Type keyword(s) to search

Martin's character

• Start Topic

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and wanted to post something regarding Martin Harris's character on cruel summer. I’m sure that I'm probably among the minority here and a lot of people won't agree with me on this, but I kind of liked Martin’s character. I thought he had a very interesting role in the show, and I liked him up until the point where he took Kate in his house. I understand why a lot of people condemned Martin's character because he did a lot of wrong things, such as grooming Kate, locking her up in his basement for 6 months, which of course was very wrong, but I’m referring to the time before episode 9  when Kate went to his house. I don't know maybe I could be wrong, but I didn't see any evilness in his character up until the time where he started becoming mean to Kate when she snuck out of the house on Christmas Eve, that was when I totally started to dislike him  because he was sounding very intimidating and scary.

Somehow, I kind of liked the friendship that Kate and Martin had in the beginning. I know that it was not an appropriate friendship since Kate is a minor, but I'm trying to look at it from another angle. In those scenes when Martin took her home, at the carnival, in Kate's backyard when they were looking up at the sky, it seemed Martin was being very caring towards Kate and trying to understand the situation she was going through with her family. He gave Kate good advice like to choose her battles etc. Though his behavior toward Kate was wrong and a lot found it creepy but deep down I felt his intentions were not evil or bad. He definitely did care for Kate and tried to understand what she was going through.

What I wish Martin would have done on the day Kate went to his house after her fight with her mom was talk  to her for a few minutes, assuring her that everything would be fine and that she should go back to her parents house, and explaining that running away from her parents is not a solution to the problem. I wish he did that instead of keeping her in his house, that was where he totally messed up, including lying to Joy when she showed up at his office inquiring about Kate was not good either. I will say though in his defense, he definitely had a lot of issues of his own and that's why I kind of empathize with his character. Another thing I liked about him was when he scolded Jeanette for leaving Gideon by himself at the carnival, that shows me that he's not a completely bad person and that he isn't heartless. I’m very sad that Martin got killed, what I would have liked to see happen is him going to jail for a good few years, him feeling bad  and repenting for what he did to Kate. My two favorite characters in this show were Kate and Martin, I felt they had an interesting friendship, up until episode 9.