Type keyword(s) to search

Suits - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I recently started (and finished) watching this show. I can't believe I had it on my "to watch" list for so long. I love it, even though I have a lot of issues with it as well especially the later seasons!

I watched this show years back via Netflix DVDs and stopped around Season 5.   I just found out Hulu has the entire series online so started watching from Season 6.   It amazed me all the creative ways Harvey, Mike, and the rest of the gang found to get themselves out of various situations.   A lot of it of course was contrived but still enjoyable.

• Like 2

Suits is now on Netflix!  I guess I can finally cancel Peacock. 

The premiere has a scene that isn't in the Peacock version - maybe more than one, but one really stuck out to me.

I just found this show, on vacation at home and it's raining and humid. Not bad, I heard about it, but never saw it. I FF through a few parts of some episodes, the plot not as interesting to me, but I do like the chemistry with the characters. Wish the women weren't so much eye candy but I'm only on season 2. I love how they work 80 hours a week, are in great shape, look great all the time, money for gorgeous clothes and shoes and think the only thing to make them whole is a good guy. : )

I found Good Wife after it was off the air too but loved that more. It fun to binge when you don't have to wait for the next episode.  It seemed more realistic and had my favorites from ER and Law and Order starring. I am glad I found this show but know I have to suspend more reality than in some shows but hope the plots get a little more intriguing as time goes on. They had some good ones and some "ehh".  Something keeps me coming back though.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, debraran said:

Wish the women weren't so much eye candy but I'm only on season 2. I love how they work 80 hours a week, are in great shape, look great all the time, money for gorgeous clothes and shoes and think the only thing to make them whole is a good guy. : )

I agree, and I wish that it had changed more over the seasons. Jessica does okay but the real live relationship of the show is Harvey/Mike and so any of their females get short shrift.

• Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I agree, and I wish that it had changed more over the seasons. Jessica does okay but the real live relationship of the show is Harvey/Mike and so any of their females get short shrift.

I am starting 3, I'll see that for sure re the women.  I must say the writing for Meghan is "ehh" . She spends most of her time pivoting on her heels after tossing her hair and saying some clipped comment. Bragging about her affair with a married man, like it's a perk, thinking she's a shoo-in for Harvard. Who applies to one school?  I understand it's part fantasy but yeah, all the women are smart but really shallow.

Some of the scripts are good, but they rehash a lot. I do like the Batman/Robin relationship with Harvey and Mike but I know Mike has to get caught sooner or later. I'll see if I can hang in that long.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
On 6/28/2023 at 8:21 PM, debraran said:

thinking she's a shoo-in for Harvard. Who applies to one school?

I could be remembering wrong but I seem to recall that there was something about that firm only hiring lawyers who graduated from Harvard. 🤷‍♀️

Best not to look too closely at the logic.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I could be remembering wrong but I seem to recall that there was something about that firm only hiring lawyers who graduated from Harvard. 🤷‍♀️

Best not to look too closely at the logic.

You are right and now I see she's applying to the "real" number one law schools, Stanford and Columbia. ; )  I actually like seeing Luis Litt and Mike together for a while..  he has more depth than Harvey even if unlikable most of the time. Harvey reminds me of a human Ken doll who is trying to not have his underbelly exposed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I just began this a week or so ago. I’m now in S6 (sick in bed at home) and other than it having some tropes and predictable plots, I’m finding it enjoyable enough to follow it to the end. I also have 4 other people I know that are just getting to it. We are having some fun discussions about the show. 

• Like 1

I binged when I didn't feel well and it was something to watch when bored. I did find a site where it gave synopsis of each episode and did FF through some trials and I really disliked some costars or guests (one of Harvey's ladies for instance) but all and all, enjoyed it. The end was worth it. They threw in enough to keep me watching but it was a love/hate watch for a bit. I miss it I must say. I really loved Louis by the end. : )

Last binge I felt that way about was The Good Wife which I loved and watched few years ago when  home with laryngitis. It gave me many weeks of pleasure and I'm glad I didn't see it earlier because I could watch it as I pleased and no commercials.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I am on Season 8 and yeah Louis is definitely my favorite to watch.  Apparently there are 9 seasons but Netflix only goes up to season 8 - wtf is up with that???

