Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Family Business

• Start Topic

As Deran and J compete for control of the family, Pamela presents the Codys with a risky proposition. Pope processes an additional loss by exploding in violence and Craig does business with Frankie.

Air date: Aug 8, 2021

Jay seems like he’s so high on himself I might be rooting for Deran cause he seems like he knows what he’s doing at least but idk he’s a dbags too lol. Still not sure about this Pamela chick. Seems like the show wanted to kill off Smurf for shock value and now they are trying to get Pamela to fill that void. 

I know a lot of ppl don’t like Smurf but honestly without her the show is lacking and missing something for me and Pamela will not fill that.

• Love 6

The worst thing that Smurf did to her kids was to put them in that eternal adolescence of 'make enough money to surf and buy drugs', without giving them the tools to plan their lives, J excepted.  So, here they are, completely at Pamela's beck and call and none of them really has an idea of how to build up their family business, now that it's gone.  They're consigned to doing day jobs for other people and taking all the risk.  All that is not to say that I'm rooting for them, but it really sucks when being a criminal is harder than making an honest living. 

Pamela said that Phoenix babysat them for Smurf?  He's no older than them.

I'm betting there's a whole lot more in the safe than blackmail material, and that's just the cover story.

Sorry, but as soon as I saw Jerry, all I could think of was Parks and Recreation.

Also sorry, but Shane deserved to get beaten, just 'cause anyone on a bike who can't outrun someone on foot deserves to get thumped.

9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The worst thing that Smurf did to her kids was to put them in that eternal adolescence of 'make enough money to surf and buy drugs', without giving them the tools to plan their lives, J excepted.  So, here they are, completely at Pamela's beck and call and none of them really has an idea of how to build up their family business, now that it's gone.  They're consigned to doing day jobs for other people and taking all the risk.  All that is not to say that I'm rooting for them, but it really sucks when being a criminal is harder than making an honest living. 

Maybe a few years older.  My babysitter was 5 years older than me and now 40 years later we are friends.  
I can’t be the only one that finds Pamela’s acting a little over the top?  Not familiar with the actress but the way she is playing the character doesn’t come off as natural.  

• Love 7

And once again the flashbacks had fuck-all to do with the present day storyline. I just don't get it. You would think that since Pamela is playing such an important role in the story, the flashbacks would sync up with Smurf and Pamela in the past, but we are already through with past Pamela, who kicked Smurf out. It makes no sense whatsoever. I would love to find out the real story behind this some day. Who thought this weird, split narrative thing they've got going on was a good idea?

The worst thing that Smurf did to her kids was to put them in that eternal adolescence of 'make enough money to surf and buy drugs', without giving them the tools to plan their lives, J excepted

But before she died, Smurf gave them all properties. Plus Deran has a bar and J has a bowling alley and a laundromat. None of them need to commit crimes anymore. They should all be self-sufficient and have plenty of money on their own. I get that maybe they don't want to lose their childhood home but none of them should be broke. It's like the writers don't remember from one episode to the next.

• Love 2

I don't normally like the flashback scenes, but Smurf's declaration about raising her kids in "the family business" is as significant as it is chilling. As much as I miss Ellen Barkin, let's not forget what a monster her character was. 

I'm afraid that job Pamela sent the guys on will go terribly wrong, and Pamela won't even get her hands dirty. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And once again the flashbacks had fuck-all to do with the present day storyline.

All I can think of is that somehow Jerry the cop is going to get pulled into Smurf's web somehow, with implications far down the road. 

I find myself not routing for J or Deran in their struggle for leader. J isn't entirely trustworthy. His Uncles should keep an eye on him. We've seen Deran try to run a job before with a team he recruited. If I recall correctly it didn't end so well with one of the guys he recruited. He's not as great at being a leader as he probably thinks he is. Also, he is now on that cops radar because of Adrian. I assume that will come back into play at some point. Pope has always seemed more knowledgeable than anyone other than Baz about pulling off jobs. But he can't handle that kind of thing right now.

I still can't believe they killed off Smurf. Yes, the character was a terrible person, but she was clearly the one holding the family business together. The show just isn't as interesting without her. And Pamela, so far, is no replacement for Smurf. Also, there is still a season after this one, so I really hope Pamela isn't coming back next season and this Pamela arc will die soon.

