Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Demons

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The gang finally return to Cal U after a global pandemic stalls their senior year. In order to graduate, Zoey needs to secure an internship and must face Rochelle in the process.

Airdate: 07/22/2021

Zoey is so incredibly selfish that it is painful. My friend "Tess" was the Rochelle in a situation like that, and telling her almost put her in a mental hospital. Finding out she had been cheated on and lied to and used just sent Tess spiraling into a complete breakdown. When I saw the episode and heard "dumped for someone as shady and backstabbing as you" and how uncomfortable she had felt for months (and yes, Tess actually did have to help the Zoey figure in the equation several times, same industry, and Tess was just as professional and kind) my heart broke for both Rochelle and Tess. 

I'm not saying Rochelle would take it that badly, but it's still a noxious thing to do. And to do it publicly, at Rochelle's workplace? Shameful and shameless. 

Yes, Ana is a little crazy and self-righteous but we aren't meant to admire her for it. 

Zoey wants to believe she's a good person but she really isn't. She does what she wants, a pox on the consequences or the hurt feelings in her wake, and then has surprised Pikachu-face and acts like a martyr when she's forced to deal with the consequences of her action. I wanted to Jazz and Sky to clap at her "You are not the victim here." 

Nomi has a disturbing amount of free time for a single mother of a baby. At least they could have had Phil share joint custody or have her parents take the cutie so it explains how she can sit around so much, and even go to Mexico. My goddaughter is the literal light of my life, but unless she's napping, she's non-stop supervision. 

And at Luna's age, babies aren't napping 16 hour days.  

Jazz not wanting to run is one of the best storylines, she's a talented young woman (oh god, I realize how old I sound) and she would do well in so many careers. I love Sky and Jazz so much. They have grown so much over the show and they are my favorite characters, they are strong and smart and I root for them. 

• Love 9

Zoey was pulling a total Carrie Bradshaw in this episode. Carrie slept with a married man in the bed he shared with his wife, wife caught her in the apt (where she was wandering around in her underwear, eating food out of their fridge), fled, wife chased her, fell, broke a tooth, etc etc. Ugly. And then later Carrie just could not deal with somebody hating her as much as the now ex-wife did and stalked her in order to ‘apologize’ to her, when really, it was just all about trying to make herself feel better. Selfish, myopic, delusional behavior, and I could see Zoey doing all of the above, while still convinced she’s a good person and doing the right thing. Ugh. Poor Rochelle. She handled it so much more professionally and nicely than I ever could have.

dunno what Zoey was wearing last nite. White bow’d suspenders?

It never occurred to Vivek he might get kicked out school for a drug charge?

“Surprised Pikachu-face” Baha.

• Love 5

Zoey felt bad about not being liked, she didn't seem to feel bad at all about what she did to Rochelle. I liked that they finally had her say it suddenly dawned on her that you can't just say you're sorry and have no consequences, but I still think the show is making light of shitty character and bad behavior. She got off with no consequences for stealing in Mexico, she's basically free of conscience and just shrugging off that she fucked up really badly with Rochelle. I think the show thinks spoiled rich kids act badly because it's just normal for people to be shitty,  but it makes me increasingly sick to watch. 

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Zoey felt bad about not being liked, she didn't seem to feel bad at all about what she did to Rochelle. I liked that they finally had her say it suddenly dawned on her that you can't just say you're sorry and have no consequences, but I still think the show is making light of shitty character and bad behavior. She got off with no consequences for stealing in Mexico, she's basically free of conscience and just shrugging off that she fucked up really badly with Rochelle. I think the show thinks spoiled rich kids act badly because it's just normal for people to be shitty,  but it makes me increasingly sick to watch. 

This episode was peak Zoey, how does this girl have any friends at all?? Nomi said it best, you're not wiping anything clean, you're just dumping your shit on someone else, someone who 100% doesn't deserve it. 

She should be extra embarrassed by Rochelle's measured professionalism vs her teenage melodrama. And yeah, what was she waiting for?  Rochelle to forgive her and make her feel better? Or did her ego need to see how hurt Rochelle was so she could feel superior while pretending to be sorry? I really can't stand her.

Also, is the marriage thing sticking or what? Are they just time jumping over the fallout of that choice the same way they time jumped over Covid? 

