Type keyword(s) to search

S17:E08: Week 8

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm actually scheduled to get a root canal next week 😱, but I'd still take that over watching those two.

Make sure you get the lidocaine shot or whatever local anesthetic they're doing these days. The shot itself is not pleasant but it makes the rest of the procedure virtually painless.

• Love 4
Just now, chocolatine said:

Make sure you get the lidocaine shot or whatever local anesthetic they're doing these days. The shot itself is not pleasant but it makes the rest of the procedure virtually painless.

Oh, I definitely will!  😅

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I went through four different names on TWoP. Luckily, this site is nicer so here I'm still as I started. And I hope to keep it that way! There were so many of us on TWoP who came back multiple times as different posters. Or maybe I just hung out with a rough crowd!

I remember Ashley breaking down back stage after that "roast" that wasn't a fun time at all. But on the bright side, she ended up with one of the hottest bachelors ever, my fav of all time, JP. So there's that. I never suspected TPTB manipulated the guys or scripted the stories back then. Maybe they did. But now it's just too obvious, everyone has a role to play.

I'm glad to find another JP fan!  He will always be the hottest Bachelorette contestant ever to me.  

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I wonder if lidocaine would make Katie's season more watchable ... ?

• LOL 5

Was there a William and a Bentley who were both brutal to Ashley? Google tells me his full name was “Bentley Williams,” so maybe that’s what’s leading to the confusion. But it could be that a different guy, William, roasted her but then Bentley insulted her unprompted on a date. Lord knows I can never tell people apart or remember names while I’m watching currently—let alone recall 10 years later. But I’m pretty certain Bentley broke her heart because she was really into him and he told her he wasn’t attracted to her and came for Emily, but I think he said that directly to her on a date or at a cocktail party, and she was losing it(!!!) and all of the other guys had to try to stand up for her.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

But on the bright side, she ended up with one of the hottest bachelors ever, my fav of all time, JP

He’s my all time fave, too.  He had me at chicken soup.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

Was there a William and a Bentley who were both brutal to Ashley? Google tells me his full name was “Bentley Williams,” so maybe that’s what’s leading to the confusion. But it could be that a different guy, William, roasted her but then Bentley insulted her unprompted on a date. Lord knows I can never tell people apart or remember names while I’m watching currently—let alone recall 10 years later. But I’m pretty certain Bentley broke her heart because she was really into him and he told her he wasn’t attracted to her and came for Emily, but I think he said that directly to her on a date or at a cocktail party, and she was losing it(!!!) and all of the other guys had to try to stand up for her.

No, you have it wrong.  There was indeed a William who, among others, insulted Ashley at the roast. Most of them picked on her lack of boobage.  William directly said he was hoping for Emily.

Ashley went backstage and broke down. Bentley came and comforted her - I'm sure prompted by a producer. But in Bentley's talking heads, he said he was hoping for Emily and described Ashley as a "Butterface". He then wanted to leave the show and told Ashley that he was missing his son too much. He hinted at wanting a blowjob that same night. 

Ashley couldn't move on or give the rest of the guys a chance because she thought Bentley was the ONE! So it appeared that the producers showed her the clips of what Bentley was saying about her and she snapped out of it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
22 hours ago, JenE4 said:

God, that call with his son was heartbreaking! On the one hand, I understand why he needs to rush home if his son was saying you don’t want to see me anymore. But on the other hand, he is going home right now for hometowns! So it comes down to michael wants to go home—but he just doesn’t want Katie to join him.  

21 hours ago, Arkay said:

I guess only Michael can make the choice he made, because only he and the grandparents know if James really feels that way, or if he said it randomly and was on to the next thing.

21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Not that I'm Mike's kid, but I was five when my dad died and I had no comprehension of what was going on or what happened or anything else about it. So Mike's the one feeling guilty and my $ is on he's bailing now before he spends more time away before getting cut anyway. Besides, as said above, he's already solid in Bachelor Nation and all is good for him moving forward. Just not with Katie, which is a real plus for him in my book.

