Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Can't Fight This Feeling

• Start Topic

Chef Mathew struggles to please an incredibly difficult charter guest, and Katie tries to reinvigorate Lexi as they try to make amends; Courtney and Mzi grow closer, and David finally gathers the courage to ask Malia a burning question.

Bravo Airdate: 08.09.2021

This season the episodes will be airing a week earlier on Peacock Premium.  You can comment on the episode once it is live there.  Anyone waiting for the Bravo airing, be aware there will be early comments on the episode - so don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

• Love 1

I cannot believe that Sandy let  Chef Matthew come back permanently.  I was actually looking forward to the new chef joining the cast.  The cakes looked really bad and it had nothing to do with Courtney.  The cake she was trying to decorate looked like it was baked in a lasagna pan and the frosting was full of crumbs.  In the end I assume it tasted good.

I was angry after the previous episode that Lexi seemed to apologize to everyone but Lloyd.  I did really know she made a comment about his sexual orientation but I knew she upset him.  He seems like a sweet sensitive man and when he broke down at the end of the episode I felt so bad for him.  Lexi truly is satan.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 16

I felt bad for Courtney and Lloyd! Courtney is such an extrovert and has said she doesn’t want to be in laundry all the time because guest service is more social. (This stuck with me because I’m such an introvert, I’d gladly trade with her!) Then the guests forgot her name, and she was totally right that they rewarded Lexi for a bare minimum of decency. Those cakes were absolutely shameful, though. Couldn’t someone Google cake decorating hacks? 

It was kind of funny/sad when everyone else was gathering around Lloyd and the cameras cut to Lexi standing on the banquette, fishing around in a cabinet and complaining about the lack of healthy snacks. Like, this is the best we can hope for during hot tub drinking times: Lexi is off somewhere else, keeping herself occupied with a mild irritation and not actively harming others. 

Neither Lexi nor Mat will ever stop being self-centered and dramatic if people like Sandy (and, to an extent, Katie) give them no reason to. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

To their credit, Lexi and Mat did well during this charter with these guests -- demanding is not even the word.

And they refrained from taking shots because they didn't want to get in trouble again from another crew's night out.

It just seems forced for most of the crew to take shots, dance in front of each other.  Except for Courtney and Mzi kissing a bit, there doesn't seem to be hookup potential so why are they making them act like it's some prelude to an orgy?

Malia really tried to let David down easy.  OK, he may not be the most handsome guy but that other Brit cook she was engaged to was no prize either.  Or maybe chefs make way more money than deckhands.

That main charter guest who kept pestering Mat, shouldn't she have gone through Kate?  In any even, all her clients? were happy with the food and the cakes.  In fact they probably cared more about quantity than quality.  People who say they want to get their grub on may not care that much about refined dining.

TBH, I wouldn't either, in hot weather get dressed up for a sit down dinner.  If you're burning calories swimming and doing water sports, probably you want to eat often and a lot rather than waiting for multiple courses to come out.  You might prefer some smaller meals or snacks during the day.

But this is supposedly a luxury charter so the food is suppose to be gourmet?  Yet often they're just giving them large amounts of steak.

• Love 1

When I was a kid growing up, I remember playing outside and I guess I was in the right place at the right time when *wham* I got hit with a massive green, jelly like dump from what must have been a seagull. It virtually covered my head and ran down both sides to my shoulders. Is anyone on to what I'm getting at? It looked just like the icing on that sorry excuse for a cake! There was so much one could have done to spruce that up. It might take ten or fifteen minutes to make up a batch of sweet vanilla whipped cream, put it in a piping bag with a nice tip and redo the icing that way. It would have looked so much better. I've seen nicer work come out of an Easy Bake Oven. 

EBO.jpg

Edited by aqusdealer
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3

Have these people not watched British Bake Off? They are British, some of them. They should have been able to do a little piping and decorating on those cakes. Maybe the guest shouldn't have asked for 2 cakes and one saying Happy Birthday and one saying whatever the other one was supposed to say. Maybe she could have asked for a nice 2 tier cake with piping around edge and not writing.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Have these people not watched British Bake Off? They are British, some of them.

