Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Finale

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, nokat said:

After a certain age, your boobs want to escape out loose armholes.

Most of the time, when the judges say "Tell us about your girl" they really do mean GIRL.  Unless you have a really small bust (maybe a B but more likely an A) a lot of women in their 30's even would have trouble with a dress like this.    But the thing that I really did appreciate about Gary was that , while he did have some dresses that could only be worn by certain body types, several of his looks could indeed be worn by a wide variety of ages and sizes.  I think this was his attempt to add "sexiness" to his collection - which really doesn't seem like his usual aesthetic.  Heidi and Winnie don't seem to realize that a lot of women want pretty, sophisticated clothes and if they come across as sexy it is because of the fit and how flattering they are, not because they show cleavage, are really short or are super tight.  Blatantly sexy clothes are fine for certain occasions (and certain personality types) but don't really work well in your day to day life.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Most of the time, when the judges say "Tell us about your girl" they really do mean GIRL.

I had commented earlier that one of his dresses on Amazon looked good on many body sizes. I think women can be very sexy just by being confident in what they're wearing. You don't have to show off cleavage or side boob, just wearing a well fitted dress is sexy enough.

• Love 7

All three of these designers will be successful. I think that any of them could have won. I was a fan of Andrea P from the start, but Andrea S won me over the past two episodes, because of her business sense. Andrea S. really understands her brand, and how to catch people's attention, but she also understands the business side. I'm not surprised that Amazon wants to work with all three, they really are incredible designers. I love Gary's textiles and prints, they are so unique. I love Andrea P's eye for colors, and how her designs are so flattering. I noticed the same thing when I went to her wedding dress site. 

• Love 3
On 8/6/2021 at 7:49 PM, DEL901 said:

Did Miami Andrea pick out fabrics for NY Andrea?    They were hideous on tv…maybe they looked better in person?    And both Andreas were designing for a narrow market…what would Heidi wear?    Gary designed clothes that would have a huge potential market.   They were beautiful, unique patterns and wearable.   Anyone who isn’t a model spends most of their budget on this type of clothing.   He was robbed.  

eta. I thought it was very telling that the ONLY designer on the panel loved Gary’s work and vision.  

Taste is subjective, but there is no way that Gary's clothes would appeal to a wider market than Andrea P's, and that's fine. Designers need a signature style, and should do what works for them.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

If there is a future season of this, they have given away the secret to winning-design everything for Heidi (and Winnie if she is still a judge).  That really seemed to be the most important consideration.  So, sequins, short, and 'sexy.'  It would be hilarious if there is a next season and every single contestant had the same aesthetic which just so happened to match Heidi's taste.

This is so funny, because so many of the objections to the two Andrea's is that people wouldn't wear their clothes, or that older women wouldn't wear their clothes. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, akg said:

Keep an eye out for coupons. Jo-ann's (at least the last time I shopped there) would take them from Hobby Lobby and Michael's as long as what you're buying is sold in the other store (so no Michael's coupons for fabric). 

Speaking of fabric (and back on topic), Gary could definitely have a side business in selling just fabric by the yard. 

I've been thinking on the fabric. He could print out fabric and have a make this kit? He's so creative with the fabrics. I'd buy the fabric if he just went around taking photos and making prints.

• Love 3

This show is too much Heidi.  I liked her on Project Runway, but as others have said, she is not a fashion expert.  You can't judge just based on 'i'd buy that' 'my husband would wear that'.  it's not fashion forward enough.  I liked Andrea P. at first, but her final runway was a hot mess.  Made no sense based on what she sent out before.  Gary will be the one still standing a year from now, in my opinion.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, nokat said:

I've been thinking on the fabric. He could print out fabric and have a make this kit? He's so creative with the fabrics. I'd buy the fabric if he just went around taking photos and making prints.

Me too. I have been looking to start making my own clothes again, I used to in my teens and loved it, and I would 100% use Gary's fabrics. He has such a great eye for pattern and print. A big fashion house should snatch him up as their print designer. 

• Love 2

I watch all of these design shows and I have for years.  After this season I came to the realization that the people I root for are most likely not going to win.

