Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Their First Rodeo

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Myrla strikes me as one of those women that uses sex as a weapon.  She will dangle the cherries then only allow them to be touched after she gets what she wants from a man.  Which in her case might include the right to spend her own money as she pleases and lavish gifts.

I have no problem with her spending on expensive things being she works hard, but what happens when she decides to stay home?  The money pressure is on him, and he might put the clampers on her for spending money he can’t provide. What happens when the kids come and kids cost money.  Why designer things?  Does she need Gucci for the supermarket?  I just loved when he mentioned her beautiful lips.  She said “what about my dress”.  So into herself.

Edited by kristen111
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 8/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, Lindz said:
On 8/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, humbleopinion said:

Anyone else think Jose’s step mother was channeling POSChris’ father when talking about wedding night sex?

Jose Senior, she’s what floats your boat? Ick.

I loved how Jose's Mom made it a point to let Rachel (and everyone else within earshot) know 'that's the stepmom....I'm the real mom'.  

It wasn't just the stepmom...it was ALL family and friends of ALL wedding parties that day that acted pervy and gross.  Every one of them wanted to know if the bride and groom would be having sex.  Mind your own damn business, people.  

You could actually see the air going out of Jose at Rachel's unintended gaffe...just like a balloon being punctured.  I like him.  I was certain he wasn't going to like her and he proves me wrong by being very thrilled at the pairing and so attentive and genuinely happy.  Yeah, he's super fastidious, but I think she can keep him in line with a swat on the head every now and then with a rolled up newspaper, LOL.

Speaking of Rachel, the experts should have crossed her name off as a possible candidate for MAFS right away.  She is NOT over her long term relationship that ended 6 months ago.  She may not love the guy any longer, but she's not over the pain of his cheating and the feeling that she was inadequate somehow.  And with the dramatic weight loss and all the talk about inner reflection and how she's now become such a strong and especially confident person...it's just that...all talk.     

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Bingo, you hit that nail right on the head!

I don't know what it is, but I'm a sucker for Pit Bull.  He's all kinds of not my type but somehow that doesn't even matter with him.  Now THAT's mojo!  

He’s all things my type.  I have second dibs on him.  He reminds me of my macho  husband.  Tall, dark, handsome, built and fresh. Lol.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

He’s all things my type.  I have second dibs on him.  He reminds me of my macho  husband.  Tall, dark, handsome, built and fresh. Lol.

LOL, I hear you.  I usually like them tall, light haired and blue eyed so Pit Bull is an exception for me.  But I have made exceptions before, so my type is not set in stone.

I just think that a woman like Rachel who has put so much effort into improving her self confidence (with an arguable degree of success) will see Jose's lack of it a real turn off.   She tries to hide her real feelings, but her facial expressions give her away every time. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

LOL, I hear you.  I usually like them tall, light haired and blue eyed so Pit Bull is an exception for me.  But I have made exceptions before, so my type is not set in stone.

I just think that a woman like Rachel who has put so much effort into improving her self confidence (with an arguable degree of success) will see Jose's lack of it a real turn off.   She tries to hide her real feelings, but her facial expressions give her away every time. 

We should consider ourselves very lucky. 😍

• Love 2

Ryan said on Unfiltered that he hardly ever hunts and his friends made a much bigger deal out of it than needed to be. You can't trust the reality of this show. 

On another note, Ryan had shorts on and his legs are amazing. 

Bao is my favorite. I love everything about her. Johnny seems like a little boy to me, still a bit immature and not sexy at all. I was very surprised Bao likes him so much.  

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I have no problem with her spending on expensive things being she works hard, but what happens when she decides to stay home?  The money pressure is on him, and he might put the clampers on her for spending money he can’t provide. What happens when the kids come and kids cost money.  Why designer things?  Does she need Gucci for the supermarket?  I just loved when he mentioned her beautiful lips.  She said “what about my dress”.  So into herself.

Yes for sure she is into herself.  I don't see her having children.  I know she said yes in the bio but I'm just not seeing it.  I forget how old she is but she must be close to decision time.  I looked..she's 35.

You can't produce and tote an egg forever.  Just ask Angela.  lol

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I give it a week.  

Jose needing everything perfect, right angles, spotless, things done his way, etc.

IMO, all of Jose's insecurities (starting with his nose and height) that he, himself ID'd sets him up to be a control freak!

