Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: Of Ice and Men

• Start Topic

Sig makes a desperate bid to save his gear from the descending ice pack while Jake dumps pots to avoid capsize. When Wild Bill gets a line caught in his propeller far from Dutch Harbor, he enlists Jake's diver to attempt a risky underwater repair.

The crane goes down and Sig starts yelling.   All ready to rip someone a new one.   Until he realizes its his brother at the controls.   Then he is all apologetic.   Dude, either the crane operator was at fault or something else went wrong.   Who was at the controls doesn't matter.  

A lot of mishaps.   Did they all forget how to fish during Covid?

Yaay Jake has 2 divers on board.   Boo but no gear.   Ummm??????    

Everybody hauling everyone else's gear this year.   It's the Year of Collaboration.   

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The crane goes down and Sig starts yelling.   All ready to rip someone a new one.   Until he realizes its his brother at the controls.   Then he is all apologetic.   Dude, either the crane operator was at fault or something else went wrong.   Who was at the controls doesn't matter.   

I got the feeling that Sig's first thought was that someone without adequate experience was on the crane during that horrendous weather, and the inexperience was the reason for the crane accident.  When he saw that Norm was on the crane, he calmed down because he assumed that whatever happened was unavoidable. 

I thought it was interesting at first when Sig yelled, "Why wasn't my brother on the controls?"  So . . . is there a possibility that Edgar is still working the Northwestern, but just not on camera???  I know that Norm is a regular as well, but why wouldn't Sig just yell, "Why wasn't NORM on the controls?"  Hmmmm.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I got the feeling that Sig's first thought was that someone without adequate experience was on the crane during that horrendous weather, and the inexperience was the reason for the crane accident.  When he saw that Norm was on the crane, he calmed down because he assumed that whatever happened was unavoidable. 

I thought it was interesting at first when Sig yelled, "Why wasn't my brother on the controls?"  So . . . is there a possibility that Edgar is still working the Northwestern, but just not on camera???  I know that Norm is a regular as well, but why wouldn't Sig just yell, "Why wasn't NORM on the controls?"  Hmmmm.

Edgar is still on the NW.  Mandy has posted pictures of him working.  Discovery does not show him nor is there any mention of him.  I had heard that was part of the deal.  Edgar really screwed up a lot of people's lives with his actions.

• Love 1

This was a great ep.  A couple of Disco fantasy elements, but overall it was fascinating with legit tension.

If Jake A. was top-heavy and was forced to drop his pots 80 miles from their target, when the ship was acting normally, with what looked to be half of the pots, ice-free, still aboard, why didn't he take off for the original grounds with those?  Why did he set everything he had blindly?

Harley did not make an extra $63K.  He simply got that much closer, more quickly, to filling his quota.  Sig just had to spend more time to get his quota.  Also, the last we saw of Sig hauling was that those pots "near" the floe, were massive with crab.  Harley got there days later (more soaking time) and they were yielding nowhere near what Sig was harvesting.  Hmmmm.

Last week, you may recall, Mike Rowe intoned that Sig's pots were within 10 miles of the floe.  In this ep, the closest was 35 miles, and it was not clear if they were Sig's.  A reverse polar vortex, y'all!

I enjoyed the radio calls with the St. Paul Harbor Master.  Very casual, but deadly serious.  Did that waiting F/V not get the memo about the fleet being at stake and that they all had to bind together in one great cause?

I know I take the phenomenal videography on this show for granted.  I have to give props for the footage of the rope on Bill's prop and shaft being removed.  and yes, despite the issues I listed, this ep really was pretty great overall.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2021 at 2:48 PM, AZChristian said:

When he saw that Norm was on the crane, he calmed down because he assumed that whatever happened was unavoidable. 

I love Norman! I wish there was more footage of him and  when he is in, it’s usually great. But, unlike some (Josh, cough) he is there to work and is very serious about his job. I’m sure Sig trusts him 100% which probably explained why he calmed down. 

On 7/21/2021 at 2:59 PM, iluvobx said:

Edgar is still on the NW.  Mandy has posted pictures of him working.  Discovery does not show him nor is there any mention of him.  I had heard that was part of the deal.  Edgar really screwed up a lot of people's lives with his actions.

Oh Edgar…. I just loved the banter on the Northwestern and the show hasn’t been the same since they wrote him off the series. I totally understand why they did that though. A great and fun reality-tv personality but a guy you must stay away from as far as you can in real life as he is nothing but trouble!

• Love 2