And please show, I beg of you, no more Young Smurf.

Edited by TooMuchRealityTV
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But before she died, Smurf gave them all properties. Plus Deran has a bar and J has a bowling alley and a laundromat. None of them need to commit crimes anymore. They should all be self-sufficient and have plenty of money on their own. I get that maybe they don't want to lose their childhood home but none of them should be broke. It's like the writers don't remember from one episode to the next.

This is making me a little nuts. If this season is supposed to hinge on the Codys being destitute then please make them not be home/business owners (who have zero issue robbing people blind).

5 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

I can’t be the only one that finds Pamela’s acting a little over the top?  Not familiar with the actress but the way she is playing the character doesn’t come off as natural.  

I think Ellen Barkin overdid it a bit, too (even though I miss her) so I'm blaming Sister Peg's overdramatic delivery on the showrunners.

I really wish they'd give Shawn Hatosy more things to do than lost time rages. We're 5 episodes in and not a lot has happened so I'm hoping this spiral has a payoff.

I'm not clear on why we're supposed to believe Past Smurf is now a focused crime lord and I don't get the elaborate plan she put together to meet a cop (who she instinctively knew was corruptible?) by speeding with her kids in a stolen car. There would have to be less potentially risky ways to put a cop on payroll.

This may all be in my imagination but 

Spoiler

did anyone else think the show was setting up something between Phoenix and Deran?  Phoenix just seemed a bit unlike his mother and niece, a little more reserved, and Deran wasn't openly hostile to him.

Finally, Frankie? Is the worst. Get it together, Craig.

• Love 3

The flashbacks showed how smurf started getting her network going and how she started building stuff up. She got a cop on her side which of course is helpful.

And that's relevant . . . how, exactly? Smurf is dead. Why are we being "treated" to flashbacks of a dead character? This would make somewhat more sense if she was still living with Pam, as I said above, but she's not. There are two different stories going on in two different timelines here, and they are only very tangentially related to one another. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Finally, Frankie? Is the worst. Get it together, Craig.

Seriously!  Just when I was starting to think better of Craig and that there might actually be hope for him, Ren and the baby coming out of this okay.  He was never the sharpest tool in the shed but I think that's kind of helped him not end up with the psychological issues the others have.   

Also, it's been so long between last season and this season about the only thing I remember from last season is fast forwarding through all the Old Adventures of Young Smurf so when the guy at the beach said Angela just died two days ago I was thinking "wait, didn't J kill her last season?"  But I think he got her back on drugs but didn't technically kill her.  So then I started trying to remember who J has killed and who Pope has killed (I don't think Craig or Deran have killed anyone) .   For J I've got:  Smurf, lawyer lady, that girl he was sleeping with that was related to the auto mechanic guy....  I feel like there's at least two more.  Pope: Lena's mom,  Baz's girlfriend(s)?  I also couldn't remember if Pope killed Baz or had him killed or had nothing to do with it.  You'd think I'd be able to keep my murders straight!  I'm also a little disturbed that (unless I'm wrong) the only people they've killed are all women. 

No one's living situation makes any sense.  Jay has that fancy condo yet is living at the house (to watch Pope?).  Deran has the beach house but he chooses to sleep at the bar?  Is that because the house reminds  him too much of Adrian?  

Lastly, what is up with the say J dresses with the button to the top about to choke him and the jeans with the cuff?  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

For J I've got:  Smurf, lawyer lady, that girl he was sleeping with that was related to the auto mechanic guy....  I feel like there's at least two more.  Pope: Lena's mom,  Baz's girlfriend(s)?  I also couldn't remember if Pope killed Baz or had him killed or had nothing to do with it. 

Baz was killed by the girl related to the mechanic (Mia). I think it was ordered by Smurf after he stole from her. Can't remember the details.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And that's relevant . . . how, exactly? Smurf is dead. Why are we being "treated" to flashbacks of a dead character? This would make somewhat more sense if she was still living with Pam, as I said above, but she's not. There are two different stories going on in two different timelines here, and they are only very tangentially related to one another. 

I guess somehow it’s supposed to tie in with Pamela eventually. At least that’s what I’m hoping. Because I’m still not getting why Pamela got left everything. So hopefully it all makes sense eventually.

