Type keyword(s) to search

Eureka - General Discussion

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Can't believe there isn't a Eureka topic.  But can't find one, so here it is.

Wow, what timing!  I was just looking for one!

I love this series; I am re-watching it now for the nth time, just starting on season 1.

Love the stories, love the characters, love everything about it.  Hope some people join us here!

I've been doing a re-watch.  And somewhere in season 3, I realized that my memory is kind of vague about entire plots in the second half of the series. I'm watching this unfold with a vague sense of deja vu and no flipping idea how anything unfolds until its put on screen in front of me.  

I just hit season 4.  I started the season with a vague 'crap, the other (another?) time reset' because I will forever dislike the first one for turning Jack/Allison from a couple I ship to something I wanted because Jack wanted it. And I have a vague recollection of not being particularly thrilled with James Callis' guest starting role. And rewatch did not fix that.

But I love these episodes in the first half of season 4.  I love them with a giddiness that makes me cackle at the screen.  This is not something that I felt in the prior seasons though I always liked this show. I wonder if this is something I realized in the first go around of the show, that there was a resurgence, or elevation of goodness, in the first half of season 4.

Jack being happy makes me happy.  Jack and Jo being roommates makes me happy. I have no freaking idea  how it happened, but Zane and Jo being fracked up by time makes me actively ship them.  Ex-counseling was genius in the decision of who Jack saw and Allison didn't see.  And I think the humor took a bit of a turn in season 4 in a way the gels with me.  Not that it wasn't funny before, but this is different.

And my new favorite scene of all time (for now) is when Jack gets the bad news.,..  "Someone robbed a bank" double fist pump "Yea!"  Such joy, at the prospect of an ordinary crime.

And I have virtually no memory of what comes next.  Seriously, all I know about the next season and a half is that Allison ticks me off at least one more time in how she sometimes treats Jack like he's a moron.  And there is a claymation/cartoon Christmas special.

This rewatching with no memory thing is nice.  It been a long time since I've found a show must see.  Nice of my memory to delete it so I can watch it for the first time again.  I'm even reliving not having spoiler impulse control because I can skim through the thumbnails before watching the whole episode.  Its that bad (or good), folks.  I'll have to go see what other shows I think I remember but don't actually and rewatch them too.

So that's it for now.  I'm going to go find out who stole the bank.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I've been doing a re-watch.  And somewhere in season 3, I realized that my memory is kind of vague about entire plots in the second half of the series. I'm watching this unfold with a vague sense of deja vu and no flipping idea how anything unfolds until its put on screen in front of me.  

It's the same for me - I remember episodes as I watch, but don't remember ahead of seeing them again.  It's sort of  like watching a new episodes, but with the "oh yeah, I remember now".  They are still new, which is enjoyable.

I love this show  for its originality and creativity.  I'm tired of the cookie cutter series; I rarely watch new shows any more.  I'd rather visit shows like Eureka again, because I know I already love them.

I don't like the time flip storyline either; in fact, last time I re-watched I skipped those episodes, and will probably do so again.

There is so much humor in the series - so many throw-away lines and moments like little gems scattered throughout.  The writing for this series just blows me away.  Everyone just nails their parts, especially the sheriff.

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

And my new favorite scene of all time (for now) is when Jack gets the bad news.,..  "Someone robbed a bank" double fist pump "Yea!"  Such joy, at the prospect of an ordinary crime.

Perfection.  Of course, being Eureka, it is not your usual bank robbery.  Great episode.

But then, there are so many great episodes.  Major kudos to the writers.

I may have had a few issues with various timeflip episodes, but overall I thought the series did it well. There were consequences, it didn't go perfectly, and it enabled the characters to grow and change for a reason, not just a new writer or the actor threatening to leave. And the other day on the road I passed a car identical to mine going the opposite direction, and thought of the beginning/end of Eureka.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ananayel said:

I may have had a few issues with various timeflip episodes, but overall I thought the series did it well. There were consequences, it didn't go perfectly, and it enabled the characters to grow and change for a reason, not just a new writer or the actor threatening to leave.

Yes, it was a good way to re-set the series, with the characters (except the sheriff) moving into different roles - especially Fargo as head of GD! - and different life situations (like Henry being married and the change in Kevin).  Jo as head of GD security was awesome.

Another thing I mean to mention about Eureka that I love is the music - so bouncy and cheerful; it sets up the mood and supports the humorous tone of the series.

1 hour ago, Ananayel said:

And the other day on the road I passed a car identical to mine going the opposite direction, and thought of the beginning/end of Eureka.

That was a great set of bookends!

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1

Interesting to see this topic pop up. I originally checked here back when I started streaming this show, first time viewing, a few months back, and was disappointed I did not see a forum for it. I really wanted to see other people’s take on the show, and now here it is.

I wound up really enjoying the show. The cast had a very good dynamic. From the beginning you had Jack and Nathan’s frenemy’s and the constant ribbing they would give each other. I do have to say, that Colin Furgeson surprised me. Known only to me as the “Maytag Man” he is truly underrated as an actor. He handled the combination of drama, what with his facial expressions and being able to well up his eyes at the drop of a dime, to his comedic timing and his physical slap stick pratfall capabilities. A well rounded actor, so shocked I haven’t seen him in many more projects. I also enjoyed detective Andy a lot and wonder if the actors face hurt after having to smile that big smile all the time on camera. I also loved how when Jack said something “smart” and people would look at him all “Hey good thinking Jack” he would beam and be all “What, I pay attention and can learn…” especially toward the end when Zoe was always proud when he did do something like that.