Something with a contract but Amazon prime has it. Do you have Prime?  I didn't like the first "Mike is back" episode but later in the season  it's better, I thought it was very good. Louis goes through so much, some things kind of silly but he rises to the occasion more and more

Edited by debraran

I don’t like Louis. He has moments where I feel sorry for him and moments he’s hilarious, but overall, he brings so many problems on himself and then plays the victim for those same problems. 

Also, I feel the writers didn’t know what to do with him. He was a cutthroat lawyer at first, then he alternated between being a good lawyer and being an incompetent buffoon who could be foiled by someone not reading letters to a cat.

17 hours ago, deaja said:

I don’t like Louis. He has moments where I feel sorry for him and moments he’s hilarious, but overall, he brings so many problems on himself and then plays the victim for those same problems. 

Also, I feel the writers didn’t know what to do with him. He was a cutthroat lawyer at first, then he alternated between being a good lawyer and being an incompetent buffoon who could be foiled by someone not reading letters to a cat.

Did you finish? I didn't like him often but at the end I did. The kindness with the three of them, Harvey especially. I didn't like his wife as much and the stuff with some of the staff and cats were silly, but I thought he seemed redeemed.

That's the trouble when they can't blur the lines with a "bad" character who is also a close friend one episode and then an enemy and then a "I'd do anything for you" type again.  All in all, I bought the deep friendship by the end.

1 minute ago, debraran said:

Did you finish? I didn't like him often but at the end I did. The kindness with the three of them, Harvey especially. I didn't like his wife as much and the stuff with some of the staff and cats were silly, but I thought he seemed redeemed.

That's the trouble when they can't blur the lines with a "bad" character who is also a close friend one episode and then an enemy and then a "I'd do anything for you" type again.  All in all, I bought the deep friendship by the end.

Yes, I've watched the whole series twice. After that, I've started stopping after season 7.

Sure, he becomes outwardly less power hungry and it focuses less on his betrayals, but overall, I think he is irredeemable as a character and the writers tried too late because of the greatness that is Rick Hoffman's acting ability (and he seems to be a genuinely good guy - one that just plays a horrible person imo).

Louis’ arc at the end of 6/beginning of 7 illustrates why I can never root for him. 

He verbally abused his pregnant fiancé and get dumped. Because of the giant pity party he throws himself, he then verbally abuses the associates with a bonus side of sexual harassment. Donna and Rachel, instead of focusing on the fact that he’s a loose cannon who has no business working with people, do their whole “poor Louis!” schtick. Then Donna decides to talk to Louis and he harangues her as well. 

But also, Rachel taking over the associates reeks of “we need to give the character something to do” because in what world would a first year oversee all the associates? 

I'm near the end of Season 5 and I'm liking Harvey and Mike less and less. They're both major A-Hs. Too much rude, stupid, unnecessary shouting at people. Coupla jerks. I'm losing interest but there's still enough to interest me to keep me going. I'm feeling committed now to see it through to the end.

And I must say the moral outrage these people show when learning of Mike's fraud  seems way overblown and hypocritical. Has Mike done any real harm considering his gifted mind and his track record? By this point in a number of states he could skip law school, take the bar, and practice. (Not in his first few years though.) (Called reading the law.) Yes, he was wrong, but is this, or anything Harvey has done,  really something for Gibbs to be out of her mind with rage and vengeance over? Yeah it's a violation, but look at the unique circumstances and take everything into consideration. 

Edited by Pike Ludwell
18 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I'm near the end of Season 5 and I'm liking Harvey and Mike less and less. They're both major A-Hs. Too much rude, stupid, unnecessary shouting at people. Coupla jerks. I'm losing interest but there's still enough to interest me to keep me going. I'm feeling committed now to see it through to the end.

And I must say the moral outrage these people show when learning of Mike's fraud  seems way overblown and hypocritical. Has Mike done any real harm considering his gifted mind and his track record? By this point in a number of states he could skip law school, take the bar, and practice. (Not in his first few years though.) (Called reading the law.) Yes, he was wrong, but is this, or anything Harvey has done,  really something for Gibbs to be out of her mind with rage and vengeance over? Yeah it's a violation, but look at the unique circumstances and take everything into consideration. 

I won’t give specifics because you’re not there yet, but by the series finale, I cannot stand a single character on the show. Haha. They are all completely insufferable.

