Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Lone Stars No More

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, LEILANI2 said:

MAFS going the Bachelor route and just picking gay men, I'm not going to name names, but there's at least two on this season.

I'm with you on this.  My wife and I spotted one for sure.  And I was curious about another.  I'm pretty sure who your two are.

• Love 9
(edited)

First of all how do you remember all these names?  Bravo!ow

Johnny and Bao.  They surely tried to make us think this would be a catastrophe but the clouds break and they seem to like each other!

I do wonder how they will do sexually?

Johnny isn't the best looked but I love his happy personality.  How is pretty but hung up.  Hope Johnny is her knight in shining armour!

The shopper and the fireman...maybe.  He's tall, dark and handsome and looks like he knows how to have a good time!  She's a little hung up on stuff.  Maybe with a man to love she'll unwind!

I'm worried about Jose and forget her name.  Her friend was just plain hurtful with what if he hates you at the alter!!!!  Thanks friend.  Friends should lift us up!

Dancing queen and her match.  He's three years younger than her.  I wonder if that will be a problem for her?

I think Ryan is going to like Brett!  She's cool!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Bao's expressions to me showed distaste. I could be wrong.

Okay, I'm  wrong! They seem at the end to be comfortable and pleased with each other, and I've changed my mind about well-spoken Johnny, too! But maybe he could grow his hair a little more, for me? 😁 Hope they make it! 🤞

I fast-forwarded through the parties; not interested. 

Right there with you!  I like this couple so far, but Bao could turn out to be too rigid in her ways. I guess we'll see. 

My unpopular opinion right now is I'm not fond of Michaela, I don't know that she's a good match for Zach.  I like him, but 27 seems young to be thinking he's running out of time to find love, especially for a man. 

We're just at the beginning though.  I do wish the weddings weren't so spread out. And I hate the bachelor and bachelorette parties although these seemed somewhat tame by previous shows. 

Edited by cardigirl
Because I had the wrong groom
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Myrla doesn’t look like Mia to me either - they’re different races, for one. Mia was half Black and half Indian and I think Myrla is Latinx.

Mia was half Jamaican and half Trinidadian which could mean she's any number of races.  One of my close friends is half Trinidadian but that half is actually Chinese.  What I can't get out of my head is that I heard Pastor Cal say in a voiceover that Myrla and Gil have shared ethnic backgrounds but nowhere does it say that she is Columbian, so maybe it's just a general "Latin American" connection?  Plus the bios I've read so far on her say her ethnicity is "white", which I can't fully understand because she appears on a site for aspiring Latino leaders.  I suppose it's possible but the point is who knows?  I'm white and I have a mixed race cousin so anything is possible.  I still see a resemblance!  🤷‍♀️😉

• Love 4

I found it interesting that Jephte from a few seasons back wanted an IG model and many of the guys here expressed that an IG model was the last thing they wanted.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Mia was half Jamaican and half Trinidadian which could mean she's any number of races.  One of my close friends is half Trinidadian but that half is actually Chinese.  What I can't get out of my head is that I heard Pastor Cal say in a voiceover that Myrla and Gil have shared ethnic backgrounds but nowhere does it say that she is Columbian, so maybe it's just a general "Latin American" connection?  Plus the bios I've read so far on her say her ethnicity is "white", which I can't fully understand because she appears on a site for aspiring Latino leaders.  I suppose it's possible but the point is who knows?  I'm white and I have a mixed race cousin so anything is possible.  I still see a resemblance!  🤷‍♀️😉

Race and ethnicity are different. Race refers to physical traits (e.g. Myrla's light skin and straight hair), ethnicity refers to cultural identification. You can be white and Latinx, as I think Myrla is, and Black and Latinx, as Gil is. Pastor Cal may be referring to a shared Latinx background even though their races are different and their countries of origin may be different as well. Basically, Myrla has white people in her ancestry and Gil has Black people in his. Or, put another way: Gil is Black but not African-American, as his ancestry is Colombian.