I've seen every season of GBBO except for the first one and I can barely crack open an egg, never mind decorate a cake.

39 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Maybe she could have asked for a nice 2 tier cake with piping around edge and not writing.

I'm sorry but the annoying guest was right.  Does one really need to specify  a two-tier cake to get a two-tier cake?

• Love 5

Random notes:

I generally try not and get on the reflexive Sandy Hate Parade, but oy.  Her handling of this Lexi situation has been pretty bad.  Not so much that I think she should toss her off the boat the minute someone carps, but if an supervisor comes to you to talk about one of her workforce, you don't just INVITE the employee being reported in.  You can decide that after talking to her, but at the moment?  Oy.

Lexi will never think she's wrong, ever, ever.  There's no point in attempting to get her to.  

• Like 1
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Does one really need to specify  a two-tier cake to get a two-tier cake?

I mean, kinda.  I made a really great French cake yesterday that was one layer.  If you want two layers, ask.  If you didn't specify, well, you can certainly whine, but I won't really think it's justified.  (Now, at the same time, there is some secondary fault in the cook for not asking after being asked for a cake.  But for me the primary fault is with the Primary.)

Edited by Lassus
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I'm sorry but the annoying guest was right.  Does one really need to specify  a two-tier cake to get a two-tier cake?

Also, she had specified she wanted two cakes.  With eight guests or however many there were, I wouldn't think that meant two tiered cakes either.  That's a lot of cake.  

(not to diminish how unattractive those two cakes were)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I've seen every season of GBBO except for the first one and I can barely crack open an egg, never mind decorate a cake.

Well she asked for 2 cakes....on a yacht first of all (with one chef who also has to do a 10 course meal or whatever she demanded). And she asked that one have happy birthday written on it and the other have some other thing written on it...written. Nice fancy cakes don't have writing on them so she got the basic every home done cake she wanted...with words on them.

Edited by Lamima
  • Like 1
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, aghst said:

Malia really tried to let David down easy.  OK, he may not be the most handsome guy but that other Brit cook she was engaged to was no prize either.  Or maybe chefs make way more money than deckhands.

What does handsomeness have to do with it? Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. I haven't seen the episode. Did she say she didn't want to date him because he was fugly? Or that she just wasn't attracted to him, which can happen no matter how good or bad looking someone is. 

7 hours ago, Lamima said:

Nice fancy cakes don't have writing on them so she got the basic every home done cake she wanted...with words on them.

Whaaat!!! Nice fancy cakes definitely have writing on them. Don't you watch GBB?

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, Lassus said:

Random notes:

I generally try not and get on the reflexive Sandy Hate Parade, but oy.  Her handling of this Lexi situation has been pretty bad.  Not so much that I think she should toss her off the boat the minute someone carps, but if an supervisor comes to you to talk about one of her workforce, you don't just INVITE the employee being reported in.  You can decide that after talking to her, but at the moment?  Oy.

Lexi will never think she's wrong, ever, ever.  There's no point in attempting to get her to.  

I think Lexi is the biggest female narcissist I’ve ever seen, probably borderline psychopath by some of the things she says, even when being nice….not to mention her list!

• Like 1
  • Love 17
16 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Also, she had specified she wanted two cakes.  With eight guests or however many there were, I wouldn't think that meant two tiered cakes either.  That's a lot of cake.  

Was it on her preference sheet? If so how was it worded?

If I were requesting a special occasion cake I would be very descriptive, color, flavor, design, style, etc...I know the yacht vacation is supposed to be first class, five star service, no request goes unanswered sort of thing but the guests have to realize the chef is only one person and trying to feed a small crowd three meals a day creative, amazing meals, cakes seem so basic when there are a million other desserts a chef can create.  The guests were all adults, do they really need a cake with writing?  

