Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E02. Wild Card #1 and Nominations #1

• Start Topic

Frenchie bugs.   His accent comes on strong in the DR, and is much less when he's just talking anywhere else. I really hope he has other outfits other than overalls. It's like Production is trying to "Donnie" him up.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

This is absolutely the vibe I got. He didn't know any of them well enough to be throwing around insults like "meat heads" (talk about stereotyping!) so jealousy is the only thing that makes sense. "I'm going to snub you before you have a chance to snub me!" The second he realized they weren't snubbing him, his whole strategy changed. 

Yup - really into stereotyping for someone who believes he's so 'woke'.  Definitely seems insecure and jealous. Maybe guys like these were the 'school yard bully' to him when he was growing up ? 

1 hour ago, Wandering Snark said:

He said, from what I could tell, that he needs someone he know will be a good veto partner to help get his plan fully enacted and keep his target on the block. But he obviously didn't think to tell Kyland he was planning on "working with him" via his going up on the block. So really BOTH of his noms are going to have people coming after him in the following weeks. Nice work there Brandon...

Thanks for this explanation - for the life of me, I couldn't grasp what he said was his reasoning for putting him up as a nominee. This makes sense. No wonder he took Kylund by surprise. 

• Love 4

I guess Frenchie, surrounded by so many good looking well-built dudes in the house, is quite a bit jealous of each of them. He knows the girls are going to pair up with them and certainly not him once his reign of HOH is over. He'll be afloat with no one else in his boat.  So naturally, he wants to call them 'meatheads' and target them.

Eh, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he knows this game at all, he knows the alpha males typically bond quickly and run the table from Day 1. You really have very few chances to prevent that from happening, and year after year it keeps happening because people don't take the shot early on. 

His originally stated goal was smart. I just think he blew it telling everyone they were safe then going back on his word. He also fell prey to Brent manipulating him and jumped the gun going after Alyssa. He overplayed. I really don't think it's because he's jealous. 

And let's face it, the alpha males this show casts are, in fact, meatheads. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Frenchie decided to keep Travis safe because he was one of the first 4 men and Frenchie promised safety to them after they finished the first comp.

Xavier was part of that group too, but wisely didn’t tell Christian, Sarah and Allyssa that.  So when the women told Christian Frenchie told them they were safe, Christian didn’t know X was safe too, and used his one extra safety on X instead of them.

So now Allyssa will pay (unless there’s a back door to come).  And Frenchie made rookie mistakes of telling 3/4 of the house they were safe when he should know BB always has some safety trick up their sleeve.  

New season , same as the old season.  2 POC nominated.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm kinda lost here. I just started posting here within the last year or two, but most of the people on this forum hate the big, muscular guys who they label as "bros." They constantly talk about wanting to get them out from the start. Now that Frenchie says he wants to do that, people on this forum say that he is unfairly stereotyping them and isn't giving them a chance? 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Frenchie has the legitimate excuse of his target gaining safety, which he did not have at the time of the safety assurances to everyone.

Shouldn't he know the game better than that?  Things always change.

I mostly watch "Survivor" over Big Brother, but the same thing always happens on Survivor.  The person who is most targeted for the next vote so often ends up winning Immunity.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Now that Frenchie says he wants to do that

Herein lies the issue he only SAID he was going to do it, but didn't actually do it. He COULD have put up Travis for example but would have to go back on his word that he was safe. So instead he went back on the 'won't nominate a woman' instead thinking that getting rid of a potential showmance was now the way to go. If you're breaking your word to half the house, maybe it would have been better to go back on a single promise instead of ones to the whole house.

Spoiler

And he also went back on what has come out as his supposed vow to also keep the POC safe, so BOTH of his noms went back on promises. As his noms went back on two promises, one with half the house, he could have just broken the deal to keep Travis safe. It comes down to he just didin't have the balls to go through with his original plan.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Now that Frenchie says he wants to do that, people on this forum say that he is unfairly stereotyping them and isn't giving them a chance? 

Remember that there are lots of us on this forum and we all have our own opinions. There isn't just one viewpoint here, even though it sometimes might look that way. I see lots of things posted here I don't personally agree with, and I'm certain I post lots of things some others don't agree with. But we all love BB so we all get along and have fun. 

Personally, I have no problem with "bros" if they're kind and likeable. I don't like to see people of any kind stereotyped ahead of time, whether it's bros or nerds or... anyone. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

I'm kinda lost here. I just started posting here within the last year or two, but most of the people on this forum hate the big, muscular guys who they label as "bros." They constantly talk about wanting to get them out from the start. Now that Frenchie says he wants to do that, people on this forum say that he is unfairly stereotyping them and isn't giving them a chance? 

Because Frenchie is taking a quick look at another guy, saying "he works out and is fairly good-looking, I know all about him." He's not giving anyone a chance to have a personality besides having muscles. 

It takes more than muscles to be a "bro"  or a "meathead."   In past seasons, it's been the mentality, the "we're awesome, we will win every comp! And the girls will love us!   let's form an alliance cause we're better than the rest of these guys!"  that has led to the labeling of "dudebros".  There's a perspective of entitlement that goes along with it.   And part of it is the assumption that they can each choose a woman to sleep with them.  (sadly, the women on this show have seemed to go along with this.) 

Frenchie labeled people by the size of their biceps, instead of getting to know anything about them. 

• Love 8

Also, people of colour and women aren't props to use to make yourself look good. That's my problem with Frenchie. He cares about the optics of the act, not the reason behind it. He's basically a walking, talking mash-up of the White Saviour trope and the Captain Save a Ho trope. He's playing to the BB Twitter audience (which he is a part of) and figures that he's going to get him a Daenerys moment from the fandom when he gets out.

dany1.gif

• Love 8

If you go by looks alone, I would not think Christian is a meathead. I was surprised Frenchie labeled him that way. I think Christian seems annoying.  But, I haven't watched any feeds yet. It takes me a while to really get into the game. 

