Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Finale

• Start Topic

In the season finale of Making the Cut, the final designers must present a business pitch to the President of Amazon Fashion and showcase a final ten-look collection. One designer is crowned the winner of Making the Cut, receiving a mentorship, an exclusive line on Amazon, and $1 million to invest into their brand.

5 hours ago, nokat said:

Nope. It should have been Gary.

2 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Knew I could see the winner here before I decided to watch. Will skip and head over to binge Never Have I Ever.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, jacksgirl said:

Not going to watch now. Booo.

Sorry if I spoiled it for you. I was so disappointed. Gary's prints were so interesting, and his use of textiles, truly one of a kind.

People are wanting his Levi's jacket and it's sold out. I wish Gary success even though he didn't win.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, nokat said:

Sorry if I spoiled it for you. I was so disappointed. Gary's prints were so interesting, and his use of textiles, truly one of a kind.

People are wanting his Levi's jacket and it's sold out. I wish Gary success even though he didn't win.

No apology needed. I came looking for the winner, but now I will skip the last 2 episodes. Gary must have been too obvious a choice. He was kind to others and very talented. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, jacksgirl said:

No apology needed. I came looking for the winner, but now I will skip the last 2 episodes. Gary must have been too obvious a choice. He was kind to others and very talented. 

There were two Andreas in the final three, so it gets confusing, but it was the NY Andrea who won. A lot of commenting on her fitting curvy women, but a few things were so ill-fitting. I don't remember Gary ever making his models look bad.

• Love 8

Sigh.

A few things-so ironic that the Amazon woman criticized Gary's vision during the business pitch when she was wearing something from the Prairie Girl collection (and similar to the look Gary discarded from his concept store due to looking too Amish).

It seems like similar shows in the past (Project Runway) emphasized the future of fashion whereas Heidi and Winnie kept referring to what people would want to wear NOW.  So I was a bit confused as to what the criteria really was.  

As for my overall impression of the collections-they were all really nice.  But, I feel like I already see, and have seen, a lot of clothes very similar to what the two Andreas showed while Gary's vision was more unique and, dare I say it?, fashion-forward.  Not every person wants "sexy" all the time and I believe that Gary showed that there is a sexiness inherent in well-fitting clothes. 

I so preferred Gary's collection, but the Amazon president knows their customers so Andrea it is.  I am glad that they are giving opportunity to both Gary and Andrea S.  I am heading over there to see Gary's collection (and honestly, the prices...).

• Love 18

I came here to see who won so I won’t be watching the last two episodes. This is my complaint about this show, it’s not about fashion and good designing, it’s what Amazon thought would sell. Whatever. Good luck to Gary, I hope he does well. 

• Love 14
8 hours ago, nokat said:

but it was the NY Andrea who won.

Oh lord. I'm not quite done, but I thought her clothes were absolutely hideous. Ugly prints IMO. And we do not need two models who have terrible taste do the judging!

I'd be happy to wear almost anything Gary made. Beautiful stuff that looked smart, and classy. 

Heidi: "Gary's too stuck." WTH? 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 13

Well, that stinks.  Haven't watched yet but wanted to know, damn it.  I'll still watch to see what I think of the clothes but I'm sure I'll feel Gary was robbed, lol.

*try to be objective, try to be objective*

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

At least Jeremy fought for Gary and seemed moved by his artistry.

I really appreciated that as well. And I guess NYC Andrea should give some of the prize money to Sparkle Andrea, since the sparkles clearly caught Heidi's eye and apparently that's all that matters.

• Love 8

Thank you all for the heads up. saved me two hours. I just skipped to Gary's collection. I love his use of textiles and patterns. I guess Nelly Olsen is my design aesthetic. lol 

At least the season was good and short. That's probably the best thing I can say about it.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, raven said:

Watching now and I can see why they gave the win to Andrea.  Amazon Rep really liked her;

I liked her too. Great personality, and kudos to her for having a curvy model. I just liked Gary's clothes better. Gary is not an outgoing person and a bit awkward, but so talented.  It definitely was what can we sell now, and no looking to the future.

That camel coat, it looked nice on the model, but booooring. And sparkles? I'm not Blanche from Golden Girls. I wasn't a fan of the feathery fabric either. In small doses it was okay, but for a jumpsuit? 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, raven said:

I'm watching now - how did he not win??? These clothes are gorgeous and every woman can actually wear these!  He did different things and shows a lot of range.  Never mind what I said above, how did he not get the win?  

exactly. I'm a 60 yo woman with lots of $ and his clothes are the only ones I could imagine wearing.

19 minutes ago, raven said:

Wow these models are clueless.  Jeremy knows what he's talking about and the two model judges are all "no!  sparkle! slits! skin!"  Blah.

exactly

• Love 13

Did Miami Andrea pick out fabrics for NY Andrea?    They were hideous on tv…maybe they looked better in person?    And both Andreas were designing for a narrow market…what would Heidi wear?    Gary designed clothes that would have a huge potential market.   They were beautiful, unique patterns and wearable.   Anyone who isn’t a model spends most of their budget on this type of clothing.   He was robbed.  

eta. I thought it was very telling that the ONLY designer on the panel loved Gary’s work and vision.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, DEL901 said:

eta. I thought it was very telling that the ONLY designer on the panel loved Gary’s work and vision.  