Im close to quitting watching tho so I hope things actually start moving forward or making sense. 

This should be the shows last season tho IMO.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I keep thinking the flashbacks are meant to fill in Jake and Pope's relationship in the past so we know where they stand when Jake shows up in the present. Or even that they couldn't get old Jake's actor back because of Covid so they went with flashbacks instead.

Also isn't the cop in this episode the same one played by James Remar last year?

I think the Smurf scenes are to show that for better and worse Smurf’s scraped her way to what she became using anyone (including her own children) as tools to get ahead.   The irony is that young Smurf would have been disgusted by them and their lack of inspiration.  She raised muscle and little else.  Young Smurf would have probably robbed them and done it easily if they had been strangers.   Which is probably why she left them nothing.  She loved them but didn’t respect them.

I also think the past is to show that if Smurf had been any kind of caring mother she might have helped Pope as a child.   But the only one he had to take care of him at all was Julia.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Some members here are expressing their distaste to the flashbacks by asking the writers 'no more, please' of the flashbacks....don't they know that all the episodes are in the can, in other words filmed, so your going to be stuck with it till the end of this season, anyway.

• Love 4
On 8/9/2021 at 6:24 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

Lastly, what is up with the say J dresses with the button to the top about to choke him and the jeans with the cuff?  

In the first season or 2, Pope always wore his shirt buttoned to the top like that.  I noticed now he wears his top button undone and Jay wears his buttoned to the top like that.  

Pope got out of prison only two years ago?

I'd have to rewatch with closed captioning but I couldn't tell if he said two years ago or a few years ago. 

Is Jerry Craig’s father maybe?

Jake is Craig's father. Unless Smurf was lying. But seeing as she's currently with Jake in the flashbacks I'm assuming her pregnancy with Craig is coming up. 

So now Pope's so far gone that he's actually going to BE gone?

Well, he's in the previews so gone from Oceanside, maybe, but not gone from the show.

Angela just died two days ago I was thinking "wait, didn't J kill her last season?"  But I think he got her back on drugs but didn't technically kill her.

I don't know what was behind the decision to kill off Angela. She was still in the thick of things at the end of last season. She's the one who intercepted Smurf's will and gave it to J, and she was still positioning herself as Pope's puppet master/girlfriend. I don't think her leaving had anything to do with Covid because they had already shot the first few episodes before they had to shut down.

So then I started trying to remember who J has killed and who Pope has killed (I don't think Craig or Deran have killed anyone) .   For J I've got:  Smurf, lawyer lady, that girl he was sleeping with that was related to the auto mechanic guy....  I feel like there's at least two more.

Morgan (Smurf's attorney) is the first person J killed, back in Season 3. He shot Mia last season after she and her ex-boyfriend robbed them after the concert heist. Those were the only 2 people J killed until he shot Smurf last season.

Pope: Lena's mom,  Baz's girlfriend(s)?  I also couldn't remember if Pope killed Baz or had him killed or had nothing to do with it.  You'd think I'd be able to keep my murders straight! 

Pope apparently killed Catherine's entire family at Smurf's behest because they were going to turn state's evidence against the Codys. This happened years ago, pre-show. Pope did kill Catherine eventually - again at Smurf's behest - back in Season 1. I don't think Pope has killed anyone else since then.

Mia killed Baz, apparently Smurf paid Pete to take him out and Pete put Mia on the job. I'm not clear how Mia was related to Pete, if at all. Pete allowed J to execute her after J went to him and told him Mia and her ex robbed them.

• Love 2

Nice to see the actor again who's playing Phoenix. He was great on the recently-ended Queen of the South.

Was going to make a mean comment about "Lark" but then I remembered Lark Voorhees.😉

Of course Pamela wants the boys to do a job. What else are they good for? Bet that job will go sideways because of whatever else is in the safe.

Was that a chem test between J and Lark? It might benefit him to seduce Pamela's consigliere granddaughter.

Wow, the valet just handed over a car like that on a weak excuse? Hopefully he was arrested for grand theft.

Pope must be in great shape to run down someone on a bicycle. A lot of that might have been adrenaline though.

Was Frankie that thin before? She looked almost skeletal to me. Hope the actress is okay.

Whoa, Craig went there again with Frankie. That was surprising, in a bad way. She seems to be caught up in something dire that won't be safe for Craig.

