Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: The Final Frame

• Start Topic

Ok the sound mixing sucks and I have no dialogue. Until it comes on (assuming it will) I’m going to interpret what’s going on as best I can.

Ok so it’s either the wedding day or Ava’s a bridezilla who wears her dress every chance she gets. Probably both. Gary’s annoying her.

Zari and Nate are on a hike together.

Sara, Mick, Spooner, and Astra are on a mission and find one of those Darkseid boxes that takes them to a bowling alley in space.

So far I’m reasonably sure I’m correct (not the Darkseid part of course).

Looks like most of the commercials are having the same sound mixing issue (though not the Superman and Lois trailer which is interesting) so it’s likely my market.

Cardigan Man is played by an actor with kind eyes so he’s probably a bad guy. He just told Sara something she finds odd.

Now we’re in a Big Lebowski homage. I hope John Goodman shows up!

Since I can only hear the music I can at least say I’m enjoying it.

Oh Zari and Nate are camping. Even though they’re presumably going to attend the wedding. Arrowverse characters really like to cut it close with weddings don’t they?

Spooner just said something that shocked Sara and I don’t know what it is!

There’s a loud group of fellow campers and, based on Zari’s look of horror, I can only assume it’s a serial killer community. That or they’re having an orgy. 

Looks like they may be frat guys? Which explains her horror though Nate’s a frat guy…

Now they’re trying to leave but the car isn’t working. Seriously don’t have plans right before you attend a wedding people.

Con and Behrad and hanging out. Oh I heard Gideon try to calculate something and can’t connect.

Sara’s trying to rally her small number of troops. I assume they’re going to challenge The Fake Lebowskis?

Spooner got a strike. Astra clearly doesn’t want to play. Sara bowls what I assume is a strike.

Ava changed her dress. Oh no she’s going to be a royal wedding type bride and do several outfits isn’t she? For what it’s worth the first dress was better.

Con looks upset with Behrad. Did Behrad hide his stash? They should smoke a bunch of weed together and that may curb Con’s cravings.

So The Fake Lebowskis magically siphon the essence of whoever they beat?

The commercials sound mixing is getting better while the show remains the same. Oh I spoke too soon the Eugene Levy one has no dialogue.

Now Zari and Nate are walking around with the frat guy and his girlfriend. I’m still not convinced they aren’t serial killers.

Cardigan Man must be the manager.

Dress #3 for Ava. It’s the worst yet. I take it Gary’s acting as wedding planner?

Con’s about to get his fix and masking it with his flask. Wait now he’s covered in symbols. Has he moved on to peyote?

Con did something magical and now Ava’s pissed. Though they did find the bowling alley.

Ava’s clearly freaking out about Sara seeing her in the dress but surely she wasn’t actually going to wear it so that superstition doesn’t matter?

I think they filmed the camping scenes in the same place Supernatural filmed the wendigo episode. Frat guy and his girlfriend look like the red shirts from it too.

They’re camping on a bowling ball? Didn’t see that coming. How did it even happen?

Frat guy just pissed off girlfriend.

I’d love it if this heart to heart in the tent was a breakup but it doesn’t seem like it.

Sara just had an epiphany. Cardigan Man brought beers and snacks.

Another troop rousing speech.

And now the sound mixing is fixed right before the episode ends.

Mick bowled a strike. Astra got a gutter ball plus some pins.

I wonder who’s on the red ball?

Strike for Astra! Wooo!

I still have no idea what’s going on.

The bowling ball was Earth?

Thank you Sara for not letting Ava wear that monstrosity. If you have to marry her at least the pictures should look good.

• LOL 6

Well, that was silly. It was a good silly, though. Four Legends winding up at the Bowling Alley At The Edge Of The Universe, inadvertently wagering Earth against asshole aliens? Good silly.

