Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
helenamonster

S16.E07: Auditions 7

Recommended Posts


Maybe I'm old, but I didn't understand a word of the teenage-girl band's song.

Hand balancing contortionist drag queen. I'll admit, it's something different.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe I'm old, but I didn't understand a word of the teenage-girl band's song.

Something about not fitting in and the cute boy doesn't like you and you're not a cheerleader. I liked them, but the performance was sloppy. 

My biggest takeaway from the night was:

Seriously? Michael Winslow?? That's cheating! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Another night of talent not from America.

Loved how after the hot pecs but boring Italian acrobat guy, Sophia says to Simon, “But what about the audience?” and the next shot is the most obvious green screen with their outlines looking so fake against the “audience.”

Could not understand a single word of the middle school girl band. And the judges looking back to the booing audience? Do they think we don’t know?

Police Academy guy was just kind of sad because being on the show indicates he didn’t do well enough to be past this kind of audition. Plus he had some sort of sound mixer on the stool, which defeats his whole talent value.

The mentalist (from not America). Easily forced the selection of those two winners. Those effects from his hand were SO obviously digital effects that no one live would see. How stupid do they they think AGT viewers are? Have we reached this low point of digital deception? What’s the point of watching any more? There is no reason to give any AGT magician or mentalist any chance at all if they’re going this far with special effects. Bullshit “this is a Vegas act” because you can’t recreate that live on stage. Total TV bullshit.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked the hip hop ballerinas, Hiplet. I loved how diverse they were, as I’m tired of seeing acts/TV shows/movies etc where there’s one token BIPOC in a sea of white people. And they had different body types! Yay! And I loved how much time they spent en pointe. 

One thing that makes me angry, and forgive me for ranting, is the lack of classical ballet in these shows. I haven’t watched SYTYCD in years because I can’t handle Mary Murphy and her god-awful screaming, so I can’t comment on that but I watched every season of World of Dance. I don’t think there was a single classical ballerina that got past auditions. Kayla Mak did well but she was a contemporary ballerina. And now we have Simon tell Hiplet something like “is this going to be the usual boring stuff we see?” Implying that classical ballet is boring. I love ballet (all forms) but it bothers me to think that classical ballet is not interesting enough, that dancers have to add contemporary, hip-hop or something else in order to impress people, keep them awake and make it past auditions. 
 

End rant. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. 😂 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I actually have wondered what happened to Michael Winslow. One of my favorite bits.

Couldn't understand the song either, she was singing too low and the band was drowning her out. Liked the Filipino boomerang batons. I assume he had a filament attached to swing them around but it was still fun. And sue me, but I liked the chicken drummer too. The parts where he was hitting drums and not squeaky toys demonstrated talent. More than the kid they had on a season or two ago that made it to the lives. Is it me or did a couple of the hip-hop ballerinas have enormous feet?

If you watched The Voice, you have seen Sarah Potenza before.

 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw AGT and yet again I'm asking the same question as before, "What has happened to AGT?"

A few points about the show.....

. I felt sorry for Michael Winslow because not only did he need equipment to help with his sound effects, but he wasn't all that good. Age has gotten the best of him.

. The drag queen was more hand balancing than contortionist. He didn't do anything special

. The girl band was refreshing to see because there aren't many bands on the show. But I think they need seasoning.

. The mentalist was kind of boring. Maybe his presentation needs some work.

. The glowing baton act was the best of the night!

. No golden buzzer? I thought for sure the singer with the cancer survivor wife would get the GB. All the boxes were checked. 

. The kid dancers and Mean Howie show was no doubt staged. The mother said Howie was mean for giving her other son an X when he performed. That's the issue I have with kids being on the show. The kids and parents should be able to accept an honest critique and not be treated special.

 

I think there has been "A Great White shark sighting" and AGT is fixing to leap over it!  If it hasn't already.

 

Edited by rr2911
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, rr2911 said:

I just saw AGT and yet again I'm asking the same question as before, "What has happened to AGT?"

. No golden buzzer? I thought for sure the singer with the cancer survivor wife would get the GB. All the boxes were checked.