The woman in charge seems nice but she is all over the place with her requests and who starts dinner without all of the guests at the table? 

The producers are driving this train so anything is possible with requests and issues.

• Love 7

If a guest was on his or her first luxury yacht charter, they may have more modest requirements and demands.

So maybe producers tell them they can make all kinds of requests or raise their expectations that the crew will cater to their every whims and desires.

So a given BD guest may have been coached to ask for certain things, both before and after they get on the yacht.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The woman in charge seems nice but she is all over the place with her requests and who starts dinner without all of the guests at the table? 

My favorite part was when the primary was sitting at the table and says something like "Excuse me, but I would like to sit over there."  The looks on the stew's faces was hysterical.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

If someone asked me for a two tiered cake I would assume they meant two cakes (one smaller) stacked on top of each other.  A two layer cake would be two cakes, same size, with filling in the middle.  

• Love 7

It just seems forced for most of the crew to take shots, dance in front of each other.  Except for Courtney and Mzi kissing a bit, there doesn't seem to be hookup potential so why are they making them act like it's some prelude to an orgy?

I wish they would drop these forced outings and drunken parties. They are so performative and inorganic. I couldn't believe Malia grinding and twerking all over the place in the main salon, but then again nothing this girl does should surprise me at this point.

This thing with Lloyd crying over being bullied on previous charters just came out of nowhere. It's like the producers strap them down and pour alcohol down their throats until they just lose their shit.

Did Dave really think he had a shot with Malia? Doesn't he have mirrors?

I've commented on this before but have never understood why breakfast is such a free for all on this boat. The chef should have basics already set out, buffet style, for guests waking up at different times: fresh fruit, coffee, tea, toast, bacon, sausages, etc. Then if they want to order eggs or pancakes that's really the only thing he has to make. I don't know why eight guests get to order eight wildly different things at eight different times. I suspect it only works this way because the producers want to sow chaos. Lunch and dinner don't work that way. It's always a mess and everything is always late.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 9
On 8/3/2021 at 3:06 AM, aqusdealer said:

When I was a kid growing up, I remember playing outside and I guess I was in the right place at the right time when *wham* I got hit with a massive green, jelly like dump from what must have been a seagull. It virtually covered my head and ran down both sides to my shoulders. Is anyone on to what I'm getting at? It looked just like the icing on that sorry excuse for a cake! There was so much one could have done to spruce that up. It might take ten or fifteen minutes to make up a batch of sweet vanilla whipped cream, put it in a piping bag with a nice tip and redo the icing that way. It would have looked so much better. I've seen nicer work come out of an Easy Bake Oven. 

EBO.jpg

An Easy Bake Oven was the one toy I always wanted but never got but I had my daughter I got one for her, it was her least favorite toy and by then they looked microwave ovens instead of the classic older models.

Matt did a great job on the last charter but why does he have to be so very volatile, sigh.

I very clearly heard at least three times both the client say "two cakes" all nodded and talked about the designs, two cakes, so why would she think it would be anything other than exactly that, two cakes.

Also, I am not sure what her role is for the guests but that woman who is calling the shots might be a travel agent or some kind?  Do we know what her title is?

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/3/2021 at 11:41 AM, TexasGal said:

To me sheet cakes are the bottom of the barrel of baking.  Whenever I see a sheet cake, all I can think of is cake from the local grocery store purchased for an office employee's birthday celebration. 

To boot, there was no thought process on the part of Matt as far as going over the top with beautiful decorations.  Did he even make those cakes, or did he buy them like he did with the wedding cake?

I just can't stand Matt, above and beyond his behavioral and alcohol issues.  Yes, the guests seem to like his food, but I've yet to see anything he makes that's visually appetizing as well as tasty.  He strikes me as super-lazy with regard to stepping it up to yacht caliber food.

I was so disappointed that Captain Asshat kept him on.  I would have loved to see what the quarantined chef might have been able to come up with.