Re: Mia, I remember seeing her parents on the show; one parent was Indian and the other was Trini (I think her father was Indo-Trinidadian and her mother was Black and Trini, although I'm not 100% sure, I could have that mixed up). Indo-Trinidadians are the largest ethnic group in Trinidad; I believe her parents met in Trinidad, although again I'm not sure. I remember that Mia looked more Indian (I think I thought she was fully Indian until I saw her parents), and she had a sister who read more Black than she did.

That shot of Gil saying "if the experts got it right, my fiancee is the life of the party" with Myrla pouting and Michaela dropping it low was shady as hell.

17 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I found it interesting that Jephte from a few seasons back wanted an IG model and many of the guys here expressed that an IG model was the last thing they wanted.

I thought that was interesting too and it reminded me of the woman from the DC season who was married to Brandon - I forget her name, but she stayed posting on IG. That was a trait I found annoying (I actually found her pretty annoying overall but she was overshadowed by how awful Brandon was). Did they say what they all did for a living? Gil is a firefighter and Michaela is a realtor, but I don't think I know about the rest of them. Bao said something about working with cancer researchers.

58 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

And I hate the bachelor and bachelorette parties although these seemed somewhat tame by previous shows. 

I think that's due to COVID. I think there were more masks this episode than in all of the New Orleans season.

Edited by Empress1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

There's no joy in that man and that in and of itself is a red flag.  Plus his constant long face is making him look older.

Absolutely! Cannot believe Ryan's only 35! He looks way, way older! I think it was Johnny last night who said that Ryan looked like a weary traveler. Spot-on! What's his deal?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

My unpopular opinion right now is I'm not fond of Michaela, I don't know that she's a good match for Zach.  I like him, but 27 seems young to be thinking he's running out of time to find love, especially for a man. 

It was exhausting just watching her, I think she's too "extra."  I think she'll be too much for Zach to deal with.   

Whoever basically called Myrla an older J-Lo wannabe was spot on. 

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Johnny and Bao.  They surely tried to make us think this would be a catastrophe but the clouds break and they seem to like each other!

I do wonder how they will do sexually?

Johnny isn't the best looked but I love his happy personality.  How is pretty but hung up.  Hope Johnny is her knight in shining armour!

The shopper and the fireman...maybe.  He's tall, dark and handsome and looks like he knows how to have a good time!  She's a little hung up on stuff.  Maybe with a man to love she'll unwind!

I'm worried about Jose and forget her name.  Her friend was just plain hurtful with what if he hates you at the alter!!!!  Thanks friend.  Friends should lift us up!

Dancing queen and her match.  He's three years younger than her.  I wonder if that will be a problem for her?

I think Ryan is going to like Brett!  She's cool!

Once again, my wife and I agreed with you.  We questioned her "friend's" motives.  I'm not trying shame anyone's weight.  But maybe her "friend" was a bit jealous.  Rachel was heavier and reshaped her body and is regaining her self-esteem.  Sometimes people are NOT happy when you're happy. And try to mind f**k you into remaining as miserable as they are.

Everything she said was negative and hurtful.  And Rachel's mom never jumped in to show any support.

Edited by Sycophant4Lease
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Ms.C. said:

Way too much repetition.  But I watch.   
Really loved the wedding.  Marketers give such misleading clips together I’ll make it a point to judge nothing before seeing whole episode.   Such karma that their first meet in college as equals really.  Presidents of Vietnam groups.  I sincerely hope they have an easy time.  And I love that they’re Asian.  This program needs more diversity.  

Haha I actually enjoy seeing each of them give their little bios, but then when Pastor Cal comes on to sanctimoniously lecture us about why they'll be perfect together I fast forward.  Last night I hit the button just as he said, "We matched Johnny and Bao" and finished for him:  "because we were going for more diversity than black and white and they're both Asian" 😄. I am surprised to see that people here think Johnny is unattractive; I find him to be adorable.