I think most parents agree that toddlers can be as manipulative as anyone else -- they use cuteness, pitch fits, whatever, to try to get their way.  They can also have short attention spans and will be mad one minute, get distracted, and laughing the next.  One minute James was saying "take me to Disney World!" -- the next minute he's saying, "maybe you left because you don't want to see me" and wandering off.  I've got to believe they were letting Mike talk to his son somewhat regularly and this wasn't the first call.  So, unless James was saying this on every call (and if he was saying it on every call, then why wait 3+ weeks to go home?), as a parent I would probably wait and see if it came up again before taking the drastic step of quitting the show.  Unless you're just looking for a reason to quit, which is what I think was going on here.  

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wonder if lidocaine would make Katie's season more watchable ... ?

It's too late now to know for sure. We should have set up a controlled, double-blind experiment at the beginning of the season.

Edited by chocolatine
  • LOL 9

3 hours ago, JenE4 said:

No. She was a perfectly normal dental student. But, I think that’s why a few of the guys were really disappointed because they were hoping for smoking hot Emily Maynard (who turned the lead down at the time) and instead they got an average-to-cute (but not necessarily arguably beautiful) woman that they could have met in any small town. Now they go for “regular people that you empathize with,” but back then there was more of a focus on the lead being some type of unattainable ideal. Granted, they also had the likes of Jillian and Bob back then, but somehow their “funny personalities” outshined their lower-average looks. Ashley, on the other hand, while a perfectly normal, sweet girl, didn’t really have anything “special” going for her to make the guys want to fight over her. Remember, this was before the opportunity to become a social media influencer. Wasn’t Bentley there to promote his trampoline park? This was what There For the Wrong Reasons meant back then—maybe more local moms would schedule their kids’ parties at your establishment, lol.

It does make sense for them to cast knockouts if they want a bunch of people truly instantly into and fighting over the lead. Emily is particularly attractive for a Bachelorette, right? At the top of my head, the prettiest ones are probably her and Tayshia. Without naming names, some of the others are definitely more of the everyday  cute types, and that goes for the beauty queens they cast too. 

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It was William who did the mean roast. Bentley only said nasty things in his ITMs.

She was perfectly lovely, she just had insecurities about her looks which some of the men exploited.

Watching it back, it's even meaner than I remembered. Poor Ashley!

Roasts are supposed to be funny, not mean. The trick is to make fun of traits about which the subject feels secure. In this case, Ashley was already anxious about "letting down" the men by not being Emily, and William chose to pour salt in the wound.

Aww, poor thing. I looked her up and she is quite cute. Most men would feel lucky if they got with someone who had her face and figure. 

I agree. I've seem some funny roasts. Also, for me personally, it's one thing if your mean humor is directed toward someone who's mean themselves. Telling a young harmless Bachelorette that he hoped for a beautiful, busty girl is just cruel. No woman wants to hear that, but especially not if she already felt insecure not being Emily.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Ashley was nice at least from what I saw of her when she was The Bachelorette. I heard that she was on Brad Womack's season, but I only started watching this show with her season as the lead.

I never thought she (and others like katie) were such classic successful beauties that men would go crazy over, I think of trista and emilys seaons where the guys were all gaga. same for some of the really bad bachelors, the original premise of the show was the "ideal" person. So seeing these guys all gaga over Katie and raving how she changed their lives, it was nice and classy of them but not believable. 

14 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

It does make sense for them to cast knockouts if they want a bunch of people truly instantly into and fighting over the lead. Emily is particularly attractive for a Bachelorette, right? At the top of my head, the prettiest ones are probably her and Tayshia. Without naming names, some of the others are definitely more of the everyday  cute types, and that goes for the beauty queens they cast too. 

Aww, poor thing. I looked her up and she is quite cute. Most men would feel lucky if they got with someone who had her face and figure. 