Yes! He saw the talent there and his backing of Gary was fantastic.

I watch for Tim Gunn and not Heidi. I saw Winnie on America's Next Top Model. She's smart and gorgeous, but I'm not sure having two models on the panel is working. I think Tim said something about having more freedom on a streaming service, but that is obviously not true.

• Love 7

I'm annoyed. Obviously Gary was the real talent. Some of those pieces he made were some of the best pieces I've ever seen in a fashion competition. The coat dress, the Degas style dress, all the men's looks were stunning. The judges complaining about his Little House aesthetic made no sense to me. Cottagecore is very in. I could see Taylor Swift in those dresses with her braided hair and red lip. He has a young client base and appeals to more mature women. I just want success for him. I'm hoping the exposure on this show will help push him forward. Shows like this don't find talent like that very often and Jeremy begged them to make the right choice because he knows art. It sucks.

NY Andrea's stuff was good and probably will sell. I would even wear a some of those pieces  but I don't think it was fresh and I don't think she will be remembered in the fashion industry. I'm sure the money and opportunity will be good for her and she's a nice enough person so I'm not going to riot but I disagree with her win.

Miami Andrea is a smart businesswoman and a good stylist but her clothes feel dated to me. 

• Love 17

Miami Andrea... if I never see another 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' jacket I'll be a happy woman.  Gary was robbed, he was the true artist.  He's like Eileen Fischer, a simple concept but well executed.  And you can tell her pieces from a block away.  Unlike either of the Andreas. I hope this will be a jumping off point for him.

• Love 10

I'm looking at Amazon's Making the Cut. Gary's episode 5 dress is so flattering on many body sizes.

His episode 6 skirt is nice too, but I can sew a skirt and use fabric paint. I've been sewing my own clothes since I was a tall and gangly teen. Skirts are easy.

• Love 3

I'm re-watching the finale. My aesthetic is definitely more Gary. I found the Andreas clothes tacky. Both used way too much sparkle and glitter. Bleh. I actually thought NY Andrea had the worst show. Oh well, Amazon, you do you.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, akg said:

Wow, there is absolutely nothing in Angela's collection that I would even consider buying.

Agree, they lost me at 'grommet'.  I liked NY Andrea, but Gary was the true Artist.  when she went all sequins for the finale, she lost me. Before that, I would have been OK with either winning.

• Love 5

Oh no!!  I'm so disappointed.  I knew by Heidi's remarks that there was no way Gary was going to win.  He was the most consistent designer throughout the whole season.  I really think he was Tim's favorite too.

I hope he continues to design.

The other 2 were so sparkly I had to wear sunglasses!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, akg said:

Gary's collection

Angela's collection

Wow, there is absolutely nothing in Angela's collection that I would even consider buying.

That yellow hounds tooth pattern. No. I could buy several items from Gary's collection, but a bit spendy. Compare prices on the two collections. I guess that Amazon woman was so wrong, and they figured out who would make them money.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, nokat said:

That yellow hounds tooth pattern

It looks like caution tape! I really can't imagine anyone wearing it.

7 minutes ago, nokat said:

I could buy several items from Gary's collection, but a bit spendy.

Me too. I loved his prints and would be very happy with a t-shirt or two but not at those prices. Sorry, Gary. I do hope it does really well though and he gets more recognition from it. Online seems like the best way for Gary to sell. He can think out everything he wants to say in advance and shoppers can decide how much they want to dig into his process before they buy.

• Love 5

One thing this show did for me is making me want to sew again. I'm looking at manikins. I rolled my eyes at the sign "we'll keep you in stitches" but I will check it out. Joannes got a bit too expensive per yard but still less expensive than buying someone elses design, and I like to pick my own fabric.

27 minutes ago, nokat said:

Joannes got a bit too expensive per yard

Keep an eye out for coupons. Jo-ann's (at least the last time I shopped there) would take them from Hobby Lobby and Michael's as long as what you're buying is sold in the other store (so no Michael's coupons for fabric). 

Speaking of fabric (and back on topic), Gary could definitely have a side business in selling just fabric by the yard. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, nokat said:

One thing this show did for me is making me want to sew again. I'm looking at manikins. I rolled my eyes at the sign "we'll keep you in stitches" but I will check it out. Joannes got a bit too expensive per yard but still less expensive than buying someone elses design, and I like to pick my own fabric.

You have to be careful with some of the fabric from JoAnn's as some of it is rather poor quality.  That said, I am a complete bottom feeder at that store.  I either wait until something is 50% off or I only buy one cut of something and use a 50% off coupon.  Same with thread.  I wait for the Gutterman to go on sale.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

You have to be careful with some of the fabric from JoAnn's as some of it is rather poor quality.  That said, I am a complete bottom feeder at that store.  I either wait until something is 50% off or I only buy one cut of something and use a 50% off coupon.  Same with thread.  I wait for the Gutterman to go on sale.