3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

They should also be honest - I'm with whoever said the friend must have seen this show before.  She said it kind of meanly, but it has happened and those are the women I feel most sorry for (until they beat it out of me like Paige did 😄 )

• Love 12

At first I was really put off when I found out this was 3 hours, but as it started I realized I could fast-forward quite a bit as I had watched the previous episodes (match-making, intro, etc.).  And, as I also fast-forwarded the bachelor/bachelorette "parties" it became quite manageable to watch.

First of all, my new favorite person is Johnny's father who refused to be a part of this fiasco wedding.  I know there may be sentiment that a parent should just support one's child, but when the child is doing something ridiculous I don't think parents necessarily have to support it.  And, if it turns out to be successful, they can have a second wedding like Ryan and Clara are doing to celebrate their love and successful marriage.

I was put off by Boa's reaction to the sports gifts (I took it as introducing some of his likes to her) but once she saw Johnny and started relaxing I thought she and Johnny just might make it.  I thought they both looked great at the wedding.

Mrynia (? I don't know everyone's name yet) seems really rigid and not fun at all.  Another one who doesn't want marriage to change her lifestyle at all.  Oh well, it may work out for her, but I doubt it.  The firefighter probably won't be interested in financing her spending habits.  I could be wrong because obviously it worked for Virginia and Erik for her to not change her drinking/passing out on couches lifestyle.

I wasn't too impressed with Brett during the other episodes but really liked her in this episode.  She seems nice and fun.

Well, we shall see what happens in future episodes.  I have no idea who some of you think may be gay so any hints or names you want to drop would be really helpful...

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, princelina said:

I am surprised to see that people here think Johnny is unattractive; I find him to be adorable.

I'm surprised, too, because I think he's attractive.  I'd choose him over Jose or Ryan in a heartbeat.  

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I thought that was interesting too and it reminded me of the woman from the DC season who was married to Brandon - I forget her name, but she stayed posting on IG. That was a trait I found annoying (I actually found her pretty annoying overall but she was overshadowed by how awful Brandon was). Did they say what they all did for a living? Gil is a firefighter and Michaela is a realtor, but I don't think I know about the rest of them. Bao said something about working with cancer researchers.

The only other one I've seen so far is that Myrla is a leadership coach.  If anyone else finds anything, let us know!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

They just want them to LOOK like and IG model without all the trappings that go with it.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Allison1 said:

The only other one I've seen so far is that Myrla is a leadership coach.  If anyone else finds anything, let us know!

Replaying to myself, Brett is a teacher/volleyball coach; Ryan is an "oil & gas liaison" (?)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Absolutely! Cannot believe Ryan's only 35! He looks way, way older! I think it was Johnny last night who said that Ryan looked like a weary traveler. Spot-on! What's his deal?

This! Johnny nailed it. I think Ryan looks like a late 40's single dad who is tired from trying to hold it all together and is doing this as a last ditch way to find someone to help him, Overboard-style.......Or he's just realized he actually has to film this shit show and cameras will be following him around for months. He might be feeling that even getting a wife out of it is not worth the hassle.

Maybe I'm just bitter from last season, but I think this one is going to be just as bad. I don't see any of these people making it. Maybe Bao and Johnny, but they are both so uptight and rigid. I hope she is embarrassed when she sees her melt down over the sports jerseys. "I wanted a beautiful mind. Nobel prize." Girl, please. You let a basic cable tv show find you a husband. Nobel prize.......smh.........her poem was pretty though.

Myrla is a pill. I kind of loathe her already. How on earth did they match this woman with Gil? He seems like a prize and they wasted him on a high end Miss Priss. And maybe she should spend some of her grooming funds on fixing whatever is wrong with her hair. It looks straggly and greasy.

I never thought I would say this, but this show is losing me. Zero excitement for this season, and I did other things while this played in the background.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Written notes taken during the episode.  Heh.

