Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Houston, We Have a Marriage

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

f she told the experts no pets I’m sure they shared with Gil and I’d guess he has alternate plans for said dog!

I am willing to bet they did NOT tell Gil anything about her and I would also be willing to bet that he has no plans to get rid of his beloved pet. If he loves his dog like he seems to, the dog is his family and it was up to the experts to find someone who liked dogs. This was on them, and they seem to think it is not a big deal. It is.

• Love 21
(edited)

Erik & Virginia had the pet issue last season, where Erik was highly allergic to cats.  

I completely understand this, as I can't even enter a home with a cat, so when I was on dating sites, if a guy had anything about cats in his profile, I'd back out before it even began.  For me, the Erik/Virginia solution of keeping the cat in a different room would not have worked.

This really should be taken into consideration.  There are dog people, there are cat people, and there are "no pet" people.  I dislike Myrla as much as the next person, but her preferences are important here.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 13
(edited)
20 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Maybe she breaks out from foundation?  What else can it be?  Some sort of allergy to makeup?

20 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Maybe. It seems odd to me that she has such heavy eyelashes and the rest of her face isn't done at all...

I think she is into Asian skincare trend where the point is make the skin beautiful and translucent and show it off without makeup. It's total opposite of American trend where you cover your skin and make it matte. So I think she wants to show off her hard work. I do Korean skincare myself for last 5 years so I'm familiar with the trend. It can be pretty time consuming if you build your routine to have up to 10 steps. And I bet she uses the most expensive products too just because she can. (I get my skincare straight from Korea or Japan and you can find great quality stuff from smaller brands for cheaper than buy either American or European stuff which is extremely overpriced in my opinion. Of course you can buy extremely expensive brands in Asia too.)  

Edited by ava111
Grammar
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I don’t understand why they would give a person a guy with a dog if they specified no pets. That seems like right off the bat they are set up for a very serious argument or discussion. 

1 minute ago, ava111 said:

I think she is into Asian skincare trend where the point is make the skin beautiful and translucent and show it of without makeup. It's total opposite of American trend where you cover your skin and make it matte. So I think she wants to show off her hard work. I do Korean skincare myself for last 5 years so I'm familiar with the trend. It can be pretty time consuming if you build your routine to have up to 10 steps. And I bet she uses the most expensive products too just because she can. (I get my skincare straight from Korea or Japan and you can find great quality stuff from smaller brands for cheaper than buy either American or European stuff which is extremely overpriced in my opinion. Of course you can buy extremely expensive brands in Asia too.)  

She does have luminous skin. I’ll give her that. 

• Love 3

Myrla's skin is well cared for with either self or professional facials, her small pores are  to be applauded. Perhaps she spritzes to look dewy and moist.

She prefers to be fresh faced, so be it.

But she didn't have throw her bridesmaids' eyebrows under the bus...harsh.

Anyone bring up Brett's too big veneers?

Her lip gets caught up on her dry upper chompers in a sneer....awkward.

I am rooting for Brett.

This latest Ryan, unfortunately may be yet another in a long list of awful MAFS "Ryans."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I am willing to bet they did NOT tell Gil anything about her and I would also be willing to bet that he has no plans to get rid of his beloved pet. If he loves his dog like he seems to, the dog is his family and it was up to the experts to find someone who liked dogs. This was on them, and they seem to think it is not a big deal. It is.

Yes! And it’s so unfair to the pet too who has no control over the situation. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I am too lazy to go through them all but evidently the almost-naked look is a Berta hallmark... https://www.berta.com/bridal-couture/collections/.

Do we know anything about the budget for the dresses? Does the show cover that or give them any sort of budget or are they on the hook for their own gown cost?

There's speculation that the show gives them a budget, possibly $1500, for a dress. People are guessing that she spent the extra to get the dress she wanted.

I don't know why Berta chooses to model all their dresses unlined like that, it's kinda vulgar. I'd imagine most brides would opt for lining so they don't put all their goodies on show so why doesn't Berta photograph them that way? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Anyone bring up Brett's too big veneers?

Her lip gets caught up on her dry upper chompers in a sneer....awkward.

I am rooting for Brett.

I think those are Brett's natural teeth. Her father's are exactly the same. 

I, too, like Brett. 

• Love 3

Erik was highly allergic to cats.  