I think I felt bad for Henry the most. His character kept getting the shaft. His first love was vaporized, had to give her up again after altering the events which Jack had to fix, and then wiped Jack’s memory of the event while still holding a grudge against his friend, and then she came back as a living computer database that got destroyed when they had to extract the information she held. Time travel to the past to return to wife he doesn’t remember, falls in love anyway only to find out she (and his other timeline self) were spies against GD. The man needed a break.

The additions of Felicia Day and Will Weaton to the cast was interesting and gave Fargo someone to play off of. I like when Weaton get’s to play the more dickish characters. Here, Dark Matter, Leverage. He plays asshole well.

Supporting cast was good also. I like all of them. Zoe, Jo, Vincent, Larry, Zane. Overall fun all around.

The only constant thing that bugged throughout the show was the choice to have Neil Grayston voice Sarah the house, and Matt Frewer doing a bad Aussie accent.

• Love 3
(edited)

Halfway through my third re-watch, and still loving it!!

Great sum-up of the show.  There are so many things to love about it!

One of the things I love most is how the "ordinary Joe" sheriff is the one who comes up with the solution, or at least asks a question that leads to one of the others coming up with it.   And of course the sheriff is the one who usually has to perform whatever action needs to be taken.

Edited by treeofdreams
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Halfway through my third re-watch, and still loving it!!

Great sum-up of the show.  There are so many things to love about it!

One of the things I love most is how the "ordinary Joe" sheriff is the one who comes up with the solution, or at least asks a question that leads to one of the others coming up with it.   And of course the sheriff is the one who usually has to perform whatever action needs to be taken.

Holly sums it up nicely toward the end of the last season, when she was getting her memories back. "Oh you are all the geniuses and he's the strength that holds you all together."

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Holly sums it up nicely toward the end of the last season, when she was getting her memories back. "Oh you are all the geniuses and he's the strength that holds you all together."

Yes, very well put.  They are all off in their scientific/genius heads, and he has his feet on the practical ground.  "Street smart" is how Zoe put it.

I just re-watched the episode where Nathan vaporizes.  I was sorry to see him go; he and Carter did have such a good dynamic going.  But I suppose the plan all along was to get Carter and Alison together by the end.

Finally, this site has a Eureka topic! One of my favorite shows to rewatch!

I have nothing to add at this time since I haven't watched it in a while but I'm very happy there is a topic now! Thank you.

Well, maybe one thing: Colin Ferguson has probably the best comedic timing on this show.

And I could have done without resurrecting Felicia Day in the last season.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Well, maybe one thing: Colin Ferguson has probably the best comedic timing on this show.

I agree!  Perfect timing, facial expressions, physical comedy, the whole enchilada.  I don't know what else he has been in, but this role was tailor made for him, a perfect showcase of his talent.

52 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Finally, this site has a Eureka topic! One of my favorite shows to rewatch!

I am on my third or fourth re-watch, and still enjoying it immensely.  It is so creative and so imaginative.  And original, something I really appreciate amidst all the formula shows.

• Love 1

I’m pretty sure the previous version of this site had a Eureka topic because I remember posting on it when the show was airing. It was a good time. 

I just finished a rewatch and I’d forgotten how much I loved this show. It really was excellent. 

I watched Eureka on Prime a few times now.  Is there a missing episode? On one of the "Last time on Eureka" they show the Jamie Ray Newman character arguing with Carter. She's a hologram coming from Australia. Was that in an episode or was it just thrown in? 

On 7/21/2021 at 5:14 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

The only constant thing that bugged throughout the show was the choice to have Neil Grayston voice Sarah the house, and Matt Frewer doing a bad Aussie accent.

Taggert was basically "crazier" Steve Irwin.  And S.A.R.A.H. being Fargo talking like a girl because he couldn't get Sarah Michelle Gellar was hilarious to me.  It was amazing how much emotion Grayston was able to pack into a falsetto voice.

The final season kind of fell down a bit because of "Oh noes.  Holly is broken and must be healed/repaired.  Again."  I really wish the show had had a real sixth season to tie everything up a little better.

I love this show honestly but...Allison she's a good person but by god does she drive me nuts. She leads both Nathan and Jack along, ping ponging between them far too easily in my opinion and unintentionally pitting them against each other and almost completely ruining one of the best potential friendships.

Nathan and Jack's relationship and its slow, slow progression through the episodes is one of my absolute favourite points in the entire show and when Nathan dies...it partly ruined it for me. The last 2 seasons were fantastic but without that relationship it felt empty to me somehow.

I don't know if my opinion is popular or unpopular but I genuinely felt that a relationship between Nathan and Jack would be far more interesting, entertaining and romantic with more in depth layers -shrugs-

Another thing I often wonder is if Jack's IQ really is 111. He's no scientist of course but he picks up things quickly once they are explained and then there's that gun test thing. He kept failing the written version, several times, but a more practical based, oral test he absolutely nailed.