 

 

 

Are there any golden buzzers left?  IIRC, each judge has awarded a golden buzzer, plus we had the "super golden buzzer" with all four judges plus Terry.  

ETA:. Six golden buzzers have been given.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Got_Talent_(season_16)

Edited by yankeefan · Reason: Added info.
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, yankeefan said:

Are there any golden buzzers left?  IIRC, each judge has awarded a golden buzzer, plus we had the "super golden buzzer" with all four judges plus Terry.

I was looking at the judge's table, and there didn't seem to even be a golden buzzer on it. I might have missed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Tango64 said:

 

The mentalist (from not America). Easily forced the selection of those two winners. Those effects from his hand were SO obviously digital effects that no one live would see. How stupid do they they think AGT viewers are? Have we reached this low point of digital deception? What’s the point of watching any more? There is no reason to give any AGT magician or mentalist any chance at all if they’re going this far with special effects. Bullshit “this is a Vegas act” because you can’t recreate that live on stage. Total TV bullshit. 

 

They were not digital effects. He used a hand held hologram. Amazon sells them. So the judges did see the hologram live.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rr2911 said:

They were not digital effects. He used a hand held hologram. Amazon sells them. So the judges did see the hologram live.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong about that. But the effects still looked way too good to me to be that kind of hologram. I guess the fact I assumed AGT shenanigans indicates how little I trust this show now. And the second late night Scotch, that too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Is it me or did a couple of the hip-hop ballerinas have enormous feet?

Haha I always think that with ballet dancers but I’m pretty sure it’s their pointe shoes; they add just a little extra length.

I...didn’t like any of the acts today. Not even Michael Winslow, who was always a favorite in the Police Academy movies. His material just wasn’t very funny this time. As soon as he came on stage I wanted him to do silly things like his kung fu movie impersonation. Instead, he..messed with a flight attendant? Hilarious! Sigh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a heterosexual female who likes sexy guys but boy am I getting tired of buff men coming on stage and, at some point in their routine, removing their shirts (usually ripping them off) and an immediate cut to Heidi and Sofia swooning like they haven't seen a muscular male chest in 6 years. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, rr2911 said:

The kid dancers and Mean Howie show was no doubt staged. The mother said Howie was mean for giving her other son an X when he performed. That's the issue I have with kids being on the show. The kids and parents should be able to accept an honest critique and not be treated special.

This is why I hate when they put little kids on.  The mother was basically saying her son should have been given a pass because HE WAS A CHILD.  I HATE when we're supposed to think someone is wonderful because they are "good for their age."  NO, it's the same as when some incredibly old dancer comes on and people ooh and ahh because they are X years old and basically dancing without a walker or we're told someone is a wonderful singer because they've faced hardships.  People should simply be talented.  They should have an enjoyable act.  It shouldn't be that they are good in spite of their challenges.  I'm old, not thin and amazingly average in looks, does this mean I should be the next supermodel because I'm willing to try to walk the catwalk even though I have "obstacles to conventional beauty"?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Was impressed by the updated dancing cane routine (glow stick guy). Didn't care about any other act.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The girl band needs to stop moving and focus on their sound.  It is not easy to maintain sound quality while moving around so much.  Not everyone can be Freddie Mercury.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

This is why I hate when they put little kids on.  The mother was basically saying her son should have been given a pass because HE WAS A CHILD.  I HATE when we're supposed to think someone is wonderful because they are "good for their age."  NO, it's the same as when some incredibly old dancer comes on and people ooh and ahh because they are X years old and basically dancing without a walker or we're told someone is a wonderful singer because they've faced hardships.  People should simply be talented.  They should have an enjoyable act.  It shouldn't be that they are good in spite of their challenges.  I'm old, not thin and amazingly average in looks, does this mean I should be the next supermodel because I'm willing to try to walk the catwalk even though I have "obstacles to conventional beauty"?

This is my pet peeve with this show, and it gets worse every year. Of course, I have no delusions that it's going away and will probably increase. But with every act that gets praised to the heavens and back, I ask myself "would they get the same response if they weren't young, old, disabled in some way, have a sob story?" And the answer is almost always "no." 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Cirque du Kung Fu was really good.  Props to Yo Yo sticks guy.  Mentalist with holograms was a nice add-on to prior such acts.  In sum, this is about as good as AGT can do.