I don't know what the judges are smoking but their idea of what will sell is off.  Other than avant-garde outfits I usually like something I (plus size), my daughter (size medium), my daughter in law (small)  would wear.  I have included all shapes and sizes here so I'd like to think I am an average buyer.  

Let's see how many of Gary's outfits will sell over Andrea's.  Also to be honest there were some plus size stuff she designed I would wear, such as that denim set.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, jabRI said:

This show is too much Heidi.  I liked her on Project Runway, but as others have said, she is not a fashion expert.  You can't judge just based on 'i'd buy that' 'my husband would wear that'.  it's not fashion forward enough.  I liked Andrea P. at first, but her final runway was a hot mess.  Made no sense based on what she sent out before.  Gary will be the one still standing a year from now, in my opinion.

On Project Runway she was balanced out with designers who would point out the unfortunately placed pattern.

• Love 5

Refuse to watch since Gary didn't win, but did appreciate the quality of the production. The fabrics and other materials, the runway shows were slick and looked expensive. Gary is a talented designer. I hope this show boosts/restarts his career. 

• Love 7

I think Jeremy was this close to calling Heidi an idiot. Gary's collection was stunning. I can see why Andrea P won. She fits Amazon's aesthetic more, I think, though I'm glad Gary's pieces were for sale, too. I hope this gives him a boost because his collection was incredible.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I liked NY Andrea and felt like her win made sense from a business standpoint for Amazon. But Gary was absolutely the best designer of the group. I was really hoping that Jeremy would offer him a mentorship or something, but hopefully he gets his confidence up enough to keep his brand going for all of us to buy. 

Looking at the stores on Amazon, 3rd Place Andrea’s just looks uncomfortable, NY Andrea’s runway collection did NOT transfer well to retail - loved it in the episode, have zero interest in the pieces they’re selling - and Gary’s stuff is gorgeous so of course is totally sold out. But his merch store has some really cute tshirts for $20, so I’ll support him that way for now! 

• Love 7

I looked on Amazon, NY Andrea had some odd offerings, 'keyhole turtleneck'.  I don't get it. I liked her a lot throughout the competition, but did not see the same aesthetic on the Amazon store.

6 hours ago, thetvpusher said:

I liked NY Andrea and felt like her win made sense from a business standpoint for Amazon. But Gary was absolutely the best designer of the group. I was really hoping that Jeremy would offer him a mentorship or something, but hopefully he gets his confidence up enough to keep his brand going for all of us to buy. 

Looking at the stores on Amazon, 3rd Place Andrea’s just looks uncomfortable, NY Andrea’s runway collection did NOT transfer well to retail - loved it in the episode, have zero interest in the pieces they’re selling - and Gary’s stuff is gorgeous so of course is totally sold out. But his merch store has some really cute tshirts for $20, so I’ll support him that way for now! 

Everything of Gary's that I looked at, sold out.

To wear the yellow houndstooth , maybe if I licked a toad. 

What they apparently thought would transfer to retail, really didn't. As for 3rd place Andrea, if I get invited to my high school reunion in Miami, maybe.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I'm just going to say it, is it possible they didn't want a man to win as one did for season 1?

I'm pretty sure it was the Amazon woman who dresses her cat who made the decision.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

That makes sense and she seemed to love sequins just as much as Heidi and Winnie.

Aren't we all on the red carpet getting photographed? I want something pretty and flattering to wear to a company get together and have people exclaim over my dress. People asking who are you wearing and not what are you wearing.

• Love 1

Noooo!  I so wanted Gary to win,  I liked NY Andrea but that last collection...what the hell?  I thought it was awful.  And Gary’s was amazing.  There was no drama. It was completely clear that Winnie was voting for Andrea.  Why doesn’t Tim get to be a judge?  They need to get actual designers, not models, to judge.  Or fashion critics/editors.  Winnie and Heidi only kept saying ‘I’d wear that’.  That’s not what it’s about!

Disappointed, Gary was head and shoulders above the rest.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

Noooo!  I so wanted Gary to win,  I liked NY Andrea but that last collection...what the hell?  I thought it was awful.  And Gary’s was amazing.  There was no drama. It was completely clear that Winnie was voting for Andrea.  Why doesn’t Tim get to be a judge?  They need to get actual designers, not models, to judge.  Or fashion critics/editors.  Winnie and Heidi only kept saying ‘I’d wear that’.  That’s not what it’s about!