I had full sound, @scarynikki12. You missed a lot of stuff. Thankfully, it wasn't a situation where most improvised plots we could conjure up would be superior to the finished product. Yes, Nate and Zar1.0* go camping at the worst possible time, and the bit with the "free" couple felt tacked-on, but it was okay. Ava's increasingly silly dresses was basically Gary stalling for time because Gideon couldn't locate Earth, and the souped-up Constantine was forcing the Waverider to break through the time barrier. IMO, Ava was looking okay before Gary started adding on bells and whistles. Thankfully, he didn't throw in actual bells and whistles on the gown. He probably would have if that subplot had gone on longer.

I like the show. I get the criticisms and the dread, and I dread that I might be more critical in the future, but I'm just going with the ride . . . even if we wind up going back to the dick in the man-bun.

*Would just "Zar1" work as well? I think that I've been contemplating cutesy alt-nicknames too much since coming up with "Zardashian."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

So the Frat Guy and his girlfriend were swingers? 

Not swingers. I really think I'd have remembered that. No, we had Nate going to the woods with Zar1 for some fun in the rough (he made dinner and also brought doughnuts), but the other couple kept wrecking the vibe. Oh, and the guy had gotten a vasectomy without telling the girl.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Oh, and the guy had gotten a vasectomy without telling the girl.

So that's why she got mad at him. Good to know.

I'll rewatch tomorrow when it's available to stream but I definitely did not interpret things accurately. Which is both a shame and a testament to the importance of sound mixing.

Got to say that this episode reminded me of that movie Dude Where's my Car? with Ashton Kutcher particularly this scene: 

Dude Where's my Car? Transfunctioner

I guess because of the whole comedy, bully alien aspect and the arcade/bowling alley plot 😃

LOL Mick and his horrible bowling skills but it all made sense when he revealed why he was wearing the gloves. The pregnancy is really taking a toll on him and his body 😢. Still he seems to love his alien babies.

TBH I haven't shipped Nate with anyone and I still don't. I don't know but it's something about him with the girls that makes him less appealing? I really don't know. But, I will say that this episode made me care about Zari and Nate. I was shipping Zari 2.0 with John but we'll know how that will end up 😢😢😢😢😢. Especially with the Bowling alley Alien saying those powers will get him killed.  All because DC can't have him on shows and movies at the same time SMH. But, apparently they can have The Flash on both okkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Anyway I'm worries what's gonna happen to Constantine. Back to Nate and Zari still not shipping them but at least they touched my heart.

Awwwwww Sara and Ava are the cutest hopefully they do manage to get married this season. Got to say that the second wedding dress she wore was my favorite. Too bad that won't be it. 

Jess did a great job directing this episode. 

Glad the DC shows are back cuz I missed them. 

• Love 1

Legends are back and diving right into it!  And by it, I mean finding themselves in a cosmic bowling ally where they have to play for the fate of the human race and Earth itself, because if they lose, Earth will be trapped as a bowling ball for all of eternity.  Yep, that's just an average day for the Legends of Tomorrow!

Nic Bishop shows up for the third time this season: this time as an alien cosplaying as a arrogant, douchebag bowler straight out of a sports comedy set in the 50s.  With this show, I honestly don't know if there is going to be a reason for having him show up as various characters throughout the season or will it just be another case of the show doing its normal wacky thing.

Hey, Buddy was played by Alvin Sanders a.k.a. Pop from Riverdale!  Cue obvious "Running a bowling ally/bar where aliens bowl for the fate of planets still isn't as insane as some of the shit Pop witness on Riverdale!" remark here.  Always good to see him.

Meanwhile Nate and Zari are off on a camping trip when all of this goes down, but still are able to help when they can.  Still not wild about them as a couple, but I was able to stomach it more this go around.  Helps that Tala Ashe and Nick Zano seem to have a better rhythm this time.  But the best parts where Zari/Ashe's face whenever they had to deal with that annoying couple.  Rock on!

Speaking of faces, Olivia Swan had some great reactions during all of Astrid's scenes.  Always get a kick out of it when Astrid is so over whatever is currently happening.

Another nice scene between Mick and Spooner.

Ava and Gary trying on wedding dresses was... one way to fill up time, I guess.  At least Jes Macallan did some good work behind the camera.

