Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Houston, We Have a Marriage

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, zenme said:

Look, I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with those things. I enjoy those things, but Myrla is an asshole, plain and simple. She’s rude and self-centered. Her tone I rude and when Gil complimented her, she couldn’t be bothered to say something nice back. Her attitude at her bachelorette party was stank. The shade to her friends about not wanting to look like them! That was mean! It’s clear she’d been poor is now trying to prove she’s worth it now. Her enjoyment of nice things is more about validating herself. I just feel bad for Gil. 

My son in law is a Fireman and is hardly home.  A fireman’s wife is alone a lot.  They are always working overtime or something.  She doesn’t look sympathetic and won’t like the fact that he can’t always take her to places when she wants.  She would have to sacrifice, and doesn’t look the type.  He looks too good for her.  The experts should have realized this.  She looks like she wants what she wants.  I feel sorry for him.  If I was young and single I would grab that guy in a heartbeat, lol.

• Love 22

Another thing that annoyed me about Myrla, was her asking Gil an Afro-latino if he spoke Spanish.  Didn't he tell her he was born in Colombia? That was just pure ignorance.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Me too.  One question ..does everyone here like Couples Cam?  I’m getting a little tired of seeing Anthony & Ashley taking videos of every little thing they do.  Jamie and Doug problems too.  It’s worse than watching someone’s home movies.  Maybe one show once a year would be enough.

I delete it without watching.  I don’t even watch Unfiltered.   Can’t stand Jamie and her too-small dresses. 

Myrla at the dress shop, trying to look all extra with her hood up. Ugh. 
I kind of feel like I missed an episode or something…I feel plunked down farther ahead of where it ended last week? 

• Love 10

I think Zack was delighted that Michaela was sizing him up like a side of delicious beef and he responded to that.  Then she tried to grab his junk.  He strikes me as insecure (I don't know why) and really sensitive, so maybe he appreciates the attention from her right now but it'll be interesting to see how he reacts in the next few weeks. 

The only couple I'm really rooting for so far is Bao/Johnny. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, spunky said:

Another thing that annoyed me about Myrla, was her asking Gil an Afro-latino if he spoke Spanish.  Didn't he tell her he was born in Colombia? That was just pure ignorance.

Just because he’s Colombian doesn’t mean he speaks Spanish. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, spunky said:

You'd think being able to communicate with her mother is a plus.  I feel that all of Myrla's people sensed that Gil was too good for her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

And why do the commercials show Virginia and Erik or are the rumors about them splitting not true?

Because those shows are all recorded already and they stayed together for the paycheck before they split for good. They are definitely done. I don't think they should have anyone on Couples' Cam (although I don't care because I don't watch it), who have been married for less than a year.

Now, my thoughts on the show. First, I agree with the disgust at the choice of wedding gowns. Those were horrible and all of those boobs needed to be in bras. Heavy duty bras!

I did not watch the initial shows so am just starting to know the people. I do not like Myrla, which is fine, because she likes herself enough for everyone. She reminds me of Olivia, who wanted to keep her life with no compromises, but just wants a plus-one to do what she wants. Gil seems wonderful and will soon tire of her. And if she dares to mistreat his dog, I think Gil will easily pick the dog over the bitch. But, by this time, we KNOW that pets are one of the biggest problem areas, so while being the only thing they have in common doesn't work (Olivia and Brett), they cannot put people together with pet preference differences and expect them to compromise. It doesn't work! I LOVE dogs and would never be without them, but might be reluctant to introduce mine into a house with a pit, although I have met several lovely pits. NO chance for this couple.

I was a little annoyed to be seeing more of Johnny and Bao since they took the entire show last week, but their tea ceremony was lovely and they looked amazing. I think if Bao could figure out how to remove the stick from her butt, and relax, she could have a great life. Johnny seems fun and happy. I also didn't like Bao's comment that she thought he was attractive and thought he thought she was, too, but, then, why wouldn't he? She MAY have been trying to be funny, but she wasn't. Yes, she is gorgeous, but that's not enough. We'll see how patient Johnny is.

Is Zack the one who kept crying? That was getting annoying and I don't think he will be able to keep up with Michaela. Also, she didn't appreciate his hobby of crocheting and making lotions. He may be a bit too soft for her?  But, they seemed happy to start with. I am guessing they will have wedding night  sex, whether he wants to or not!