I agree. I've seem some funny roasts. Also, for me personally, it's one thing if your mean humor is directed toward someone who's mean themselves. Telling a young harmless Bachelorette that he hoped for a beautiful, busty girl is just cruel. No woman wants to hear that, but especially not if she already felt insecure not being Emily.

Bentley was a total jerk.

3 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I'm glad to find another JP fan!  He will always be the hottest Bachelorette contestant ever to me.  

mine is Lanny from Merediths season. but wow his mom...lol

• Love 7

For some reason, in the close-ups, Katie's face resembles a young Lorraine Bracco.

4 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

I think most parents agree that toddlers can be as manipulative as anyone else -- they use cuteness, pitch fits, whatever, to try to get their way.  They can also have short attention spans and will be mad one minute, get distracted, and laughing the next.  One minute James was saying "take me to Disney World!" -- the next minute he's saying, "maybe you left because you don't want to see me" and wandering off.  I've got to believe they were letting Mike talk to his son somewhat regularly and this wasn't the first call.  So, unless James was saying this on every call (and if he was saying it on every call, then why wait 3+ weeks to go home?), as a parent I would probably wait and see if it came up again before taking the drastic step of quitting the show.  Unless you're just looking for a reason to quit, which is what I think was going on here.  

On 7/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, Arkay said:

I guess only Michael can make the choice he made, because only he and the grandparents know if James really feels that way, or if he said it randomly and was on to the next thing.

Yep, exactly, to both of these.

11 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I may be alone on this, but I don’t feel the Michael A. love.  I think he’s milking the dead wife story just a LEETLE too much.  

On 7/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, Arkay said:

What an excellent father he is, though. I hope when Michael is ready, he gets scooped up by the perfect woman for him and James.

I don't think he milked the dead wife story, but I did think he milked the dad angle.  In TMTA, he even called what he did a 'great dad' thing.   And no disrespect to Arkay, but we have no idea how he is as a father....we only know what they are showing us, and that does indeed appear to be someone kind and caring, but being a good parent goes way beyond that.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

If Matt can forgive Rachael, why can't we forgive Chris Harrison?

Ha. I do not model my life after Matt James and his whole post-show history with Rachael is part of the reason why. (I'm not just talking about continuing to date her but how that all went down.)

12 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I thought he was a sad sack at first, but over the season, I think that Greg took over that role as Michael gained confidence. 

I don't think he's a sad sack.  I do think The Bachelorette focused on the sadder parts of the story because they love tears and fights. 

But the excitement when he thought they were going to do drag, to the riffing at the podium over the queens talking about his stamina, to the urinal compliment (I think that was him), I think there's a very fun guy there.

Heck, even Greg dancing showed him to be a happier person than editing has. 

And that's what this franchise does, for whatever reason, it loves to suck the fun out of its leads. I'm already fearing for Michelle who, in the post-credits last season, showed she had such a fun personality which The Bachelorette will get rid of when the focus is on her.

9 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I guess if I were Katie, I would be kinda WTF with Michael too, saying he needed to go home for his son and then coming on MTA and saying he would like to continue their relationship. What changed since he left? 

I don't see how anything changed.  The issue wasn't that he didn't want to date Katie (although maybe it was but it wasn't what he said), it was that he needed to go be with his son.

Now, do I think he thought she'd take him up on it?  No.    But if she did, he wouldn't have to keep his son separated.

I just think that phone call and those words kind of burst the bubble for Michael.  It was fun.  He went farther than maybe he thought he would.  But he did a hard assessment and realized that if they were meant to be, it'd probably shake out in the end even if he left as it has in previous seasons.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
(edited)

Heck, even Greg dancing showed him to be a happier person than editing has. 

I really enjoyed the footage at the end. I thought Greg was the kind of guy who got by on being cute and that moody broody vibe, so it was cool to see him being silly. The guys are all so much more fun and likable when they're having fun together than with Katie. 

