good. Least now he can take a shower.

Plan B is working for some others, he just decided not to have one.   Most of the ones that have tapped out did so not because Plan B wasn't working at all, but because it wasn't working well enough for their taste. They're not willing to do to their bodies what it obviously takes to win, something IMO they should have realized going into this.  It's not like any of the winners haven't basically been skin and bones by the time it's all over.  I think some of them overestimate their abilities and think they're going to do better than anyone else out there, and that also defeats them because they don't factor in having to change course or they resist it at all costs.

I agree that Colter should have conserved his energy more and have posted to that effect in other posts.  That alone could have been enough of a Plan B for him to still be there.  He was very vocal about putting all his eggs in the boat basket but that strategy was really too much of an energy drain for what he was getting out of it.  So if he wasn't willing to find another strategy for finding food he should have seen that taking it more easy was the only other strategy that could help him coast along even just a little longer.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1

I was surprised with Coulter also. I don't think his weight was the prime consideration. I suspect he got a bad BP reading that led them to believe his heart was under stress. 

I agree, I think he got pulled primarily for a medical issue and not necessarily his weight.  Everyone's physical weaknesses are different and this just may have been too much for his.  Despite being relatively young his body may not have been as robust or healthy going into this to be able to withstand the kind of accumulated abuse they have to endure out there by this point in the competition.  Plus, and this is another consideration I rarely hear talked about, it can actually be more damaging to the heart to continue to push oneself physically when in that kind of starvation state on a prolonged basis than taking it easier would be.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

On Naked and Afraid XL they usually show the XLers filthy shower water going down the drain when they are back in civilization at the hotel. Can you imagine what Colter’s looked like? Probably like a mudslide! 😮

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t want Clay to win since he so wants to kill a mountain lion. 

I don't want him to kill the mountain lion either.  But you can eat a mountain lion, so I'm sure he intends to eat it if he does, I don't think he's just motivated by sport.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, madmax said:

From what he was saying, methinks he wants it for the trophy, but would eat it if he had to.  

I was shocked, too.  I had him down as winning this season.  But I think you're right, it was not just weight.

As long as he eats it, I have no problem with it.  But if he just kills it for the thrill of the hunt?  Big problem.

I stated on these boards somewhere that my mother came to the US from England when she was 10.  She lost the accent, except when she's worked up.  I used to piss her off when I was younger just to hear the accent come out.

I tend to pick up the accents of people around me.  When I went to Georgia to visit my brother so many years ago, a couple people thought I was a native.

Yeah, that's his only chance, but he's already lost what? 75 pounds?  That much weight loss in that short of time is not good on the heart.

I think Clay's a bit nuts, too.  He's just better at not showing it (i.e. cleaning his face and hands).

Biko doesn't irritate me as much as he did, but I wish he'd get rid of that damn bone.  I think it will come down to Clay and him and Clay will manage to eke it out.

Colton's hands were BLACK.  They all must smell pretty bad by now, but he had to reek.

I'm a 100% certain if he bagged a lion he would butcher it and eat it as well. He seems like that kind of guy to me.

Typically losing weight is good for the heart. It would need to do a lot less work. However a rapid loss like that would no doubt have some physical affect. Its certainly having a mental effect. If he manages to catch one good size fish it would mentally elevate him.

Same for Theresa just one large fish.

I would like to know if her shelter is keeping her significantly warmer and if that is a major factor in keeping her in the game. She gets an A for attitude, grit and determination. No more losers...just 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Gold, Silver and Bronze.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't want him to kill the mountain lion either.  But you can eat a mountain lion, so I'm sure he intends to eat it if he does, I don't think he's just motivated by sport.

I think he is. He wanted to kill it from day one.😡

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I think he is. He wanted to kill it from day one.😡

It's an opportunity for food, in a place where food is scarce.  He knows he can hunt it, so I'm sure it perked up his interest.  He could well be interested in having a story to tell, a unique hunting experience.  But I definitely think he would eat it.  What else is he going to eat along with his jerky, dirt?  This is a survival show, and like it or not good hunters are going to be more likely to survive - maybe not on this show particularly, but in survival situations in general.

But I'm with you, I hope he doesn't get it.  I'm still upset at the guy who stole the squirrel's mushroom stash last season.

Same for Theresa just one large fish.

I think Theresa said she gave up on trying to get fish, and that she was just going to make a go of it with gathering from here on out.  If she wins solely on that, it will be impressive.  Plus someone said she was the only one who took a food ration, that may prove to be very smart.  Especially this season, where food is so scarce.  Might even be the difference.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

It's an opportunity for food, in a place where food is scarce.  He knows he can hunt it, so I'm sure it perked up his interest.  He could well be interested in having a story to tell, a unique hunting experience.  But I definitely think he would eat it.  What else is he going to eat along with his jerky, dirt?  This is a survival show, and like it or not good hunters are going to be more likely to survive - maybe not on this show particularly, but in survival situations in general.

But I'm with you, I hope he doesn't get it.  I'm still upset at the guy who stole the squirrel's mushroom stash last season.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. From what Clay said, it was a dream of his to hunt a mountain lion. I didn’t say he wouldn’t eat the poor beautiful creature if he murdered one, but that wouldn’t be his prime motivation, IMO. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. From what Clay said, it was a dream of his to hunt a mountain lion. I didn’t say he wouldn’t eat the poor beautiful creature if he murdered one, but that wouldn’t be his prime motivation, IMO. 

Fair enough.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

Typically losing weight is good for the heart. It would need to do a lot less work. However a rapid loss like that would no doubt have some physical affect. Its certainly having a mental effect. If he manages to catch one good size fish it would mentally elevate him.