2 hours ago, Sycophant4Lease said:

Once again, my wife and I agreed with you.  We questioned her "friend's" motives.  I'm not trying shame anyone's weight.  But maybe her "friend" was a bit jealous.  Rachel was heavier and reshaped her body and is regaining her self-esteem.  Sometimes people are NOT happy when you're happy. And try to mind f**k you into remaining as miserable as they are.

Everything she said was negative and hurtful.  And Rachel's mom never jumped in to show any support.

I was not feeling Rachel's "friend" either. She didn't seem to want Rachel to get any shine. I also found that her mom and friend not sitting with her was also telling. Rachel looked like a child on that seat as her friend deflated her good feelings.

Also, I will give MAFS small props for matching Johnny and Bao's ethnic backgrounds.  I could imagine what would have happened had the show matched a Vietnamese person with a Chinese, Japanese, or Thai person thinking all Asians are alike...

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 6

I'm not calling any names, but one groom does not appear to be attracted to women. 

Myrla (sp) looks nothing like Mia. Mia's father is Indo-Trinidadian and her mother is Afro-Jamaican. 

Gil seems like he would have been a better match with Michaela. Myrla comes across as materialistic and shallow. She might have been a better match for someone else.  

Johnny was spot on about Ryan. I find it hard to believe that he, Johnny and Gil are the same age.

Boa's reaction to her wedding gifts was extremely rude. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Doublemint said:

It's 11:47 and they are showing another wedding!   Michaela - 4  hrs of this....

Sonofabeehive! They sneaked it in at the end of "Unfiltered"! 

So I re-wound and am watching this segment! 😁

Thanks, DOUBLEMINT!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Bao made a beautiful bride, the big flower in her bouquet looked like an alien flower from a Star Trek episode.  I super love the card that Bao sent Johnny pre wedding, so funny!

That card was hilarious.  I really like Bao.  Her brother called her "Bao-y."  😀

BTW, Johnny explained his pre-wedding gift on the after-show thing with Jamie Otis.  It was a "home and away" theme, with one gift (wrapped in a "home" jersey) being a picture frame thing for their home, and one gift (that they didn't show, and wrapped in an "away" jersey) being noise canceling headphones for them to use when they travel the world.

He was also describing how his message on the card got too long; he had started it in the middle (below the fold) and got to the bottom and put an arrow from the bottom up along the side to the top to continue, and he said that Bao's reaction was that she thinks someone should have the foresight to realize...  He actually trailed off.  I laughed out loud.

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I was put off by Boa's reaction to the sports gifts (I took it as introducing some of his likes to her)

I think she was afraid he was introducing her to all of his likes.  I'd be scared, too.

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Mrynia (? I don't know everyone's name yet) seems really rigid and not fun at all.  Another one who doesn't want marriage to change her lifestyle at all.  Oh well, it may work out for her, but I doubt it.  The firefighter probably won't be interested in financing her spending habits. 

Well, she could finance her own spending habits.  The bigger problem is that Gil said he wants someone who isn't high maintenance, and she is as far from that as you can possible get.  So they matched a high-maintenance woman who doesn't want a bald man with a bald man who doesn't want a high-maintenance woman. 

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Did they say what they all did for a living? Gil is a firefighter and Michaela is a realtor, but I don't think I know about the rest of them. Bao said something about working with cancer researchers.

They put on the screen Jose's job title at NASA, but I can't remember what it was.  Sounded kind of impressive, like having to do with mission control. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Bao's dress was beautiful.

She might have been the prettiest bride ever of this show. I know they don't get the best selection of dresses but that dress was made for her.

Edited by Rightside
  • Love 10
(edited)

I think they have a good chance of working things out. He is an intellect as well so she's not just getting a bro. They have some insight into who they were 10 years ago and they've been on some similar paths. The rigidity or perfectionism, it depends on where you stand, can give them insight into each other because they have some of the similarities.