Michael gives me genuinely good guy vibes. I know it's hard to tell with the show, but that's my guess watching him. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:
10 hours ago, TomGirl said:

Who were you?  I’ve been TomGirl the whole time.

I went through four different names on TWoP. Luckily, this site is nicer so here I'm still as I started. And I hope to keep it that way! There were so many of us on TWoP who came back multiple times as different posters. Or maybe I just hung out with a rough crowd!

I was FORMER NUN...among others.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Michael gives me genuinely good guy vibes. I know it's hard to tell with the show, but that's my guess watching him. 

Jake was the producer-driven "good guy" on Jillian's season, then he got his part of the deal and became The Bachelor. Mr. Good Guy turned into Mr. Egotistical Jerk, and by the end of the season and beyond, he became Mr. Rat Bastard. I get very suspicious  ever since when someone gets a "good guy" edit.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I really enjoyed the footage at the end. I thought Greg was the kind of guy who got by on being cute and that moody broody vibe, so it was cool to see him being silly. The guys are all so much more fun and likable when they're having fun together than with Katie. 

...but we really don't know how they are with Katie, just what they choose to have us see.

I really do miss the old days without so much obvious producer manipulation. Again, this show inherently has drama, they don't need to create it... and if they are manipulating, they should try something new one of these days. It's so rinse and repeat now.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, EllenB said:

Jake was the producer-driven "good guy" on Jillian's season

Oh, man, I had such a HUGE crush on Jake. Then, as you said, we got to know him. Wow. Eye opener. But illustrates the power of manipulation this show has.

I did believe Ashley was nice though, she had a real job, or at least was pursuing a real job, and didn't need fake boobs to be a dental hygienist. And JP turned out to be a real (hot) guy too with a real job that paid money. I guess those days are gone for this franchise.

• Love 7

Bentley was an example of looks are not everything.  I remember on Ashley's season I thought Bentley was very attractive when I first saw him.  Then he started talking.  He became ugly very quickly.  The ugly personality overtook his looks.

• Love 10

The Ashley/Bentley thing was one of the worst situations I’ve watched on all the seasons of Bachelor/Bachelorette (and I’ve been watching since Andrew Firestone). I thought it was disgusting the way TPTB allowed their bachelorette to be humiliated by Bentley that way. Other contestants have been unceremoniously cast out for daring to flirt with a crew member or possibly having a girlfriend out there somewhere, and they let Bentley lead Ashley on while he totally dragged her behind her back. It was loathsome. I was very happy for Ashley when she ended up with JP (who was/is hot and amazing!) It seriously bummed me out when I heard they were divorcing, because they were one of the most real and genuine couples on the show — not just would-be influencers or podcasters. 

• Love 9
On 7/27/2021 at 11:29 AM, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I'm with you! I think he sounded really scripted at times, like when he said, "How lucky it is to fall in love twice" after knowing Katie for maybe a week.  I think he maybe thought Katie was cute to casually date and also wanted to get his name out there by being on the show as a business owner so that people could google him and find/support his online business ventures.  I think regardless of how nice most of the guys seem, they all came on the show for social media followers and to elevate their attractiveness to local single girls in their hometowns.  

Oh thank God it's not just me....i'm reading all these swoony posts about what a swell guy he is and I just want to barf. I couldn't stand him or his goofy phone calls with his kid. Ugh. Maybe it's because i'm no big fan of children, but if you ARE a fan or have them? Maybe don't go on the Bachelor or Bachelorette and then start whining about leaving your kid. Not remotely a fan of Katie, but he is NO great loss.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

...but we really don't know how they are with Katie, just what they choose to have us see.

Of course, but I can only comment on what I see. They've shown us tons of boring footage. 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I did believe Ashley was nice though, she had a real job, or at least was pursuing a real job, and didn't need fake boobs to be a dental hygienist. And JP turned out to be a real (hot) guy too with a real job that paid money. I guess those days are gone for this franchise.