Howie as Howard is getting old.  Come to think of it, how awesome would Stern have been if a stage mom would have confronted him like that?  Howie was absolutely correct about the girl band, though.

The slice-of-life montage at the top of the show, until it got to the jidges, was fantastic.  SYCO continues to be very impressive in this area.

 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/14/2021 at 2:54 PM, Tango64 said:

Okay, maybe I'm wrong about that. But the effects still looked way too good to me to be that kind of hologram. I guess the fact I assumed AGT shenanigans indicates how little I trust this show now. And the second late night Scotch, that too. 

I can see where you're going. I would've preferred an old fashion mentalist type show with no modern gadgets. But the holograms were real. I've a T-Rex hologram that looked pretty cool!

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2021 at 8:47 PM, Tango64 said:

Another night of talent not from America.

Loved how after the hot pecs but boring Italian acrobat guy, Sophia says to Simon, “But what about the audience?” and the next shot is the most obvious green screen with their outlines looking so fake against the “audience.”

Could not understand a single word of the middle school girl band. And the judges looking back to the booing audience? Do they think we don’t know?

Police Academy guy was just kind of sad because being on the show indicates he didn’t do well enough to be past this kind of audition. Plus he had some sort of sound mixer on the stool, which defeats his whole talent value.

The mentalist (from not America). Easily forced the selection of those two winners. Those effects from his hand were SO obviously digital effects that no one live would see. How stupid do they they think AGT viewers are? Have we reached this low point of digital deception? What’s the point of watching any more? There is no reason to give any AGT magician or mentalist any chance at all if they’re going this far with special effects. Bullshit “this is a Vegas act” because you can’t recreate that live on stage. Total TV bullshit.

 

 

 

 

 

Late to the party, because it's not worth being on time for the party anymore.  Hulu is my friend.  Unfortunately I'm too cheap to pay double the price for the ad-free version so I suffered along with you all here anyway.

I learned a new French word today!  Mentaliste.

Was the reject section unusually long this time?

There was not a Golden Buzzer.  Goodie.

Edited by CrystalBlue · Reason: Was not What although I could have said "What TF was up with the long Gong Show imitation?
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, rr2911 said:

I just saw AGT and yet again I'm asking the same question as before, "What has happened to AGT?"

A few points about the show.....

. I felt sorry for Michael Winslow because not only did he need equipment to help with his sound effects, but he wasn't all that good. Age has gotten the best of him.

. The drag queen was more hand balancing than contortionist. He didn't do anything special

. The girl band was refreshing to see because there aren't many bands on the show. But I think they need seasoning.

. The mentalist was kind of boring. Maybe his presentation needs some work.

. The glowing baton act was the best of the night!

. No golden buzzer? I thought for sure the singer with the cancer survivor wife would get the GB. All the boxes were checked. 

. The kid dancers and Mean Howie show was no doubt staged. The mother said Howie was mean for giving her other son an X when he performed. That's the issue I have with kids being on the show. The kids and parents should be able to accept an honest critique and not be treated special.

 

I think there has been "A Great White shark sighting" and AGT is fixing to leap over it!  If it hasn't already.

 

Totally staged and a bunch of hooey.  Hey mom, your cute little brats weren't that great either.  At least the girl did her HMV move to the side of the stage and we didn't have to see a shot of it.  I hate kid acts.  Boo fucking hoo that the oldest adorable little moppet in your fam got dissed in 2016.

I love Mean Howie.  He's not being mean just to be mean; he always has a point, even if it's subjective.  Simon says ballet is boring to him and everyone still slathers over over him.

Yes, I think the waters are getting dangerous now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was really looking forward to this episode, I needed some distractions and a couple hours of fun viewing. The show started off with the Ninja dad and kid and I was WOW'd and even yelled "Oh, EFF!" at my tv when dad stepped onto and stood on the stick balanced in space. They were fantastic and I was so happy to e watching this show. Plus, shallow note, Dad was super hot.