I think Erik was a little allergic to cats. He could take antihistamines and be ok (not that he should have to, but I don't think he had a serious allergy). They could manage fine with the cat when they were "in love." They seemed to have bigger issues around dog training.

I'd love to be - I just don't have the skin for it. I didn't notice that Myrla had particularly good skin (or bad); her skin tone seemed uneven to me so I would have gone with some light foundation to even it all out. But yeah - her choice.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

I don't wear a speck of makeup, ever, and I've wondered what I would do if I ever had a fancy wedding, because makeup would look really weird on me.  I prefer to be fresh faced, but I also don't have false eyelashes.  Sure, she can do whatever she wants, but it seemed like a bit of a mismatch to me--weekly eyelash appointments for normal life, but no foundation for your wedding in a stripper fairy dress.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I am too lazy to go through them all but evidently the almost-naked look is a Berta hallmark... https://www.berta.com/bridal-couture/collections/.

Do we know anything about the budget for the dresses? Does the show cover that or give them any sort of budget or are they on the hook for their own gown cost?

Wouldn't they rent the gowns? You can't tell me that they get paid enough to buy those gowns.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

This really should be taken into consideration.  There are dog people, there are cat people, and there are "no pet" people.  I dislike Myrla as much as the next person, but her preferences are important here.

And you just never know WHY someone dislikes dogs, or any pet really.

Or maybe not dislikes them...just doesn't want them in their house.

My sister's best friend came from a pet hoarder family growing up. Pet poop and pee everywhere, and she had no say about any of it when she was a child.

She was determined she'd never own a pet when she left her parent's house, and she never has.  

Also,  the parents spent way too much money on feeding the hoard of pets, and their kids were very poorly dressed because of it. 

So not only does she not have pets, she buys herself expensive clothes now too. (And that's her right.)

Not saying that's what happened to Myrla, but it's one possibility. You just never know people's backstories, or how it affected them.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

My sister's best friend came from a pet hoarder family growing up. Pet poop and pee everywhere, and she had no say about any of it when she was a child.

She was determined she'd never own a pet when she left her parent's house, and she never has.  

Also,  the parents spent way too much money on feeding the hoard of pets, and their kids were very poorly dressed because of it. 

So not only does she not have pets, she buys herself expensive clothes now too. (And that's her right.)

Not saying that's what happened to Myrla, but it's one possibility. You just never know people's backstories, or how it affected them.

We had dogs growing up and it’s just torture when they die. That’s one of the biggest reasons why I don’t get a dog, even though I’d love their companionship. That plus I’m the main housekeeper in my house and I know all the responsibility would rest on me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

The way Myrla proudly said that she would never clean up after a dog made me think she would have similar issues with changing diapers, despite her desire to have "one or two" kids, depending on how long it would take for her "mommy makeover."

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Time will tell!

• Love 4
On 7/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

She's just a sour, unpleasant person who thinks too highly of herself. I'm glad she doesn't have any pets

I may have said this before, but if she thinks she’s so great, why did she have to go on this show.  She’s o.k., but not all that.  Her personality is dull.  I just hope she doesn’t give him a hard time.  Plus, he’s got everything going in the looks, manners and built department.  She should be thrilled, but doesn’t look it.

• Love 10
On 7/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

With Zack/Michaela and Johnny/Bao, I kept getting whiplash from their responses during the weddings and receptions. Zack and Johnny both seemed mostly thrilled, but occasionally terrified. Michaela seemed almost totally thrilled, except her bizarre non-reaction to the crochet anecdote. Bao, I just don't have the same impression of her as most people and I don't want to seem like a troll, so I'll just... smile weakly.

Zack/Michaela and Johnny/Bao both have potential. Jury is still out for me on the other couples, although Jose and Myrla both seem selfish and a bit delusional. They both think they’re the greatest things since sliced bread. The experts should have matched them together. 

Johnny and Bao are really cute together, and I love how funny and playful he is. “What do I do with my hand?” “Put it on my butt.” Bao is a little anxious/judgy/critical at times, but she laughs when she’s around Johnny. I hope they can be accommodating to one another and don’t drive each other crazy. 

Zack and Michaela were both attracted to each other right away and seem interested in getting to know each other.  I haven’t gotten the Jepthe “I married a STRANGER!” vibes from either one of them, at least not yet. I agree with other people who have said that Michaela is a lot. She can be one of those loud, annoying extroverts (not all extroverts are loud or annoying) that drains all of the energy from an introvert like Zack. He’s going to need his alone time—I wonder if that will become an issue. 