Yes, Brett looks like Toni Collette, which is not a nice thing to say. However, once the make-up people did their thing, she looked amazing! Not too much, but just gorgeous. I don't think her husband will like her. He definitely did not like the way the bridesmaids looked when they entered the aisle. I don't know what her workout preferences are, but it is obviously something that takes up a lot of his time. (What is his name?)

Rachel. . . I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt as she has recently lost a lot of weight and is feeling good about herself, so she picked a dress that made her feel pretty, and might not have seen the way it really looked.  And, that new found confidence will be stripped away as soon as she meets her groom.

I hate that the show is taking so long to get through so many weddings. It looks like they are doing this season like last season, which means dragged out way longer than we are interested.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

And why do the commercials show Virginia and Erik or are the rumors about them splitting not true?

That was filmed before they split. The divorce papers were filed in June.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, zenme said:

Just because he’s Colombian doesn’t mean he speaks Spanish. 

It was her tone that bothered me. I've also met a few Afro-latinos who had to check people like Myrla because they assumed that a Black person couldn't speak Spanish.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I was surprised when she told him she’s some big shot in education administration or something.

I was too, and I didn't believe a word she said about being passionate about making sure all kids get a quality education or whatever BS she said. Her job is about power and it's very clear. Now, I was wrong about New Orleans Woody, so I am willing to maybe give her a shot, because editing can do a lot of damage, but her tone was not edited and it did not come across as sincere in the least. She's a pain in the ass and even her girlfriends seemed to know that. Also, I was so distracted by her boobs I didn't even see her makeup. Props to Gil for being able to make eye contact with her at all. 

Edited by sara416
I had more thoughts
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, JapMo said:

No, I'm worried he signed up due to the death of his friend.  I mean, was it a sudden death?  That shock of getting a phone call out of the blue can completely upend someone's life...sometimes for years.  If the person was similar in age as you, it can put you in a deep funk and have you questioning the meaning of everything.  It can also propel you to sign up to marry a stranger because you just got a cold splash of reality in your face that life is short and you are afraid of being alone. 

Yeah, this concerns me too. I think it was a sudden death, and even if it wasn't, as you say, the death of someone close to you in age, especially if you're "not old enough to die," will have you rattled. (And even if you are - when my grandparents got to their 80s and all their friends and siblings started dying, it was a hard time for them. When my grandfather died and I was going through their address book to send out funeral announcements, I was humbled by how many had "deceased" written next to their names.) He looks like he's still in the throes of grief and that's not a good time to make major life changes if you can help it. He looks very sad all the time. I understand the impetus and Brett seems like she's kind enough to be able to handle it (if he'd been matched with Myrna I think it would be a different story), but I'm not sure this is a good idea for him at this time in his life.

1 hour ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

You'd think being able to communicate with her mother is a plus.  I feel that all of Myrla's people sensed that Gil was too good for her.

I liked the moment when Gil (very warmly, I thought) introduced himself to Myrna's mother and brother, realized her mother didn't speak English, and spoke Spanish with her. You could tell Myrna's brother was prepared to translate and relaxed when he didn't have to.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 15
14 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

And she’s already complaining about how long the wedding is and insisting on a mommy makeover. She better be nice to that dog. 

After awhile, he’ll probably throw her out and keep the dog .. I hope.

• Love 8

Having read through most of the comments here, I'm super surprised by the backlash against the plunging necklines and revealing bridal gowns. It's not the 1950s anymore. 

My unpopular opinion is that I liked Myrla's gown and thought it was great. I think she may be getting a bad edit, so I'm willing to watch a few more episodes before giving up on her.  She got a husband who is bald (something she didn't ask for) and further more he's a fireman with a pit bull dog (cliche much?) so that's a lot to take in at the altar. 

I loved that Gil spoke Spanish to her mother, and I liked that they had some things in common when they spoke. I'm giving them a chance, even though the start may be a bit rough.

Also, I wouldn't want my eyebrows as big as her bridesmaid's were.  ;) 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, qtpye said:

However, I do think that Myrla asked for a rich man with hair and no dogs....so they gave her the exact opposite.

