Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Lotus-Eaters

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Interesting. Wouldn't using the override code wipe out the code Nicole had programmed into it though? As long as that still worked, you would know no one has used the override code?

I forgot to mention how funny Kitty's clueless question to Shane and Rachel about whether the White Lotus was really romantic or not was. Gee, Kitty, I wonder why Rachel and Shane's honeymoon is not really romantic right now?

I am by no means a safe expert.  But I think no.  I think you have a code you program and a code that is a master code.  I don't think using the master code wipes anything out...sort of like how you have can have a pc login and admin log in.  The admin login doesn't wipe out the pc login

Edited by dmc
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, gesundheit said:

If no one came back to the room then the parents would have blamed one of the kids and likely Paula.  By having Kai actually steal the bracelets she cleared herself.

But they would want to know how he got the combination to the safe, so Paula will be to blame for that. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

I think the theme here may end up being all the rich, privileged people go untouched, while the under-privileged or not rich people get screwed over, whether they're at fault or not. So Kai, Armond, Belinda, and possibly Racheal will end up in a bad place.

Boy Shane hasn't gotten very far into Blink has he? They keep showing him with that book in roughly the same spot. That may be true for all the books being read, but I only noticed his. I feel like there are a lot of nuggets on this show I'll pick up on second watch when I'm not distracted by the main plot. 

I don't think Belinda and Rachel are in a bad place.  They will be in the same place as before.  Rachel's place may even improve.  Shane is not Rachel's only option.  

Kai may be in a bad place.

Armand was never in a good place.  From episode 1, he was off kilter and barely holding it together.

Edited by dmc
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

But they would want to know how he got the combination to the safe, so Paula will be to blame for that. 

It would be interesting if Kai refuses to say how he got the code - because he has genuine feelings for Paula and wants to protect her - and she lets him take the fall because, true to what Mark said at dinner, nobody who has any privilege would willingly give it up. Olivia is the only other person who knows about the Paula/Kai connection, and I can see her choosing not to share that information so that she can blackmail Paula with it throughout their remaining time at college.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, dmc said:

I am thinking Belinda will be the new manager when Armand gets fired.  

I wold love that! She deserves something good to happen to her, and I'm sure she would do a great job if she sets firmer boundaries with the hotel guests in the future and doesn't fall for the likes of Tanya again. She'd certainly be a better hotel manager than Armand, but that's a low bar.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

Is this show taking place in a universe where COVID is a thing? I can't recall if it's been mentioned or alluded to...

I haven't heard them mention it either...but he coughed 12 times in one minute.  Are they trying to tell us he's sick?

1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

I wold love that! She deserves something good to happen to her, and I'm sure she would do a great job if she sets firmer boundaries with the hotel guests in the future and doesn't fall for the likes of Tanya again. She'd certainly be a better hotel manager than Armand, but that's a low bar.

Also if they do a second season, I see them doing a new set of guests and just the staff for continuity...so she would be back.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dmc said:

I haven't heard them mention it either...but he coughed 12 times in one minute.  Are they trying to tell us he's sick?

Oh I think it's at least a misdirect (e.g., they want us to think he's the corpse); it was such a pronounced, prolonged fit.

I noticed that Tanya didn't react to the fit like covid was a thing or mention covid, which makes me think White Lotus is pre-covid or in a non-covid story universe. 

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Oh I think it's at least a redirect (e.g., they want us to think he's the corpse); it was such a pronounced, prolonged fit.

I noticed that Tanya didn't react to the fit like covid was a thing or mention covid, which makes me think White Lotus is pre-covid or in a non-covid story universe. 

Maybe I don't think it will be him.  My money was on Armand but now I am not sure.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

I almost expected Greg to tell Tanya that his big fishing trip was a bucket-list item and that he was dying of lung cancer.

Trouble is, he was swimming laps with no problem. If his lungs were compromised he wouldn't be able to do that without laboring.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
57 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Is this show taking place in a universe where COVID is a thing? I can't recall if it's been mentioned or alluded to...

I remember an off-hand reference in an earlier ep, probably the first, about this being a post Covid world. But I could possibly be mixing it up with another show lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, hurrrz said:

I read Greg's cough completely differently. I read this as his out to get out of the room / situation easily and have this be a one night stand / vacation fling. Him essentially ghosting her during the day also felt like he was really trying to just have this to be a very limited engagement. Then again, he switches after they have a few drinks, so I am not sure which interpretation is right. 

