Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Lone Stars No More

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Longhorn for life!

Bao got her MBA at U of H, at the Bauer School of Business, which is very highly respected in H-town.  She's been at MD Anderson her entire career, having risen in several positions.  She has an extremely impressive list of philanthropic positions, so it was no surprise to me that she was President of the Vietnamese Students Association.

They are my favorite couple, and I loved their discussion of tea service.  I hope we can see it!

MD Anderson is very well regarded so that speaks for itself.

This does not feel like the situations in the past where they try to hype up a person to be something they are not.

• Love 8
On 7/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, ECM1231 said:

Okay, my gaydar is really, really bad so would some of you please message me? I suspected one person in particular, but now I'm thinking there may be more.

Thanks in advance.

why are people hesitant to just say it?

• Love 7

Despite her little breakdown about the jerseys, I found Bao likable and I could definitely identify with her as an "anxious" person. I could never submit to marrying someone sight unseen. Way too out of my comfort zone, but I give her credit for sticking her neck out and going for it. She and Johnny are genuinely cute together and looked truly happy walking down the aisle.

Jamie O is tipping into "I've overdone my cosmetic procedure" territory really fast. She loves to post about loving herself as is, embracing baby weight, etc- but look at pictures of her from her season (season 1). She has lost her original face. Add onto it her massive ego and lust for being on camera at any cost (crotch peeks included) and she's in dangerous territory.

• Love 11

Every season, one guy creeps me out at the beginning. Usually he turns out to be a board darling although never mine.  This year it’s Jose.  Let’s see if he makes me change my mind.  I really hope he sees the good in Rachel. 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Jamie O is tipping into "I've overdone my cosmetic procedure" territory really fast. She loves to post about loving herself as is, embracing baby weight, etc- but look at pictures of her from her season (season 1). She has lost her original face. Add onto it her massive ego and lust for being on camera at any cost (crotch peeks included) and she's in dangerous territory.

I haven't liked Jamie O. since she was on The Bachelor.

I also haven't watched Unfiltered because I just. Can't. Stand. Her.

Why is she the only host?  Why don't they rotate between other prior MAFS contestants? Amani would be great here.  Or a male host.  Why is it only her?

• Love 9
On 7/22/2021 at 10:15 AM, qtpye said:

I found it interesting that Jephte from a few seasons back wanted an IG model and many of the guys here expressed that an IG model was the last thing they wanted.

I think the difference is the age.  Jephte was at least 10 years younger than most of these guys.  But also Jephte had basically no relationship experience, and thus no framework for knowing the difference in what dating someone like that might really be like.

• Love 4
On 7/22/2021 at 10:28 AM, Empress1 said:

Race and ethnicity are different. Race refers to physical traits (e.g. Myrla's light skin and straight hair), ethnicity refers to cultural identification. You can be white and Latinx, as I think Myrla is, and Black and Latinx, as Gil is. Pastor Cal may be referring to a shared Latinx background even though their races are different and their countries of origin may be different as well. Basically, Myrla has white people in her ancestry and Gil has Black people in his. Or, put another way: Gil is Black but not African-American, as his ancestry is Colombian.

Re: Mia, I remember seeing her parents on the show; one parent was Indian and the other was Trini (I think her father was Indo-Trinidadian and her mother was Black and Trini, although I'm not 100% sure, I could have that mixed up). Indo-Trinidadians are the largest ethnic group in Trinidad; I believe her parents met in Trinidad, although again I'm not sure. I remember that Mia looked more Indian (I think I thought she was fully Indian until I saw her parents), and she had a sister who read more Black than she did.

Yes, I know all of that about ethnicity and nationality being separate, one of my interests is DNA and genealogy.  My point was that we don't really know exactly what either of these two women's true ethnic makeup is, and reading what is printed about them online only further confuses things.  For all we know these two women (Mia and Myrla) have a shared ethnicity and family relationship that we don't know anything about. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/22/2021 at 3:37 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

If I had to guess, I'd say he has a Chinese father and a Vietnamese mother, but that's kind of rare, too. (See my earlier posts about inter-Asian "opinions.") Who the hell knows?

Bao's mother looks so much like my own MIL that I was distracted. Both parents seem very sweet but they raised a little snot. Bao's meltdown over the Astros jersey was extremely immature and simplistic. She said sports guys have never worked for her before. Um, sweetie? Nothing has worked for you before. Maybe it's you? And of all teams... recent foibles aside, when I think of the Houston Astros, I think of two people: an ex-boyfriend with an engineering degree from Rice who worked for Google before moving on to start his own company that I can't even explain what it does; and my uncle, a theologian and teacher with a master's degree who reads, like, books. All the time. They are actually two of the most intelligent people I've ever met. But I guess we're all wrong because Bao thinks sports fans are the opposite of "intellects." (PS, Bao? "Intellect" usually describes the quality, not the whole person, but go off.)