I can’t tell if Zack is always so emotional and weepy or if it was just because of the hugeness of the moment. He’s definitely still nurtured (coddled?) by his mom, which is adorable, but I wonder if Michaela is the kind of woman who will hug Zack to her bosom and call him her Sweet Angel. Michaela talks about wanting a man who is strong and decisive. Let’s hope questions about his masculinity don’t invade their marriage the way they did with Karen and Miles.*

*BTW, I listened to a great interview with Karen and Miles, and they both insisted that the editing during their season twisted her words around and made their marriage seem unhappy, which it never was. And that Karen was really uncomfortable in front of the cameras, which came across as a stank attitude.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I think those are Brett's natural teeth. Her father's are exactly the same. 

I, too, like Brett. 

I like Brett also, but the guy they picked for her seems very quiet and a downer.  He doesn’t smile much at all.  Maybe he’s nervous .. I don’t know.  She might bring out the best in him,I hope.

• Love 3
On 7/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Retired at last said:

Agreed but I still think once the match was decided on the dog issue had to be discussed with the I own a PITBULL and the I don’t like animals match up couple .

This is no Teacup Poodle we are talking about! This is a PITBULL that might eat her!

• Love 2
On 7/29/2021 at 7:28 AM, Yeah No said:

I know I thought the same thing about the experts matching her with him, but for me it's not even that she doesn't like dogs (I love dogs BTW) but the way she acted about it, which IMO showed zero class.  Asking if it slobbered right there at the altar is one example of that.  Puhleeze, girl just stop with the diva stuff!  Just don't make potentially insulting assumptions like that and blurt them out during your solemn wedding ceremony.  She is entitled not to like them but IMO being disrespectful of her groom AND the dog reflects poorly on her.  Dogs have feelings, they are highly evolved creatures, and acting that way about them is IMO ignorant and classless.  This is a creature her groom loves.  Have some respect.  That's like asking him at the altar if his sister or his best friend slobbers.  My friend owned a Pit years ago and I never once saw it slobber.  She needs to get a clue.

To be fair, she didn't address the dog, so.....

I think every participant is nervous and prone to utter a gaffe or two when meeting the spouse.

Let us remember that the dog was the SECOND disregarded specific request that Myrla encountered at the altar. 

• Love 5
On 7/28/2021 at 6:05 PM, Straycat80 said:

So far I’m liking the tux’s more than the wedding dresses. 
Brett looks like the actress Toni  Collette in her younger years. 

I was thinking Hillary Swank...

ETA, after reading more, I can’t not see Carrot Top...I do like the shade of red hair, though.  

Edited by For Cereals
  • Love 4
On 7/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, gingerandcloves said:

Myrla: I'm not going to kiss him at the altar; he's a stranger! (While marrying a stranger, WHUT)

Also Myrla: I want the sexiest wedding dress in the store.

I'm trying really hard to like her but she's making it difficult. Why didn't they match picky Myrla with picky Jose? At least they could enjoy making each other miserable.

She said she wanted a tall guy.  She got one and still is unsatisfied.  Jose is too in love with himself and too picky about everything.  He looks like he would be a pain in the ass.

• Love 3
On 7/30/2021 at 11:33 PM, zenme said:

We had dogs growing up and it’s just torture when they die. That’s one of the biggest reasons why I don’t get a dog, even though I’d love their companionship. That plus I’m the main housekeeper in my house and I know all the responsibility would rest on me. 

My daughter had to cancel two vacations this year because their 15 yr old Lab is sick at home.  They won’t put him down as he still is eating.

• Love 7
On 7/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Retired at last said:

Right! No loving pet owner would agree to give up their pet for a STRANGER, married or not.

There is a lot of breed bias when it comes to dogs so putting someone who does not like dogs with someone who owns a Pitt is irresponsible. I’m afraid of large breed dogs mostly bc I don’t have much experience with them.  I have a dog (a Shih tzu puppy) and my stepmom will probably never visit again bc she doesn’t like dogs. I know I can never stay at my dad’s house with my dog bc she doesn’t even want dogs in her house. 