Yeah, Constantine is heading down a dark path that he might not be able to get back from.

• Love 1

Isn't Zari 1.0 the primary one who's out and about now, and Zari 2.0 the one who lives in the totem? That's what I remember but it has been so long. If so, the notion of "there's only 24 hours out with Zari 1.0 and long distance relationship stuff" doesn't make sense to me.  Also, is Constantine in the know that his girlfriend in Zari 2.0 is making that switch, and is he OK with that? 

I don't know if the writer have thought through the message that they are giving about Ava as co-captain in having Gary and co. go to such extreme lengths to hide from her that Earth was literally missing and the Waverider was stuck in the Temporal Zone. Would Sara or Rip or pretty much anyone need to be kept in the dark and distracted? Would they have been as non-essential as to the solution?

I was sort of disappointed that the Pin Killers just got to walk out of the alley without having to pay for apparently killing several worlds, without having to face the same stakes that the Legends did, or even having to make good on giving the Legends a ride back to Earth as the original promise was. They should be imprisoned in a trophy case at least as the poor Redshirts were. (Maybe I'm overly sympathetic because of my screen name, LOL). Pretty much nothing stops them from coming back as soon as the Legends leave and bullying people once more. 

3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I don't know if the writer have thought through the message that they are giving about Ava as co-captain in having Gary and co. go to such extreme lengths to hide from her that Earth was literally missing and the Waverider was stuck in the Temporal Zone. Would Sara or Rip or pretty much anyone need to be kept in the dark and distracted? Would they have been as non-essential as to the solution?

I'd say they're sending the message that a show which transforms Earth into a bowling ball is going to have their characters treat a bride like she's one stress away from going full Bridezilla and behave accordingly, regardless of how competent (or not) she usually is.

And hey, who knew that League of Assassins training translates into bowling?  If she ever retires from the superhero business Sara should pick an appropriate sport and lean into it.  Beats going into retail like she did on her last break.

Aliens take Earth, make it a bowling ball, and to make sure Earth survives and goes back to normal, the Legends have to win a game against said aliens?

On a scale of 1 - 10 on the Legends strangeness scale, that's maybe a 6.  This show is freaking bonkers.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I would say it's in character for her. Ava likes to plan everything out and get upset when the unexpected happens. To be fair she's better at handling curve balls than she was when she first showed up but only a little. It's why she's a poor choice to be captain but she's with Sara so she gets to be captain. In this episode she was non-essential because Jes was directing and couldn't be part of the main action which only enhanced the main problem. They should have had her on Earth in a bridal shop instead and join everyone for bowling at the end while learning what was going on. Then she can't be in the know or part of the main action like Zari and Nate rather than kept from it.

• Love 1

You could've eliminated Ava and Gary from this episode completely and nothing would've changed for the A plot (cosmic bowling league), B plot (Nate/Zari camping trip) or C plot (Constantine's blood drug addiction), which ended up connecting to each other...

Good Stuff

• JM is a good director.
  • The cosmic bowling league story was pretty original, I thought, although I saw shades of Men In Black in certain scenes (opening the exit door to nothing, miniaturized Earth as plaything for some big alien). This entire bowling story was fun and well-done.
  • Lots of Sara (for once), with Sara being the leader again.
  • Spooner wasn't as annoying as she has been in previous episodes. Her helping Mick was touching.
  • Nate and Zari 1.0 had a long-needed talk about their "long distance" relationship. Although I never shipped them, I actually found myself rooting for them to make it work - so, good job.

Bad Stuff

• How many times have we seen this trying on dresses scene on TV and in movies? Too many. When the characters are likeable and it's done well, I don't mind. I suspect that this scene was added to make Ava more likeable and endearing, but it didn't work for me. Ava and Gary are the two most annoying characters on Legends (imo).
  • The episode ended with loose ends, such as what happened to all the other planets (and their inhabitants) sitting on that shelf in the cosmic bowling alley? Were they also set free, like Earth was set free? Or are they stuck there forever? Also, why were the Pin Killers allowed to go free?
  • From media interviews, we know that JM cast her real life fiancé, Nic Bishop, as Mike the Strike. He did the job, but I'm never a fan of nepotism.