Disappointed, Gary was head and shoulders above the rest.

7 hours ago, nokat said:

Aren't we all on the red carpet getting photographed? I want something pretty and flattering to wear to a company get together and have people exclaim over my dress. People asking who are you wearing and not what are you wearing.

Yes.  There were several of Gary's pieces you couldn't pay me to wear BUT I understand why they would appeal to a client who was younger, thinner, with a different body type, etc.  If they're trying to create the "Next Global Brand" it should be clothes that appeal to a wide variety of people and can be worn on a number of different occasions.  There is a LARGE segment of the population that will never wear sequins.  Ever.  And the ones that do usually only wear them on certain occasions so owning one piece is usually enough.  You can't make a global brand selling only one piece of clothing to a small percentage of the population,

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Yes.  There were several of Gary's pieces you couldn't pay me to wear BUT I understand why they would appeal to a client who was younger, thinner, with a different body type, etc.  If they're trying to create the "Next Global Brand" it should be clothes that appeal to a wide variety of people and can be worn on a number of different occasions.  There is a LARGE segment of the population that will never wear sequins.  Ever.  And the ones that do usually only wear them on certain occasions so owning one piece is usually enough.  You can't make a global brand selling only one piece of clothing to a small percentage of the population,

You make some good points. Personality-wise, it was definitely NY Andrea.  My body type has always been tall stick, and it can be difficult to dress that body type too. You see something on a model, but when you want to buy clothing it's mostly for someone 5.3" and it costs a lot more to buy a tall size.

• Love 1

This season was a snooze for me. I thought Gary was the best by far, so I’m disappointed in the outcome. I do think, though, that being on the show will be a big help to advance Gary’s career. 

meanwhile, I’ve come to the end of my regard for Heidi and even Tim. I’m out. 

• Love 2

What a bore. I fast-forwarded a lot. The runway show was too dark and both Andreas' shows were the kind of clothes junior high girls draw in the back of their notebooks when not paying attention in class.

It was hilarious to me that they kept referring to Gary's clothes as historical, as if he was showing us hoop skirts and bustles. I found his collection breathtaking. I mostly wear sweatpants and t-shirts and I will certainly buy something of his if it comes in a 3X. 

• Love 7

I appreciate the thought and storytelling that went into Gary's collection. He does craft some gorgeous garments. Gary would definitely benefit from having someone to manage the business side so he can focus on designing. I would enjoy his shop, it was different, and I like seeing creative process. I also don't mind a bit of reading, lol.

I think that Andrea P is no less an artist. She is designing for women with disposable income who want to look and feel glamourous, sensual and elegant. It's not really for more low key sorts. I appreciate that she able to expand on what she usually offered, surprising even herself.

Now, do I think that final collection represented the best work that Andrea is capable of? No. Did she learn from the judges' feedback and adapt to meet the brief of the show? Yes, she did. She is strategic, hardworking and adaptable, essential traits in a successful business person. Now that she has won, she can take the exposure and the money and use it to fund her vision. She played the game well, kudos to her for winning. 

Andrea S.'s work isn't really to my taste, but, I figure I'm not the age range she is designing for, which is fine. My 18 year old daughter loved it.  I was impressed with her business-mindedness and excellent grasp of social media and how best to market and expand her brand. Her shop did look the most shop-like. She is young and hungry, and I think she will go far.

• Love 5

I guess I'm in the majority but I thought the correct designer won, because this show stressed the importance of design and designer's ability to be the face of their design and although I agree that Gary was definitely the most "designy" of the designers, he is socially inept (in a rather endearing way) and seems like he would get bogged down in the day-to-day process of running his company and being in the public eye.  I think Andrea P was the best combination of design and personality.  Andrea S was a little too structured and Miami style for me.  