• Love 5

So much to be distracted by with Myrla. Gotta love the shady camera work, zooming in on her tracks! 😅😂 I never like the wedding dresses. This one was especially too revealing. Idk why she was showing that tattoo... A 2-for-1 distraction! If the fake boobs don't get your attention, the tattoo will!

• Love 2
On 7/29/2021 at 6:23 AM, kristen111 said:

Yeah, and I loved when he said he won’t have sex right away as he doesn’t love her yet.  He wants to when there’s something meaningful between them.  I agree with that.  What a great guy!  He’s too good for her and very sensitive.

I respect Myrla not kissing her stranger husband. Maybe she doesn't want to kiss until she likes him. 😅😂 I wonder how the photo shoot will go. I hope she won't look stiff & standoffish. She apparently got past his bald head. However, I vote them least likely to stay married. I doubt they'll make it the 8 weeks, but people rarely pull the plug so they'll prolly stick it out til Decision Day.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, For Cereals said:

I was thinking Hillary Swank...

ETA, after reading more, I can’t not see Carrot Top...I do like the shade of red hair, though.  

Add "WITH BOOBS" to any of these apt comparisons and they will be more accurate!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Lindz said:

However, I vote them least likely to stay married. I doubt they'll make it the 8 weeks, but people rarely pull the plug so they'll prolly stick it out til Decision Day

When she mentioned (in passing) when Gil inquired about her having children and she was quite equivocal stating that she'd have to engage in certain procedures to restore her pre-pregnancy body (very costly and never covered by insurance), I saw Gil's brain "explode" (in a most inconspicuous way as he's so classy). 

In my mind, his thoughts deriving from that statement set off a "doomsday clock" in his head.😅

HOWEVER, I agree that "...they'll prolly stick it out til Decision Day).

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

When she mentioned (in passing) when Gil inquired about her having children and she was quite equivocal stating that she'd have to engage in certain procedures to restore her pre-pregnancy body (very costly and never covered by insurance), I saw Gil's brain "explode" (in a most inconspicuous way as he's so classy).

https://www.rcbarrymd.com/4-post-pregnancy-plastic-surgery-procedures-to-consider

Plus the "lady bits" rejuvenation

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/17761-energy-based-treatments-and-vaginal-rejuvenation

Bao: Oh my gawd, Johnny...Myrla just told me about these 4 operations and multiple treatments after I gotta have to restore my body back to pre baby form...

Johnny: Wut? Can't you just do some Kegels, wear Skims if you want and  be okay that your body changed after incubating and birthing a human like 97% of all the women in the world?

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3

Ugh. Damn the editors! They cut some grooms greeting their new in-law(s)! That's not right! I looked down on them when they apparently didn't. So what Myrla's mom seemed cold! That's prolly who she got it from. 😅 Maybe they cut pre-wedding gifts as well. I wanna see that! They didn't show Michaela & Zack's gifts, if they sent each other any. Eh. I found her something blue impractical. Why not something wearable, like a pin?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

In my mind, his thoughts deriving from that statement set off a "doomsday clock" in his head.😅

HOWEVER, I agree that "...they'll prolly stick it out til Decision Day).

Aren’t a couple of kids more important than having a little pouch?  She should be happy if she can have them.  Some women can’t.  What a selfish thing of her to say.  Go powder your nose.  It’s too shiny.  Your forehead too.

• Love 9

Really hating the weddings taking so many episodes! 😩😣  I wonder when the new spouses ask about the other's parents being (or not) at the wedding. Michaela's hair looks bad in their slow-mo transition, they should go back to using wedding pics. Can't wait to see the spouses talk to their new spouses friends & family. 😄

• Love 2
On 7/31/2021 at 8:23 AM, topanga said:

I haven’t gotten the Jepthe “I married a STRANGER!” vibes from either one of them, at least not yet.

Even more interesting, looks like he gives Michaela a wedding lapdance... like Shawniece!! 😅 Guess he loosens up!

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Lindz said:

Really hating the weddings taking so many episodes! 😩😣  I wonder when the new spouses ask about the other's parents being (or not) at the wedding. Michaela's hair looks bad in their slow-mo transition, they should go back to using wedding pics. Can't wait to see the spouses talk to their new spouses friends & family. 😄

I think the Houston humidity took a toll on Michaela's sausage curls...not enough hairspray....