Myrla also said she wanted a tall dark and handsome man.  They delivered on that 🙂.    I have a feeling Myrla gave a laundry list of preferences.   There was no way they'd find someone who met all those requirements.  Instead I think they tried to find someone that hit the important qualities on the check list.  And hairstyle and dog ownership (unless she expressly stated she had severe allergies or fears) aren't that important.    I'm not a dog lover at all, but it's not something that would be a deal breaker for a relationship.   In fact if Gil had a full head of hair, and was a lawyer, the dog subject might not have been an issue for her at all.   

3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Of course Mylar had to have a specific gown and needed to call all over Houston until she got exactly what she wanted. 
She said all she needed was her perfect dress and didn’t care about the rest of the wedding.
How perfectly narcissistic and spoilt of her Highness.

I'd replace wedding for marriage.   She just wanted the dress and a convenient companion.  Not a marriage.     

On Unfiltered, Jamie asked her about her stank attitude at the bachelorette party.   She said she didn't enjoy it and wanted something more classy.   From the woman who wore a stripper dress with the tatas on full display to her wedding.   

Such a killjoy.  Her friends seem like fun.  Certainly there's a fun side to her somewhere.  Hopefully they will show it at some point.  

• Love 10

Don’t know where to post this, as it’s not episode related, but:

Not only have Erik & Virginia called it quits….so have Ryan & Clara.  

I loved seeing the tea ceremony.  Delightful to see that custom, integrating both families with respect.  I hope we can see Bao & Johnny go to California to help his father get on board. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Never heard of "Ryan" as a girl's name. "Brett," yes. 

Wanna waste a LOT of time?  Go to the Social Security Administration's website of popularity of baby names, with data dating back to 1900.  It's fascinating.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

"Brett" has been in the top 1000 girl names once: in 1986, it was #918.  Interestingly, 1986 was the high water mark for "Ryan" for girls, too, although it's been in the top 1000 every year starting in 1974.  (The variation "Ryann" is accounted for separately, and didn't appear until 1989.)

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Dogs have feelings, they are highly evolved creatures, and acting that way about them is IMO ignorant and classless.  This is a creature her groom loves. 

If he loves his dog, he shouldn't let it watch this stupid show--emotional crisis averted.

5 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Speaking from experience, most of the people at church are already married or in relationships.

Maybe things have changed.  Years ago I had experiences with a large Baptist church that had separate Sunday School classes for married and single young adults, and there was a lot of dating among the singles.  It seems to me that church would be a perfect hunting ground if religion is important to someone.

4 hours ago, Rightside said:

[Myrla's] dress actually could have been pretty with fabric added from the waist up.

Those cup things in Myrla's dress were beyond tacky.  I'll never understand why it's desirable, never mind important, to have a bodice that is unlined, especially if you have to have those things in there.

1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

I also didn't like Bao's comment that she thought he was attractive and thought he thought she was, too, but, then, why wouldn't he? She MAY have been trying to be funny, but she wasn't. Yes, she is gorgeous, but that's not enough.

I like Bao, so I'm biased, but I thought it was hilarious.  I don't get the feeling that she thinks she's gorgeous.  When she tried on her dress, she said something like, "Oh, I look pretty!"  Like it was kind of a surprise.

1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

Yes, Brett looks like Toni Collette, which is not a nice thing to say.

Toni Collette mixed with Carrot Top.  Oh, wait.

Actually, I think she's cute.  But I thought Mindy the ice skater was cute, too. 

9 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Also, I wouldn't want my eyebrows as big as her bridesmaid's were.  ;)

Me, neither.  When she said it I was taken aback, but then realized she was speaking some truth.  Those eyebrows are all the rage these days, and who knows how much input the bridesmaids had in their makeup?  Maybe they didn't like them either but figured it wasn't worth it to fight it because they're just bridesmaids in a wedding celebrating a marriage that statistically is doomed.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

On Unfiltered, Jamie asked her about her stank attitude at the bachelorette party.   She said she didn't enjoy it and wanted something more classy.   

Have to agree with her there, the bachelorette party was kind of lame. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I like Bao, so I'm biased, but I thought it was hilarious.  I don't get the feeling that she thinks she's gorgeous.  When she tried on her dress, she said something like, "Oh, I look pretty!"  Like it was kind of a surprise.