I started the show as a friend's suggestion. It is enjoyable in a way that I can doze off and not miss a lot. Background noise

I hate everyone. The characters are a perfect illustration of shallowness, of the emptiness of people who seek power and the traps of capitalism.

Mike becomes a caricature, arrogant and completely oblivious. Even in prison, he is still full of himself, Mr. Right, and does't even acknowledge that he IS a fraud. Comes and goes as he pleases to talk to the counselor, and yells when things don't go his way. He is a clone of Harvey, which is absolutely not a compliment.

Harvey is an ass. No salvation

Jessica is all power but all she wants is to dress as if she is going to the Met Gala.

Donna, a secretary, never repeats an outfit, orders people around, does absolutely no good work

Rachel is a baby.

Louis is just there for comedy relief. The only saving grace of the show, because the actor is so good and has such great timing. 

I am not sure if the writers are just clueless about how corporate lawyers work, or if they attempted to criticize capitalism. If it is the latter, they failed. Still, it is a good lesson on how capitalism is on life support and the first victims as those without power. 

Three peeves/tropes

Testosterone gone wild. Why all the man have to break things and punch each other to make a point? They are supposed to be corporate lawyers, basically sociopaths, therefore manipulators, and get make a point without a physical fight?

Gallo, in prison, says that he gained weight while he was there. This is absurd. People lose weight in prison, even federal, white collar prisons, because the food is so bad and the servings so meager.

People on death row (or any inmate), when proven innocent and released, don't just walk out of the courtroom. It is a long process, because the ones who made the initial mistake do anything they can to delay. They hold a grudge and want to punish, again, their victims.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:19 PM, Pike Ludwell said:

By this point in a number of states he could skip law school, take the bar, and practice. (Not in his first few years though.)

I was reading here to see if anyone mentioned this, the fact that Harvey wants Mike to practice again, after leaving jail, by simply taking the bar. SO, apparently someone can take the bar if they are far enough in law school? Is that what you mean? But the thing is, I guess it was during hie trial, someone said that he had't even finished college, so he never really went to law school. If there is another moment in the show where they said he was in law school, then it is a major fuck up in the writing continuity. Which one is the real version of the story? I know the end of the show, I looked it up, but I am still annoyed by everyone. I mean, the old joke applies to this show so well: what do you call a bunch of lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? Answer: a good outcome

Another peeve: never been to a law firm where paralegals, or anyone really, walks all day in stilettos. Not the first show I noticed that, Hollywood needs better wardrobe research people

2 hours ago, circumvent said:

SO, apparently someone can take the bar if they are far enough in law school? Is that what you mean? But the thing is, I guess it was during hie trial, someone said that he had't even finished college, so he never really went to law school. If there is another moment in the show where they said he was in law school, then it is a major fuck up in the writing continuity. Which one is the real version of the story?

Reading back on what I wrote I was confused myself and had to remember what I was thinking.

No the show never has Mike going to law school at all. I just meant he'd have to have spent a few years working with lawyers. I'm not sure how long at that point Mike had been working at that firm, or even if it was as much as 2 or 3 years, so I threw in a caveat that he'd have to have worked with lawyers for a few years in the states that allow it.

Edited by Pike Ludwell

I was never a Donna fan, I did note also she never repeated an outfit, was the "stepford" secretary and pined for Harvey while he screwed other women and she kept busy on occasion with a guy she'd never love. Kind of sad...10 years of that until he finally woke up. Geez And she thought she deserved the salary she got and never suspected Harvey padded it??

I did like Louis most of the time because good or bad, he had the most dimension and depth. They were all cutthroat but he saw it.

Rachel didn't act in this show, she pivoted constantly on her high heels and walked away after saying something not too profound. I never felt any chemistry with her and Mike.

Re the jail weight comment, some do lose weight for sure, but many (look at OJ) get puffy and do gain weight because of the heavy carbs and lack of real exercise. Some get extra food depending on their influence and job.

The reality of law and boards and all that, I suspended. This was my first hate watch, I used to watch Million Little Things and say that but I had to stop, it was just too much. This show, sometimes was background, sometimes I was actively watching and sometimes I was watching but also paying bills etc. You missed something, it usually wasn't a big deal, certain episodes were better than others. I found a page that gave a synopsis of each so I could have a heads up.