Thank you, I just knew Johnny was not speaking Vietnamese since a manicurist I once had spoke it around me all the time and I knew that wasn't it.

And Bao really outed herself as to her shallow and snobbish assumptions about people with her almost meltdown over the sports thing.  When I was an undergrad. my mentor and chairman of the Philosophy department was a HUGE baseball fan.  Her assumptions reflect poorly on her, unfortunately.

I still have a theory that in addition to a list of people she knew that she didn't want to be matched with, Bao also gave the experts a list of people she DID want to be matched with, and she assumed that if she got matched with a sports fan that person was not one of the men on the list that she really would have preferred.  I guess she didn't realize that at least one of them (Johnny) was actually a sports fan, LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/23/2021 at 3:46 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think it depends on the level of sports fan-ness.  If I were matched with someone who attends every game shirtless and with a painted face, without knowing more, I'd assume we wouldn't be a good match.  And to be honest, part of it would be that this activity doesn't generally ping my radar for great intellect.  And if I were finding this out right before I was to be married to this person about whom I know nothing else, it might precipitate a general nervousness meltdown I was otherwise holding at bay.

Having a wedding gift presented to me wrapped in football jerseys wouldn't read "casual fan" to me, and obviously didn't to Bao.  I'd be fine with a casual fan, but I definitely wouldn't want to be a football widow, or deal with issues presented if the fandom is accompanied by gambling. 

The problem I have is not that Bao would be upset thinking her husband to be was such an ardent fan that they would likely clash over it, it's that she would assume all that based on so little information.  I get that - a long time ago I once dated a guy so into football that it came before me every time - needless to say that relationship didn't last.  But giving the gifts based on sports wouldn't make me jump all the way to that conclusion at this stage of my life - maybe when I was younger, but not now.  Being an ardent sports fan doesn't necessarily translate into "football widow".  That's a huge jump that my experience has taught me time and again is more the rarity than the reality.  I also don't think Johnny thought through the gift very well.  He thought she was going to get the "home" and "away" reference he intended but he should not have assumed that she would also be enough of a sports fan to get it.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Jamie O needs to stop wearing those short skirts and crossing her legs so we can see every bump of her cellulite thigh alllll the way up.  It's a TV show, have at least some respect for yourself and the audience that has to look at you and doesn't want to see that.  Now I am no stranger to cellulite and I sympathize, but she is sporting an awful lot of it for someone her age and needs to come to terms with it....

• Love 6

Jamie’s taste in clothing has always been blah. They just looked better when she was slimmer. I’m not trying to throw shade. Our bodies do change after babies. Boy, do I know!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Jamie O needs to stop wearing those short skirts and crossing her legs so we can see every bump of her cellulite thigh alllll the way up.  It's a TV show, have at least some respect for yourself and the audience that has to look at you and doesn't want to see that.  Now I am no stranger to cellulite and I sympathize, but she is sporting an awful lot of it for someone her age and needs to come to terms with it....

3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Jamie O has dressed unfashionable since she became host.  I wonder if she's choosing her own wardrobe or the show has a bad wardrobe person?

4 minutes ago, zenme said:

Jamie’s taste in clothing has always been blah. They just looked better when she was slimmer. I’m not trying to throw shade. Our bodies do change after babies. Boy, do I know!

The funny thing is I could have dressed her in something that would have made her look great and I am far from a fashion expert.

Her figure is actually not bad but she literally chose the worst outfit she could for her body type.

If an actual stylist chose that outfit for her than they need to be fired, ASAP.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, zenme said:

Yes.  Stacy and Clinton would do wonders for her, as well as a cut off her dried ends.

The hilarious thing is that Jaime O freely admits to wearing weaves. So the question is…why the Hell did she choose a weave that looks so raggedy?

Maybe she is trolling us since she knows bad outfits/hair get more attention then low key tasteful looks?

• Love 4

Agree with others that I expect Jose to be disappointed.  It’s like he thinks he’s a 9 when in reality he is a 5.  In this pic the tux is wearing him and he looks like an over-eager maitre d at a restaurant I would be desperate to avoid.  She is out of his league.