I thought it was funny too, and honestly, even if she thinks she's gorgeous, so what? She looked beautiful on her wedding day - so what if she knew it? We should all find ourselves attractive. I think "why wouldn't they be attracted to me?" is a healthier attitude than "there's no way they could be attracted to me."

Having said that, I don't think she thinks of herself that way - I think she thinks of herself as kind of awkward and nerdy, and her appearance is secondary to that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Having read through most of the comments here, I'm super surprised by the backlash against the plunging necklines and revealing bridal gowns.

I'll take anything over the 'never have a drink out of their hand' brides from last year.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Can’t stand Jamie and her too-small dresses. 

Geeze, even her sleeves were tight, the cameraman was shooting her from the side catching an unflattering glimpse of her upper thigh, I am sure if she watched that episode she would never make that mistake twice.

Shouldn't one of the producers pull her aside and go over her wardrobe choices?  Maybe she needs to hire a stylist or go to a nice store that has a personal shopper.

That said, I do not hate her in the moderator role, she does a good job asking good questions.

The bride that got matched with the bald dog owner, it would be hard for me to marry him, I am petrified of pit bulls.  Do the experts think logically when making the matches or they just names in a hat and make their matches?  They have questionable match ups.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, sara416 said:

I was too, and I didn't believe a word she said about being passionate about making sure all kids get a quality education or whatever BS she said. Her job is about power and it's very clear.

Pure virtue signaling. Not even close to being genuine.

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm scared to death of pit bulls so I can understand Myrla's hesitancy about having one.  I also understood her not liking that skanky bachelorette party.   Aside from those things, so far I don't like her.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

The double secret requests for a tea ceremony with awesome custom wedding wardrobe just enhanced their chances for staying married.

I call shenanigans on the "Oh, you want a tea ceremony?! Me too!" How did they both have outfits to change into for the ceremony?

2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

My unpopular opinion is that I liked Myrla's gown and thought it was great. I think she may be getting a bad edit, so I'm willing to watch a few more episodes before giving up on her.  

I thought she looked beautiful and sexy. The gown was her style. She likes sexiness. I loved her hair at the wedding, much better than the sleek (and greasy) middle part she wears on a daily basis.

I also want to give Myrla a chance, mainly because she is originally from the part of Texas I am from. I read that she grew up in Roma, Tx. While in high school, I travelled with my school to Roma to compete and found that it is a very small and poor city. Maybe that has some bearing on her relationship with money now as an adult. I also got a kick when she called her brother Junior. That is so common in Mexican American culture. Another thing that is common in our area is parents that speak solely Spanish. Teenagers have to do a lot of translating for their parents. I found some aspects of Myrla very relatable, so I can't help but give her the benefit of the doubt, for now.

52 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Have to agree with her there, the bachelorette party was kind of lame. 

lol. I wouldn't call it lame, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not all about dancing with strippers and acting goofy. I can sit at a table and talk your ear off and have you laughing with my observational humor, but if you try to drag me to the dance floor, I will shut down. 

34 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The bride that got matched with the bald dog owner, it would be hard for me to marry him, I am petrified of pit bulls.  

This! Why did it have to be a pit bull? And as people say, dogs sense fear.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

It's not about "hate," I'm just afraid of them.

I don’t hate pit bulls either, but I just don’t trust them. Definitely not one of the first hundred on my list of favorite dog breeds. I’m a dog person, I know the old cliche about “it’s not the dog, it’s the dog owner,” but certain breeds have certain behaviors that are hard-wired into them no matter how well-trained they are by a competent trainer or owner. Shepherds want to herd, greyhounds want to run, terriers want to yip, beagles want to sniff, etc. 

That being said, I do hope Gil’s dog (Hype?) chews up its share of Myrla’s Manolo Blanik shoes.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

I'm hating all the Pit Bull hate on this thread.  

15 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

It's not about "hate," I'm just afraid of them.

As Oprah once said on her show many moons ago, there are only two emotions -- love and fear.

We don't hate pitbulls. We fear them.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Rightside said:

Does anyone think Myrla looks a little like Jamie Otis?  And I mean a small amount.