Edited by debraran
11 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

No the show never has Mike going to law school at all. I just meant he'd have to have spent a few years working with lawyers. I'm not sure how long at that point Mike had been working at that firm, or even if it was as much as 2 or 3 years, so I threw in a caveat that he'd have to have worked with lawyers for a few years in the states that allow it.

I don't think simply working in a law firm for years will give one access to the bar exams. If that's the case, why would Rachel have to go to law school? She was a paralegal for what, 7 years, before she was even rejected by Harvard, accepted by Columbia? She brags about knowing more than many associates, still had to apply and be accepted by a school

5 hours ago, circumvent said:

I don't think simply working in a law firm for years will give one access to the bar exams. If that's the case, why would Rachel have to go to law school? She was a paralegal for what, 7 years, before she was even rejected by Harvard, accepted by Columbia? She brags about knowing more than many associates, still had to apply and be accepted by a school

It's called "reading the law". That's how Mike became an actual lawyer in Season 6. I don't remember how, or if they ever explained why, Rachel couldn't have done the same thing.

4 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

It's called "reading the law". That's how Mike became an actual lawyer in Season 6. I don't remember how, or if they ever explained why, Rachel couldn't have done the same thing.

I don't think they (writers) will explain anything about Rachel because they are already so twisted in their own bullshit, they just ignore it.

New York is not one of the states that allow that route for anyone to take the Bar, but I don't think New York is murdering people in death row either, so that is consistent with the writers wanting to have the real NY as a setting and making stuff up as if it is another planet

Mike wasn't a "lawyer" long enough even for the states that allow "reading the law" for the Bar. This whole thing was a way for the writers to finish the character's story as if he is the most awesome ever to walk the pavements of the corporate world. They could have set this up from the beginning but they either didn't have a story to tell, just went with the endless fights and backstabbing, or they were caught by surprise with the actor who plays Mike wanting to leave. My guess is the former

In any case, just one more reason to dislike 99% of this show, its characters and the stories

Can someone explain to me the reason behind Rachel telling Louis in the beginning of season 7 that she should be the overseer of the associates? I don't remember she had even passed the Bar yet, but I am assuming she had. Still, she is on the same level of the other associates, no matter how high she thinks of herself. She is probably behind them, if they were there before her, busting their asses while she strolls on her stilettos. She is not even a Junior Partner, why would she be taking over the leadership?

1 hour ago, circumvent said:

Can someone explain to me the reason behind Rachel telling Louis in the beginning of season 7 that she should be the overseer of the associates? I don't remember she had even passed the Bar yet, but I am assuming she had. Still, she is on the same level of the other associates, no matter how high she thinks of herself. She is probably behind them, if they were there before her, busting their asses while she strolls on her stilettos. She is not even a Junior Partner, why would she be taking over the leadership?

Was that the same season (show started to go off rails) when Donna thought she should be partner too? I think Louis has a bad day being dumped and yells at the associates and she wants Donna to use her super powers to get her to be in control of them but it fails. All I remember for now.

1 hour ago, debraran said:

Was that the same season (show started to go off rails) when Donna thought she should be partner too? I think Louis has a bad day being dumped and yells at the associates and she wants Donna to use her super powers to get her to be in control of them but it fails. All I remember for now.

Yes, same season. Donna wanting to be a partner was so eye rolling, I was glad she overheard the two jackasses talking about her as a career secretary. This show is such a mess! No likable characters, impossible plots. It is all grift and backstabbing.

I think the show went off rails as soon as Mike decided his tie wasn't good enough for Harvey. When was that? Second episode of season one? Maybe it was the first episode. 

• Like 1
On 11/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, Pike Ludwell said:

I think it’s pretty unusual to be able to pass the bar and practice as a lawyer without going to law school. I think Mike was “able” to do it because of his eidetic memory; he had the law books memorized. 

It was ridiculous how they later tried to make Rachel’s paralegal experience as qualifications to run the associates (not as ridiculous as the secretary to COO pipeline…..) but I think the show was cutting expenses so having rachel wear multiple hats story wise made sense.

I think a person’s ability to enjoy this show depends, in large part, on what they value most: carefully executed plot, or characters and their relationships. I am in the latter camp, and that’s why I enjoyed the hell out of Suits. A lot of things happened over the nine seasons that didn’t make perfect sense, but if you come into this recognizing that Suits is, at heart, a high class soap opera, it’s easy to handwave the small stuff. At least nobody comes back from the dead.

