Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: V-Day

• Start Topic

Valentine’s Day puts love, truth, and friendships to the test as Riley struggles to put out the overwhelming fires around her, Cooper pushes Delilah towards honesty, and Chester and Nathan’s relationship comes full circle.

I'm glad they made this episode a longer one than usual, because there was so much going on. Really hope this show comes back for S2.

I liked Bo and Chester together and I don't understand why Bo felt like he had to break up with Chester. He kept saying it wasn't only the Nathan fake-relationship thing, so maybe there's something else going on with him that we'll find out in S2. I liked that Nathan had the emotional strength to not delude himself about Chester just because he wants him so badly. Naomi has been getting on my nerves the last few episodes, but I liked the final Naomi/Nathan moment here as they left the party.

Chester's lucky he's in a teen soap, not a murder mystery. In the latter a character saying, "It's you" is talking to the murderer and has seconds to live. I'm not sure who he's talking to.

Poor Riley, the way she was rushing around the party trying to keep so many balls in the air. And Luz, WTF? She has to know trying to bounce back to Riley wouldn't work.

I had started thinking in the charity benefit episode that Greta is actually homoromantic ace, and it seems like she confirmed that here. (Before, I had thought she just wasn't ready for sex with Riley yet and also wanted to be sure it would be a relationship, and that she was holding Luz off because of her feelings for Riley.) I'm glad Greta finally managed to explain her side of things to Riley, but ugh, that hookup with Luz is still undisclosed. I don't think it deserves the amount of drama the show must be planning to heap on the reveal considering how long the writers have been sitting on this and teasing it. I know it's not the best look for Riley to rush into sex with Luz right after trying to have sex with Greta, but Riley and Greta weren't together, it's not like Riley cheated. And Greta, being asexual, shouldn't really care that much about it. An asexual person can certainly be in a romantic relationship with someone who is not, but I expect most such arrangements allow for the non-ace person to have sex with other people. But I would guess the show is going to have them try to be exclusive, with Riley either being celibate or Greta trying to fulfill Riley's sexual needs even though she has none herself, and so learning about Luz will make Greta feel insecure. That's probably why all of a sudden Luz wants Riley again. Hopefully Riley and Greta will do a better job communicating then than they did in this season.

(edited)
On 7/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, Black Knight said:

I liked Bo and Chester together and I don't understand why Bo felt like he had to break up with Chester. He kept saying it wasn't only the Nathan fake-relationship thing, so maybe there's something else going on with him that we'll find out in S2.

I forget whether it was one of the creators or the actor who plays Bo, but they said one of the other reasons is that Bo sees himself in Nathan. He doesn't want to be that puppy chasing after Chester who Bo feels isn't truly into him as he is in him.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, Black Knight said:

That's probably why all of a sudden Luz wants Riley again.

I'm torn if Luz is just trying to be messy to get in between Greta and Riley or is she truly that draw to Riley. I think Luz knows Greta isn't going to put out so she's inserting herself because she likely expects Greta and Riley's relationship to go nowhere.

Edited by AngieBee1
2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

He doesn't want to be that puppy chasing after Chester who Bo feels isn't truly into him as he is in him.

Interesting, because I never felt that Chester was less into Bo than vice versa. I do remember the line where Bo was upset that Chester kissed Nathan after the date while Bo just went home and wanted to die or whatever it was that he said. But like I commented in the episode thread where they talked about that, I may not really be able to see that Chester explained it badly because I actually saw all these events play out and know very well that the kiss was just about pissing Megan off and that Chester certainly has not been lusting after Nathan.

Does Chester feel as strongly about Bo as about Sam? No, but I also think the two can't really be compared. Bo is on Chester's level. Sam is an adult male and mentor/daddy figure, it's not equal between them.

I believe Chester well and truly likes Bo, but I think he loves the idea of Bo more than Bo himself.  Bo hit the nail on the head when he told him, "I think you like how much I like you." 

When we first meet Chester it's obvious that's he's no stranger to hooking up and we later find out that Bo was his real first date. I think he wants so badly to be in a relationship and Bo is someone who ticks the boxes of good boyfriend that Chester is holding on to him as his romantic savior  (and also a rebound for his feelings for Sam).  Also,  as Chester always said, I'm a lot and I told everyone that from the jump." Bo is often uncomfortable around Chester in a way Nathan isn't. 

• Love 3

If that's what they were shooting for onscreen, I'm not sure they did the greatest job of it. First is the way Justice Smith plays a lot of his scenes with Bo, as being very infatuated with him. Writing-wise, Chester is the one who asked Bo out. And while we know that Nathan actually sent the message asking for a second date, Bo doesn't know that, so he really should feel like Chester chased him rather than the reverse.