I thought this too.  But they interview the actors after the show and he’s into Tanya according to the actor

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, khyber said:

Trouble is, he was swimming laps with no problem. If his lungs were compromised he wouldn't be able to do that without laboring.

Good point. I wonder then just what it is that’s causing that hacking cough if it isn’t affecting his ability to swim laps!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Doesn't the fact that Kai knew the code to the safe make Paula more at risk, not less? I mean, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out it was an inside job if the burglar knew the code?

Recall that Olivia made a point of mentioning that her mother used Olivia’s birthday as the code to the safe. Family member birthdays are the first thing someone trying to guess your password will try, and this day and age, easy to find out. And those hotel room safes don’t lock themselves after a few mistakes, as far as I recall. 

There is a reason why hotels don’t take any responsibility for valuables that you leave in them. 

Another small thing in Paula’s favor is that Quinn blabbed about how much the bracelets were worth in the middle of restaurant, the night before the break in, which expands the suspect pool to the entire staff and makes an inside job less likely. 

Edited by AzureOwl
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, MBayGal said:

But only Olivia knows that. Just saying that her big generous plan could've spared Kai if she'd just given him the bracelet. Instead, she wasn't willing to risk being solely blamed if something went wrong, so she made him risk far more when the end result (had everything gone according to plan) would have been the same. Pretty horrible.

• Love 3

So, Paula thought a pair of $75K bracelets was going to allow Kai's family to get back acres of prime real estate in one of the most desired locations in the world with a luxury resort built on it?  Clearly, she is not an economics major. 

It was nice that Paula's attempt at larceny actually seemed to bring the Mossbacher family together.  I think the dinner afterwards was the first time any of them acted as if they even liked one another. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
On 8/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, SeanC said:

Paula proves she really does belong amongst the Mossbachers by cluelessly fucking around with a poor guy's life.

She is garbage. She plays all high and mighty while hiding behind her privilege and money. “They aren’t my friends” Oh yes they are. She will run back to her life while Kia ends up in jail.  Why didn’t Paula take the bracelet herself…oh yea..,because she doesn’t have the conviction she claims to have. She is as bad as the rest of them….except Quinn. His growth has been noteworthy  throughout the series. Rather than reading books and hiding behind his ‘educational opinions’ he seems to be connecting with his environment. He observes things that the others on the island are too self absorbed to see. 

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 15
13 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

“They were careless people…they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.”

That is exactly the quote that has been rattling around in my brain since I started watching this. It's basically a modern tropical luxury resort version of "the rich are different".

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I’m sort of reminded of an old spoof of a commercial (I think it was from SNL) back in the days when Ma Bell was still a monopoly: “We don’t care. We don’t have to. We’re the phone company.” Only for these people it’s “We don’t care. We don’t have to. We’re filthy rich.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

That is exactly the quote that has been rattling around in my brain since I started watching this. It's basically a modern tropical luxury resort version of "the rich are different".

The problem with that is we've been shown several non-rich people and they're not any better. Armond has been awful and any of his problems have been of his own making. Rachel hasn't been shown to be anything other than what she's afraid she is, a trophy wife. Kai and Paula are the dumbest criminals ever.

The only one that's not been shown to be self-destructive is Belinda, but the only thing that's happened to her is that she didn't win the lottery of having a rich person make her dreams come true.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Has anyone noticed the hints hidden in the wallpapers from the intro? They may contain some kind of clue about the dead body. It's clear that every actor's name appears above a wallpapper that symbolizes something about their characters in the show. Eg. Mark and his swole balls. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Has anyone noticed the hints in the wallpapers from the intro? They may contain any kind of clue towards que last episode. The animals and plants that appear next to the actor's name symbolize something about their character in the show. Eg. Mark and his swole balls. 

5 hours ago, Nellise said:

The problem with that is we've been shown several non-rich people and they're not any better. Armond has been awful and any of his problems have been of his own making. Rachel hasn't been shown to be anything other than what she's afraid she is, a trophy wife. Kai and Paula are the dumbest criminals ever.

The only one that's not been shown to be self-destructive is Belinda, but the only thing that's happened to her is that she didn't win the lottery of having a rich person make her dreams come true.