I'm rooting for them. I can see them working out. She was a beautiful bride. He sort of reminds me of Jason from The Good Place. Only smarter.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Rightside said:

She might have been the prettiest bride ever of this show. I know they don't get the best selection of dresses but that dress was made for her.

I totally agree. Very pretty as well as beautiful hair and makeup.

My number one dress from this show is still Brianna from last season though.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Rightside said:

The only problem with the dress was that the pockets were in the lace part, so she couldn't keep snacks in them.  Otherwise, I agree--I don't think she would have looked any better at a wedding she planned herself for months or years.

• Love 3
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I totally agree. Very pretty as well as beautiful hair and makeup.

My number one dress from this show is still Brianna from last season though.

I agree that she looked beautiful. Karen from New Orleans's dress is in my top as well.

35 minutes ago, spunky said:

Johnny was spot on about Ryan. I find it hard to believe that he, Johnny and Gil are the same age.

Ryan looked miserable! Just dour. Brett seems like a pretty positive person so maybe she'll bring some positive energy out of him.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Drat! Fat fingers hit the quote instead of edit again!

Can't get sued for an opinion, but Jose? I'll be shocked, SHOCKED, if his marriage survives D-Day. 

Nail on the head.  Several of his mannerisms appeared to "come out".  Also, the 27 year old (can't remember his name) might be in denial.  And he could be trying to spare his parents from some type of humiliation.

As you pointed out, "Can't get sued for an opinion".

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

If we're mentioning the sneak peek that came after Unfiltered last night, if anyone fake woke me up like that on my wedding day, I would straight up punch them in the face.  (See Michaela's sisters and Zeke's friends on the morning of.) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Since the show is buffing its nails at us over their DiVerSiTY casting, I have to say: what the fuck is Johnny? And I do not ask people "what they are" in real life.

• Johnny was president of the Vietnamese students' association.
  • It has been stated at some point that Johnny is Vietnamese?
  • Pepper said in an earlier special that Johnny and Bao have different backgrounds. It seemed to be in the context of ethnicity, but I guess it could've also referred to poverty.
  • Johnny spoke to his father in Mandarin. That is not a normal thing for Vietnamese families to do.

If I had to guess, I'd say he has a Chinese father and a Vietnamese mother, but that's kind of rare, too. (See my earlier posts about inter-Asian "opinions.") Who the hell knows?

Bao's mother looks so much like my own MIL that I was distracted. Both parents seem very sweet but they raised a little snot. Bao's meltdown over the Astros jersey was extremely immature and simplistic. She said sports guys have never worked for her before. Um, sweetie? Nothing has worked for you before. Maybe it's you? And of all teams... recent foibles aside, when I think of the Houston Astros, I think of two people: an ex-boyfriend with an engineering degree from Rice who worked for Google before moving on to start his own company that I can't even explain what it does; and my uncle, a theologian and teacher with a master's degree who reads, like, books. All the time. They are actually two of the most intelligent people I've ever met. But I guess we're all wrong because Bao thinks sports fans are the opposite of "intellects." (PS, Bao? "Intellect" usually describes the quality, not the whole person, but go off.)

Since I'm salty at Bao, I will also admit I snickered when Johnny politely noted that he was at UT when she was at U of H. U of H is a perfectly decent school, but not what I expected from someone so prissy and achievement-driven. Meanwhile, laid-back Johnny is over here enjoying life, allowing himself to be goofy, and low-key repping THE flagship state university. The one people buy t-shirts of from Wal-Mart even though they've never set foot on campus. (I say this grudgingly, as I am a proud alumna of a much more fun and cool state university that gets a bad rap even though we've produced more astronauts and military generals. We wear the black hats, IYKWIM.)

Also, I agree that there is someone on the cast pinging the old 'dar quite hard and it's not Johnny. Or Ryan. Or Gil. Or the young guy who's learning piano. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 13
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I agree that she looked beautiful. Karen from New Orleans's dress is in my top as well.

