Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Surrounded

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

You're right of course, but if that's the case then why aren't the people that aren't rabbit hunting trying to catch more fish?  It seems like some are continuing to attempt fishing but others seem to have given up, presumably until they can place gill nets.  I think at least some of them have tried fishing and failed so I would think they'd do the math and decide that any protein, even with no fat on it is better than no protein at all, at least for now.

I think they are. I think they are spending a lot of time trying to catch fish but they are not going to show us an entire episode of people fishing with no success. Also, one contestant built the pier specifically because he knew he had no chance of catching fish from the shore. As the weather cools, the fish move further out and deeper where the water stays warmer. He knew that he had to get out deeper to have any luck. Same for Colter and his boat and Theresa with her weird fishing raft/line idea. They are trying to get to where the fish are going to be but it is not easy to do.

• Love 2
On 7/16/2021 at 7:16 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Very surprised Theresa didn't tap out after her insane bare-legged "fishing" in 35-degree water! Did she think she was a bear? And then getting (temporarily) lost? Fuhgeddaboutit! 🥶

I was pretty shocked to see bear traps that the participants could encounter! 😱

It's pretty impressive to me that these people can identify (and consume!) all kinds of wild edible plants/fungi. Who knew?! 😄

other than to provide you with the mandated 1 bowel-movement per week, that stuff costs you more calories to forage than they give back. Goggle how many calories plant foods offer per lb. it's disgusting. Mushrooms offer 100 lousy calories per lb. You need 3500 calories per day to be active out in the cold wind all day. Who can eat 35 lbs of mushrooms? If you ate enough plant foods to not lose weight, you'd crap yourself to death from taking in all of that fiber.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:06 PM, ProfCrash said:

I think they are. I think they are spending a lot of time trying to catch fish but they are not going to show us an entire episode of people fishing with no success. Also, one contestant built the pier specifically because he knew he had no chance of catching fish from the shore. As the weather cools, the fish move further out and deeper where the water stays warmer. He knew that he had to get out deeper to have any luck. Same for Colter and his boat and Theresa with her weird fishing raft/line idea. They are trying to get to where the fish are going to be but it is not easy to do.

Fowler was a fool. It took him  a week to make that "fishing dock" and then it got flooded.  In 2 days, you can make a pontoon outrigger raft and oars, oarlocks and use it to fish all over the lake, with the 2000 sq ft of netting you can make out of the cotton rope hammock He was a fool to waste a month building that nearly-worthless shelter, cut the steps into the hillside, harvest all of that firewood, all of that could have been avoided.  Cut a level spot into the hillside about 15 ft above the level of the lake, cause it's going to flood when it freezes. You only need about 8x15 ft of camp space. Drive some stakes, put logs against them, forming a retaining wall. Make a 5 ft long handle for the Cold steel shovel and you can have such a level spot in one day.  You dont need a warming fire if you know to make a proper debris/ice shelter in a day. So there's little need of climbing the hill eh? when  you set out 2000 sq ft of netting, used intelligently, with a pontoon raft, you'll catch a LOT more fish, with much less effort, than with 24 trotlines set along the shoreline, without having to be out in the cold much.  So you see, he failed miserably. He won only cause he out-weighed Carleigh by 90 lbs.

See, folks, when you know to take the Trifecta bivy from 2GoSystems and also take the reflective 12x12 tarp and the big roll of duct tape, you can make a set of water-proof clothing out of the tarp and have a lot of tarp- material left over for other things, like a dry bag for your tinder, and food storage bags.. By having an extra 2 layers of clothing, with debris stuffed under those layers, you can make pontoons for the raft, out of 2 sets of clothing, the backpack and the life vest.  EACH of the 6 pontoons will float a man. So it doesn't MATTER if any of the 8 small logs, out of which you make a raft FRAMEWORK, floats or not. You can make the oars, oarlocks, tripods for mounting the oarlocks in one day, and make the rest of the raft in one other day. almost all of it can be made by firelight, at your camp. too. Dont waste precious daylight on stuff you can do by fire-light.

Edited by dranelittle