Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E10: Week 10

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wish they'd use wite-out on the "e" in their "forego."  We're closing in on two decades of that misspelling.

Merriam-Webster now lists a second definition of forego as a "less common spelling of forgo" so it's not technically wrong anymore. In lexical semantics, if a mis-usage is pervasive enough, it eventually becomes accepted usage (like the second meaning of literally), as much as those of us who are sticklers might hate it. 🤷‍♀️

Since no one believes Katie's net worth as posted multiple places on the Internet, what would be/could be the net worth of a 30-year-old bank marketing manager. According to Salary.com, the average Marketing Manager salary in Washington is $115,225 as of July 28, 2021, but the range typically falls between $100,411 and $135,658. During an interview with Ryan Seacrest  (link here)  she said she has been working for a bank 10 years. Sure, she probably wasn't making $100,000 to start, but her net worth has to be a bazillion more times greater than mine.

One bio website now lists her occupation as "actress." Anyone believe that or is it bogus too.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Since no one believes Katie's net worth as posted multiple places on the Internet, what would be/could be the net worth of a 30-year-old bank marketing manager. According to Salary.com, the average Marketing Manager salary in Washington is $115,225 as of July 28, 2021, but the range typically falls between $100,411 and $135,658. During an interview with Ryan Seacrest  (link here)  she said she has been working for a bank 10 years. Sure, she probably wasn't making $100,000 to start, but her net worth has to be a bazillion more times greater than mine.

It's still very unlikely to be close to $1-5M. An individual's net worth is the value of their assets minus their liabilities. Assets are things like real estate holdings, stocks/bonds, and cash. Liabilities are debts (student loans, mortgage, credit cards, car payments), court-ordered payments, etc.

Even if she has been making, on average, $100k/year for the past ten years, you need to subtract taxes, living expenses (which in the Seattle area are among the highest in the country), and potentially student loan payments. Unless she lived at home rent-free, had no student debt, was a diligent saver, *and* a prescient investor, she could not have grown her net worth that much during that time. It's simple arithmetic and common sense.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, deSchenke said:

Or she had a great trust fund.

IIRC, the story she presented on Matt's season is that she grew up with a single mom who struggled financially.

Usually, if a lead either comes from money - e.g. Emily, JoJo, Arie - or has self-made wealth - e.g. Brad - they and/or the show are not shy about advertising that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

IIRC, the story she presented on Matt's season is that she grew up with a single mom who struggled financially.

Usually, if a lead either comes from money - e.g. Emily, JoJo, Arie - or has self-made wealth - e.g. Brad - they and/or the show are not shy about advertising that.

Speaking of Brad, he is really, really hot. I haven't been that into any of the Bachelors since I've watched the show. I've found them handsome, but they've all been a little boyish and/or vanilla for my tastes. Brad was manly and sexy. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It's still very unlikely to be close to $1-5M. An individual's net worth is the value of their assets minus their liabilities. Assets are things like real estate holdings, stocks/bonds, and cash. Liabilities are debts (student loans, mortgage, credit cards, car payments), court-ordered payments, etc.

Even if she has been making, on average, $100k/year for the past ten years, you need to subtract taxes, living expenses (which in the Seattle area are among the highest in the country), and potentially student loan payments. Unless she lived at home rent-free, had no student debt, was a diligent saver, *and* a prescient investor, she could not have grown her net worth that much during that time. It's simple arithmetic and common sense.

Agreed, plus most people tend to live at their salary level or close to it.  As you indicated much of the salary would go to some sort of expense or purchase, with a little bit going towards savings in the bank.  Even if she increases her salary now, she will be like many of them moving to a more expensive area and more expensive home.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Merriam-Webster now lists a second definition of forego as a "less common spelling of forgo" so it's not technically wrong anymore. 

From what I've seen, "forego" might not be the less common spelling.  Although TB pads those stats, with 20 years, meaning how many seasons, and 3 fantasy suite cards per season.

16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

In lexical semantics, if a mis-usage is pervasive enough, it eventually becomes accepted usage (like the second meaning of literally), as much as those of us who are sticklers might hate it. 🤷‍♀️

I don't know if resisting a word changing into having literally the opposite meaning is being a stickler.  If "literally" has become a synonym for "metaphorically," then what takes "literally"'s place?  Do we say, "There were literally, and I mean literally to mean literally, not metaphorically, but actually and truly and I counted them, a thousand people there"?

I once happened to be in the "video" room of a late-night national talk show (I don't know what it's called--it's where the person who pulls up videos during the show does the magic), just as the guest of a friend.  Before the show, they were running through the video bits they'd made, and one had a misspelling that I pointed out.  It was on the screen for only a second or two, so they had to run it back to see it, and at first they didn't really believe that it was misspelled.  Calls were made, and some confusion reigned because it wasn't a common word, but about 30 minutes later, a corrected video showed up.