Ryan looked miserable! Just dour. Brett seems like a pretty positive person so maybe she'll bring some positive energy out of him.

I agree, Karen's dress is my all time favorite. Ryan looks like he'll drain all of her energy.

1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Drat! Fat fingers hit the quote instead of edit again!

Can't get sued for an opinion, but Jose? I'll be shocked, SHOCKED, if his marriage survives D-Day. 

That's who I was talking about as well.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Yes, Karen's dress was gorgeous!  Something was intriguing about the cape that Bao wore. Just made the train so full.

I'm just over strapless dresses but Brianna did look nice! Her dress was probably the best strapless of any on the show.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Sycophant4Lease said:

I was shocked when Rachel's friend said, "what if he finds you repulsive?" Right then and there, it became clear why Rachel said she used to have low self esteem. With friends like this, you don't need enemies.  

I can't get over Bao throwing a hissy fit over a jersey, because she wanted a "Nobel prize winner".  She probably figured that if she couldn't find one, perhaps the experts could.  Guess she hasn't seen the show.  I didn't know that intelligent people don't like sports.  If Johnny wants someone who is going to love and adore him, I don't think Bao is the one.  

• Love 8
(edited)

Perfectionist Jose is going to have a difficult time overlooking Rachel’s cystic acne scars. Not cystic acne shaming, just stating an opinion.

If I had to bet, I’d say that Bao probably got a full scholarship from U of H. With a background like hers, wasting big bucks to go to a higher status university wouldn’t make any sense. Wonder if/where she went to grad school.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Chellichik said:

I can get past the bald thing.  When I was single,I never would have considered a bald guy and may have even made that a “requirement if this show was around 20 years ago.  I was into long haired musician types.  I was at a sporting event and started talking to the guy next to me.  He was bald.  I gave him a chance and we have been married for over 18 years. 

Bao looks amazing…but I hate her bouquet.

I have a similar story. I never dated bald (or follically challenged) guys.  I was set up on a blind date and when he arrived and I opened my door the first thing I noticed was his eyes and thought he had the kindest eyes I’d ever seen and the feeling that I had “come home.”  That was it for me. We had a wonderful marriage until I lost him way too soon.  

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Chellichik said:

Bao looks amazing…but I hate her bouquet.

It did have one strange big flower in it.   They do have some beautiful wedding bouquets on this show. I'll give them credit!

Do we know what month they were married? I'm wondering it was in the winter months??

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Rightside said:

It did have one strange big flower in it.   They do have some beautiful wedding bouquets on this show. I'll give them credit!

Do we know what month they were married? I'm wondering it was in the winter months??

January 31st. That's what Johnny said to his father.

5 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

A-Marry a complete stranger?

B-Marry someone you crossed paths with in college but did not date over 10 years ago?

And explain why you made your choice…..

Remember, Johnny and Bao was 25 and 20 at college.  Bao said that she heard Johnny was a player and she didn't want that in a boyfriend at the time.  That doesn't mean that she wouldn't have eventually found 35 year old Johnny and sparked a relationship.  They were 2 totally different people back then.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Brett reminds me of some actress who always plays the star’s best friend but I can’t put my finger on the name. 

Brett reminds me a bit of BETH (Elizabeth, the redhead) who married JAMIE (bald) in the 9th season.  She was initially quite chaotic, but she simmered down, and with their mutual sense of humor, they've stayed together!  They've been on some recent MAFS interview shows.  Happy in California.  2 dogs.  No kids.  😄

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

January 31st. That's what Johnny said to his father.

Remember, Johnny and Bao was 25 and 20 at college.  Bao said that she heard Johnny was a player and she didn't want that in a boyfriend at the time.  That doesn't mean that she wouldn't have eventually found 35 year old Johnny and sparked a relationship.  They were 2 totally different people back then.

That doesn't sound right with Johnny and Bao was 25 and 20 at college. 

They are both 35 now, so ten years ago they were both 25.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3