Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

New Year’s Eve 1989. It’s Mo’s "wedding day," but priority number one is to make sure he and his crew live to see another decade. He and Dawn, Blair, Keith and Yassir work together to do whatever it takes to make sure that happens. Season finale.

It's the end of the season.  Will our hapless crew survive?  Will Mo's elaborate plan to draw out the killer succeed? Will Dawn look fabulous?  The answer to the last question is yes because she always does. 

Original air date 2021.08.01

• Love 1

PMS Dawn. The groom with the broom in his pants. Fake marriage requires a real commitment!

Wait, so Mo wasn't under the influence of truth serum when he said his fake vows? Wow, those vows were impressive.

Corky? I would not have pegged (hush, Dawn) the church girl for a serial killer but she certainly had the skills for it.

Huh, I thought they had already moved into the 90s. Whatever, December 31, 1989 was a Sunday so New Year's Day was indeed a Monday. Cool choice of ending song as they all rode away in the amboolance.

Great series. Am looking forward to whatever Don Cheadle gives us next. (I assumed this was the the show finale but some people on reddit think there could be a fourth season of Black Monday. They think an opening was left in something Lenny said before he was shot in the head.) Ideally there'd be two more seasons of this show so they could present the 2008 crash when Lehman Brothers went bankrupt and almost took the US down with it. We'll see, I guess.

I don't really know where they'd go from here unless they did a huge time jump.

I didn't guess it would be Corkie, but it makes sense that she was messing up. We all knew it wasn't Lenny. And we knew Tiff wasn't dead! 

Outside of the main plot, Dawn flipping out about the 'shrimps' and getting nuts for doing butt stuff with Mo was killing me. She put her fist in his face! Cheadle's reaction shot was perfect. 

• Love 2

I don't really know where they'd go from here unless they did a huge time jump.

The 90s were pretty much a boom time for the US economy. They could work that with Mo and them all going wilder than they'd ever been financially. A number of interesting things happened socially and politically during that decade too. Notably, Y2K was an over-anticipated bust for the people who had expected the worst when 1999 rolled over to 2000.

I think where the show should want to get is to the 2000s so Mo and the gang can experience the downfall of Lehman (or Leighman, I guess) Brothers. That was arguably much more destructive than the 1987 Black Monday. The gang could go through 9/11, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the growth of for-profit prison systems, and the subprime mortgage crisis.

Mo can't trade legally anymore. Dawn can, so she'd have to have a company. Not that it's a big deal, but I don't think hiding Mo from the feds is anything new. I think you're retreading ground at that point though. I guess you could get into the dot com bubble, but again, you want something new. 

Cable is just becoming a thing. They could run a new network. 

I totally forgot Tiff's recount of her murder being a huge Culture Club pun. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

PMS Dawn. The groom with the broom in his pants. Fake marriage requires a real commitment!

Huh, I thought they had already moved into the 90s. Whatever, December 31, 1989 was a Sunday so New Year's Day was indeed a Monday. Cool choice of ending song as they all rode away in the amboolance.

I too loved the closing song and felt compelled to look up a 1989 calendar to confirm, and yup, 1/1/90 was indeed a Monday! Attention to detail - mwah. *chef kiss*

I just read "PMS Dawn" as "PM Dawn" and now have to listen to that Memory Bliss song. Whoa, flashback! (And now fingers are tightly crossed for another season just for the early 90s music.)

Don Cheadle and Andrew Rannells are an unexpectedly frickin' hilarious duo (right up there with Steve Buscemi and Danielle Radcliffe). Plan Boyz! *back-to-back pose* Though Dawn and Mo made me laugh the hardest with their balking at the simultaneous ILYs. The chemistry feels so natural and effortless.

I feel like not enough people watch this show - it deserves awards, or at the very least lots of nominations. I get goosebumpy at the retro pre-ep "aaaaahhh... it's Showtime tonight!" intro and am never let down by this show.

• Love 3

To be fair, the show doesn't really pop unless it's the whole cast together, and they didn't really have enough of that this season. If they're going to continue, they all need to be in on whatever the next venture is. Actually, I said cable before, but cable news might be better. I was thinking running something like a Compaq like isp, but it seems to narrow for this show. 

The whole gang riding off in an ambulance after Mo and Dawn finally declare their unironic love for each other while Monday Monday played on an actual Monday was a surprisingly heartwarming note for this show to end on, if this is the end of the show its a very fitting end. I do not know where the show would actually go, its so tied to the 80s in its aesthetics and plot, and while I will miss this little gem of a show, I am happy with this as the conclusion. 

Dawn was so happy that the killer was a woman! I knew that it wouldn't be Lennie, but I didn't see it being Corky coming, although it totally makes sense. 

"So you want revenge." "I feel like I've been pretty clear on that."

• Love 5

They could turn it into a type of anthology series.  Same cast, same characters.  Different eras to parody, different backstories.  (As Blair -- or was it Mo? -- said, they wish they had gotten along better earlier on.)  That way their ages wouldn't be an issue.

But honestly, as much as I'd love more, that seemed like the perfect wrap-up to the series.