The world's worst captain keeps a crappy worker who has twice walked off the boat (well the first time, fake hobbled off), yet boots Kiko and Hannah without batting an eyelash.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:49 PM, Lamima said:

Well she asked for 2 cakes....on a yacht first of all (with one chef who also has to do a 10 course meal or whatever she demanded). And she asked that one have happy birthday written on it and the other have some other thing written on it...written. Nice fancy cakes don't have writing on them so she got the basic every home done cake she wanted...with words on them.

I think this pretentious primary thought she was dealing with the Cake Boss when she placed her demanding order.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Was it on her preference sheet? If so how was it worded?

If I were requesting a special occasion cake I would be very descriptive, color, flavor, design, style, etc...I know the yacht vacation is supposed to be first class, five star service, no request goes unanswered sort of thing but the guests have to realize the chef is only one person and trying to feed a small crowd three meals a day creative, amazing meals, cakes seem so basic when there are a million other desserts a chef can create.  The guests were all adults, do they really need a cake with writing?  

The producers are driving this train so anything is possible with requests and issues.

Funnily, I didn't find the pretentious primary to be nice at all.  I think she watched a bunch of movies and read fiction novels on how she thinks a guest who charters a yacht is supposed to act, and came away with the idea that fabulously wealth people are obnoxious, rude, snide, pretentious and demanding in a stupid vs. justifiable way and she ran with that. 

The prime example of this pretentious primary being stupidly demanding was when she wanted the food NOW before everyone was seated at the table.

And not only is she a fake, fakety, fakety, fake snot, she's a cheap ass beyotch as well.  For as much as she had the crew jumping all over themselves to satisfy her, you would think she would reward them accordingly.

I kind of found her to be a reverse racist, which may not be the right thing to say out loud, but it's what I saw with how she was only always praising Lexi, who was doing only the bare minimum of service per her usual shitty personality and workless ethic, while nothing awesome was said to or about any of the Caucasian crew. 

I didn't like this phony pretentious primary one bit.

Edited by Xebug67
  • Love 18

I thought the primary was very irritating also. I can understand someone having high expectations on a charter of this magnitude and cost, but I feel the primary was only doing what she *thinks* was  expected in this kind of situation. I don’t believe she really had a clue. I also got sick of her running down to the kitchen for every little thing. That’s what you have staff for. Follow the hierarchy. It’s distracting as hell to have unexpected galley  guests making demands when you’re trying to triple task against the clock.

• Love 19
On 8/4/2021 at 12:39 PM, iMonrey said:

I wish they would drop these forced outings and drunken parties. They are so performative and inorganic. I couldn't believe Malia grinding and twerking all over the place in the main salon, but then again nothing this girl does should surprise me at this point.

I agree. That is all the twerking that I need to see for the rest of the season. They need to get creative with their free time. Why don't they play some old school games for part of a night? Drunken pictionary or charades may not be drama-filled, but they could be funny. It would at least be something different for us to watch. Plus, I could see a contest with Malia pitted against Lexi getting pretty intense!

• Love 10
On 8/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, aghst said:

Malia really tried to let David down easy.  OK, he may not be the most handsome guy but that other Brit cook she was engaged to was no prize either.  

Hands down, David's personality and looks are far better than her ex, the pouty, entitled chef who cheated on her. Why would someone win her over just to cheat on her?

• Love 9
On 8/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, Jsage said:

I agree. That is all the twerking that I need to see for the rest of the season. They need to get creative with their free time. Why don't they play some old school games for part of a night? Drunken pictionary or charades may not be drama-filled, but they could be funny. It would at least be something different for us to watch. Plus, I could see a contest with Malia pitted against Lexi getting pretty intense!

If I was putting in 16 hour days during a charter, last thing I'd want is to stay on the boat to play games. I'd be out there drinking and dancing like every other young and single person.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Chalby said:

If I was putting in 16 hour days during a charter, last thing I'd want is to stay on the boat to play games. I'd be out there drinking and dancing like every other young and single person.