60BCD0C4-625B-43DF-B5A1-3822CD6E2CE1.jpeg

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Booger666 said:

Agree with others that I expect Jose to be disappointed.  It’s like he thinks he’s a 9 when in reality he is a 5.  In this pic the tux is wearing him and he looks like an over-eager maitre d at a restaurant I would be desperate to avoid.  She is out of his league.

If he has a good and kind heart looks and stature won’t matter. 

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I haven't liked Jamie O. since she was on The Bachelor.

I also haven't watched Unfiltered because I just. Can't. Stand. Her.

Why is she the only host?  Why don't they rotate between other prior MAFS contestants? Amani would be great here.  Or a male host.  Why is it only her?

No Amani. She's sweet, but her voice would drive me crazy.  

• Love 10
On 7/24/2021 at 5:48 PM, qtpye said:

This does not feel like the situations in the past where they try to hype up a person to be something they are not.

I completely agree!  I noticed immediately that, with the exception of the "realtor" none of the participants' professions/careers were mentioned.  It took a bit of "researching" to reveal Bao's and Johnny's positions and both seem entirely credible and successful in what they do.

I also note that neither Bao nor Johnny are at the top of the prestigious career chart (doctor/lawyer/engineer) but, instead, chose to pursue other avenues to professional accomplishment and success.  Both are at the "middle management" level of corporate achievement which indicates to me that they have a professional goals that are achievable and worthy of their ongoing efforts to attain.  I see that at very commendable and bonding for both of them in their marriage.

Their career track is diametrically opposed to others from last season who were "entrepreneurs"  waiting for the "big money bonanza" to occur with different ventures they were involved in starting.  

2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

No Amani. She's sweet, but her voice would drive me crazy.  

Agreed!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I completely agree!  I noticed immediately that, with the exception of the "realtor" none of the participants' professions/careers were mentioned.  It took a bit of "researching" to reveal Bao's and Johnny's positions and both seem entirely credible and successful in what they do.

I also note that neither Bao nor Johnny are at the top of the prestigious career chart (doctor/lawyer/engineer) but, instead, chose to pursue other avenues to professional accomplishment and success.  Both are at the "middle management" level of corporate achievement which indicates to me that they have a professional goals that are achievable and worthy of their ongoing efforts to attain.  I see that at very commendable and bonding for both of them in their marriage.

Their career track is diametrically opposed to others from last season who were "entrepreneurs"  waiting for the "big money bonanza" to occur with different ventures they were involved in starting.  

Agreed!

A couple being on the same page when it comes to career ambitions can be very important as it has a strong connection to lifestyle and finance.

For instance Brett and Olivia. She worked hard and played harder. He enjoyed a relatively less stressful career that provided a comfortable but not particularly fancy lifestyle.

There is speculation that

Spoiler

Amelia and Bennett might have called it quits due to differing career ambitions.

I think Johnny and Bao are adorable together and am rooting for them to succeed. They seem to be very in sync. 

Last season Chris's occupation should have been changed from entrepreneur to con artist.

In a previous season, they had hyped Taylor to be a researcher for Johns Hopkins and it turned out to be a lie but I do not totally remember what happened with that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Booger666 said:

She looks pained. His teeth are too many for his mouth. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I don't know who said they think JOSE might be disappointed. (Now, his bride, OTOH,....) (Sorry, Jeanne222; meant to reply to Booger666.)

I opined that RYAN might be.  

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I don't know who said they think JOSE might be disappointed. (Now, his bride, OTOH,....) (Sorry, Jeanne222; meant to reply to Booger666.)

I opined that RYAN might be.  

A few posters have speculated that Jose might be critical of Rachel because MAFS has labeled him “Mr. Perfectionist”.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Agreed. There's a lot of anti-short men sentiment out there. Lots of comments about Napoleon complexes, etc.  

Edited by ECM1231
9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

She looks pained. His teeth are too many for his mouth. 

I feel sorry for her already.  It's hard to tell how he feels about her because it looks like he knows how to put on the game face for the occasion.  If I had to take a stab at it I'd say he looks like he just got what he wanted, which was to be married, but who he's married to is not really his top concern at the moment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Agreed. There's a lot of anti-short men sentiment out there. Lots of comments about Napoleon complexes, etc.  

For the record that nobody cares about 😄---I adore short men and always have! Right now I'm on a Tom Hollander (5'5") jag ("Rev" is terrific!). 

No, it's not José's stature that gives me pause. 

• Love 8
18 hours ago, qtpye said:

In a previous season, they had hyped Taylor to be a researcher for Johns Hopkins and it turned out to be a lie but I do not totally remember what happened with that.