Exactly. I don't know what Emily's job was, but a lot of the women who sign up are wannabe models/influencers, hence the bleached blonde hair and big fake boobs. Not knocking any of that, but that stuff isn't necessary for a dental hygienist, especially a cute one like Ashley who'd attract tons of men with her natural looks. 

2 hours ago, Blintzie said:

The Ashley/Bentley thing was one of the worst situations I’ve watched on all the seasons of Bachelor/Bachelorette (and I’ve been watching since Andrew Firestone). I thought it was disgusting the way TPTB allowed their bachelorette to be humiliated by Bentley that way. Other contestants have been unceremoniously cast out for daring to flirt with a crew member or possibly having a girlfriend out there somewhere, and they let Bentley lead Ashley on while he totally dragged her behind her back. It was loathsome. I was very happy for Ashley when she ended up with JP (who was/is hot and amazing!) It seriously bummed me out when I heard they were divorcing, because they were one of the most real and genuine couples on the show — not just would-be influencers or podcasters. 

Shame on TPTB.  Ashley dodged a bullet though. It sounds like Bentley is the kind of guy who'd lose interest in a woman once she got older, if her body wasn't the same after kids, etc. 

Our culture used to be so gross with putting down women. Now it's like the reverse on this show where the girls can almost do no wrong. They can be big babies, but we're supposed to consider them strong. They can do whatever they want with the men and brag about, and if anyone finds it tacky, it's slut shaming. They can talk a lot of crap about the guys and how they treat women, but the men can't defend themselves. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Honeycombs said:

Oh thank God it's not just me....i'm reading all these swoony posts about what a swell guy he is and I just want to barf. I couldn't stand him or his goofy phone calls with his kid. Ugh. Maybe it's because i'm no big fan of children, but if you ARE a fan or have them? Maybe don't go on the Bachelor or Bachelorette and then start whining about leaving your kid. Not remotely a fan of Katie, but he is NO great loss.

I completely agree!  I think that the calls to his toddler were annoying too- it was an obvious producer ploy to show what a kind and caring dad he is, but they just felt really put on and exploitative of the kid.  I question the true motives for a single dad  who is still grieving the loss of his wife to apply to a show and leave his 4 year old for at least 2 months for only a 1 in 30 chance of coming out of this with a relationship. 

I highly doubt any of these men would be so bowled over by Katie or her looks if they met organically in a bar or party- it's the limelight of TV and social media/business opportunities that draw them to be on the show.  It's 2021, most single guys swipe on apps to score dates for the rest of the week while their current date touches up her makeup in a bar bathroom- these guys on The Bachelorette aren't fooling me with their flowery Hallmark card phrases of love and readiness for marriage! 

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
spelling
  • Love 5
(edited)

Ashley wasn’t a dental hygienist.   She was studying to be a dentist.   When she and JP got married, she had baby fever, but he insisted that they wait the one year she had left to finish her degree and get her DDS, because he knew how hard it would be to go back after having a baby.   I was sad, too, when they broke up because they looked to be sincerely in love.   And they were smart too.  During the time they had to sneak around while the season aired, they had dinner together every night over FaceTime so they could talk and really get to know each other.  

I can’t say I see any sincere emotion between Katie and any of the top 3 except maybe  lust with Blake.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Ashley wasn’t a dental hygienist.   She was studying to be a dentist.   When she and JP got married, she had baby fever, but he insisted that they wait the one year she had left to finish her degree and get her DDS, because he knew how hard it would be to go back after having a baby.   I was sad, too, when they broke up because they looked to be sincerely in love.   And they were smart too.  During the time they had to sneak around while the season aired, they had dinner together every night over FaceTime so they could talk and really get to know each other.  

I can’t say I see any sincere emotion between Katie and any of the top 3 except maybe  lust with Blake.  

