Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Feet of Clay

• Start Topic

Even though I listened to the podcast, I was surprised all over again when Jerry staunchly defended Chris. 

Once again, I wish there was a good answer or at least a working theory as to why Chris did what he did. Personality disorder? Mental illness? Brain tumour? It's strange how the young Chris and the old Chris seem so different. 

I'm enjoying the show, as evidenced by the fact I'm binging it like crazy, but I'll never buy the fat makeup on JJ. It's just not believable, and I can't put my finger on why. 

It's astounding how many people had to turn a blind eye for him to get as far as he did. 

• Love 2
On 8/21/2021 at 10:37 AM, Melina22 said:

Even though I listened to the podcast, I was surprised all over again when Jerry staunchly defended Chris. 

Once again, I wish there was a good answer or at least a working theory as to why Chris did what he did. Personality disorder? Mental illness? Brain tumour? It's strange how the young Chris and the old Chris seem so different. 

I keep thinking about this, too. The only thing I can come up with is sociopathy, ego, and dupers delight. I think he never wanted to be a practicing doctor, he wanted to be in research. When he failed at that he figured he could reach the top by being a surgeon-only he was really, really bad at it. Through his over-inflated ego he figured that he could wing it. How hard could it be? He thought so much of himself that he may have honestly thought that he could just figure things out as he went. And when things did NOT go well, his lack of empathy made him figure, "Oh well, I'll do it right next time!" The longer he went and got away with it, the greater his ego and confidence grew. He avoided feeling bad by blaming everyone else for what happened and by not thinking if his patients as real people. He felt untouchable. That made him even MORE dangerous because at least in the beginning he cared a little about being good and trying, but after seeing that he wasn't getting in REAL trouble he dropped that pretense and just did whatever the fuck he wanted. Screwing up and hurting people and getting away with it may have led to a god complex that felt even better than helping people.

Basically, I don't think he destroyed people for the fun of it, I think it was because he just honestly didn't know what he was doing and didn't give a fuck. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

His kid was so cute. I do hope Dr. D actually loves his kids, but he's such a narcissist. The scene at the prison where they were together seemed genuine, but who's to say. Charming people is his thing. 

On 8/21/2021 at 10:37 AM, Melina22 said:

I'm enjoying the show, as evidenced by the fact I'm binging it like crazy, but I'll never buy the fat makeup on JJ. It's just not believable, and I can't put my finger on why. 

Personally, I think his face would be rounder instead of just adding the jowls he seems to have been given. 

On 9/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, mamadrama said:

Basically, I don't think he destroyed people for the fun of it, I think it was because he just honestly didn't know what he was doing and didn't give a fuck. 

I feel like he didn't know what he was doing and just couldn't admit that he couldn't do it. Like when he would think of an idea to "fix" the patients and like in Jerry's case he couldn't admit it, back off and just not make things worse. I think a personality disorder and/or maybe a learning disability is involved but I believe it's incompetence not malice in his surgery. Is he crazed? Yes, but I don't think he intentionally made his friend's paralysis worse or left a sponge in a patient on purpose. However he definitely should have known better.

The Jerry actor is doing a great job and has the best southern accent I've ever heard from a British actor. I see he was originally going to be played by Chris Sullivan, who I think would've been good, but this is just such a perfect performance. I hope he gets an Emmy nomination.

• Love 1