Yes (Armond isawful) but the consequences for non-wealthy are much greater. The wealthy can hide behind high paid lawyers.  
Armond’s only moment of self reflection was when his employee gave birth in his office. He wondered why he didn’t notice and what kind of person he was…..then he quickly snapped back into thoughtless behaviour by forgetting her name, not sending a gift etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Was the scene with Nicole talking to Steve Zahn about the affair supposed to be funny? Because the acting was so bad I figured it was. That’s one of the biggest issues for me with this show; I can never quite tell if I’m supposed to find this all funny or not.

I don't know if it supposed to be fun either but I have found Connie Britton's acting to be weak (and I generally like her).

• Love 4
17 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

She is garbage. She plays all high and mighty while hiding behind her privilege and money. “They aren’t my friends” Oh yes they are. She will run back to her life while Kia ends up in jail.  Why didn’t Paula take the bracelet herself…oh yea..,because she doesn’t have the conviction she claims to have. She is as bad as the rest of them….except Quinn. His growth has been noteworthy  throughout the series. Rather than reading books and hiding behind his ‘educational opinions’ he seems to be connecting with his environment. He observes things that the others on the island are too self absorbed to see. 

Why do we think Paula has money?

Having a friend with money doesn’t mean you have money.  

College is an equalizer of sorts.  I very much got the vibe that she’s middle class with a wealthy friend.  I also got the vibe that part of the reason she puts up with Olivia’s because of the perks of having a wealthy friend.

There’s nothing about her that indicates wealth of her own.  I heard somebody mentioned clothing but that could easily be credit card debt. 

I think it’s the reason she bonded so well with that guy Kai.  Maybe she has more money than his family but she’s a person of middle class means hanging out with an ultra rich friend. 
And Olivia is fine with her being a hanger on until she has more than her.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, dmc said:

Why do we think Paula has money?

Having a friend with money doesn’t mean you have money.  

College is an equalizer of sorts.  I very much got the vibe that she’s middle class with a wealthy friend.  I also got the vibe that part of the reason she puts up with Olivia’s because of the perks of having a wealthy friend.

There’s nothing about her that indicates wealth of her own.  I heard somebody mentioned clothing but that could easily be credit card debt. 

I think it’s the reason she bonded so well with that guy Kai.  Maybe she has more money than his family but she’s a person of middle class means hanging out with an ultra rich friend. 
And Olivia is fine with her being a hanger on until she has more than her.  

I agree with this but she has more money than Kai…likely upper middle class. She does have nice clothes and a medicine cabinet in her bag so who knows.
Olivia is to Paula what Paula is to Kai. She steered him wrong and if he gets caught I suspect she will be very reluctant to accept any responsibility. She seems to dislike Olivia but uses her for fancy trips while Olivia uses Paula to feel superior. Paula relates to Kai but will drop him as soon as it means losing her position back home….whatever it may be. In a way Paula is worse because if she is middle class she more fully understands the consequences Kai may face yet forged ahead with reckless abandon. Kai committed the assault and theft but she is equally accountable.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I agree with this but she has more money than Kai…likely upper middle class. She does have nice clothes and a medicine cabinet in her bag so who knows.
Olivia is to Paula what Paula is to Kai. She steered him wrong and if he gets caught I suspect she will be very reluctant to accept any responsibility. She seems to dislike Olivia but uses her for fancy trips while Olivia uses Paula to feel superior. Paula relates to Kai but will drop him as soon as it means losing her position back home….whatever it may be. In a way Paula is worse because if she is middle class she more fully understands the consequences Kai may face yet forged ahead with reckless abandon. Kai committed the assault and theft but she is equally accountable.

The meds she has in her bag that I heard listed are Ketamine and Clonazepham.  I have a prescription for Clonazepham  for panic attacks and its 40 cents. I cannot speak for Ketamine.  But yes I would agree maybe upper middle class not search engine money

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, dmc said:

The meds she has in her bag that I heard listed are Ketamine and Clonazepham.  I have a prescription for Clonazepham  for panic attacks and its 40 cents. I cannot speak for Ketamine.  But yes I would agree maybe upper middle class not search engine money

Thanks for the info! I don’t know much about these drugs but I always hear  of upper class kids abusing them on TV lol so I was misinformed.

• Love 3

Trying to figure out who the person in the coffin is, you have to keep one thing in mind: Judging from Shane's reaction to the "Human Remains", it has to be someone he knows well, cares about, or was in part responsible for "killing". I suppose it's true he could have just been miserable because Rachel left him/ended their marriage, and the dead body symbolized the dead marriage to him, but that seems entirely out of character. 

