Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03 Jiminy Crickets

• Start Topic

On 7/29/2021 at 3:44 AM, qtpye said:

But Mickey Darby and Ashley will never stop!

For real... it's one of the lyrics to her song. Ya'll find Charisse in the red dress.

Edited to add:

Candiace's song is way better and you can see most of the Potomac Howives in the end.

I actually enjoyed both of the videos....damned Ashley, that hair is FIRE!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, nb360 said:

I've written this before and I wish Bravo would do this: I would love to see a "Real Housewives of Academia." People have no idea how shady academic people (women and men) can be.

This is why I'm looking forward to Sandra Oh's tv show, The Chair.

Mary McCarthy's Groves of Academe covered the same territory in her 1952 novel. The conniving goings on of the academic world never change.

• Love 8
On 7/29/2021 at 2:59 PM, qtpye said:

Yes, Wendy...we liked you because you are smart. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be cute but the minute you start becoming another appearance-obsessed howife is the minute you start to lose what makes you special.

I was watching a video about wealthy people who were buying extremely expensive 2nd homes/vacation homes.

I was absolutely SHOCKED that all the wives looked like normal women. Media and howives shows had led me to believe most rich women were botoxed to death, wore tons of fake hair/make-up, and had giant fake boobs/asses.

I mean, I should know better but it was so dang refreshing.

If you look at photos from charity galas and other events that wealthy people attend, 90% of the women look like typical, average women who may be more well-dressed because they can afford it, but even then the clothes aren't always fabulous. Many are overweight, many have wrinkles and age spots and imperfect teeth. It is indeed refreshing that they all don't look like Stepford Wives and seem content to age gracefully. 

• Love 8
On 7/26/2021 at 4:13 PM, RealReality said:

Robyn's situation makes more sense.  I'm so happy for her to see Embellished growing. 

But she is clearly trying to be more judicious and careful with her money.  She is only hiring some gig workers for a few hours to help her box up caps, and she may not be able to get all the help she needs if she is booking her help later rather than sooner.  She didn't get up in the morning, but that makes a LOT of sense if you've been up until 2am trying to fill 350 orders.  But I don't think Robyn is going to commit money unless she does so carefully and is sure she needs to do it.  I think its part of the reason why you couldn't get a freaking Embellished cap last Christmas no matter how hard you tried.  I think she just didn't want to purchase product up front until she could see how it sold.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:27 PM, RealReality said:

Whereas Robyn?  She grew that business from a mere idea.  No doubt she gets those caps from somewhere in China, but she owns the website, she buys the caps and she resells them.  And her business appears to have grown by leaps and bounds and the profit is all hers.  

I'm thinking that the reason Robyn didn't have enough stock on hand last Christmas was a combination of her not wanting to risk buying too much and also the slowdown in manufacturing and shipping from China due to the pandemic. Maybe she had ordered more and they were just taking a long time to arrive.

Another reason maybe she didn't have a lot of workers on site to pack and process may have to do with social distancing requirements at the time, as in how many people could occupy one indoor space. Maryland was pretty strong with pandemic restrictions.

I'm too am happy to see her product selling. It's an original idea and a good one. Plus, like many have said, Robyn has always struck me as the most authentic Potomac (now Baltimore) Housewife and the one I'd most like to hang out with. (Kurrin and Ashley would round out my foursome, especially if they had a few drinks and no agenda.)

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 7/31/2021 at 1:49 PM, amarante said:

But that doesn't make her a gold digger in the way it is generally used when women hook up with pro athletes. Monique is in that category - when Robyn was in hook school, Juan might have been the BMOC but that is true of many classic quarterback/cheerleader high school relationships. Her family seems to have nurtured him for whatever reason although that isn't discussed as much as it was during the first season when it was a really plot point but it doesn't seem like she hooked up with him because she saw a pot of gold.

I think she probably has a lot of guilt about losing all the money. Based on the first season of Atlanta, the basketball pros have better contracts and so unless they are complete dunces, they have enough money when their career is over to do okay. Evidently it is different for football players as they can be out on the street relatively quickly without much money to soften the landing. I think there was something between DeShawn who was married to the basketball player and they had money and someone who was married to an ex-football player.

There is some kind of unhealthy dynamic going on in terms of Robyn being emotionally vested in a relationship that she should have left behind a long time ago. But that also seems to be true of Gizelle and Jamal - whether Gizelle pretended to have the relationship solely for the show, I suspect that she hasn't cut the emotional strings completely.

I have said it before but I don't understand why these beautiful intelligent fabulous women hook up with such terrible men.

Robyn talked on her podcast in much greater detail about her relationship with Juan and spoke about how no one believed he could make it to the NBA because of his size. She said she was the person that would go to the gym with him to rebound when he wanted to practice, and she feels like the TWO of them put in a lot of hard work and sacrificed so Juan could achieve his dream. My guess is that 1) she was absolutely in love with him; 2) she determined that pretty much anything he did was okay, so long as they were together; 3) at some point she stopped feeling that way and divorced him; and 4) but then when he lost everything, she took him back and started the entire cycle over again. 

Beyond that,  I don't know that Robyn ever defined herself without Juan. Although she went to college, she never talks about what her degree was in, or about any particular career thoughts. It's almost like she was there only because of Juan. She seems like motivation has always been an issue (always late, no real direction), and the real estate/haberdashery/podcasting spokesperson is a reflection of her trying to figure out just what she wants to be when she grows up. She's like a twenty-five year old trapped in the body of a forty-something mom. 

My guess about the why is that both Robyn and Gizelle think of themselves as pretty first, and accomplished second. If you value your looks and not your mind, you'll search out people who value your looks and not your mind. 

• Love 5