It wasn't really a lie, she was just more junior than the show made her out to be. I think she was in an entry-level or one notch above entry-level role. She had two other jobs: rideshare driver and brand ambassador for a liquor brand (she was paid to push the brand at events in bars).

18 hours ago, qtpye said:

A couple being on the same page when it comes to career ambitions can be very important as it has a strong connection to lifestyle and finance.

Agreed - or they should be in alignment over who takes a step back and when and why, and that might ebb and flow in the marriage. This is why I don't really see it for Myrla and Gil - if she wants a baller, which she seems to, he's not that guy.

• Love 3

Mylar is going to protect and craft the image she portrays as seen as her demure behavior at the bachelorette party when she removed herself and her besties from the entertainment.

Whether or not her firefighter spouse will enhance her “brand” is to be seen.

Perhaps Gill has some side gigs like Boston Ryan did (landlord and paintball park) to pump up his income so Mylar can feel better about the earning disparity between them.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/22/2021 at 7:35 AM, ECM1231 said:

Absolutely! Cannot believe Ryan's only 35! He looks way, way older! I think it was Johnny last night who said that Ryan looked like a weary traveler. Spot-on! What's his deal?

I think that was a bit mean of him to say that. Ya. He looks old & tired. Who knows why. We do know HIS BEST FRIEND DIED. I guess he shoulda explained that to them if that's why he seemed down.

Edited by Lindz

Ugh. Really disgusted by Johnny's neediness! The IRONY!! He wants to be wanted & clung to because he didn't have that from his mother. Again. HEAL YOUR CHILDHOOD WOUNDS!!! The fact that he leans into it & wants it just shows how immature he is. Seriously, these couples look like they should be on Unmatchables. 😅😂 Love languages are what's trending, but people really need to look into their attachment styles. Bao will probably be cold like his mother & he'll be consumed with making her love him. That'd serve him right.

• Love 1

HATED Bao's awful reaction to her gifts. TERRIBLE ATTITUDE! & for her to make up all those things up in her mind about him from those gifts was just absurd. She started the sabotage right then & I hope since she's familiar with him all that crap's been removed from her mind. I swear these supposedly smart people never learn from their past. 😅😂

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Lindz said:

Ugh. Really disgusted by Johnny's neediness! The IRONY!! He wants to be wanted & clung to because he didn't have that from his mother. Again. HEAL YOUR CHILDHOOD WOUNDS!!! The fact that he leans into it & wants it just shows how immature he is. Seriously, these couples look like they should be on Unmatchables. 😅😂 Love languages are what's trending, but people really need to look into their attachment styles. Bao will probably be cold like his mother & he'll be consumed with making her love him. That'd serve him right.

Dating Stage 5 Clingers hasn't worked out in the past for Johnny.

Buckle up, Cowboy, you are now married to Bao, a non Clinger who walked away from 3 engagements. The first act of runaway bride is a gimme, the second and third is stone cold….

Johnny is getting a karma sandwich as the clingiest in his marriage....it will be interesting if Bao bestows upon him the unconditional love his mother and father denied him in his childhood.

Bao's got an ugly stank face as demonstrated by her knee jerk disgust of Johnny's bridal gift...hope she chokes on the the crow she'll eat when he explains his true intent and meaning of the very thoughtful gift.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 2
On 7/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, Booger666 said:

Jose looks like he is standing on his tippy toes.

He is dressed like a ventriloquist dummy in a Las Vegas lounge act.

The florist in Atlanta made beautifully crafted individual bridal bouquets but this season the brides are having to carry messy, too big, uninspired bunched sprays and sprigs.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/26/2021 at 1:07 AM, Yeah No said:

Yes, I know all of that about ethnicity and nationality being separate, one of my interests is DNA and genealogy.  My point was that we don't really know exactly what either of these two women's true ethnic makeup is, and reading what is printed about them online only further confuses things.  For all we know these two women (Mia and Myrla) have a shared ethnicity and family relationship that we don't know anything about. 

Edited by kristen111

I agree about Bao’s attitude about the sports shirts and in general, but I thought she looked absolutely stunning in that gown with the overlay.  Her hair, makeup, everything was gorgeous.  Her Mother dressed very classy also and looked beautiful.  I also loved the grooms burgundy jacket too.  The flowers were unique.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Mylar is going to protect and craft the image she portrays as seen as her demure behavior at the bachelorette party when she removed herself and her besties from the entertainment.

Perhaps Gill has some side gigs like Boston Ryan did (landlord and paintball park) to pump up his income so Mylar can feel better about the earning disparity between them.

This makes me feel bad for Gil. Hopefully, M is nicer and not as shallow as she seems.