Before watching, I had read that the show starts going downhill around season 5  or 6 and never recovers. I don’t entirely agree with this. I do think the early seasons are the strongest, and the show flailed in its attempt to find new focus after its central plot point was resolved. Reinventing itself as Oz Lite in season 6 was not a good move, nor were the seemingly random attempts to give the women more to do. (Donna’s a partner! No, wait, she’s a CEO! And let’s give Rachel dominion over the associates, even though she’s a paralegal. That makes sense!)

But although season 6 and 7 were messy as hell (and don’t even get me started on “The Donna”), I thought the series was reinvigorated in seasons 8 and 9. Losing Mike, a character who had run his course, allowed them to bring in new blood in the form of Wendell Pierce, who I have loved since The Wire, and Katherine Heigl, who I also enjoy and have never understood the animosity towards. (Ooh, she’s “difficult”? The horror.) I liken this phase of the show to Cheers, post Coach and Diane: different characters, new energy.

Among the characters, my favorite was always Louis. Quirky as hell, but Rick Hoffman’s depiction kept him from descending into caricature. He also had the best character arc— while he never got to be Batman or Robin, by the end he was so much more than just the Joker.

And to my great relief, this show definitely stuck the landing. Giving the characters a Big Bad to rally against in the end didn’t make a lot of narrative sense (why wouldn’t someone else simply be appointed in her stead?) but it provided the impetus for the last bit of character development. In the end, all relationships were resolved and everyone was right where they needed to be.

Suits was my nightly comfort food for the last few months, and although it wasn’t perfect, it was a great ride and I already miss it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I agree with above. It was a rollercoaster ride with some big bumps but fun. Louis was my fav. The rest were Barbie dolls including Harvey. They started to have more depth but Donna and the ladies in general were fluff and trying to act tough but you just went with it. I found myself having my first hate watch in a way but really missing it when I watched the last one.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

I couldn't enjoy the ending because I didn't see Faye as a Big Bad. I saw her as someone who saw their corruption and tried holding them accountable.

Watching for the first time, most because I was curious to see what all the fuss (e.g., Markle) was about, but back in the day I liked LA Law quite a bit so I assumed there was a decent chance that I'd enjoy this one.  

Just finished Season 8, Ep. 4, "Revenue Per Square Foot", so I'm winding down with the series.  This plotline includes Louis getting mugged and subsequently vapor locking in court due to having suppressed the trauma of the experience.

My biggest problem with this ep is that for a long while now Louis has had his therapist, Dr. Lipschitz, practically on retainer, calling him at all hours of the night and day, walk-in appointments, etc., but this time instead of reaching out once more to Lipschitz, Louis internalizes the event and misdirects his PTS towards Samantha. Not a realistic outcome, especially since he realized he was in denial after the court fiasco.

In general, sometime during the last season I gradually became aware of how frequently the characters say, "What do mean?" or "What are you talking about?" Without exaggeration, I think each phrase comes out of someone's mouth at least once and usually more per episode.  Seems like lazy writing.

Other nitpicks - I don't think any office environment includes the men wearing suitcoats the entire day; most guys take their jackets off when they settle in and put them on again when they leave the building.  I could almost handwave putting it on when you leave your office, but just working at your desk?  Very unlikely.

Finally, I realize it's TV and not a documentary, but c'mon...the basic premise is ridiculous - no firm is going to hire, retain, and have act on its behalf as an attorney someone without a law degree (especially one as prestigious as Pearson Hardman is supposed to be), photographic memory or not. And even if they did, they wouldn't get away with it for as long as these guys did.  I get it, without that you don't have a show, but still...it's tough to suspend disbelief.

All that said, I do like the show (obviously, since I've hung in this long).  The banter between the characters is amusing (if a little forced sometimes), Louis is a bit over exaggerated but so was Douglas Brackman (though not quite this much), and the production values sets and men's wardrobe (the women's are a little OTT for a law office) are on point. 

I'm not feeling the need to binge, nor will I miss it when it's over, but it's been a fun watch.

This is my first time watching this. I'm over half-way done with season 6. 

Could they make Mike any more unsufferable? I really can't stand him anymore. I'm glad that prison stuff is done with. I hope Jessica isn't gone for good. I loved seeing her new outfits every day. Just have to see where it goes I guess.

• Like 1