Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: And the Firm Had Two Partners...

• Start Topic

Liz and Carmen represent Oscar Rivi, who is suing Harbor Hospital over the wrongful death of his daughter. Jay's investigation of the case triggers some PTSD that forces him to dig deeper into his own experience with Covid. With Madeline Starkey still hell-bent on getting Kurt to come clean, Diane decides to take matters into her own hands.

Original air date: July 22, 2021

I realize it doesn't help Rivi's case, but watching Race Horse (the nickname alone makes you want to hit him)  get his face smashed in was very satisfying.  

Also, don't mess with Diane.  She is fierce and will probably cut you if given the chance.   

• Love 2

Ok no way could Racehorse take Rivi’s deposition if the attorney for the defendant (even the defendant’s “first” attorney) has already taken it, at least not without a motion to the court and good cause (more than I just wanna).  No attorney would allow their client to be deposed twice (except when a deposition isn’t finished the first day).  So that whole scene was BS.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Wow, the series about how to be a moral and ethical compass shows how 3 persons are fired for "racial slurs" without any investigation? 

Not to mention the apocalyptic vision of a COVID-19 ward, and yet no one wears masks  when Jay visits the hospital?

Kings  definitely can do better than this.  

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Also, don't mess with Diane.  She is fierce and will probably cut you if given the chance.   

She gets shit done.  She is ride or die and always looks so fabulous while doing it.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I realize it doesn't help Rivi's case, but watching Race Horse (the nickname alone makes you want to hit him)  get his face smashed in was very satisfying.  

If only he was a more sympathetic client, but he is a drug kingpin and a murderer and they are all scared of what he might do. The only reason the firm represents him is because he has money. Hmmm. I didn't find that story all that satisfying other than the horrifying hospital "pit" scenes where people without resources were relegated to die.  That part was incredibly well-written and acted and terrifying.

And I felt the resolution to Diane and Kurt's story was also somewhat limp, because I was enjoying the suspense of wondering just what the FBI was really after, Kurt or the firm's files on Rivi, or both.  I think to resolve Kurt's involvement should have taken more than one terse conversation from Diane in a car.  (Maybe the story isn't really resolved, and will reappear later in the season. We'll see.) 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, cardigirl said:

If only he was a more sympathetic client, but he is a drug kingpin and a murderer and they are all scared of what he might do. The only reason the firm represents him is because he has money. Hmmm. I didn't find that story all that satisfying other than the horrifying hospital "pit" scenes where people without resources were relegated to die.  That part was incredibly well-written and acted and terrifying.

Wasn't it already made clear that the hospital did all they could for the daughter? So why the firm is continueing in the case, when the real case would be those who died of neglect or at least the reason how they were chosen?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Wasn't it already made clear that the hospital did all they could for the daughter? So why the firm is continueing in the case, when the real case would be those who died of neglect or at least the reason how they were chosen?

Because they weren't continuing the case  after that was made clear. The firm's client was Rivi who was seeking compensation about his daughter's treatment. No one was fighting for the people in the pit. 

• Love 1

Jay still having the hallucinations was starting to annoy me because I thought it was too easy an out for implausible plot points. However, the question of hallucinations versus memories is a valid issue IMO. Wonder how many long-haulers are having to deal with it?

Yeah, Jay will get on that, assuming Carmen swings his way--or swings at all. 😉 Interesting that the naked woman he keeps having visions of is like Carmen's physical opposite. Perhaps it's not about Carmen at all.

Racehorse Diaz? Was that an homage to Racehorse Haynes, the famed/notorious Houston criminal defense attorney?

"...a land called None of Your Fcuking Business." Whoo, Liz was on fire this episode. She got off a lot of good zingers.

Jay is lucky he got out of that hospital alive. Wonder how many similar people have died mainly because no one was allowed to maintain contact with or look out for them from the outside? Especially people in nursing homes.

TMW you're captured on camera beating down the opposition's attorney and threatening his life. There goes the settlement! But Rivi made a mistake pursuing that case. He had to know they'd bring up his criminal life.

Glad things worked out for Diane and Kurt. I think they really do look out for each other despite their fundamental differences. If that FBI woman hadn't been so aggressive with Diane her case against Kurt might have held up.

• Love 3

For a minute there, I thought the show was going to go all Sixth Sense on me and Jay was really dying in the pit and all the law firm stuff has been him hallucinating. When he was staring at his hands in the deposition, I thought they would start disappearing as would he. That would have been a totally cool and shocking episode. However, I like him, so I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Legal question: In a deposition, are there no limits to how irrelevant a line of questioning is allowed to be? The case was about whether the hospital was liable for Rivi's daughter's death--not about who ran the drug operation while Rivi was in jail! It made even less sense for Racehorse to go there since he'd already won. (It was clear the daughter got the best care possible.) I realize in a deposition there's no judge to rule on an objection, but really, are there no legal limits?

In other news, Racehorse made Roland Blum seem likable.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

I read about The Pit in hospitals last year during the height of the second wave. Horrifying.  I'm really glad that they did it on the show, it's something everyone should know about so it ends.

I really liked the resolution to Kurt's legal problems. He and Diane may disagree politically but they have each other's backs.

• Love 5
On 7/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Legal question: In a deposition, are there no limits to how irrelevant a line of questioning is allowed to be? The case was about whether the hospital was liable for Rivi's daughter's death--not about who ran the drug operation while Rivi was in jail! It made even less sense for Racehorse to go there since he'd already won. (It was clear the daughter got the best care possible.) I realize in a deposition there's no judge to rule on an objection, but really, are there no legal limits?

In other news, Racehorse made Roland Blum seem likable.

There are pretty wide latitudes in deposition as in most states, the parties can ask questions that may lead to the discovery of admissible evidence.  who might have run a plaintiffs business while a plaintiff was indisposed, for example, could lead to relevant evidence.  of course, in this particular case, the attorney would not allow Rivi to answer that particular question.  

• Love 1

I hate to think of how many birds have been sacrificed at the window of the FBI agent.  
I didn’t know that hallucinations were a part of long covid.  That image was haunting, of them all dying in that room.  Oh, that was a memory.  He would have died, If someone hadn’t called the hospital? Wow.  :(
I would like to see the FBI on the same side as the company, for once.  Instead of having this woman pop up against them. 

Edited by Anela