Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: She's A Snake In The Grass

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

I was just poking around and found that he was an ROV pilot - remotely operated vehicle. They do underwater exploration for things like search and salvage and the oil and gas industries, etc. Salaries start at $90-$100. It looks like he did that for 4 years, and now he is an ROV supervisor, so he's probably making a pretty good salary.

I was thinking now that Jovie has a family, he should consider looking for another job where he would be at home more. But with a big salary like that, he's not going to want to give up that paycheck. The trade-off is he'll miss a lot of milestones with his daughter and possibly (probably) more kids.  Yara will be raising the kids on her own half the year or so. Is the money worth it to them?

Why don't they have a house? They should easily be able to afford a home in LA with that kind of money rolling in.

The money he's making is a positive, but being gone, drinking and loving strip joints is a problem that isn't going to go away.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Breedom said:

The money he's making is a positive, but being gone, drinking and loving strip joints is a problem that isn't going to go away.

If my first husband had a job where he was gone a lot and made that salary there is a slim chance we could still be married.  Naaah......who am I kidding?  But he rarely drank and never was a strip club kinda guy.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Breedom said:

I was thinking now that Jovie has a family, he should consider looking for another job where he would be at home more. But with a big salary like that, he's not going to want to give up that paycheck. The trade-off is he'll miss a lot of milestones with his daughter and possibly (probably) more kids.  Yara will be raising the kids on her own half the year or so. Is the money worth it to them?

Why don't they have a house? They should easily be able to afford a home in LA with that kind of money rolling in.

Yeah I don’t think there are a lot of high paying jobs for him in Louisiana if his skills are not transferable to a job on land.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree.  I had WLS and I truly don't remember sizes (I had WLS on 1/10/06) and I am five eight and weighed a bit more than three bills going into surgery.  Plus Angela was an apple shape so yeah, her number was bigger. 

Hi Mrs. H.  I've always thought that Angela had an "inverted triangle" shape - large breasts and straight up & down legs.  (Is that what is called an "apple" shape?')  It's more evident since her WLS/breast reduction...now you can see her smallish hips and straight legs.  Maybe that's why she got into those smaller-sized jeans.  ??

(That store they shopped in??  I think I'd be hard-pressed to find my "new wardrobe" there. Not a whole lot of funky, fun or elegant selections...  But, then again, someone with an eye for style could no doubt come up with some nice ways to 'refresh' her wardrobe.)

• Love 1
23 hours ago, lu1535 said:

On another subject, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Asuelu and Kalani living in mom and dad's house but looking for their own? Did they move out and I missed it? Why didn't anyone correct Tammy saying this wasn't their house?

I watched again tonight and actually Asuelu DID correct her. Tammy said, "How much this house cost?" and he responded, "I don't know, I don't buy it." 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Breedom said:

Jovi lives in the moment. I see him liking apartment living because it’s easy. When he goes to work or travels, he locks he door behind him and doesn’t have anything to worry about. No maintenance. You can pick up and move pretty easily and possibly on fairly short notice. That’s how Jovi rolls.

As for the house, even with a good salary, and even pre-COVID, it’s not easy. You need a down payment and closing costs. Although Jovi makes (probably) a good salary, he strikes me as incautious with his money. Given his “work hard, play harder” lifestyle, I’m betting he spends a lot on vacations, bars, strip clubs and… well, that’s probably it. And if he was living in a fairly upscale apartment in New Orleans pre-Yara (which it seems he was, but I think he moved into the place we saw days before Yara arrived) that could be a pretty sizable rent.

Mostly I think Jovi just doesn’t want to be tied down. Which would be fine if he didn’t have a wife and baby. I think now that the baby is here, he thinks they can just leave her with his mother when he wants his fun, sexy, Instagram wife for fun and games. I definitely don’t see him being ready for the life he has.

• Love 3
On 8/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, Xebug67 said:
On 8/3/2021 at 7:48 PM, Teri313 said:

Ebird Online did some sleuthing and determined that his company's shifts for managers are 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. So it make sense to me that he gets home at ~5:00 p.m. 

There's no job on earth that would make me want to commute 2+ hours each way.  For some reason I recall either having heard him say something like that on the show, or a fellow poster mentioned it on here. 