No doubt all three of them are immensely talented and I hope they all do well

• Love 3
On 8/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, nokat said:

That giraffe outfit Heidi wore on one of the episodes, so ugly. Then out came the cape. Even my husband was saying what the hell is she wearing.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, NYGirl said:

Oh no!!  I'm so disappointed.  I knew by Heidi's remarks that there was no way Gary was going to win.  He was the most consistent designer throughout the whole season.  I really think he was Tim's favorite too.

I hope he continues to design.

The other 2 were so sparkly I had to wear sunglasses!

On 8/6/2021 at 7:54 PM, nokat said:

Yes! He saw the talent there and his backing of Gary was fantastic.

I watch for Tim Gunn and not Heidi. I saw Winnie on America's Next Top Model. She's smart and gorgeous, but I'm not sure having two models on the panel is working. I think Tim said something about having more freedom on a streaming service, but that is obviously not true.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:27 PM, raven said:

Watching now and I can see why they gave the win to Andrea.  Amazon Rep really liked her; the expression on her face when Andrea was describing her vision and plan spoke volumes.  Andrea was very smart to incorporate prints and sparkles after Andrea S's win in the last episode.   I am a Gary fan but his personality is more reserved - Andrea is very personable and relatable as well as talented.

That said, I don't like her clothes at all.  Ugh - sparkles! skin!  Not my style even if I were 20 something.  1000% Heidi's style though - sorry Heidi, that collection is not for every woman.  Every model, yes.

Gary dedicating his collection to Nellie Olsen and the actress (Alison Arngrim) is everything!  Wait - I'm watching now - how did he not win??? These clothes are gorgeous and every woman can actually wear these!  He did different things and shows a lot of range.  Never mind what I said above, how did he not get the win?   I LOVE this collection.    We don't need more sparkly, sexy clothes. 

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

You go, Jeremy!  Yes, Gary is an artist with vision.  He's not Little House.  Shut up, Heidi.  Wow these models are clueless.  Jeremy knows what he's talking about and the two model judges are all "no!  sparkle! slits! skin!"  Blah.

I'm glad I spoiled myself because I would have been thinking it was Gary and been extra disappointed.  Did I say BOOOOOO!

On 8/6/2021 at 4:31 PM, TVbitch said:

Shocker that Heidi's pick won. Of course she would never wear Gary's clothes, cuz you can't see them from space and/or they cover up too much skin. At least Jeremy fought for Gary and seemed moved by his artistry. Maybe he can arrange some kind of opportunity for Gary.  As for Sparkle Andrea, um, well, at least she evolved from black and copper sparkles to black and gold sparkles? She also seems to have infected Other Andrea with sparkle fever. 

PS. When Gary said his inspiration was not so much Laura Ingalls, but Nellie Olson, it only made me adore him more! 

I am just going to say it...Heidi needs to be off this show.

Her aesthetic is 90’s Euro Trash and her hosting is cringe worthy.

She has no idea what consumers want and is totally out of touch with youth culture.

I loved her on Project Runway but this show has only brought out her shortcomings.

• Love 14

I think Andrea is a much better business person. For most of the season, I thought she and Gary were pretty comparable as far as design. I much preferred his vintage to her sequins in the finale, though. I have my doubts that a lot of people want to wear sequins, but maybe I am wrong. In the end, I think her business savvy, both past and present, won the competition for her. 

As for who will succeed after this, Andrea has already grown her business. Gary's went under. I don't think she's going to suddenly fail. Hopefully he can get someone who has business acumen to help him, because I think both the pop-up shop and the business plan presentation showed why his business failed. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 5

I'm sorry but the Andreas made nothing new or exciting...it was sparkly and "hot" but showed so little creativity.

The fact that some of these judges, who thought prairie fashion was so on trend just a short while ago or looked like an extra from the Wild One looked down their noses at Gary's "vintage" style tells me they have no ability to reflect on their own stated opinions, rather they are crackheads for what is of the minute.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, staphdude said:

The fact that some of these judges, who thought prairie fashion was so on trend just a short while ago or looked like an extra from the Wild One looked down their noses at Gary's "vintage" style tells me they have no ability to reflect on their own stated opinions, rather they are crackheads for what is of the minute

oh but don't you know, Heidi is an "art critic." Just happened to see this on a site talking about the show:

Klum said their sometimes brutal honestly only proves how "passionate" they are about the fashion industry, a place where she still "gets butterflies" when seeing "an amazing piece of art walking down the runway."

