Type keyword(s) to search

Cleaning Lady Media: Mob Rule

• Start Topic

From EW's Fall Preview:

The Cleaning Lady (Fox, Sept. 19)

The Cleaning Lady continues to explore the difficulties undocumented immigrants in the United States face when attempting to access healthcare and resources in season 2. Thony (Elodie Yung) will use her medical abilities to find ways to help her community as a doctor while working with criminal Arman (Adan Canto) to fund her noble aims, which pulls her further into his dark world. Complicating things for them both will be new character Robert Kamdar, played by Naveen Andrews. "Robert Kamdar is Nadia's [Eva De Dominici] dangerously unpredictable ex-lover who pulled Nadia out from the slums of Argentina and brought her to America, so they have a deep, complicated history together, and the moment Nadia steps back into his life, he's determined to win her back by creating a wedge between her and Arman," showrunners Melissa Carter and Miranda Kwok said in a statement.

The-Cleaning-Lady-090222_1.jpg

A few interviews:

'Naveen Andrews on What to Expect from His Role in ‘The Cleaning Lady’'

“He’s willing to offer help but, of course, it comes at a price,” says Andrews. “The nature of that price and how he exacts that – at least, to me – means that he cannot help but be a malign influence on the other characters.”

Andrews did reveal that Robert is a man without empathy – which means Arman (and Thony) may be dealing with a sociopath. But, the only thing keeping Robert from truly being demented are his feelings for Nadia. ...

'Élodie Yung on Thony’s Criminal Descent in ‘The Cleaning Lady’ Season 2'

...  I don’t believe she’s a sociopath [or that] she belongs to the mafia world and [goes] full-on gangster. I don’t believe that in a minute. She has to keep going and I can relate to this. She has to put on the mask, but deep down – at nighttime, when she goes into Luca’s bed, she’s Thony, the loving mother. She’s facing what she’s going through and reveals her vulnerability. I don’t think she goes into mafia mode. I think she makes these [difficult] choices and that is showing her humanity. I don’t think she’s stripped from it at all. She’s showing us her flaws even more this year and that is part of her humanity. She’s not pristine. She is a doctor and a loving mother, but she makes really questionable choices, but the drive is always protecting her son – protecting our family. That’s the core of this person. ...

Interview: 'Naveen Andrews on Bringing Danger Into Season 2'

"What's interesting about Robert is that he's almost representative of a certain class of educated criminal. He's highly educated, more educated than I am. An education doesn't necessarily mean that one can't be a criminal... or be a psychopath, a sociopath, or however a psychiatrist might care to define it. Moral depravity, it seems, is universal and has nothing to do with status or wealth. So it was interesting to explore a character that has that side to them."

Some quotes from the showrunner about Arman's arc this season, at TVLine:

Now that Arman is without both Hayak and his gun business (but newly freed from prison), “he is going to have to pivot,” confirms co-showrunner Miranda Kwok, who adds with a laugh, “and he’s obviously never held a normal job before.”

Not sure if it was coincidence, the writers, or corporate synergy, but the episodes of 911 and The Cleaning Lady that aired on October 3rd had the same episode title. (TCL's title was in Spanish, though.) -- "The Devil You Know"

• Useful 1

Another showrunner interview at The Wrap:

“[Thony] was always resisting it,” the showrunner and executive producer told TheWrap. “She is somebody who’s always going to try to hold on to her moral center as much as she can, but at the same time, she can’t. She’s somebody who thinks that she can outsmart everyone and be in control and control everything. What Episode 7 tells us is that she can’t.”

• Thanks 1

The description for Season 2, episode 10 is out, and it doesn't mention anything about it being the season finale or penultimate episode, so I'm guessing there are at least 12 episodes this season.

• Useful 1

'Princess Punzalan Chats About FOX TV’s ‘The Cleaning Lady’'

The Cleaning Lady is your first network role here in the United States. How did you get the part?

It was a long journey. Honestly, I didn't even believe that I could cross over from the Philippines to American TV. The acting style is just so different. I went to classes to get retrained.

How has your fan base responded to your role in The Cleaning Lady here in the US?

Most of the reactions were, “Oh, I was watching the show already and didn't expect to see you in it.” They were genuinely happy because they finally saw a real Filipino acting like a Filipino on screen. It felt good knowing that I don't have to pretend like I'm a different race to be on TV.