Ugly Stuff

• Constantine continues to head down a dark path. There was foreshadowing that he might die (Buddy, the owner of Galaxy Lanes, muttered that Constantine's new powers would be the death of him). If that were to happen, I doubt his death would be permanent. He'd just probably end up in Hell until it's time to retrieve him for JJ Abrams' Constantine reboot for HBO Max (with a different actor).
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

It felt like a filler episode to me. But I did like that Sara finally got to go on a mission with the team, on her own without Ava. It was really nice to see her talk to the newest and oldest members of her team, and Buddy. Once again, we got to see what a competent Captain Sara was. I liked her being inspired by Buddy (reminded me of her getting advice from Ulysses Grant back in S2), and her rousing speech.

I LOL'd at Spooner's "dance" before she bowled. Why didn't Sara bowl against the Pin Killers? It seemed like she took more of a coaching role instead, though she seemed pretty good at bowling despite never having done it before.

There really should be a scene where Sara and Spooner talk about their abduction experience.

I don't like that once the writers put a character in a relationship, that's all they are now. Sara/Ava, Zari/Nate. The romantic relationships are the weakest parts of the show for me.

I felt there was more of Ava in Jes' first directorial episode, when Sara was barely in Caity's first episode. But whatever. At least Sara got to spend most of her time away from Ava.

Seems like that's the last of the aliens.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

• From media interviews, we know that JM cast her real life fiancé, Nic Bishop, as Mike the Strike. He did the job, but I'm never a fan of nepotism.

This was the case for a number of the actor's significant others, it's how they handled the covid restrictions. If you had an actor on-set who has an actor SO, might as well include the SO since it limits the outside contact. IIRC, the guy playing Bishop is with Zari in real life, and Mick's real life GF was in the western ep. 

As an aside: Right up until the earth is a bowling ball reveal, I really thought the obnoxious couple and the bag swap were tricks that Constantine played on Nate and Zari 1.0 to get them to break  up and bring "his" Zari back. 

• Useful 2
56 minutes ago, questionfear said:

As an aside: Right up until the earth is a bowling ball reveal, I really thought the obnoxious couple and the bag swap were tricks that Constantine played on Nate and Zari 1.0 to get them to break  up and bring "his" Zari back. 

That would have been cool and fitting his junkie story.

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

The episode ended with loose ends, such as what happened to all the other planets (and their inhabitants) sitting on that shelf in the cosmic bowling alley? Were they also set free, like Earth was set free? Or are they stuck there forever? Also, why were the Pin Killers allowed to go free?

I wondered about that too.  I wish they had shown them setting the other planets free.  They seemed self-centered by not doing it.

I suspect that characters never ask about rules of games that they have never played because writers hate following rules. Granted, they have established Spooner as a, "shoot first (literally) and avoid the need for questioning" kind of character.

Did we even get a cameo of Guss? Did they resolve that and I just missed it?

And yes, the lack of comeuppance for the Pin Killers was very annoying.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, appositival said:

Did we even get a cameo of Guss? Did they resolve that and I just missed it?

Gus was another loose end. When and where did they release him to? It seemed like he could cause some trouble wherever he is.

I thought this episode was fun, even if I prefer the historical-based episodes.  The lead Pin Killer's look reminded me of Val Kilmer in his Iceman persona.  I didn't care for the camping subplot, it didn't add much to the story and I can't figure out what that dude bro and his girlfriend added to the storyline.  The Gary/Ava parts were just stupid.  Trying on wedding dresses that got increasingly awful, and Gary wears a dress too?  OK.

On 8/9/2021 at 2:22 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Isn't Zari 1.0 the primary one who's out and about now, and Zari 2.0 the one who lives in the totem? That's what I remember but it has been so long. If so, the notion of "there's only 24 hours out with Zari 1.0 and long distance relationship stuff" doesn't make sense to me.  Also, is Constantine in the know that his girlfriend in Zari 2.0 is making that switch, and is he OK with that? 