Also, I know he has bragged about his Master's Degree (along with all his other self-congratulatory kudos).  Has Rachel's educational accomplishments ever been revealed? Does she have a 4 yr degree (at the most minimal)?  What type of work does she do?

My belief is that if her educational level and professional status is less than his, Jose will use that to set standards for her and critique her every opinion and/or belief.

In "short"😄(pardon the pun), I CRINGE every time I even THINK about the minefield of dysfunction I see Rachel trying to navigate! 

Very troubling, indeed, when someone with Jose's obvious abundance of "issues" is allowed to participate in this show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Johnny seems like a little boy to me, still a bit immature and not sexy at all. I was very surprised Bao likes him so much. 

Crowd on the Johnny Lam Bench *gasps* collectively and fumble some of our snacks and treats....😮

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Very troubling, indeed, when someone with Jose's obvious abundance of "issues" is allowed to participate in this show.

MAFS Houston Casting Call --Male: Single, low self-esteem, OCD (clinical or non), perceived physical flaw(s), divorced parents--so looking for perfect marriage, devoted homeowner, potential for overbearing behavior.  Match with single female who doesn't share these issues (unless she's recently overcome her low self-esteem) and is <1 year out of a hurtful relationship.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

IMO, all of Jose's insecurities (starting with his nose and height) that he, himself ID'd sets him up to be a control freak!

Also, I know he has bragged about his Master's Degree (along with all his other self-congratulatory kudos).  Has Rachel's educational accomplishments ever been revealed? Does she have a 4 yr degree (at the most minimal)?  What type of work does she do?

My belief is that if her educational level and professional status is less than his, Jose will use that to set standards for her and critique her every opinion and/or belief.

In "short"😄(pardon the pun), I CRINGE every time I even THINK about the minefield of dysfunction I see Rachel trying to navigate! 

Well, she seems like a nice girl, so he better keep his mouth shut and go with the flow or else he will wind up a lonely man.  He is not all that no matter how many degrees and houses he has.

• Love 3
On 8/4/2021 at 5:15 PM, Retired at last said:

I haven't seen it yet, but she HAS to be classier than Amber, the high school teacher, was when she kept whining about how she needed sex all the time. I was embarrassed for her high school.

Wasn't she the child psychologist? Or maybe I'm getting confused. I just remember that one girl who was so rude and so annoying the entire marriage and I felt sorry for the guy she was paired with. She was the girl that kept saying she wasn't sure if she was over her ex or something? Does anyone else remember?

(edited)

Rachel is a teacher, having finished her 7th year teaching 5th graders in 2019....

She went to U of H.

Average Yearly salary for HISD educators just under 52K/year.

Height 5 feet 6.5 inches (half inch and more taller than her hubby)

36kg in weight( less than Jose)

^^^ Correction 136 pounds.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Chalby said:

Wasn't she the child psychologist? Or maybe I'm getting confused. I just remember that one girl who was so rude and so annoying the entire marriage and I felt sorry for the guy she was paired with. She was the girl that kept saying she wasn't sure if she was over her ex or something? Does anyone else remember?

Are you thinking of Katie (diabetic and had her new husband, whose name escapes me at the moment, practice administering her insulin) and then proceed to spend the rest of the episodes (as you mention) ruminating about whether or not she was over her last serious BF.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I have no problem with her spending on expensive things being she works hard, but what happens when she decides to stay home?  The money pressure is on him, and he might put the clampers on her for spending money he can’t provide.

Doesn't she work from home?

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Are you thinking of Katie (diabetic and had her new husband, whose name escapes me at the moment, practice administering her insulin) and then proceed to spend the rest of the episodes (as you mention) ruminating about whether or not she was over her last serious BF.

Yes, he was very tall and looked like Ashton Kutcher.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Chalby said:

No, that was Katie who was "married" to Derek. Amber was the middle school teacher who was married to that ass basketball player who never came home and she kept crying over him and saying how much she needed to have sex.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

On another note, Ryan had shorts on and his legs are amazing.  

When Brett came out of the bathroom to find Ryan bare chested in bed...

I wish Ryan had said

Skeeter, your titties were out at the wedding and reception, mine are going to be out for the whole honeymoon....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 8
On 8/5/2021 at 7:30 AM, Racj82 said:

She just wants to continue spending her money as she seems fit. If they can afford it, more power to her. Its only a problem if she's spending more than she has.