Just a little, from a distance, if maybe your contacts were in the wrong eyes.

lol. I said this in last week's thread. I even put side by side photos. 😂

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I don’t hate pit bulls either, but I just don’t trust them. Definitely not one on the first hundred on my list of favorite dog breeds. I’m a dog person, I know the old cliche about “it’s not the dog, it’s the dog owner,” but certain breeds have certain behaviors that are hard-wired into them no matter how well-trained they are by a competent trainer or owner. Shepherds want to herd, greyhounds want to run, terriers want to yip, beagles want to sniff, etc. 

That being said, I do hope Gil’s dog (Hype?) chews up its share of Myrla’s Manolo Blanik shoes.

Pits are not "hard wired" to be aggressive toward people.  They've been mistreated and trained to be aggressive toward other dogs.  

• Love 6

does everyone here like Couples Cam? 

Nope. I don’t even read the thread. Didn’t like half of them originally. 

Run, Gill, and take your sweet dog with you. Long-time friends are on their third rescue pit, each was sweeter than the previous one. Used to be called nanny dogs and these three loved the kids and now their kids. I’m aware that horrible people are cruel to them/train them to fight (FU, Michael Vick), but that’s not on the breed. Betting I’ll like Gill’s pup more than his temporary wife.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

On Unfiltered, Michaela looked like she didn’t have a chance to change out of the outfit from her second job at the strip club.  

I have a feeling she’s going to jump him on the wedding night.  He’s either going to be delighted or mortified.  Hahaha.  Can’t wait.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Oh, the dresses! I actually liked Myrla's dress (not her, she's terrible).  It was way too young for her, but it was actually a beautiful and well-made dress that fit her nicely.  I don't mind any of the brides showing as much skin as they like, really--but Brett's boobies did NOT look good. Honey, those things can't go without a bra! Bao looked the best of course. 

I think Bao and Jonny have a good shot and their wedding was cute.

Gil seems like a gem! Poor guy getting stuck with Myrla who really thinks she's hot shit, in the glamourous world of ...education consulting. She appears to think she's Carrie Bradshaw circa late 90s. Stringy hair and bad skin, hates dogs. And I know its off topic but our pittie mix is the sweetest, best girl in the whole wide world. Our baby chicks snuggle up to her to sleep.

Michela and Zach seem ok for now.  Good chemistry will get you far, but she might hurt his feelings too much.

I have a bad feeling about the other two.  Whoever marries the horrible Jose is screwed, he pings my gaydar also. And I don't think Ryan is going to like Brett, who seems sweet but isn't cute enough for him, and he won't be romantic enough for her.

Good times!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I wasn't sure about Gil at first, but after the wedding, he really seems like a catch. My only hesitation would be the pit bull. I've heard all the arguments about mistreatment and nanny dogs, but I've also seen the stats. They kill more humans than every other breed combined. I'm not super interested in playing those odds, regardless of why it's happening. They could be intergalactic freedom fighters, avenging their ancestors from another dimension, but it doesn't matter if I don't have a face anymore.

I also have cats who would never be safe in a home with any pit-type dog, but Myrla doesn't, even though it sounds like a cat named her, so not a problem there. She's just a sour, unpleasant person who thinks too highly of herself. I'm glad she doesn't have any pets!

I also enjoyed Gil being able to speak to Myrla's mom, but I felt like she didn't seem that happy or relieved. In fact, she came across as rather unenthused or maybe bewildered by the whole event, but hopefully I'm misinterpreting. We haven't seen much of her, so I could be way off.

With Zack/Michaela and Johnny/Bao, I kept getting whiplash from their responses during the weddings and receptions. Zack and Johnny both seemed mostly thrilled, but occasionally terrified. Michaela seemed almost totally thrilled, except her bizarre non-reaction to the crochet anecdote. Bao, I just don't have the same impression of her as most people and I don't want to seem like a troll, so I'll just... smile weakly.

Ryan seems like such an utterly joyless person, but it could be grief. Maybe he wasn't always like that. I think Brett is gorgeous, but I'm a straight woman with notoriously unpopular taste in women, so feel free to ignore that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

lol. I said this in last week's thread. I even put side by side photos. 😂

I just found your post!! Jamie has gained a lot of weight, but the face pics were good!!