Rapid weight loss is no good for the heart and can cancel out any benefit being thinner might provide.  It can mess with blood pressure and cause heart palpitations, irregular heartbeat and heart failure.  And exercise, while normally good for the heart can become dangerous for it under these extreme circumstances.  Rapid weight loss also causes vitamin and mineral deficiencies which can mess with mental state and overall wellness as well.  Not to mention that it can cause dehydration, mess with electrolytes, lead to loss of lean body mass, cause gout, gallstones, low blood sugar, constipation - the list goes on and on.  I sometimes wonder if the $500,000 is worth what the contestants have to risk in terms of their health in order to win it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Theresa not only brought a food ration, but she had the self-discipline to eke it out so she could survive longer.  Most people coming on this show have never really felt hunger.  So for anyone who brought them, easy rations sitting there are tempting when the first pangs start up.  I think Theresa's deep scholastic background prepared her for spare conditions--she knew how little actual food people subsisted on in historical times, and how gathering stretched the food budget.  I think that knowledge gives her mental confidence.  This competition is mental as well as physical, and Theresa has the mental part in the bag.  She just has to pull off the physical part.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Theresa not only brought a food ration, but she had the self-discipline to eke it out so she could survive longer.  Most people coming on this show have never really felt hunger.  So for anyone who brought them, easy rations sitting there are tempting when the first pangs start up.  I think Theresa's deep scholastic background prepared her for spare conditions--she knew how little actual food people subsisted on in historical times, and how gathering stretched the food budget.  I think that knowledge gives her mental confidence.  This competition is mental as well as physical, and Theresa has the mental part in the bag.  She just has to pull off the physical part.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Mental and emotional preparation are high on the list to survive out there and Theresa has that down.  Her quirky accents put me off at first but now she is my favorite to win by far, and that's in spite of the fact that I've also grown to appreciate Biko more as well.

She has the strategy part down too bringing the food ration.  It amazes me how many of them don't.  If that were me I'd make sure to bring 2 pounds of something with a lot of fat in it, like the pemmican and peanuts.  Most of what they catch out there is either fish or small animals and they don't get enough fat.  She probably knows just how to balance out what she's getting to optimize her overall nutrition.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I sometimes wonder if the $500,000 is worth what the contestants have to risk in terms of their health in order to win it.

I agree. I remember reading about the long term mental and physical effects of starvation on the contestants in early seasons of Survivor and they were no joke. In fact, now viewers sometimes complain people are getting too much food, although they're still eating very little. But I'm sure production realized destroying people's health permanently wasn't a good look. I'd like to see the same on Alone. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I agree. I remember reading about the long term mental and physical effects of starvation on the contestants in early seasons of Survivor and they were no joke. In fact, now viewers sometimes complain people are getting too much food, although they're still eating very little. But I'm sure production realized destroying people's health permanently wasn't a good look. I'd like to see the same on Alone. 

Do you have any links on the starvation effects?  I remember the "Survivors" eating rats waaaaay back in the beginning.  Damn I'm old 😎

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Do you have any links on the starvation effects?  I remember the "Survivors" eating rats waaaaay back in the beginning? 

The rats! I completely forgot! No, sorry. I don't have any specific links, I'm just remembering comments from ancient interviews. I remember people discussing the many and varied effects they struggled with, from not trusting anyone, to parasites, to some that were specific to rapid weight loss. I wish I could give you details, but it's all a blur. 

The only person who reported positive effects was Elizabeth Hasselback, who discovered after barely eating for so long, that she had celiac disease. 

Oh, and I just thought of Tom Hanks who's convinced that alternately stuffing then starving himself for Castaway and Philadelphia is what gave him Type 2 diabetes. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else have trouble understanding Colter?  I was getting maybe a quarter of what he was saying and the rest just sounded like mumbling.  I felt like he was definitely losing it mentally.  It didn't make sense to me because he's the guy that already lives as a hermit on an island in Alaska. 

I was trying not to look when they were doing the medical check-ups because I thought it was even odds that Colter, Biko, or Theresa was going.  I figured Clay would be safe.  But I really thought it would be Theresa since she's lost 25% of her body weight.  I'm really glad she's still there.  And look, she's so clean!

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Did anyone else have trouble understanding Colter? 

I have said that before. I cant understand what hes saying, his voice seems to blend in with the wind as he talks , or maybe its dirt compacted in his sinuses. All I know is he is very hard to hear and understand.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, SassyCat said:

I have said that before. I cant understand what hes saying, his voice seems to blend in with the wind as he talks , or maybe its dirt compacted in his sinuses. All I know is he is very hard to hear and understand.

And it doesn't help that he has a beard that covers his lips.  I couldn't function without closed captioning on everything.

2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Just a heads-up:

8/19 will have two new episodes, 8:00 p.m. ET---11:05 p.m., preceded by Episodes 8 and 9.

Just to clarify, the second new episode is entitled "Ultimate Moments".  It's a look back on "some of the most incredible moments from past seasons of Alone".

On 8/16/2021 at 12:53 PM, AZChristian said:

And it doesn't help that he has a beard that covers his lips.  I couldn't function without closed captioning on everything.

Since I started using closed captioning, I've found that I have trouble hearing what anybody says, not just Colter.  In many cases, even the closed captioning isn't enough.  An actor will trail off a sentence, and the last part is just unintelligible.  The closed captions can't pick it up, and neither can I.  This has become especially more common with reality TV, since a lot of shots are just one offs, and if they don't enunciate properly, oh well it's gone.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2021 at 1:26 AM, HurricaneVal said:

Theresa not only brought a food ration, but she had the self-discipline to eke it out so she could survive longer.

Where are you getting this information?  Not that she had a food ration among her 10 items, but that she is rationing it out?  I don't recall her mentioning it on the show.