Thank you for your post. I agree, she spends money because she makes a lot of money. She works hard yet maintains a home and still vacations and buys nice things. That shouldn't be an issue to any husband has she clearly doesn't need help paying her own bills. So long as she can pay for her own household expenses once they combine homes, she won't have a problem. And I agree with you regarding women who are 5 ft 5 or less, wanting a 6 ft man - why?

29 minutes ago, Chalby said:

Thank you for your post. I agree, she spends money because she makes a lot of money. She works hard yet maintains a home and still vacations and buys nice things. That shouldn't be an issue to any husband has she clearly doesn't need help paying her own bills. So long as she can pay for her own household expenses once they combine homes, she won't have a problem. And I agree with you regarding women who are 5 ft 5 or less, wanting a 6 ft man - why?

My friend and I used to joke that if you are a blonde in our society, you automatically get labeled "hot". Of course, there are plenty of beautiful blonde women, but it feels like it definitely gives you an advantage, no matter how you look.

I feel the same way about tall men. A guy being tall in our society automatically gets hotness points regardless of his face or physique.

It is something I do not understand though I have seen it happen many times.

I can imagine that Jose's height makes him hard to match because many women are just going to say "no", even if that is not fair.

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Rachel is a teacher, having finished her 7th year teaching 5th graders in 2019....

She went to U of H.

Average Yearly salary for HISD educators just under 52K/year.

Height 5 feet 6.5 inches (half inch and more taller than her hubby)

36kg in weight( less than Jose)

36 kg is 79 pounds

I took Ryan's look to be that of "gentleman rancher" meets "frat boy chic".  He's going for a certain "effortlessly" shabby look that involves sock-less ultra-casual horse-bit Gucci loafers, a Brooks Brothers logo button-down and purposely broken-in shorts ordered out of a catalog aimed at elderly rich oil barons.

He was casual but I prefer that extreme to the "going to the Grammys" look many of the ladies choose.

Thank you for your post. I agree, she spends money because she makes a lot of money. She works hard yet maintains a home and still vacations and buys nice things. That shouldn't be an issue to any husband has she clearly doesn't need help paying her own bills. So long as she can pay for her own household expenses once they combine homes, she won't have a problem.And I agree with you regarding women who are 5 ft 5 or less, wanting a 6 ft man - why?

I don't know this for a fact so I'm pre-judging, but I have a hunch Myrla overspends. Her eyelash maintenance alone is minimum $400/month. The designers she likes are really pricey. I'm betting she spends her entire salary each month and has credit card debt. If that's how she chooses to live, fine but it will create issues in a marriage if she can't carry her weight of shared expenses. And I suspect that her taste in having the finer things probably applies to housing too; I'm not sure she will be satisfied with what they can afford easily and she isn't going to want to pare down her discretionary spending to spend more on housing.

As for the attraction to taller men, I get it. I'm 5'5" and I've been thin and I've been fat. No matter what size I am, I feel enormous next to shorter men (though, weirdly enough, none of my serious relationships were with anyone taller than about 5'10"). People are attracted to who they are attracted to and it doesn't always make rational sense. I think part of the point of this show is to try to get people to think outside the physical attraction box in choosing a mate and more to the meaningful stuff. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 8/5/2021 at 10:30 AM, Racj82 said:

I didn't even notice José height. The concern with men's height is such a odd thing to me. It's something he can't control. I wouldn't mock him for it. Also, most women that want a tall man aren't even tall. I get the whole, when I wear heels thing, but it's such an issue nowadays. I'm 5'8 and you would think I was Danny Devito out here. It's like 6'0 or nothing for a lot of women. Just seems a little extra to me.

Me either, until he pointed out, "I'm NOT 6 feet tall," which was code to me for "I'm insecure about my height." But I agree- I don't put a lot of value on a guy's height. My husband is only a couple of inches taller than me and I never gave it a thought. And we fit together nicely! I am reminded of that douchebag basektball player with the tiny, needy teacher and how I would look at them and think, "that would kill my neck."

I like Brett and was pleasantly surprised that Ryan's wooden-ness seemed to let up this week. I have some hope for them, although she seemed to curl her lip at the "ranch" comments and the dancing.

I really love Bao and Johnny and am rooting for them.  First off, I think she is the cutest of the women and the most sincere and open. She said she had a crush on him, which is cute. And they both seem genuinely happy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Brett is from New Jersey but considers Texas her home...

Well, Cowgirl, just don't be calling yourself a Texan....your new in laws won't look too kindly on that....