From the interviews:

And I do think that Thony and Arman will find ways to come back together again and trust each other again. They were so close at the end of Season 1 [that] we needed to slow down their relationship a bit, find reasons to keep them apart, and now their relationship has become more complicated and loaded with missteps and broken trust — but I think that’s a good thing. How they will come back together again after everything they survived this season will only make them stronger now.

This is a classic; but I hate it. Especially when "slow down" actually means "shut down".

• Useful 1

And another at Deadline:

KWOK: I think what we’re always interested is somebody who can challenge Thony and Arman and push them a little beyond their comfort zone to do things they wouldn’t normally want to do. But at the same time, hold a mirror up to them as well. Arman and Thony hold up a mirror to each other and show each other you know, who they are at the core. So I think with each villain that we bring in, we want them to bring something that is able to allow our characters to self reflect as well.

• Useful 1

TVLine Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | The Cleaning Lady‘s sophomore finale was an emotionally arduous ordeal, namely for Martha Millan‘s Fiona. Across two harrowing hours, Millan communicated fear, resolve, uncertainty, resentment and about half a dozen more emotions as Fiona and Thony ran out of options, resulting in Fiona’s arrest and eventual deportation. The actress shone brightest, though, when a jailed Fiona spoke one-on-one with son Chris, imploring him not to follow her out of the country if she got deported. “Every sacrifice I’ve made, every lie I’ve told, every toilet I’ve cleaned — it was for you,” she told him, Millan’s voice breaking with urgency. Here’s hoping The Cleaning Lady returns for a third season, as does Fiona; we suspect Millan has much more glorious heartache in store for us.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, paigow said:

Is there enough plot for Season 4? Hope they wrap it up strongly in S3.

Well the Argentine source was about 12 episodes although it teased their cleaning lady having a new boss in the finale 

I'd much rather watch Thony overcome her circumstances using her skills; but past showrunner interviews suggest that they are more interested in her falling deeper into the world of crime. So with that mindset - yes, I think they can mine several seasons of things getting worse.

Kate del Castillo, Santiago Cabrera Join Fox’s ‘The Cleaning Lady’ Season 3 Cast

Kate-del-Castillo-and-Santiago-Cabrera.j

Kate del Castillo as Ramona Sanchez, an elegant, beautiful, regal matriarch, she has the grace and quiet wisdom that belies a ruthless cunning below the surface. To the world, she’s a benevolent philanthropist, art collector, and loving aunt to a young child, but behind closed doors, she’s shrewd, powerful, and fiercely protective of her family, her business and her many dark secrets. Driven by the desire to seek out the right heir to continue her legacy, Ramona deftly manipulates everyone in her orbit to determine who are her allies and eliminate those who are her obstacles. Ramona will sharpen her claws to ensure she gets what she wants and calmly eviscerates anyone who stands in her way without breaking a sweat. 

Santiago Cabrera as Jorge Sanchez, an intelligent and intuitive with a deep inner strength, he was born in Mexico but raised in the US with all the privileges that newfound wealth has brought to his family. A Harvard Law grad, Jorge been working as a successful businessman using legitimate business fronts to launder money and serve as a fixer in his family’s organization. Struggling with his wife’s untimely death, he cycles through stages of grief and an insatiable rage at the world, often making him volatile and unpredictable. The only joy left in his life is his daughter, Violeta, whom he strives to protect above all else. But everything changes when Thony walks into his life, opening old wounds, reminding him of the family he once lost – and challenging him to be the person he could be.

• Useful 2

This is crazy.... 😔

'Adan Canto, Cleaning Lady and Designated Survivor Star, Dead at 42'

I thought it was a little weird that he wasn't in the promo.

How this affects the show specifically, from TVLine:

According to our sister site Deadline, Canto’s diagnosis did not allow for him to return to Fox’s The Cleaning Lady when production on Season 3 got underway in December — though it was expected that he’d rejoin his co-stars and reprise his role as gangster Arman Morales later this season. The show will reportedly pay tribute to Canto with a memorial card during the Season 3 premiere, airing Tuesday, March 5, at 8/7c.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 5

OMG!  There's so much to say about this creatively related to the show and the choices made, but I'm just stunned. 

He was too young and left behind such young kids. 

• Like 3

I just found out. Devastated. He was one of my fave actors. I heard on Twitter he stepped back from the show due to his cancer but never knew he was sick until this announcement. Geez. This is horrible. And I thought he’d lost some weight last season too. 

I was so excited to have him AND Santiago (loved him as Lancelot from Merlin). Now I see Santiago was brought to replace him. 

Heartbreaking. I’m so sad about this. Wow. 

• Like 3