I mean in the past they have done that but I think it’s clear that due to COVID production attempted to limit their exposure to people hence the partying on the boat after dinner rather than at clubs and bars after dinner. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 8/4/2021 at 5:16 PM, Xebug67 said:

And not only is she a fake, fakety, fakety, fake snot, she's a cheap ass beyotch as well.

After reading your post I can agree with you, her soft spoken voice and non drunken antics fooled me in to thinking she was nice just confused about how to orchastrate her clients vacay, her wanting dinner served before all the guests were at the table was not nice, her requests were not clear but the crew and the chef did as she wanted.  She may not have liked the look of the cakes (they were not good) but her clients liked them a lot.

It makes me wonder why she would opt to have dinner service start without certain people at the table, is that some kind of a low key FU to them?  I also wonder if she knew she was under tipping.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 8/4/2021 at 2:07 PM, Xebug67 said:

I just can't stand Matt...

He is definitely a bad drunk, and a very moody chef. I recognize that all chefs are moody, but his anger at having to feed the crew just seemed over the top. Chefs get paid way more than the crew and if he's truly organized, putting out some food for the crew should not be that difficult. I can't help but think of how many times my mother would cook/prepare meals for a party of 20 yet still feed her own kids/family prior.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Chalby said:

I can't help but think of how many times my mother would cook/prepare meals for a party of 20 yet still feed her own kids/family prior.

That's because Matts an entitled little whiner that doesn't think he should have to.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

What about the revelation that Mat spent $150,000 on sex last year??  Is that even possible?  He sure is obsessed with the topic, even after being asked to clean up his act during the last dinner.

He sure comes across as someone who has to pay for sex, but 150K?

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Why didn't Matt just outsource the making of the cakes?  It's been done before and he knew it was out of his realm.  The primary's (or did she work for the primary?) request for the cakes were if she expected the boat had a full service bakery.  Why 2 cakes anyway one for B day and one with their company logo?  So passive aggressive!  She should've been more precise with her requests for her clients.  The clients seemed nice though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Vipbrj said:

im still not sure what she does

isn't it obvious /s?

“I will show you how to use conscious language to shatter all limiting beliefs, judgments, and negative emotions about your mystical gifts so you can tap into your inner magic and perceive a higher soul-nourishing reality”

• LOL 14
12 hours ago, Vipbrj said:

I was curious what the company was and who the primary was and this is her website:

https://www.athenalucene.com

im still not sure what she does 😂

So much fluff, the word "Spiritual," has never been used so much in print ever, there was no "there" there.

Just reading a few lines on any of the pages I get what she was trying to do on the yacht, her wanting to show people how to be more confident and get what they want, etc...so her saying she wanted to sit in another seat was her way of demonstrating that however it was a very meek and mild request, she does not aim very high.

I am not impressed by her trying to be the final word of what happens on the charter, her request of starting dinner before all the guests arrived at the table seemed like she just wanted to throw her weight around, had she said that the two women were always late, we are tired of waiting for them, etc...it would have made sense.  

I guess she got a lot of money from those guys who owned the business they were celebrating, duped them in to believing their success was because of her doing, maybe?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

You would think so, she was in the damn galley every time Mat turned around.

Considering the crap cakes Mat made she should have been down their more. I've seen 4-year olds bake better cakes, on their own! I was shocked when the guests went crazy for them. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Vipbrj said:

I was curious what the company was and who the primary was and this is her website:

She's a fakety fake scammer who charges upwards of $10k for four sessions of "spiritual healing." Explains a lot.

Awwwww Lloyd! I love him so! I though his emotion was genuine (albeit drunk).  What a bunch of assholes he worked for!  I thought David was especially kind to him. Also..."I'm 90% straight" lol. And of COURSE Malia has to chime in how she "swung both ways" in college, ugh. Shut up Malia, no one cares about when you made out with a girl that one time while your boyfriend was watching.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, glitterpussy said:

She's a fakety fake scammer who charges upwards of $10k for four sessions of "spiritual healing." Explains a lot.