For those wondering why Zach's Dad told the others Michaela was a Husky, it refers to where she went to college Houston Baptist University.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 2
On 7/30/2021 at 4:16 PM, zenme said:

Really? I’ve worked for 2 school districts. If the principal gets bad reviews and a lot of teachers are leaving or has many complaints to the teacher’s union—our principal had over 100 last year, they can be moved. My cousin is a principal at one of those districts and she tells me those climate reports are important. 

I guess it depends on where you live - teachers here sub for years to get a job and wouldn't just leave for a bad principal.  And all of the admin is in general full of crap so they'll stick with each other, or perhaps just move one to another school.

If I were a betting person my $$ would be on Myrla being as shocked that Gil has a pit bull as he was shocked that she doesn't like dogs.  No one told them anything in advance.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, princelina said:

If I were a betting person my $$ would be on Myrla being as shocked that Gil has a pit bull as he was shocked that she doesn't like dogs.  No one told them anything in advance.

Of course they didn't! They didn't mention the dog, didn't mention he was bald (when she specifically "asked" or placed her order), didn't mention the difference in ages, etc. Once they decide who was selected, they just threw them together for drama and whatever happens. I truly don't believe the producers or anyone on the show goes back to discuss the matches with the people at all.

• Love 4

I think I’d be more mad if I were Gil. Myrla is a narcissistic a-hole. It’s one thing to be bald—but come on, he’s a good looking guy. You can’t put a hat or toupee on Myrla’s attitude.

• Love 13
On 7/28/2021 at 6:11 PM, kristen111 said:

Yes, she does resemble her.  The cleavage is a bit too low tho for a bride.  It’s the first thing you see.  Not classy.

it was ALL I could see. hahah

On 7/31/2021 at 12:12 PM, kristen111 said:

I like Brett also, but the guy they picked for her seems very quiet and a downer.  He doesn’t smile much at all.  Maybe he’s nervous .. I don’t know.  She might bring out the best in him,I hope.

I am also on team Brett... but then again my nickname is Captain Save a Ho!  i love me some girls who are tied to the tracks

• LOL 1
On 7/31/2021 at 3:12 PM, kristen111 said:

I believe his best friend died recently (in show time) so I think the downer thing we're seeing is grief - he just looks sad. I feel bad for him. I know firsthand that grief is a motherfucker, and to lose your friend when you're both young is that much worse. 

They say you shouldn't make big decisions for a year after a loss if you can help it, so I'm not sure going on this show was the best thing for him even though Brett does seem very nice and like she'll be willing to be patient and caring with him as he grieves.

• Love 6

Finally took a break from the Olympics to watch this, but now I'm not sure why. Some of my thoughts about what I saw:

Myrla is awful. The producers knew this. That is why she was cast. I 100% believe she was picked for drama and drama only. Poor Gil just didn't know he drew the short stick for being in the fake marriage this season. Sucks for him. I will be FF through their scenes because they will never ever make it.

I agree all of these dresses are boobtastic! If they like their boobs hanging out, more power to them, I guess. Bao's dress is beautiful though, maybe the prettiest dress ever on this show, which is a good thing since I think they are the only ones who will last. All the boob girls will only be married for 8 weeks, so who cares what they look like?

I think Brett sounds like Emma Stone. That hair is something though. There is red hair and then there is RED HAIR, and she has the latter. I wonder what she would look like with a more natural color? She seems sweet, but her groom is trouble. Why did he sign up for this instead of just finding a surrogate to help him get a kid?

I am pleasantly surprised by Zack and Michaela (spelling?). They are cute so far. I admit I teared up when her sisters gave her the "something blue". I have a smidge more hope for them than I had last week. I was getting Keith and Queen Kristine vibes from them. Maybe. Hopefully. We'll see.......

• Love 4

Is the boob thing a generational thing? I am 50, a teen in the 80s. Now I see butt cheeks hanging out of shorts, all kinds of boobs—cleavage, side boob, under boob….Is cleavage a requisite now?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, zenme said:

Is the boob thing a generational thing? I am 50, a teen in the 80s. Now I see butt cheeks hanging out of shorts, all kinds of boobs—cleavage, side boob, under boob….Is cleavage a requisite now?

I don't know that it's a requisite but I think the millennial and younger don't see the big deal about a flash of side boob or seeing nipples through a shirt.

• Love 4