Only if it sparkles, of course.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 8/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Calamity Jane said:

This season was a snooze for me. I thought Gary was the best by far, so I’m disappointed in the outcome. I do think, though, that being on the show will be a big help to advance Gary’s career. 

meanwhile, I’ve come to the end of my regard for Heidi and even Tim. I’m out. 

I'm not sure I ever had much regard for either of them.  Heidi seems like a total airhead with zero class or taste, and Tim is a pretentious dick who proved himself to be a hateful bully on Under the Gunn.

By the way Tim, you may want to look up how to pronounce "succeed".

It's definitely a show I watch when I can fast forward, or when I have a book to turn to during the obnoxious bits.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Leeds said:

I'm not sure I ever had much regard for either of them.  Heidi seems like a total airhead with zero class or taste, and Tim is a pretentious dick who proved himself to be a hateful bully on Under the Gunn.

By the way Tim, you may want to look up how to pronounce "succeed".

Yes, for me too Under the Gunn destroyed Tim’s facade of congenial, helpful compassion. I recovered some regard for him over the years since, but always keeping in mind the disillusion of that wretched show. In the early years he seemed tuned in to what the judges valued, but then in the latter seasons of PR, it seemed contestants were better off ignoring him.  
I loved Heidi at the start of PR, when good judges (Michael Kors  primarily) kept her more reined in. She just became so superficial over the past few years, though, and downright unlikable on this show. No more. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Sorry to be so superficial, but did anyone else find the Amazon woman very bizarre looking?

The "Amazon woman?" Do you mean Andrea, who is from Colombia? She is a perfectly beautiful woman from Latin America. So, no. 

• LOL 1
17 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

The "Amazon woman?" Do you mean Andrea, who is from Colombia? She is a perfectly beautiful woman from Latin America. So, no. 

No, one of the judges they brought in.  And yes, Andrea is beautiful. 

On 8/12/2021 at 8:47 PM, lidarose9 said:

What a bore. I fast-forwarded a lot. The runway show was too dark and both Andreas' shows were the kind of clothes junior high girls draw in the back of their notebooks when not paying attention in class.

It was hilarious to me that they kept referring to Gary's clothes as historical, as if he was showing us hoop skirts and bustles. I found his collection breathtaking. I mostly wear sweatpants and t-shirts and I will certainly buy something of his if it comes in a 3X. 

The ones I clicked through did come in 3x.  Also, thanks to the poster above who provided a link to his page with the affordable T-shirts!

So a girl on Say Yes to the Dress this morning was trying on a dress and they said it was from a new black designer sure enough it was Andrea P.  So normally SYTTD is taped 8 to 10 months out. As they don't want to run it till after the wedding.  So did Andrea have a contract with them before MTC?   The dress was gorgeous btw.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I heart Tim Gunn.   I really do.  I know that “Under the Gunn” and other things showed negative sides of him, but he always wins me back with his critiques.  I think he wanted Gary to win, but who knows.  
I’ve never trusted Heidi’s opinion, but you have to appeal to her to win. 

• Love 6
On 8/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, magenta said:

So a girl on Say Yes to the Dress this morning was trying on a dress and they said it was from a new black designer sure enough it was Andrea P.  So normally SYTTD is taped 8 to 10 months out. As they don't want to run it till after the wedding.  So did Andrea have a contract with them before MTC?   The dress was gorgeous btw.

She was already known as a wedding dress designer before MTC, so this is not unexpected.  They just mentioned this in the first few episodes, so you might have missed it.

Just watched this. Heidi is so tacky.  Everything Jeremy Scott said about Gary being a true artist was spot on.  What beautiful clothes and the tailoring was flawless.   The other two I could see at Forever 21.   

The model judge and Heidi think it’s not modern unless it’s sparkly and showing a lot of skin.  Sooo tacky 

• Love 6
On 8/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, lidarose9 said:

I know, odd word to use.   His clothes reminded me of van dries Noten for some reason.  Amazing designer and does it without the sexy 

• Love 2