Awwwww Lloyd! I love him so! I though his emotion was genuine (albeit drunk).  What a bunch of assholes he worked for!  I thought David was especially kind to him. Also..."I'm 90% straight" lol. And of COURSE Malia has to chime in how she "swung both ways" in college, ugh. Shut up Malia, no one cares about when you made out with a girl that one time while your boyfriend was watching.

I thought it was Courtney who said that about her college days, but could be wrong.

• Useful 2
20 hours ago, Vipbrj said:

Her website seems, to me, like a shitload of mumbo jumbo "spiritual enlightenment/intuition" that people will get sucked into by paying lots of money for no results.

Are people that stupid that they can't figure shit out for themselves about their lives, problems relationships?

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

He sure comes across as someone who has to pay for sex, but 150K?

according to my cell phone calculator, $150,000 divided by 365 is approximately $41/day. If he got "pleasured" every day of the year for 365 days his willy would be broken. Unless he was implying he pays LOTS of money for one night with an "escort". Either way, Mat is a total douche, crybaby, moron.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, connieinnc said:

16 hours ago, connieinnc said:

I thought it was Courtney who said that about her college days, but could be wrong.

No it was Malia that said that but it does sound like something Courtney would do as well 😄

Save me a seat on the Lloyd love train!  Awww what a group of sweet dudes we have this season.  Past seasons of the original Below Deck have left a bad taste in mouth for the deck crew so it's refreshing to see such cool, if not a bit goofy, guys this time.  I would want to be their friend.  Lurve them all!

• Like 1
  • Love 12

I kind of have a different take on these charter guests.  I think they probably weren't very problematic or difficult at all and weren't generating anything worth showing, and the producers had to keep BEGGING her to raise a complaint, or go down to the galley, or give them ANYTHING they could use.  Her guests seemed to always be saying nice things about the boat and the staff and the great time they were having. And primary's "complaints" didn't have much passion behind them, like her heart wasn't in speaking up at all.  (Can you imagine the reaction if "IT'S A SUPERYACHT, SANDY!" lady had been served those cakes?)

I agree with whoever upthread pointed out that piping icing on a cake isn't that hard. Nor is buying one. Or making cupcakes and decorating those in some fanciful way. But Mathew seemed oddly psyched about sending those things out as is - definitely tv-ing and not chef-ing.

And while her dinner instructions were kind of muddled and awkward, is it seriously that hard to create a basic luxury yacht meal with a couple of nods to local cuisine  - a sauce here, a veggie or rice side there, and some calamari on the side?  Make a pilaf, throw in some Mediterranean spices and call it Croatian rice! I just googled - charcuterie is Croatian - do a board and ask the stews to come up with a local drink of the night.  She wanted her guests to feel that not only were they on a yacht, they were on an exotic Croatian vacation. So give them a good meal with some nods to local cuisine so they could say they tried it without being given an exotic tasting menu!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 8/9/2021 at 10:56 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

What about the revelation that Mat spent $150,000 on sex last year??  Is that even possible?  He sure is obsessed with the topic, even after being asked to clean up his act during the last dinner.

He sounds like a sex addict.  And he totally has to pay for it.  He's so unattractive, and not because he's bald as there are some very fine looking, hot and sexy bald men out there.  He's just not one of them.  He has an annoying face.  It's a cross between dopey, hang dog and homely.  Even his voice is annoying and dopey sounding.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:38 AM, mytmo said:

Why didn't Matt just outsource the making of the cakes?  It's been done before and he knew it was out of his realm.  The primary's (or did she work for the primary?) request for the cakes were if she expected the boat had a full service bakery.  Why 2 cakes anyway one for B day and one with their company logo?  So passive aggressive!  She should've been more precise with her requests for her clients.  The clients seemed nice though.

She could take a few lessons from her clients.  They were lovely, gracious, appreciative and gentlemanly.  She's no lady though, that's for sure.

• Love 3