No one calls it Picante sauce since they made this commercial in the 90's.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 1

Just because someone spends a lot of money, doesn’t mean they have I'm looking at you chris!)  I’m sure Myrla is doing pretty well, but who knows if she can actually afford all that without going into debt. I think she’s pretty insecure about her looks. 

• Love 3

I am reminded of that douchebag basektball player with the tiny, needy teacher and how I would look at them and think, "that would kill my neck."

And yet the differences in their heights was the least of their worries... I wonder if they ever finalized their divorce...

Edited by Elizzikra
9 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

And yet the differences in their heights was the least of their worries... I wonder if they ever finalized their divorce...

I remember him refusing to sign divorce papers.

His sister even came out and said he was horrible, yet he seemed to have plenty of women to run around town with despite being a broke homeless asshole

I'm sure his height helped.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I’d like the show to have all the couples that didn’t make it on to see what they are doing.  Im sick of Couples Cam with Ashley and Anthony with their camera in their hands every minute.  Same couples on all the time.  Put some new people on already.

• Love 3

I’m 5’7 and with heels on, over 6 ft.  I have gone with guys shorter than me, but felt very uncomfortable on a date.  Some even said “ boy, you sure are tall”.  So that’s why I have said I like tall guys a little better.  Dancing with someone 5 ft 5” looked ridiculous for both of us. 😀

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Chalby said:

And I agree with you regarding women who are 5 ft 5 or less, wanting a 6 ft man - why?

My mother was 4'11" and my Dad was 5' 11" tall.  I'm 5'1 and 3/4" and my husband is 5'11".  I have always ideally preferred men around that height, probably because my Dad was that height, although before I got married I dated a few men who were shorter.  My high school sweetheart was about 5'6" tall.  Also, there are men that prefer shorter women.  My both my Dad and my husband preferred petite brunettes.  So as my mother would say, "we found each other" or "a pot for every cover".

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

My mother was 4'11" and my Dad was 5' 11" tall.  I'm 5'1 and 3/4" and my husband is 5'11".  I have always ideally preferred men around that height, probably because my Dad was that height, although before I got married I dated a few men who were shorter.  My high school sweetheart was about 5'6" tall.  Also, there are men that prefer shorter women.  My both my Dad and my husband preferred petite brunettes.  So as my mother would say, "we found each other" or "a pot for every cover".

We will now call you “Tippy Toes”, lol. 

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

My friend and I used to joke that if you are a blonde in our society, you automatically get labeled "hot". Of course, there are plenty of beautiful blonde women, but it feels like it definitely gives you an advantage, no matter how you look.

I feel the same way about tall men. A guy being tall in our society automatically gets hotness points regardless of his face or physique.

It is something I do not understand though I have seen it happen many times.

I can imagine that Jose's height makes him hard to match because many women are just going to say "no", even if that is not fair.

I agree and I feel sorry for Jose but his insecurity about his appearance and height are only making women say "no" all the more.  He could overcome that somewhat with the right attitude.  It doesn't help that he sends out effeminate vibes, too.

I often say that blondes are automatically seen as better looking than they really are.  I also used to say that a brunette has to be very good looking before she gets rated as high as a below-average looking blonde.  I went through a phase in my 40s of lightening my hair.  I have the kind of hair that lightens easily in the sun and during that time I put lots of highlights in it so over time my hair got lighter and lighter.  I did notice more than the usual number of men looking at me back then.  It got too time consuming and expensive to keep it up so I eventually stopped. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't know this for a fact so I'm pre-judging, but I have a hunch Myrla overspends. Her eyelash maintenance alone is minimum $400/month. The designers she likes are really pricey. I'm betting she spends her entire salary each month and has credit card debt. If that's how she chooses to live, fine but it will create issues in a marriage if she can't carry her weight of shared expenses. And I suspect that her taste in having the finer things probably applies to housing too; I'm not sure she will be satisfied with what they can afford easily and she isn't going to want to pare down her discretionary spending to spend more on housing.