I was sort of disappointed that the Pin Killers just got to walk out of the alley without having to pay for apparently killing several worlds, without having to face the same stakes that the Legends did, or even having to make good on giving the Legends a ride back to Earth as the original promise was. They should be imprisoned in a trophy case at least as the poor Redshirts were. (Maybe I'm overly sympathetic because of my screen name, LOL). Pretty much nothing stops them from coming back as soon as the Legends leave and bullying people once more. 

Zari 1.0 (original, flannel plaid shirts, Tomaz, Nate) is the one that lives in the totem.  She went to live in the totem because it was the only way that Behrad could exist.  Zari 2.0 (new, vapid socialite, megastar internet personality, Tarazi, Constantine) is the one that has been out and about regularly.  I suppose they just figured out that they could switch off, but I don't remember this 24 hours thing being a thing.  What happens after 24 hours?  Automatic switchback, or someone gets stuck, or what?

I agree that the Pin Killers should have been imprisoned in their bowling ball and on a shelf, and the owner of the bowling alley would be able to decide their fate.  I do wish we could have seen the team setting all those other worlds free.  Instead of just Sara setting Earth free, we should have had a scene of each of them bowling a planet back into its proper place in space.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Zari 1.0 (original, flannel plaid shirts, Tomaz, Nate) is the one that lives in the totem.  She went to live in the totem because it was the only way that Behrad could exist.  Zari 2.0 (new, vapid socialite, megastar internet personality, Tarazi, Constantine) is the one that has been out and about regularly.  I suppose they just figured out that they could switch off, but I don't remember this 24 hours thing being a thing.  What happens after 24 hours?  Automatic switchback, or someone gets stuck, or what?

What I thought was the case was that Zari 2.0 agreed to live in the totem indefinitely to let Zari 1.0 exist in the real world indefinitely. Even if it is the case that it is just that Zari 2.0 agreed to allow Zari 1.0 to have 24-hour real world stints from time to time, that doesn't seem like a "long-distance relationship." Any time Nate wants, he can go to Totemsville, and there does not seem to be an obstacle to Zari 1.0 coming to the real world. 

22 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

What I thought was the case was that Zari 2.0 agreed to live in the totem indefinitely to let Zari 1.0 exist in the real world indefinitely. Even if it is the case that it is just that Zari 2.0 agreed to allow Zari 1.0 to have 24-hour real world stints from time to time, that doesn't seem like a "long-distance relationship." Any time Nate wants, he can go to Totemsville, and there does not seem to be an obstacle to Zari 1.0 coming to the real world. 

Ah I see what you mean now.  I think 2.0 is the one that is normally in the real world, and they switch temporarily so 1.0 can come out.  I agree with you that it's not really a "long distance relationship"... they can switch whenever they want and Nate can go into the totem whenever he wants.  For that matter, when the people on this show have a teleporter and can basically go whenever in time and wherever they want, there really shouldn't be such a thing as a "long distance relationship" for anyone on the team.  The logistics that most people would have with distance don't come into play here.

Which makes me wonder why if Amaya was the love of Nate's life, why he never went to see her.  She wanted to stay in her homeland/time to protect her people.  He still could have visited, he's on a timeship!  I get that Amaya's departure was likely dictated by her costly special effects, and then Charlie's departure was dictated by the actress wanting to quit, but I don't see why Nate never visited her.

15 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Which makes me wonder why if Amaya was the love of Nate's life, why he never went to see her.  She wanted to stay in her homeland/time to protect her people.  He still could have visited, he's on a timeship!  I get that Amaya's departure was likely dictated by her costly special effects, and then Charlie's departure was dictated by the actress wanting to quit, but I don't see why Nate never visited her.

Well, in that case, it wasn’t just about protecting her people; it was also about ensuring a timeline where her granddaughters still existed.  And In order for that to happen, Amaya needed to move on from Nate and find whoever was the girls’ grandfather.   It would be harder for her to move on with her ex dropping in for a visit every so often.  