Then the ballerina group came on and Simon starts that segment by moaning that ballet is boring. WTH Simon, how can anyone watch a video of Baryshnikov dancing solo and call THAT boring? You are a dumbass cretin Simon. But I already knew that.

Anyway, so the "ballerinas" tore off their tutus and danced some common (non) dance moves that every local high school group does better, except they had on pointe shoes so could do some while en pointe. Of course, their routine was prefaced by them crying and boo hooing that they weren't accepted as real ballerinas because of their race, weight, height ... never mentioned they weren't good enough to make it into a real ballet troupe. This show is becoming all about "being yourself." I hated them.

Then Sweet Sassy got four red Xs, yet the judges have to kill some time so all can vote no. What's up with that?

Then we get a long series of stupid acts that all get Xs and no votes. My euphoria over the first act is long gone and now I am depressed watching all the dreck and manufactured drama on this crap show.

The Marine drummer was set up to be something special, then they trashcanned him. WTH was up with the chicken routine. I don't know because he wasn't allowed to finish. That dumbass in a peacock suit got more time than all of the above acts combined and four yesses on top of it.

Next we get an overweight woman singer who sings AGT's 2021 theme of how she's not accepted and can't be a singer because she's too heavy. Of course all the judges tell her how wonderful she is and how she fits in and she's through to the next round. *sigh* We're all being taught to "be ourselves" yet somehow that doesn't work all that well IRL. But then, this is scripted teevee, so okay.

Grandpa and a little girl tap dance. I mind wandered but I think they didn't go through. I guess the old guy kept the kid from going auto through like all little kid acts do. Next time, stay home gramps.

Michael and Angelina, kid dancers. All I can say is little kids need to get used to rejection slips if they want to be in show business. I would have sent them home with their bratty mother who was horrid. i can't imagine she's much nicer IRL, hawking her kids all over like that. Get a job, mom. But thank you show for only showing us a partial HMV at the end. UGH.

Dogs took too long outside so I missed the shirtless guy on the pole. So I watched his act on YouTube. Funny thing, Simon told him his act was boring and when the guy has two or three MINUTES to perform, he needed to step it up. Except he was only given maybe 20 seconds of screen time, and that was shared with judge reaction shots and lots of the next act guy watching from back stage. So how are we, the viewers, suppose to know if his act was boring or not, trust Simon? No thanks. Of course Simon got his way and he was sent home.

Next was the guy from the Philippines in a black suit who was performing for some social issue blah blah blah bring attention to his home country blah. He looked cool in his black suit, then he made some white sticks and a white hula hoop fly around him, an act I thought was boring yet Simon et. al. gave him four yesses. Alrighty then.

Dad and daughter dancers and married aerialists brought us to the three junior high girls who thought they were the Rolling Stones. I couldn't hear one word of their "song" and I actually LOL'd when the guitar girl leaped (sort of) into the air a la Mick Jagger. They SUCKED. And Simon forced Sofia and Heidi to vote them through. *sigh* I'd rather see Marine Chicken Drummer than these chicks. And the whole time I was thinking AGT is going to be overrun with Insta and Tik Tok kid acts ... although thinking about it, that's probably where AGT TPTB found these kids.

The Police Academy voice guy was next. I'd never heard of him but was surprised all of the judges knew him like he was an old pal. So odd, they know this guy but have never heard of Josh Blue? I thought his act was ... non-existent. I couldn't tell what he was suppose to be doing, plus he had a machine that was reproducing or creating whatever sound he was suppose to be making. Big NO from me. So of course everyone's pal got four yesses.

The mentalist ... I usually like these acts and can't figure how they are done (and don't want to know) but this guy was SO BAD there wasn't one part of his "trick" that wasn't obvious how he did it. Worst.Mentalist.EVAH. Then at the end he has Terry write the names on a slate ... and oddly, Terry wrote two names in totally different styles, why is Kodi Lee in a weird letters with a dotted I and Shin Lim written like Terry actually DID write it, and the I is not dotted. Was Terry possessed by demons when he wrote "KODI LEE"? Check it out. And does anyone know why that black jacket was hung over the back of Terry's chair? I rewatched that segment and it started out on the chair and stayed on the chair. Geesh.