Also, the travelers at the airport said "someone was killed." Not murdered, not died, but "killed". 

With that in mind, I keep thinking it has to be Rachel. At the beginning of the trip she told Shane she wanted to stay in the hotel and be close to the ocean so they could "stuff themselves then drown themselves in the ocean." She's clearly depressed, and I can see her heading out for a swim (rememeber Armond said because of a hurricane the ocean was "fairly biblical" and recommended guests stay out of it. (Doesn't make a lot of sense that the two would head out to scuba dive in it, I suppose, but swimming with a boat is one thing, drowning in a rip tide is another.

Of course, the son's dying would be upsetting to anyone, I guess.

I thought for a bit that the dead person was Belinda, who is the only truly redeeming character on the show who is honestly trying to help everyone she comes in contact with. I can see her coming between Armond and Shane and a bullet or a blow. in episode 3 Belinda gets a phone call from her son who is "on his way to class"--could that be U of Hawaii in Honolulu? The body is being put on the plane to Honolulu. That might explain why Shane is so upset at the sight of the remains being put on the plane--he is somewhat responsible because he taunted Armond to this point. But now I am hearing that Armond gets even with him--that might send him over the edge to where he explodes at Rachel and she goes "Awakening-like" into the ocean.

Everytime I think there is some clever trick to these shows the answer ends up being close to the obvious one, so I am back to thinking the body in the coffin is Rachel, and her death was obvious all along but the story behind it, not so much so. 

Great use of the Gatsby quote! Should be onscreen at the beginning of the next season's show. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Thanks for the info! I don’t know much about these drugs but I always hear  of upper class kids abusing them on TV lol so I was misinformed.

You’re welcome,  I actually meant to respond a couple of days ago about the meds because someone asked how they got on them on the plane.  They got them on the plane because they are both mental health medication.  You could get prescriptions if you had anxiety and/or depression. So either a doctor prescribed it to her or she stole someone else’s prescription.

Edited by dmc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't think Paula is rich and may not even be middle class. However, she is at the hotel as a guest where Kai works so there is a privilege in that. She might hate what the Mosbacher's stand for, but she's decided to be there with them for the free ride. She doesn't dislike them enough to not have accepted the vacation. She knew who Olivia was before the trip and she likely has had a glimpse into who her family was before the trip.

Since the first episodes she has stuck me as an ungrateful guest. She is outright rude to them. If a college friend had taken me on a family vacation there is no way I would have acted like she has. Even if my friend was rude to her parents, I would most certainly not join in.

She wanted to get back at the Mosbacher's for their comments on privilege and wealth, particularly Steve Zahn's comments on how they shouldn't feel bad for having money...history happened. But she used Kai. She had very little to lose and Kai had everything to lose.

That being said, Kai was an incredibly bad thief. When Nicole walked in, I expected him to either come out and say he had been fixing something or restocking something in the bathroom or to start making noise pretending to work on like fixing the sink. Him attacking her was probably the worst thing he could have done, besides having listened to Paula in the first place.

Edited by 90sfan
deleted repetitive comment
  • Love 22
38 minutes ago, 90sfan said:

I don't think Paula is rich and may not even be middle class. However, she is at the hotel as a guest where Kai works so there is a privilege in that. She might hate what the Mosbacher's stand for, but she's decided to be there with them for the free ride. She doesn't dislike them enough to not have accepted the vacation. She knew who Olivia was before the trip and she likely has had a glimpse into who her family was before the trip.

Since the first episodes she has stuck me as an ungrateful guest. She is outright rude to them. If a college friend had taken me on a family vacation there is no way I would have acted like she has. Even if my friend was rude to her parents, I would most certainly not join in.

She wanted to get back at the Mosbacher's for their comments on privilege and wealth, particularly Steve Zahn's comments on how they shouldn't feel bad for having money...history happened. But she used Kai. She had very little to lose and Kai had everything to lose.

That being said, Kai was an incredibly bad thief. When Nicole walked in, I expected him to either come out and say he had been fixing something or restocking something in the bathroom or to start making noise pretending to work on like fixing the sink. Him attacking her was probably the worst thing he could have done, besides having listened to Paula in the first place.

Kai made his own decision.  Paula is a girl he knew less than a week who flat out said that they would never speak again.  He could have said no. She legit has no leverage over him.  