I was surprised at how many people Frenchie was promising safety to. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, mojoween said:

when Whatsherface the pretend voice actress said that Frenchie said all the girls were safe, I give Christian props for figuring out the ramifications of that, and keeping it to himself.

I love that the editors gave us a reaction shot of Christian then, and the sound editors played the "rattlesnake" sound to indicate danger.  Little details such as that keep this show great, IMO.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:30 AM, CrazyDog said:

Way to alienate half the house, Frenchie. Lol.

I think this underestimates things.  Frenchie broke his "I won't nominate women" promise to Alyssa, so I'm thinking most of the other women are feeling lied to, as well.  And the guys can't be thrilled to know they were targeted purely out of sexism.  He may have some loyalty from his teammates, but he's burnt himself nicely, I'm thinking.

So, Frenchy doesn't like guys who have muscles and do well with women?  How middle-school can you get?  FFS, dude, you're 34…you must have graduated from 8th grade at least 5 or 6 years ago.  Grow up.

And LMAO at his idea that getting rid of Alyssa would cut Christian off at the knees.  As if Christian couldn't find another "fish" in the Showmance Sea.  I grant you that Tiffany is older and Sarah Beth is in a committed lesbian relationship, but even if Alyssa goes, I don't think Christian will be tearing out his hair.

FRENCHIE (to the camera):  A meathead is going home this week, I guarantee you.

ME:  Not unless you self-evict, you schmo

Actually, the last time we had formal "teams" was S14, right?  I could see Frenchie as the new Willie Hantz.  I'm just hoping this butt-head doesn't do any head-butts.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, tableau vivant said:

I guess Frenchie, surrounded by so many good looking well-built dudes in the house, is quite a bit jealous of each of them. 

Where is this crowd of good looking guys at? Kyland for sure.  The others...meh.  😆

On 7/11/2021 at 9:17 PM, PaperTree said:

Bummer with this Wild Card.  I wanted Christian gone.  

Honey, he's Grodner physical type- blue eyes, fit, and big curly hair. He's at the very least making it to jury. She'll see to it.

I wonder if production took him aside and told him he had a nominate a female and of course he can't say that, so Frenchie is going with the showmance excuse. I did cringe when Frenchie said he wasn't going to nominate a woman, because I knew as soon as he said it that he wasn't going to keep that promise.

• Love 2
(edited)

Frenchie labeled people by the size of their biceps, instead of getting to know anything about them. 

Or . . . he has seen this show before and knows what types the show usually casts. It's not rocket science, it's really that simple. We do it ourselves the minute the cast photos are released. 

I'll admit the casting this season has taken a delightfully diverse turn, but as long as Alison Grodner is in charge I'm always going to be able to spot her favorites on sight. It's not jumping to conclusions, it's just a matter of history and statistics.

So, Frenchy doesn't like guys who have muscles and do well with women?  How middle-school can you get?

No such motive was articulated by Frenchie himself. That's pure speculation. I take it at face value he simply knows who tends to go far in this game based on past seasons. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

as long as Alison Grodner is in charge I'm always going to be able to spot her favorites on sight. It's not jumping to conclusions, it's just a matter of history and statistics

Again, Christian is the exact physical type that she likes and "coincidentally" those guys always seem to make it to at least jury.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

No such motive was articulated by Frenchie himself. That's pure speculation.

DR from the man himself, at roughly 10.04 into the episode (after Christian introduces himself to everyone):

FRENCHIE:  I don't like meatheads.  A meathead, to me, is somebody who's got them big ol' jacked-up muscles, like, cocky attitude, and just…swah-vay [I assume he means "suave"] with the ladies.  Meatheads in the house would definitely be Travis, Brent, Xavier, and Christian.

So, no, I hardly feel I've misrepresented him.  JMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 7/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, Gregg247 said:

Frenchie is only 34???  Yikes!  What's he growing on that farm of his?  Plutonium?

I know, right? I find it hard to believe that I'm four years older than him. Then again, I don't feel 38, but I'm still taken aback sometimes by the ages of some people. I just found out during Wimbledon that Roger Federer is a mere 18 months older than me!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/12/2021 at 6:10 PM, iMonrey said:

Eh, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he knows this game at all, he knows the alpha males typically bond quickly and run the table from Day 1. You really have very few chances to prevent that from happening, and year after year it keeps happening because people don't take the shot early on. 

His originally stated goal was smart. I just think he blew it telling everyone they were safe then going back on his word. He also fell prey to Brent manipulating him and jumped the gun going after Alyssa. He overplayed. I really don't think it's because he's jealous. 

And let's face it, the alpha males this show casts are, in fact, meatheads. 

I agree, I don't think it's jealousy. He did say he was a super fan so, as you said he knows what we all know about the alpha males. So his idea was right on, but he couldn't shut up to see it through. Him promising everyone safety was so ridiculously stupid.  I think he thought he'd come in and do what all the fans would love to do and take out the people that somehow make it to the end. Frenchie's problem is he's swayed way to easily. 

Edited by Cozytea

Frenchie thought he was immune to the seductions of the Bro-mance, but it turns out he's just as susceptible as anyone to that siren call.

My question is:  Did Brent figure out that Frenchie was going after alpha male "meatheads", or is this charm offensive he worked on Frenchie completely just instinctive on his part?

The first is smart gameplay, which I can admire.  The second is just bros doing what bros do, so I can't give him credit.