If only Smurf had used her powers for good. That was something the way she worked that cop. Guess he was the first one she put on the payroll.

Deran moving back into the Cody house is interesting. More opportunity for him and J to get on each other's nerves and try to kill each other.

I can’t be the only one that finds Pamela’s acting a little over the top?  

No, I also think she's doing a lot of mustache-twirling.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2021 at 11:11 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Also sorry, but Shane deserved to get beaten, just 'cause anyone on a bike who can't outrun someone on foot deserves to get thumped.

Pope chasing Shane reminded me of a terminator.  You can run, you can jump, you can get on a bike, but..."It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!"

On 8/9/2021 at 12:31 PM, TooMuchRealityTV said:

And please show, I beg of you, no more Young Smurf.

I'll sign off on this.

Young Smurf is becoming less and less likeable with each show. Setting aside the fact that she has the maternal instincts of a reptile, the whole I'm-a-cunning, freewheeling, sexy-AF, tough-as-nails, powerful-alpha-female-who's-ahead-of-my-time schtick is getting ponderous.  At least Barkin was kind of interesting to watch, with her her frozen face and semi-paralyzed mouth.  

On 8/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

He was never the sharpest tool in the shed but I think that's kind of helped him not end up with the psychological issues the others have.

I was just dropping in to say that no one's ever accused any of Smurf's boys of being the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, but it seemed to me that Renn was up to something when she was insisting that she go get the baby formula and Craig didn't pick up on it.  Maybe, having just left Frankie, he was thinking with his little head instead of his big one.   

I'm a little surprised to hear that there's going to be another season after this.  Right now it seems, like many shows do, it's overstayed its welcome.  It should've ended last season.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1

I don’t hate the flashbacks as much as other people do, exactly, but I really wish we could skip around in time a bit more, get to her finding Baz and having Craig and Darran and seeing how they grew up. I think that would be a lot more interesting than just having the same flashbacks over and over. Smurf’s sexy, a criminal mastermind (sometimes) and a terrible mom, which is really the part we should be focusing on. How she affected her family and how they’re handling her not being the center of their world for the first time, for better or for worse. 

On 8/14/2021 at 4:43 PM, Lone Wolf said:

I was just dropping in to say that no one's ever accused any of Smurf's boys of being the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, but it seemed to me that Renn was up to something when she was insisting that she go get the baby formula and Craig didn't pick up on it.  Maybe, having just left Frankie, he was thinking with his little head instead of his big one. 

I def think Renn is up to something. What that is I have no idea.

• Love 1

May be my first time comment on this show here, but I'm happy it's back. Like many others, I've never liked the flashbacks and am sorry they are still going on (but, to a lesser degree so silver linings?)

May have been a different episode (but I think I have it right), I have to applaude Shawn Hatosy's acting when talking to Deran about how he hears Smurf's voice. When he repeated and yelled how he hears her voice EVERYWHERE the screech and his voice cracking was absolutely from the gut and heartbreaking. 

On 8/17/2021 at 11:19 AM, hookedontv said:

I have to applaude Shawn Hatosy's acting when talking to Deran about how he hears Smurf's voice. When he repeated and yelled how he hears her voice EVERYWHERE the screech and his voice cracking was absolutely from the gut and heartbreaking. 

Some actors are so good, like Hatosy, they really make the subpar material come alive.  Barkin and Speedman were like that also, the rest of the cast, not so much.

• Love 3
On 8/8/2021 at 11:11 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Shawn Hatosy is older than Alimi Ballard in real life. But for the story Phenoix was an athlete and while the Cody's do extreme sports Pope does have the prison time to age him

On 8/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was Frankie that thin before? She looked almost skeletal to me. Hope the actress is okay.

Whoa, Craig went there again with Frankie. That was surprising, in a bad way. She seems to be caught up in something dire that won't be safe for Craig.

For an actress that I have known about 15 years last season I noticed her hips being wider and chalked it up to father time. It may be wardrobe choices to bring her back to her previous apparent size. 

On 8/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, iMonrey said:

I'd have to rewatch with closed captioning but I couldn't tell if he said two years ago or a few years ago. 

I am pretty sure the other ex convict at the baptism said he had been out for 18 months and Pope replied 2 years for himself.