• Love 2

I think the 24 hours thing is about protecting Behrad. When OG Zari was out of the totem for too long last season her timeline started to conflict with new one and Behrad started experiencing what happened before the change. If she hadn’t gone back in he’d have died due to the timeline conflict. The 24 hours thing is probably the amount of time left before she has to swap with 2.0 and keep the two timelines from conflicting again.

I’m not certain Nate can go into the totem since he isn’t it’s master like Behrad and the Zaris so that’s why they’re looking at it as a long distance relationship. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Well, in that case, it wasn’t just about protecting her people; it was also about ensuring a timeline where her granddaughters still existed.  And In order for that to happen, Amaya needed to move on from Nate and find whoever was the girls’ grandfather.   It would be harder for her to move on with her ex dropping in for a visit every so often.  

Ah right, I had forgotten about that, thank you.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think the 24 hours thing is about protecting Behrad. When OG Zari was out of the totem for too long last season her timeline started to conflict with new one and Behrad started experiencing what happened before the change. If she hadn’t gone back in he’d have died due to the timeline conflict. The 24 hours thing is probably the amount of time left before she has to swap with 2.0 and keep the two timelines from conflicting again.

I’m not certain Nate can go into the totem since he isn’t it’s master like Behrad and the Zaris so that’s why they’re looking at it as a long distance relationship. 

Didn't Nate just go into the totem an episode or two ago?  The one with the alien Alf thing on Behrad's favourite TV show.  I thought he went inside and talked with Zari 1.0 and after he got out and talked with 2.0, that's when 2.0 offered to switch places with 1.0 so 1.0 could be with Behrad on his birthday.  Or am I imagining that?  And yes, as you mentioned it, I remembered that if 1.0 is out of the totem for too long, it messes with the timeline.

In retrospect, they might have been better off having the two Zaris merge somehow…..instead of having Zari 1.0 stay a separate entity, just have Zari 2.0 pick up the memories from the first timeline.  It would have made for a weird Nate/Zari/Constantine triangle, but otherwise, it might have been an interesting storyarc to see Zari try to reconcile the two sets of memories/personality quirks.  And I’ve no doubt Tala could have done an amazing job with something like that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Didn't Nate just go into the totem an episode or two ago?  The one with the alien Alf thing on Behrad's favourite TV show.  I thought he went inside and talked with Zari 1.0 and after he got out and talked with 2.0, that's when 2.0 offered to switch places with 1.0 so 1.0 could be with Behrad on his birthday.

I’ll have to rewatch cause I don’t remember. I’m not the most attentive with Nate.

On 8/10/2021 at 10:59 AM, blackwing said:

Didn't Nate just go into the totem an episode or two ago?  The one with the alien Alf thing on Behrad's favourite TV show.  I thought he went inside and talked with Zari 1.0 and after he got out and talked with 2.0, that's when 2.0 offered to switch places with 1.0 so 1.0 could be with Behrad on his birthday.  Or am I imagining that?  And yes, as you mentioned it, I remembered that if 1.0 is out of the totem for too long, it messes with the timeline.

Nate can go into the totem but they've been squirrelly about the rules and it appears to somehow affect whether behrad/zari 2.0 have access to their totems (if I'm recalling correctly) so its probably not a hop in/hop out anytime visit. 

I started catching up with Legends of Tomorrow.  I was reminded why I love this show so much.  I used to work at a bowling alley in college so I always enjoy when a TV show has an episode set there.  But a bowling alley in space, with Earth as a bowling ball?  That is bonkers, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-level crazy and this episode was a tremendous amount of fun.  I was glad to see all hands on deck for this episode, with all four storylines coming together.  Normally, a premise with Earth being at stake would be the next Arrowverse crossover but for Legends, it's just another day in the park.  I guess having all hands on deck was there nod to how big this was. 

I liked the Constantine and Behrad team-up.  Always great to see Sara leading HER team and Mike the Strike was a fun villain (kind of strange those guys didn't get their comuppence at the end).  I would have thought Mick would have been a good bowler, someone who did it a lot at one point.