I heard he was very ill, Im sorry they didnt make it, Im sure it was very stressful :(

• Love 6
On 7/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, TomGirl said:

I thought exactly the same thing.  I may be alone on this, but I don’t feel the Michael A. love.  I think he’s milking the dead wife story just a LEETLE too much.  And I don’t care for his cutesy facial expressions with the cocked head and wide eyes and “I’m so adorable” vibe.

OK, let the firing squad take aim!

Seems a touch callous to use a term like "milking his dead wife story" considering that's a massive life event for such a young person (think of how many of the young dingbats on this show say "this is the worst day of my life" about a bad day on the Bachelor, if that's their worst day, they've had a good life) but I'm right there with you on the cutesy facial expressions and a lot of his personality.

And honestly, he strikes me as the kind of guy that women would fall for from afar or fall in love with the idea of him (the devoted father, widower looking for love again), but might struggle with finding passion for him. 

I did appreciate that he buried his head in his hands in embarrassment when they showed him asking Katie if he could kiss her in that cutesy little baby voice. Yep, that's pretty much how we all felt, buddy... And his forthcomingness about failing the contest and making jokes about it, that showed more personality than most of the screen time he's had all year.

I get a similar feeling about Greg, his one-on-one time has a droopy faced, dull quality, but he seems like he's a lot of more fun when he's relaxed and hanging out with the guys. 

These guys are giving Katie way too much credit saying she "changed their lives" like she's some motivational speaker at a Learning Annex class! And "stunning" or "gorgeous"?!  I'd say she is "cute" or approachable maybe, but haven't they looked at a Sports Illustrated swimsuit magazine or hell, even their local mall? I can only attribute their feelings to the Stockholm Syndrome pressure cooker that is The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. 

Eh, they're all playing the same game. They didn't win the show, but they're playing along with the party line to keep the door open for an invite back to other franchise shows and events. 

I can't think of a single thing Katie has done that has seemed impactful in any way and she's definitely on the "cute" spectrum and not in the head-turning, knockout spectrum. 

Her best move of the season was knocking out the entire drama llama contingent in one fell swoop. And calling Aaron "Thomas" was a nice touch as well, Aaron was such a shit-stirrer all season, glad to see him realize how irrelevant he was.

As far as Katie's strained demeanor went, I could interpret it one of a couple ways. 1. She picked Greg, who has shown all season long that he struggles with her dating other guys. She couldn't exactly go out there and be like "oh, maybe Michael was the one who got away and I should keep that door open" if she's engaged to Greg. 2. She's REALLY worried about the contract and non-disclosure and struggled with answering questions in a bland enough way that wouldn't give anything away. 3. She was annoyed with the questions and the tone of the interviews when she knows that they all know the constraints she's under. Frankly, I wondered about it myself, why the eff are they trying to reopen a door with another contestant when we haven't even seen the ending with the people who stayed?

Re: Connor and the totally, absolutely, 100% unscripted kissing of an audience member. Will go down as one of the dumbest time-wasting filler segments of all time. 

And something about Connor still creeps me out. I cannot put my finger on it, but there is something about him that makes me very wary. He has a good personality, but there is something behind him that feels sinister, like he's a "nice guy" until he's not. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

3. She was annoyed with the questions and the tone of the interviews when she knows that they all know the constraints she's under. Frankly, I wondered about it myself, why the eff are they trying to reopen a door with another contestant when we haven't even seen the ending with the people who stayed?

That’s what i thought as well.  I know that people sign up for this but the reporter seemed to think she was being cute rather than annoying asking questions that she knew weren’t going to get answered.  I know that on TV a British accent entitles you to a lot, but it shouldn’t entitle you to be so transparently annoying,

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Re: Connor and the totally, absolutely, 100% unscripted kissing of an audience member. Will go down as one of the dumbest time-wasting filler segments of all time

Showing Jason proposing to Kaitlyn (the co-host) is right up there as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4