I never got the feeling up until the thief thing that Paula was the instigator behind the privilege talks.  It’s Olivia.  Olivia likes being friends with a minority with less money to force awkward conversations with her family while like her father said not having any intention to give any money up.  I think what tipped the scale with Paula was Olivia approaching another guy she likes and him confirming it.

A terrible move on her part but Kai is responsible for his own bad choices.

Edited by dmc
  • Love 11
12 minutes ago, dmc said:

A terrible move on her part but Kai is responsible for his own bad choices.

EXACTLY. And he initially was uncomfortable with the idea and told Paula he doesn’t steal from people, so he knew better than to go through with it. He obviously didn’t think this through at all.

• Love 7

The way I saw it the bracelet theft wasn't about "helping" Kai as much as it was about Paula's desire to stick it to the Mossbachers.  After two weeks of being an outsider to the family yet expected to be grateful she saw a good opportunity to take something from these obnoxious people. 

That she found a way to sell it to Kail was probably more about talking herself into thinking it was a good thing.  Plus she got to do something to the Mossbachers and still keep her hands  clean.   Maybe.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 10
On 8/9/2021 at 5:10 PM, hurrrz said:

I read Greg's cough completely differently. I read this as his out to get out of the room / situation easily and have this be a one night stand / vacation fling. Him essentially ghosting her during the day also felt like he was really trying to just have this to be a very limited engagement. Then again, he switches after they have a few drinks, so I am not sure which interpretation is right. 

Yep - that's how I read it.

• Love 3
On 8/9/2021 at 2:10 PM, hurrrz said:

Beer goggles?

• LOL 2

One thing I forgot to mention earlier.  When Paula and Kai were planning their ill-advised caper, Kai mentioned having a pass key that would presumably open any room in the resort.  I would assume there is some way to track those and monitor who each pass key is assigned to.  I would be very surprised if they can't track which staff uses the key to go in and out of each room exactly for liability purposes, or in the case of potential thefts (and, in this case, battery).  It should be very easy for the police to determine who the last staff to enter the room was.    

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

One thing I forgot to mention earlier.  When Paula and Kai were planning their ill-advised caper, Kai mentioned having a pass key that would presumably open any room in the resort.  I would assume there is some way to track those and monitor who each pass key is assigned to.  I would be very surprised if they can't track which staff uses the key to go in and out of each room exactly for liability purposes, or in the case of potential thefts (and, in this case, battery).  It should be very easy for the police to determine who the last staff to enter the room was.    

Didn't Kai say he stole the pass key? He's a bus boy and entertainer so his job does not require access to the rooms. I really hope those two morons don't get an innocent person implicated. At least Nicole and Mark can give a description of their assailant's sex, height, weight, and age.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

He's a bus boy

I thought he was a bellman.  That still wouldn't be a good reason for him to be in a guest's room unless they were checking in/out, but it would at least explain him having a key. 

3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

We used these.  You can track on them on a couple conditions

They are being properly assigned (meaning most places have a box of these that you can program with different accesses)

You keep a log with who you assigned to what and then deactivate them when people leave.

A lot of places do not do any of this.  So IF he swiped a card or has an old employee's card that was not deactivated it won't help you.

Virginia cracked down after a woman was raped and murdered by an assistant manager that had a pass that no one was tracking.  

Like the idea is you can make sure employees are taking out cards not tied to service tickets or for nefarious  reasons.  You technically shouldn't have a guest key card when they are staying there checked out if you don't have a reason. 

This guy when caught had several cards just on his person for various rooms.  

Edited by dmc
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 8/9/2021 at 10:53 AM, CarpeFelis said:

I suspect Shane was just biding his time, because the nastiest thing he could do to Armond would be to let him think switching the rooms was enough to get Shane off his back and then call his boss and get him fired after checking out.

I’m wondering whether Mark had some huge inheritance or something, because he did say last episode that he bought the bracelets with his own money.

Agreed. I know Armond dug a lot of pits for himself, but honestly Shane's characterization make me think he would *always* have done this even if Armond provided impeccable service to make up for pineapple-gate. Armond was not on his A-game by any means, but I think a lot of his small roadblocks were perfectly reasonable because you would assume at some point the dude would get distracted by his incredibly new hot wife while on his honeymoon! 

I can see Kai getting off with a slap on the wrist if only because the Mossbacher's probably don't want the press attention. I do think Paula is about to get express ejected from the inner circle, though. And Olivia will be left miserable because she won't have someone stuck in an unhealthy power dynamic for her to continuously abuse and be her dedicated audience.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 4