I'm always envious when I watch contestants picking out fabric. If I want cheap fabric I'll dig through the remains at Walmart and not pay the ridiculous prices (and for patterns too).

33 minutes ago, akg said:

Hobby Lobby and Michael's

Our local Michael's closed. There went my easy craft and yarn place. :(

Looking at the collections, Gary already has 7 items flagged as best sellers.  Andrea had 4.  The only thing in hers I would buy is the maxi dress, but I don’t either of the fabrics it’s available in.

I wish Gary’s included the “cocoon coat” I think he called it.  I loved that in the finale. 

• Love 3

I'm disappointed Gary didn't win--I loved that green avant guard coat he did and would buy it in a heartbeat.  I appreciate NY Andrea having a curvy model--but there's a lot to be said for support garments.  If one has a curvy model, it's good  to have a great bra to show off the garment. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, gryphon said:

but there's a lot to be said for support garments

This is one of my few complaints with some of Gary's dresses (like this one). It's so pretty but finding a bra (which I'd need) to wear under it would be a challenge. 

• Love 3
On 8/6/2021 at 6:22 AM, nokat said:

Gary's work is capital F Fashion. This show is all about mass market retail. I hope he goes on to find a lot of success as a result of appearing on this show.  

• Love 13

Gary’s final collection looked VERY Vivienne Westwood. Especially his menswear. It was definitely the most high fashion of the three, but most of his colors throughout the season tended towards really muted, which didn’t resonate with me (great patterns, but I didn’t like the pallets), and I’m guessing possibly towards all three women judges as well. (You can give Heidi a little of that, but eventually she needs something bolder). You could see the Amazon rep looked a bit grim with him compared to towards with the Andreas. 

Florida Andrea’s collection was possibly the most sellable. But it was also generic and dated and I began to wonder if in five years she’d still be making similar collections. (Michael Jackson’s estate called. They want a royalty..)

I went back and forth on NY Andrea. Some of her designs were great, others were not. (I thought her winning camel hair coats looked frumpy, but I loved her puffy sleeved avant-garde coat). 

By the time their final collections made it to Amazon, they were so cheapened. (Not in price, but in production). But I am curious about Andrea’s sequin camouflage print. Did she design it? Steven Sprouse once did one that was amazing. I’d be curious to see hers in person. Did anyone order it? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cramps said:

By the time their final collections made it to Amazon, they were so cheapened.

Yes, I read some of the reviews. The original dress was flowy and beautiful, but the knockoff was stiff and unflattering.

It's why I tend to watch these shows as inspiration. No I'm not selling them, just making them for myself.

2 hours ago, Cramps said:

It was definitely the most high fashion of the three, but most of his colors throughout the season tended towards really muted, which didn’t resonate with me

I prefer muted and then I can add a pop of color. I like timeless pieces and then adding the latest "fashion."

Also, if you can, tailoring clothes can make you look your best. Most of us don't fit the perfect measurements, but tailoring will make you look awesome.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1

If there is a future season of this, they have given away the secret to winning-design everything for Heidi (and Winnie if she is still a judge).  That really seemed to be the most important consideration.  So, sequins, short, and 'sexy.'  It would be hilarious if there is a next season and every single contestant had the same aesthetic which just so happened to match Heidi's taste.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, seacliffsal said:

If there is a future season of this, they have given away the secret to winning-design everything for Heidi (and Winnie if she is still a judge).  That really seemed to be the most important consideration.  So, sequins, short, and 'sexy.'  It would be hilarious if there is a next season and every single contestant had the same aesthetic which just so happened to match Heidi's taste.

That giraffe outfit Heidi wore on one of the episodes, so ugly. Then out came the cape. Even my husband was saying what the hell is she wearing.

• Love 1

Minority here, but I grew up in the 70’s and never had Nellie Olsen as my fashion icon. Nothing Amazon is selling looks like the runway, so whatever is up there holds zero interest for me.

I was rooting for NYC Andrea, so hooray for her. Give me more of those feathered pants and random suspenders. She can dress a woman who’s not out bringing in the crops. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, akg said:

This is one of my few complaints with some of Gary's dresses (like this one). It's so pretty but finding a bra (which I'd need) to wear under it would be a challenge. 

I tried on a lot of strapless bras. I'm not even large, but they put my boobs way up. I don't need to be serving cleavage.

When I was twenty I could wear that dress braless.

39 minutes ago, nokat said:

I tried on a lot of strapless bras. I'm not even large, but they put my boobs way up. I don't need to be serving cleavage.

His dresses also have big/low armholes (I have no idea how to describe them) so not even a strapless bra would work. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, akg said:

His dresses also have big/low armholes (I have no idea how to describe them) so not even a strapless bra would work. 

After a certain age, your boobs want to escape out loose armholes.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2