I just commented on the last episode that I missed the school dynamic and how it seemed like they weren't even in college anymore with the divergent storylines, but this sudden left turn back into Zoey the college student was a little jarring too. The whole "it's my senior year" feels a little strange when between her academic probation and her sojourn into the working world, it seem impossible that she's actually a graduating senior.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Also, is the marriage thing sticking or what? Are they just time jumping over the fallout of that choice the same way they time jumped over Covid? 

In the last episode,  Zoey VO'd that the marriage wasn't actually legal or binding, so no, they aren't married 

• Love 2

I used to enjoy this show. I have nothing in common with this demographic in age, ethnicity or skin color, yet i always felt drawn to know more about these characters. Even if Zoe was self-involved, she was interesting to me.  As were others (except Luka. I never liked him but understood the appeal). 

Now? Each character is ridiculous and self involved, Zoe being the worst. Part of her appeal, to me, was the actress, but the character now annoys me too much. 

also: didn’t she drop out at least one semester?  How is it her senior year?

I was interested in how Anna and Javi (spelling?) would navigate their relationship, but not now. 
Vivek was likeable in small doses, and I liked that he matured a tiny bit last year. But if course he is expelled now. 
I used to LOVE Nomi, until last year. 

I used to not be that interested in Jazz and Skye, but now I think the possibility of figuring out who she is without running/track could be a very interesting exploration for Jazz…but not if she is going to act like she is crazy for the red shirt. ☹️

what happened to my sweet show?

• Love 8

So obviously we're just in an alternate universe here where Covid didn't emerge until summer 2020, ended (completely!) by Spring 2021, and Zoey spent that time cooped up at home with Bow and Dre despite never seeing her (that I can remember) on Black-ish during the brief few episodes where they addressed the pandemic. Ok then. Also, the Olympics took place in summer 2020 as planned and Sky is...still in Tokyo? I missed where they said she was this ep, but last ep they said she was still there. I mean...

I didn't quite understand the point of showing Vivek's interaction with that guy at the community service bus or why he told Vivek to choose the pressure washer over the scrubber or whatever it was if we didn't see what actually happened. Nor did I understand the purpose of making his afternoon "sound really gay" if there wasn't gonna be any follow up. 

I don't have any other real thoughts on this episode. Just watching now to see how it all wraps up.

• Love 2
On 7/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, Blueeyedgirl said:

also: didn’t she drop out at least one semester?  How is it her senior year?

I thought she was gone for a whole year! But the time lapse has always been vague on this show. I did think I heard her say she had 12 more classes before her degree, so that tracks, but maybe I'm misremembering and she said 12 credits? Which would track for a senior in her last semester, and would therefore not make the slightest bit of sense.

2 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I thought she was gone for a whole year! But the time lapse has always been vague on this show. I did think I heard her say she had 12 more classes before her degree, so that tracks, but maybe I'm misremembering and she said 12 credits? Which would track for a senior in her last semester, and would therefore not make the slightest bit of sense.

I thought that's what I heard also, so does she have 2 semesters left?  because if so that's still 6 classes each semester, and that still seems like a lot....I always thought it was more 4, maybe 5 classes.....

• Love 1

In what universe is Zoey graduating from college at the same time as her friends after taking at least a semester, if not a year, off to drop out and mess around in the fashion world? I do not believe at all that she got all of her credits back during COVID, not even taking into account her academic probation and cheating scandal. 

I know that Zoey has always been self centered, but it used to be in a more fun kind of way. She was just awful to watch in this episode, just so terrible and selfish. Its not bad enough that she slept with Rochelle's boyfriend, but she also had to rub it in her face to make herself feel better, and even did it at her job! After she still very maturely helped her find her internship! It didn't even really come off like she actually felt that bad, it was more like she hates the idea that someone didn't like her and wanted to be validated by even the woman who's boyfriend she slept with, even in her "apology" it was all about Zoey. Even by the end of the episode, she didn't even seem to have learned anything or felt real remorse for what a mess she helped to make. 

• Love 1

I don't have a lot to add because everyone has expressed my feelings so well.  I hate that the show has decided to be all about relationship drama and forgot it was supposed to also be about college life.  The first season was so good.  This one-- eh not so much. And yeah. Zoery is the worst.

But my real reason for posting is that pink bow turtleneck and those kelly green flare polyester looking pants and macrame platforms has to be the ugliest outfit Zoey has ever worn.  Usually, the best thing about Zoey is her style.  It is usually flawless, but this was mad, distractedly ugly.  LOL.

Also Rochelle for the win. That is what an adult, self aware person looks like.

• Love 1