I think a younger Jamie and a younger Myrla (pic above) might look more a like. Before the fake eyelashes!

Edited by Rightside
(edited)
On 7/29/2021 at 12:28 PM, Blissfool said:

I call shenanigans on the "Oh, you want a tea ceremony?! Me too!" How did they both have outfits to change into for the ceremony?

In Houston, there is large Vietnamese community so there are designers who can whip up traditional wedding outfits quickly. Especially if it is for a teevee show, albeit a basic cable one. They most likely both went to get measured for custom made wedding outfits made as soon as they were cast.

Bao chose red with gold for her dress and hat.

Bao’s designer, Danny Nguyen (the guy in the blue suit and handle bar ‘satche) is seen helping her get ready.

Johnny’s suit/coat and hat was made in his preferred colors wine and rose gold.

It made me laugh that Bao was happiest when she saw the pig on the gift table…Johnny got that very important detail right…

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, spunky said:

It was her tone that bothered me. I've also met a few Afro-latinos who had to check people like Myrla because they assumed that a Black person couldn't speak Spanish.

Oh her tone is always shitty. I have a strong dislike for her.  It’s almost an irrational dislike, but then she always does something else where I say, “Nah. It’s not irrational.”

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, sara416 said:

I was too, and I didn't believe a word she said about being passionate about making sure all kids get a quality education or whatever BS she said. Her job is about power and it's very clear. Now, I was wrong about New Orleans Woody, so I am willing to maybe give her a shot, because editing can do a lot of damage, but her tone was not edited and it did not come across as sincere in the least. She's a pain in the ass and even her girlfriends seemed to know that. Also, I was so distracted by her boobs I didn't even see her makeup. Props to Gil for being able to make eye contact with her at all. 

This is so true. Myrla’s answer was THE answer many people in our give. (I’m a teacher, not a principal.) Myrla also seems like a power tripping asshole. I can’t stand those kinds of “leaders.”

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

In Houston, there is large Vietnamese community so there are designers who can whip up traditional wedding outfits quickly. Especially if it is for a teevee show, albeit a basic cable one. They most likely both went to get measured for custom made wedding outfits made as soon as they were cast.

Yeah, I get that the outfits could be made quickly, BUT neither Johnny nor Bao knew that the other would request a tea ceremony as part of the reception. What if Bao said "I want a tea ceremony" and an unprepared Johnny said, "Uh, I don't have the required wardrobe for that."

Because both had the required wardrobe ready to change into, I think that it was previously planned.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I don't think Myrla wants to embrace her Latina background.  If I were Gil and if he knew his future wife was Latina, I probably would have greeted her in Spanish. 

Many times, Mexican Americans get offended when this happens because the other person is assuming that the person doesn't know English.

When I first speak to one of my student's parents, I'll say something along the lines of "Good morning. English or Spanish?" and then proceed.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Yeah, I get that the outfits could be made quickly, BUT neither Johnny nor Bao knew that the other would request a tea ceremony as part of the reception. What if Bao said "I want a tea ceremony" and an unprepared Johnny said, "Uh, I don't have the required wardrobe for that."

Because both had the required wardrobe ready to change into, I think that it was previously planned.

The producers made it happen, probably even asked both Bao and Johnny if they were planning on a tea ceremony if one of them hadn’t expressed interest in it. After all, they needed to fill the time since there are only five couples getting married this season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Producer shenannies and teevee magic that they both were wardrobe ready….with the distinct possibility that the producers heavily suggested a cultural aspect could be included to the usual bland cookie cutter reception.

Previews show that Johnny and Bao will have a 3 mini dragon dance as part of the reception entertainment….that is usually a Chinese celebration so Johnny’s Dad missed out on the aspect that may have been to honor his ancestral heritage.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I'm willing to bet that the tea ceremony was pre-planned as soon as Asian contestants were selected.  If there wasn't a perfect match, I'm sure Bao would have been "introducing her non-Asian new husband to her culture" as part of her storyline.

Absolutely right….Production would have gone out and bought a wedding tunic off the rack to fit whoever was chosen as Bao’s groom.

Also correct that Bao was cast first and Johnny was chosen for her….

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6