Myrla explained that she got the shoes she wore to the wedding online used.  I wonder if she isn't on Poshmark or a similar clothing resale site.  If you know how to work those you can basically get your wardrobe for free with the money you earn from selling your old stuff.  I've been doing it for 2 years now on Ebay and Poshmark and I can safely say that a complete accounting of sales vs. purchases would put me squarely in the plus column.  I am sure that Myrla makes a good living but she doesn't necessarily have to be in debt or overspend to have some of those finer things.  I also suspect she's more about appearance than reality and wants to brag that she is able to spend money lavishly when the reality may not be as extreme as all that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Myrla explained that she got the shoes she wore to the wedding online used.  I wonder if she isn't on Poshmark or a similar clothing resale site.  If you know how to work those you can basically get your wardrobe for free with the money you earn from selling your old stuff.  I've been doing it for 2 years now on Ebay and Poshmark and I can safely say that a complete accounting of sales vs. purchases would put me squarely in the plus column.  I am sure that Myrla makes a good living but she doesn't necessarily have to be in debt or overspend to have some of those finer things.  I also suspect she's more about appearance than reality and wants to brag that she is able to spend money lavishly when the reality may not be as extreme as all that. 

When Johnny asked Bao what was her most recent spending splurge she told him she bought the Jimmy Choos she was wearing on consignment.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3
On 8/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, Jeanne222 said:

You can't produce and tote an egg forever.  Just ask Angela.  lol

I'm sure Michael wishes Angela was on this show instead! 😉

Myrla and Jose are both high maintenance, but Jose is clearly coming from a place of insecurities. Myrla's deal is harder to artculate. On one hand, I can see why she would get defensive when Gil's friends kept trying to get her to set a specific timeline for intimacy or scale back on her luxuries. She shouldn't have to defend her comfort zone to complete (and somewhat judgy) strangers. Then again, she married another complete stranger on television . . .

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I'm sure Michael wishes Angela was on this show instead! 😉

Myrla and Jose are both high maintenance, but Jose is clearly coming from a place of insecurities. Myrla's deal is harder to artcilate. On one hand, I can see why she would get defensive when Gil's friends kept trying to get her to set a specific timeline for intimacy or scale back on her luxuries. She shouldn't have to defend her comfort zone to complete (and somewhat judgy) strangers. Then again, she married another complete stranger on television . . .

I think Myrla's own friends were also trying to get her to consider being a bit more flexible about her "lifestyle" aka her spending. Remember the joke they made at the ceremony about wearing designer outfits to a clothing drive (or something like that)?  

Edited by Alexander Pope
edited for grammar
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I’m 5’7 and with heels on, over 6 ft.  I have gone with guys shorter than me, but felt very uncomfortable on a date.  Some even said “ boy, you sure are tall”.  So that’s why I have said I like tall guys a little better.  Dancing with someone 5 ft 5” looked ridiculous for both of us. 😀

You wear 6 inch heels? 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

When Johnny asked Bao what was her most recent spending splurge she told him she bought the Jimmy Choos she was wearing on consignment.

I was trying to think of a Myrla example that didn't qualify as a spoiler.  Anyway given what has been uncovered about her it's not too far fetched to imagine that she buys and sells clothing online.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If I could be the person able to purchase these high end items I hope I wouldn’t be the person that has to then sell them on consignment. 

I tend to think of people with huge wealth being able to afford these expensive items. 

consignment folks should buy what they can afford and not have to put on false Aires that they’re something they’re not!

• Love 2

I remember him refusing to sign divorce papers.

The only remotely intelligent thing that dumbass ever said was that he wouldn't sign divorce papers onstage when his attorney hadn't reviewed them. Then he mumbled something about going to "kick it with an Instagram model, yo" and bumbled offstage.

consignment folks should buy what they can afford and not have to put on false Aires that they’re something they’re not!

I can afford higher end designer items... on consignment. I'm not putting on airs. I just like the stuff and can't afford it at full price. I know a few people who can afford the stuff full price and they consign because no matter how big their closets are, they run out of room. Or sometimes they just get tired of their things. Consigning makes a lot more sense than throwing them away. One shop I visit has a lady who regularly sells brand new things on consignment. She and her twin sister are very wealthy and enjoy shopping together but often she gets home and doesn't use what she's purchased. She doesn't bother to return it. I think she also has a storage unit where she keeps things that she's on the fence about and every so often, she sells some stuff to make room for new stuff.

I don't care if Myrla buys her things on consignment but she strikes me as someone who enjoys the luxury shopping experience; buying her LV bag new and having it all wrapped up in the big box and then the big bag. But maybe she does buy and sell used things as well - who knows?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

I would love to see Myrla without the lashes.  I don't think they look good.  

Eye lashes? Truthfully I didn’t even notice them.  All I saw was big boobs, and so did everyone else, especially the Groomsmen.

• Love 2

I would love to see Myrla without the lashes.  I don't think they look good.

I think they are too much without full makeup; like false eyelashes on an otherwise naked face. They just seem out of place.

• Love 5