Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: A Boy Is a Gun

jewel21
  • Start Topic

After an unarmed Black man is shot by police, the crew reacts in different ways to the news. Kiela and Doug butt heads when she wants to use his party to raise awareness.

Airdate: 08/05/2021

The episode was deeply moving, so I feel churlish nit-picking a minor plot point, but Ana needs serious help. The nerve of Javi to ask someone else's opinion on a gift, instead of magically knowing the right one for her? 

Asking a friend for advice isn't a sign of poor character, it's a sign of being a normal person. Hell, my friend asked me advice about a gift for their partner yesterday, because they needed some feedback. 

Javi researched, because he wanted to make Ana happy and Ana always has to find a source of drama and gods help him if he had gotten a bad gift. She needs to chill and be grateful, I'd have walked out long ago given how she acts. 

----

The numbness to activism is really something I have been feeling in my own community. Very well done. 

• Love 9

I was dreading this episode so much, because I just didn't think the show would do a good job. Grateful to be wrong. I don't even want to nitpick it.

I agree about Ana. I think she's angling for a hook up with Vivek, but I don't think he's interested. They do seem to be leaning into his possible bisexuality, which I hope they explore more thoroughly than they've done with him being cut off by his father. How is he even paying tuition without family support or a job now, nevermind the rent?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

The episode was deeply moving, so I feel churlish nit-picking a minor plot point, but Ana needs serious help. The nerve of Javi to ask someone else's opinion on a gift, instead of magically knowing the right one for her? 

Asking a friend for advice isn't a sign of poor character, it's a sign of being a normal person. Hell, my friend asked me advice about a gift for their partner yesterday, because they needed some feedback. 

Javi researched, because he wanted to make Ana happy and Ana always has to find a source of drama and gods help him if he had gotten a bad gift. She needs to chill and be grateful, I'd have walked out long ago given how she acts. 

----

The numbness to activism is really something I have been feeling in my own community. Very well done. 

Yes, that was the most ridiculously spoiled reaction I've seen to a great gift since my own college days. (I had the world's most obnoxious roommate, who got front row seats to her favorite band's show from her boyfriend and then iced him out the whole ride home and for days afterward because the band didn't play her favorite song at that particular show. It was unreal.)

They briefly got me with the dual montages in the beginning, I thought for a second that they were going to kill Doug.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

The seriousness of the main plot magnified how lame the Ana-Javi story is. Yes, I know it's fiction, but I can't imagine why Javi would stay with her. 

I didn't like Doug when he was first introduced, but he's currently my favorite character. I can skip woke little sister, but it's only her 2nd episode, so we'll see how she turns out. 

• Love 4

They did a good job with this episode, showing how this impacts black people as individuals and also as a whole.  I didn’t want to watch it because I’m more of a Doug (I’ll drive myself crazy if I keep thinking of it type of person), but I’m glad I did. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

They did a good job with this episode, showing how this impacts black people as individuals and also as a whole.  I didn’t want to watch it because I’m more of a Doug (I’ll drive myself crazy if I keep thinking of it type of person), but I’m glad I did. 

I definitely understood how Doug felt. How long do we have to keep marching, protesting, boycotting and signing petitions before we see noticeable change? Progress has been made but still…

The montage of names at the end…😪

• Love 4

One of my pet peeves on the show has been Sky & Jazz ragging on Zoe. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it feels like low-key jealousy. When Jazz started in on Zoe again tonight, I was immensely pleased when Zoe stopped her. 

Woke little sister (LOL and thank you @Superclam) is annoying me too. Did we need a new character? I hope she gets better because right now she's not gelling for me. 

Ana's watch was a stupid plotline but might have been the levity needed to relieve some of the pressure of the episode. 

I'm glad they tackled this subject from Doug's perspective because it can be extremely hard living in trauma all of the time. I have Doug moments and know people like him. It's important to not look away but also to understand how this effects us holistically. 

Edited by BluBarbi98
  • Love 3