4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

It wasn't really a lie, she was just more junior than the show made her out to be. I think she was in an entry-level or one notch above entry-level role. She had two other jobs: rideshare driver and brand ambassador for a liquor brand (she was paid to push the brand at events in bars).

Agreed - or they should be in alignment over who takes a step back and when and why, and that might ebb and flow in the marriage. This is why I don't really see it for Myrla and Gil - if she wants a baller, which she seems to, he's not that guy.

I have probably blocked it out because Brandon/Taylor was easily one of the worst-matched couples on the show before we met Chris/Paige. He was an angry alcoholic that did not like her from the start, even though she was quite pretty and she was a social media-obsessed party girl (though not as bad as Virginia) who could not believe this scrub did not like her.

I hope the couples this season are better.

• Love 4
On 7/23/2021 at 12:31 PM, eclectcmoi said:

I think Brett looks like a cross of Toni Collette and Julia Roberts.  Ryan has very shifty eyes.  Not sure if that's due to nerves or maybe anxiety.  I agree with who said he has a whole lot of sad going on. 

Darn....you beat me to it.  As soon as I saw Brett I thought she looked like Toni.  It's in the mouth area.  

I was certain Jamie was going to be replaced this year.  There's so many former MAFS that would LOVE to take over her job.  I'm thinking Christine the rehabber (who along with Keith actually shot a commercial); Amani AND Woody (the show has used them several times); and of course Beth, who would kill (and I mean KILL) for the job.  But I like Jamie.  She's so pathetically desperate, and she really thinks MAFS is the big time.  Oh, did I mention Dr. Viv?  With the dramatic makeup and flashy, revealing clothes, she's got her eye on something.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

My gaydar isn't perfect by any means. I can only identify the flamboyant ones, but the tone and energy of some guys give me gay vibes. Mainly Jose & Gil, but even the others can make me think twice at times. It's just a lack of masculinity. It's such a fine line. Like with Miles. I wonder if any of the wives will feel the same way Karen did. Prolly Myrla. 😅

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, JapMo said:

I was certain Jamie was going to be replaced this year.  There's so many former MAFS that would LOVE to take over her job.  I'm thinking Christine the rehabber (who along with Keith actually shot a commercial); Amani AND Woody (the show has used them several times); and of course Beth, who would kill (and I mean KILL) for the job.  But I like Jamie.  She's so pathetically desperate, and she really thinks MAFS is the big time. 

I am the first to snark on JOtis but I admire her tenacity to keep her Hollywood job.

Good luck prying the host gig of Unflitered from her pressed on nails.

Don't let her ragged look betray how much she will fight to keep inserting herself into the show...

In labor, she set up ring lights, had Doug film her naked as she pushed and birthed a baby into a plastic blow up kiddie pool, splashing all kinds of bodily fluids onto their master bedroom carpet.....that is a woman who will do anything for her slice of fame....albeit a basic cable show....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I agree about Bao’s attitude about the sports shirts and in general, but I thought she looked absolutely stunning in that gown with the overlay.  Her hair, makeup, everything was gorgeous.  Her Mother dressed very classy also and looked beautiful.  I also loved the grooms burgundy jacket too.  The flowers were unique.

I thought both sets of parents were very distinguished looking and classy.  Both wore beautiful, tasteful clothes and appeared delighted with the match (as well they should have been IMO).

Bao and Johnny actually make me want to tune in each week to see their relationship grow because I think both have what it takes to make a successful marriage (I thought the same of Woody and Amani)!

• Love 4
(edited)

I actually cried during Bao's poem. This was the first one in all1 3 seasons that made me cry. It looked like Johnny was crying or tearing up, at least. 😂

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

A lot of firefighters have second jobs due to their schedules at the firehouse.  24 on 48 off!

One thing....He's a looker!

• Love 7
21 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

In labor, she set up ring lights, had Doug film her naked as she pushed and birthed a baby into a plastic blow up kiddie pool, splashing all kinds of bodily fluids onto their master bedroom carpet.....that is a woman who will do anything for her slice of fame....albeit a basic cable show....

Thanks... I had just gotten that image out of my head🙄

• LOL 3
(edited)
28 minutes ago, JLaw said:

Thanks... I had just gotten that image out of my head🙄

I haven't...Still get flashbacks and cold sweats when spreading the legs of a chicken to remove the giblet packet....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 10
(edited)
On 7/22/2021 at 7:54 AM, Jeanne222 said:

First of all how do you remember all these names? 

I make myself a cheat-sheet every season. 😁

rps20210728_204834.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
Johnny's name disappeared, so I re-added him
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7