1958387963_kodileesign.jpg.243918de0d0a5773dafded261f9d3eec.jpg

Next was the drag contortionist in a clingy red body suit. I will say she was good, pretty, and kept my attention. Even if the body suit was, well, a bit too clingy in certain areas. But who am I to complain, right?

Last was the Brain Cancer Singer who I guess was okay but I tend to do other things during singer acts. Too bad this person missed all the GBs.

Next week Terry gets to take his shirt off. I will time the dogs' outside event during that part.

Hope everyone got to take advantage of Tuesday being Fry Day now that the free tots offer is over with.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was really looking forward to this episode, I needed some distractions and a couple hours of fun viewing. The show started off with the Ninja dad and kid and I was WOW'd and even yelled "Oh, EFF!" at my tv when dad stepped onto and stood on the stick balanced in space. They were fantastic and I was so happy to e watching this show. Plus, shallow note, Dad was super hot.

Then the ballerina group came on and Simon starts that segment by moaning that ballet is boring. WTH Simon, how can anyone watch a video of Baryshnikov dancing solo and call THAT boring? You are a dumbass cretin Simon. But I already knew that.

Anyway, so the "ballerinas" tore off their tutus and danced some common (non) dance moves that every local high school group does better, except they had on pointe shoes so could do some while en pointe. Of course, their routine was prefaced by them crying and boo hooing that they weren't accepted as real ballerinas because of their race, weight, height ... never mentioned they weren't good enough to make it into a real ballet troupe. This show is becoming all about "being yourself." I hated them.

Then Sweet Sassy got four red Xs, yet the judges have to kill some time so all can vote no. What's up with that?

Then we get a long series of stupid acts that all get Xs and no votes. My euphoria over the first act is long gone and now I am depressed watching all the dreck and manufactured drama on this crap show.

The Marine drummer was set up to be something special, then they trashcanned him. WTH was up with the chicken routine. I don't know because he wasn't allowed to finish. That dumbass in a peacock suit got more time than all of the above acts combined and four yesses on top of it.

Next we get an overweight woman singer who sings AGT's 2021 theme of how she's not accepted and can't be a singer because she's too heavy. Of course all the judges tell her how wonderful she is and how she fits in and she's through to the next round. *sigh* We're all being taught to "be ourselves" yet somehow that doesn't work all that well IRL. But then, this is scripted teevee, so okay.

Grandpa and a little girl tap dance. I mind wandered but I think they didn't go through. I guess the old guy kept the kid from going auto through like all little kid acts do. Next time, stay home gramps.

Michael and Angelina, kid dancers. All I can say is little kids need to get used to rejection slips if they want to be in show business. I would have sent them home with their bratty mother who was horrid. i can't imagine she's much nicer IRL, hawking her kids all over like that. Get a job, mom. But thank you show for only showing us a partial HMV at the end. UGH.

Dogs took too long outside so I missed the shirtless guy on the pole. So I watched his act on YouTube. Funny thing, Simon told him his act was boring and when the guy has two or three MINUTES to perform, he needed to step it up. Except he was only given maybe 20 seconds of screen time, and that was shared with judge reaction shots and lots of the next act guy watching from back stage. So how are we, the viewers, suppose to know if his act was boring or not, trust Simon? No thanks. Of course Simon got his way and he was sent home.

Next was the guy from the Philippines in a black suit who was performing for some social issue blah blah blah bring attention to his home country blah. He looked cool in his black suit, then he made some white sticks and a white hula hoop fly around him, an act I thought was boring yet Simon et. al. gave him four yesses. Alrighty then.

Dad and daughter dancers and married aerialists brought us to the three junior high girls who thought they were the Rolling Stones. I couldn't hear one word of their "song" and I actually LOL'd when the guitar girl leaped (sort of) into the air a la Mick Jagger. They SUCKED. And Simon forced Sofia and Heidi to vote them through. *sigh* I'd rather see Marine Chicken Drummer than these chicks. And the whole time I was thinking AGT is going to be overrun with Insta and Tik Tok kid acts ... although thinking about it, that's probably where AGT TPTB found these kids.