But didn't he tell US when their story first started that he got home around 7:30?  Can't some of his coworkers or "underlings" come here and let us know what kind of an employee he is?

On 8/3/2021 at 12:12 PM, Jeanne222 said:
On 8/3/2021 at 9:05 AM, bichonblitz said:

If I had a husband that was very involved with my baby in other ways and was a great dad, I would not care much if he didn't want to change shitty diapers. Does he help with the day to day?  Give her baths, play with her, feed her, put her to bed at night so mommy could get some rest? These are things that would matter to me more.  

I don’t think anything other than total care would satisfy Tiffany. Even then she would complain about how he was doing it!

Ahhhhh...but what DOES Ronald do in the way of helping...like the things BichonBlitz listed above?  He might pick up the baby occasionally, but I don't see Ronald being helpful in any way.  He's a leech and he'll always be a leech.  Well...a leech and a LORD whose every word and whim must be obeyed.  He is "The Man of the House," after all.  He has explained it to all of us, so there should be no doubt.

• LOL 1

What happens to these "dry heave" fathers if something permanent happens to the usual caretaker?  What if they MUST become the sole parent?  Will they dry heave for the next three years--or just never change another dirty diaper?  

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

But didn't he tell US when their story first started that he got home around 7:30? 

I suspect that when he was single he stopped off on the way home at his favorite watering hole. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, magemaud said:
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

But didn't he tell US when their story first started that he got home around 7:30? 

I suspect that when he was single he stopped off on the way home at his favorite watering hole

This when we were first watching Natalie wait for him to arrive ... late.

6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

What happens to these "dry heave" fathers if something permanent happens to the usual caretaker?  What if they MUST become the sole parent?  Will they dry heave for the next three years--or just never change another dirty diaper?  

My husband was a single father to a daughter for many years. He was never a dry heave dad but he is the reason I take exception to any parent's rationale for not being able to care for his/her own child. 

Not to mention... even if all that happens is the parents split up, what are the dry heave parents going to do when they have their kids for visitation - leave them in poopy diapers for the weekend until they go back to the non-heaver? Not that this is going to be an issue for Ronald. I don't think he's ever going to get to the US and Tiffany isn't staying in SA just for him...

• Love 3

Asuelu's horrible sister: It's not polite to ask Mom what she does with the money you send her.

Me: But it is polite to make demands of Asuelu about HIS OWN MONEY?

The "Michael at the fertility clinic" scene was secondhand cringe. I'm still not recovered from it. Angela's cackling, her "jokes" about whether there'd be a woman in the room with him (WTF?), the doctor's obvious embarrassment, and then...the SCENE in the semen room with them talking, thank god I watched it before eating...

If anyone needs me, I'll be bleaching my mind's eye.

• LOL 4
On 8/5/2021 at 11:58 AM, Xebug67 said:

There's no job on earth that would make me want to commute 2+ hours each way.  

On 8/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I can’t imagine traveling 4-5 hours a day for work!

Hes not living in some fabulous home he can’t leave. Sell the dump and buy closer to your job!

Besides the travel hours can you imagine wear and tear on the car!

This so much reminds me of my youngest brother. When Mom passed, he wanted to take over her paid-for house located on the Pacific coast in Garabaldi, OR, while he worked in Portland. He swore that the 2+ hour drive each way would be no problem. My other brother and I, both of whom did not live in Oregon, vetoed this arrangement because it absolutely was not doable. I'm not an expert, but it's been my experience that once you're off Interstate 5, every damn road is curvy in Oregon and Washington. We knew he'd renege very soon with a "good" excuse and be forever unemployed, hoping his two siblings would simply forget about him and the valuable property. 

I believe Mike said he's living on family (his dad's?) land, maybe because it's paid for and he plans to retire there. In the meantime he's exhausted with an impossible commute, and knows he's coming home to a crazy woman who needs to be entertained and needs to bitch and moan about beer and steak. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rt66vintage said:

This so much reminds me of my youngest brother. When Mom passed, he wanted to take over her paid-for house located on the Pacific coast in Garabaldi, OR, while he worked in Portland. He swore that the 2+ hour drive each way would be no problem. My other brother and I, both of whom did not live in Oregon, vetoed this arrangement because it absolutely was not doable. I'm not an expert, but it's been my experience that once you're off Interstate 5, every damn road is curvy in Oregon and Washington. We knew he'd renege very soon with a "good" excuse and be forever unemployed, hoping his two siblings would simply forget about him and the valuable property. 