I think about that every single time I see that damn fantasy suite date card.  Now, it's true that if I hadn't been in that video room, the word would have been misspelled, but this wasn't something that had as many hands and eyes on it as fantasy suite date cards for 20 years.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I have caught misspelling on videos and cards tv newscasts use. Not often, but they leap out at me, just like misspelled printed words do when the magazine, that we have all proofed a zillion times, is printed and in hand. Invisible before, glaringly obvious when it's too late. So kudos to you, @StatisticalOutlier, for LITERALLY catching and killing one IRL!

According to Katie's interviews, she had purchased a house, had a 401k and other investments. She's a financial person so knows those things. Of course the show wants us to believe she was a dirt-poor almost-orphan. Personally, I think she was/is pretty well off. She also was very active on SM and had lots of followers after one of her videos went viral, this well before she was on The Bach the first time. That video had to do with some sex act, which can answer why she brought her dildo friend to Matt's party.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is "glow up" a term?  I love it.

This show does like to GLOW UP the contestants who appear in this franchise!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have caught misspelling on videos and cards tv newscasts use. Not often, but they leap out at me, just like misspelled printed words do when the magazine, that we have all proofed a zillion times, is printed and in hand. Invisible before, glaringly obvious when it's too late. So kudos to you, @StatisticalOutlier, for LITERALLY catching and killing one IRL!

A year or so ago, TBS or one of those stations was constantly running this promo for Modern Family on "Weekenights" at such and such time. The misspelled word was in a huge, fancy font and was basically a giant graphic across the screen, I was stunned that no one involved in the making of that thing caught it.

After a few weeks, it was suddenly corrected and if I hadn't taken a screenshot of it once, I wouldn't be sure it had ever run with the misspelling.

This show does like to GLOW UP the contestants who appear in this franchise!

Remember the days before "influencer" was deemed a legit job? Lots of "social media managers" back then, which really just meant " unemployed, but posts a lot of shit on their FB/instagram page." 

As for Katie's job, she's 30 and even if she's making 6 figures now, she wasn't making that straight out of school. The Bachelor stints are surely making her a lot of money now, but that net worth estimate still seems quite high.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I once happened to be in the "video" room of a late-night national talk show (I don't know what it's called--it's where the person who pulls up videos during the show does the magic), just as the guest of a friend.  Before the show, they were running through the video bits they'd made, and one had a misspelling that I pointed out.  It was on the screen for only a second or two, so they had to run it back to see it, and at first they didn't really believe that it was misspelled.  Calls were made, and some confusion reigned because it wasn't a common word, but about 30 minutes later, a corrected video showed up.

If you want to see the most egregious misspellings, on a very routine basis, turn on closed captioning.  I was watching the Olympics when Simone Biles pulled out from some of her events and stayed to watch the events, and the screen said that Simone Biles was a "suspect tater".  Dontcha know what that is?  It's a spectator!

• LOL 5

The interest in Katie’s net worth surprises me. Money does not make Katie a lady. Her language (trashy, nasty and hateful), “sex positivity” (loose), family  (ugh), and complete all around lack of taste combine to make her the least desirable bachelorette ever. And that’s saying a lot. If this show wants men to clamor and fall in love, they need to find classier women. 

Of course if you lock me up and starve me for a month or two, even garbage will look appealing. Which is of course the premise of this show.

Katie didn’t teach these bachelors anything other than what NOT to look for in a partner… no matter what they say. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, MissPriss said:

The interest in Katie’s net worth surprises me. Money does not make Katie a lady.

It only came up because someone quoted a wildly exaggerated number, and I, as an analytical person, couldn't let it stand. 😄 I agree that whatever her net worth is, she is no prize.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 8/13/2021 at 10:05 AM, deSchenke said:

They need someone slightly older than the contestants to be the host. I don't care if it is male or female. The Bachelor or Bachelorette responded to Chris Harrison like he was their favorite uncle who they could confide in.

I didn't really see that vibe.  Maybe like that distant uncle they saw once a year. 

But Chris was only 31/32 when he started hosting The Bachelor.  So he was around the age of the contestants when it started.  If the women, who I liked, continue, they'll age out as well. I didn't think they took away from Katie. There were episodes when we barely saw them.

• Love 2

To me Chris came out as happy to be the host of the series.

The girls, on the other hand, seemed to be competing for attention and trying to get chosen for a permanent gig on the show.

Personally I could not stop looking at Kaitlin and wondering what the heck happened to her.  She looks old and dark with the work she had done. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

The girls, on the other hand, seemed to be competing for attention and trying to get chosen for a permanent gig on the show.

Personally I could not stop looking at Kaitlin and wondering what the heck happened to her.  She looks old and dark with the work she had done. 

I think just Tayshia by herself could develop into being a good host.

There does need to be a better separation between being an “advisor” or sounding board for the Bachelor or Bachelorette vs. interjecting and influencing anything.

I really do like the idea of a female hosting the Bachelorette and a male hosting he Bachelor.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Exactly. Chris showed up and did his job.

Yeah, and I think all of that takes attention away from The Bachelorette. 

Some of it isn't the women's fault. Tayshia can't help her beauty, but she's going to outshine most of the Bachelorettes. I can see her as a good host, just not for this show.

• Love 5