The Police Academy voice guy was next. I'd never heard of him but was surprised all of the judges knew him like he was an old pal. So odd, they know this guy but have never heard of Josh Blue? I thought his act was ... non-existent. I couldn't tell what he was suppose to be doing, plus he had a machine that was reproducing or creating whatever sound he was suppose to be making. Big NO from me. So of course everyone's pal got four yesses.

The mentalist ... I usually like these acts and can't figure how they are done (and don't want to know) but this guy was SO BAD there wasn't one part of his "trick" that wasn't obvious how he did it. Worst.Mentalist.EVAH. Then at the end he has Terry write the names on a slate ... and oddly, Terry wrote two names in totally different styles, why is Kodi Lee in a weird letters with a dotted I and Shin Lim written like Terry actually DID write it, and the I is not dotted. Was Terry possessed by demons when he wrote "KODI LEE"? Check it out. And does anyone know why that black jacket was hung over the back of Terry's chair? I rewatched that segment and it started out on the chair and stayed on the chair. Geesh.

1958387963_kodileesign.jpg.243918de0d0a5773dafded261f9d3eec.jpg

Next was the drag contortionist in a clingy red body suit. I will say she was good, pretty, and kept my attention. Even if the body suit was, well, a bit too clingy in certain areas. But who am I to complain, right?

Last was the Brain Cancer Singer who I guess was okay but I tend to do other things during singer acts. Too bad this person missed all the GBs.

Next week Terry gets to take his shirt off. I will time the dogs' outside event during that part.

Hope everyone got to take advantage of Tuesday being Fry Day now that the free tots offer is over with.

Scarlett Business, the drag queen contortionist, had equal time for HMP.  Why should the tiny tots have all the fun?

You nailed the "ballerina" act.  I'd rather hear the unaccepted because of her weight singer again because at least she can sing.

The female version of the Hansons should've sang "MMMBop" instead of their unintelligible middle school dreck.  Hopefully we'll never see them again.

Excellent post, with the highlights to me bolded.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

This week seemed higher than average on "mixed" acts:  the mentalist with a hologram; the ballet/hip hop dancers, and the hand-balancing contortionist drag queen.  (Whether "kid dancers" is a mixed act is open to interpretation; everyone was a kid, but they'd probably be billed that way.)

Ballet has one challenge that isn't ballet's fault:  done badly, it is boring; done well, it's breathtaking.  That's true of most things, though some things (like cooking and singing) bottom out at worse than "boring."  One way to cover that is to try to mix genres, like "We're dancers who..."  so that was a good effort.  Some things mix well (comedy and magic); some don't (juggling and chess hasn't been successfully blended yet). 

The other challenge is that if your act depends on a reveal, like the dancers, what do you follow it up with?  That's where Scarlett Business has an edge:  different costumes and moves can give an act more range.  The hologram mentalist can do other holograms (and there are a lot of mentalist tricks); I don't know if the hip-hop ballet dancers would do another style of dance, or go from more hip hop to conventional ballet, or what. 

ETA:  for the girl band, the sound mixing did them no favors.  The lead singer had a microphone, and may have expected/been used to amplifying her voice to be heard over the rest of the band.  I'm not giving them a pass, but I'm saving my judgment for the show (where someone is being paid to fix issues like this.)

 

 

 

Edited by marketdoctor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have to admit that I’m not really much of a ballet fan either. Yes, Baryshnikov and Nureyev were great to watch, and the sheer power and skill that goes into it (regardless of the dancer’s gender) deserves - and receives - my utmost respect, but I never can watch an entire ballet when it pops up on PBS unless it’s Nutcracker, and then it’s about the music for me rather than the dancing. 

I have a friend who used to dance in a small ballet company in my town, and I went to a couple of their performances. After only ever seeing ballet on tv, what shocked me the most was how loud it was: the thump-thump-thump as they hit the floor and the sound of their slippers scuffing completely distracted me to the point that I don’t think I’ll ever watch live ballet again. I am not kidding: it was all swish-thump, swish-thump for two hours. I just don’t know how people could take Swan Lake seriously with that; I’ll stick to the orchestra recordings.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size