I believe Mike said he's living on family (his dad's?) land, maybe because it's paid for and he plans to retire there. In the meantime he's exhausted with an impossible commute, and knows he's coming home to a crazy woman who needs to be entertained and needs to bitch and moan about beer and steak. 

If I remember correctly, the property was in his family and was sold, and then he bought it back. Or he bought it from his family? I'm not positive, but that's the reason he was in debt in his first season. And it is a crazy commute. We moved from Boston to Maine and my husband did a 2.5-hour commute each way, 5 days a week, for a year and it was insane. A 5-hour round-trip commute on top of an 8-9 hour work day. It's not healthy. You and your other brother made the right decision not to support it.

• Love 4
On 8/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, Back Atcha said:

Or they'll heroically change diapers and get a feel good story on the news--"Hero dad learns to change diapers!". 

• LOL 3
25 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Like the dads who get bumped to first class on planes when flying solo with a toddler. 

Exactly. My god shit like that frosts my ass. No one has a single fuck to give about a woman who changes diapers or learns to braid her daughter's hair or travels with a small child. If a man does it its all smiles and hugs and hair pats. He's a parent too! Why is is cause for celebration when he does the bare minimum? 

• Love 9
On 8/5/2021 at 1:31 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I can’t imagine traveling 4-5 hours a day for work!

Hes not living in some fabulous home he can’t leave. Sell the dump and buy closer to your job!

Besides the travel hours can you imagine wear and tear on the car!

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but wasn't it more about him wanting to keep the property in the family (speaking of, who in the family did it previously belong to that it now passed down to/came to him?), than about the actual crappy house?  I wonder how many acres that property consists of, and if it generates any income for him.

Not to mention the prolonged amount of time spent in the car on icy snowy roads in winter.  Significantly increased risk of auto accidents.

Edited by Xebug67
Sorry, didn't see that my question had already been asked and answered!
  • Love 3
On 8/11/2021 at 7:15 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Exactly. My god shit like that frosts my ass. No one has a single fuck to give about a woman who changes diapers or learns to braid her daughter's hair or travels with a small child. If a man does it its all smiles and hugs and hair pats. He's a parent too! Why is is cause for celebration when he does the bare minimum? 

Okay, not to get off topic, but my mom was like this:  I took care of two boys, less than two years apart all day.  Loved it so I am not complaining.  I would head off to work around 5, my exhusband would feed the kids and take a walk and take the dog.  My mom wanted to throw him a parade.  On the daily.  My work was never recognized as I was the mom.  By the way, I am totally stealing "frost my ass."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but wasn't it more about him wanting to keep the property in the family (speaking of, who in the family did it previously belong to that it now passed down to/came to him?), than about the actual crappy house?  I wonder how many acres that property consists of, and if it generates any income for him.

Not to mention the prolonged amount of time spent in the car on icy snowy roads in winter.  Significantly increased risk of auto accidents.

IIRC In their first season, Mike was billed as a Christmas Tree farmer. I believe they use the land for that purpose. In subsequent seasons, they moved away from that storyline and focused on Mike’s real job. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

I just went back and watched Mike's intro (Season 7, Ep 2). He says his family has been in Sequim for 130 years and when his dad decided to sell their 27-acre tree farm, he bought it to keep it in the family. I posted this over on Mike and Natalie's page with some other stuff from that episode if you're interested. 

• Useful 4
On 8/12/2021 at 8:06 PM, Teri313 said:

I just went back and watched Mike's intro (Season 7, Ep 2). He says his family has been in Sequim for 130 years and when his dad decided to sell their 27-acre tree farm, he bought it to keep it in the family. I posted this over on Mike and Natalie's page with some other stuff from that episode if you're interested. 

Thanks for the interesting info watchingtvaddict and Teri313.

• Love 2