I agree that Chester was looking for a romantic fantasy. But the nice thing about the second date was how down to earth it ended up being, two guys just walking around the grocery store conversing, and ending up having such a good time connecting that they miss the Rocky Horror showing.

As for comfort level, I never got the feeling that Bo was uncomfortable with Chester, maybe a bit befuddled at times. Chester did get him out of his comfort zone sometimes, but that would be part of the appeal for someone like Bo, not a negative. Also, Chester wasn't an unknown to him when they started dating - Bo had had classes with him, seen him around school (and Chester is VERY visible, clearly) - he knew what he was getting with Chester.

I don't know that I think Nathan's all that comfortable with Chester - that voicemail, heh heh (Riley so made that scene) - but I think it helped once Chester told him clearly that absolutely nothing was ever happening between them. It released all the pressure. He could just long in a hopeless puppy way without having to worry that he might be ruining his chances.

@Black Knight I have not gotten there yet- but yeah I got that Greta was likely asexual.

But from what I have heard from asexual people, many aren’t all too keen on their partners having sex with other people because of the fear it could lead to something deeper. That can be a big conflict an an ace/allo sexual relationship. Maybe an ace with someone with a low sex drive could work? I don’t see Greta and Riley working at all. 

I do love Greta’s pink tuxedo jacket with the black lapel. 

Edited to add- I think Bo is breaking up with Chester because he’s insecure at Chester’s feelings for him and he doesn’t want to get hurt. I think Chester actually likes Bo, and he is right, he is a lot and everyone knew that! In this I am team Chester. Awww Nathan is o sweet. I like him. Can we find him someone he’s really into?

33 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

But from what I have heard from asexual people, many aren’t all too keen on their partners having sex with other people because of the fear it could lead to something deeper. That can be a big conflict an an ace/allo sexual relationship. Maybe an ace with someone with a low sex drive could work? I don’t see Greta and Riley working at all. 

I certainly understand that concern, but to try for celibacy is just a recipe for disaster and probably even likelier to send the partner off to another relationship. There has to be some kind of outlet, if the asexual person isn't willing to pleasure their partner themselves. Someone with a low sex drive, as you mention, could be a viable possibility, but that doesn't seem to describe Riley.

I don't see Greta and Riley working in the long run either, but let's be real, none of these teen couples are going to work in the long run, heh. That's one of the things I like about this show, I don't feel like the writers are in this fan service mindset where the teen couples have to be OTPs who end up getting married one day. The friendships seem more important.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I certainly understand that concern, but to try for celibacy is just a recipe for disaster and probably even likelier to send the partner off to another relationship. There has to be some kind of outlet, if the asexual person isn't willing to pleasure their partner themselves. Someone with a low sex drive, as you mention, could be a viable possibility, but that doesn't seem to describe Riley.

I don't see Greta and Riley working in the long run either, but let's be real, none of these teen couples are going to work in the long run, heh. That's one of the things I like about this show, I don't feel like the writers are in this fan service mindset where the teen couples have to be OTPs who end up getting married one day. The friendships seem more important.

I agree! I was just saying that there are asexual people that do have sex and may enjoy it, (or not, there is a spectrum) they just don’t experience sexual attraction, that doesn’t mean they are celibate. 

Yes, I mentioned asexual people having sex with their partners as one possibility. As you say, some do and sometimes even find something to enjoy about it - a feeling of closeness, or a (non-sexual) feeling of gratification about pleasing their partner. But some just won't do anything at all. It'll be interesting to see where Greta falls on that spectrum - on the little we've seen so far she seems closer to the latter end, but maybe she just needs some education as to the possibilities and communication/agreement about boundaries with Riley (e.g. I'll touch you but don't touch me) so that she feels comfortable. Riley might be fine with being a pillow princess. We didn't see all of her hookup with Luz so maybe they did more acts than we saw, but what we saw was Riley only receiving and not giving.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Yes, I mentioned asexual people having sex with their partners as one possibility. As you say, some do and sometimes even find something to enjoy about it - a feeling of closeness, or a (non-sexual) feeling of gratification about pleasing their partner. But some just won't do anything at all. It'll be interesting to see where Greta falls on that spectrum - on the little we've seen so far she seems closer to the latter end, but maybe she just needs some education as to the possibilities and communication/agreement about boundaries with Riley (e.g. I'll touch you but don't touch me) so that she feels comfortable. Riley might be fine with being a pillow princess. We didn't see all of her hookup with Luz so maybe they did more acts than we saw, but what we saw was Riley only receiving and not giving.

Greta is such a sweetheart, and on the shallow bus I love her hair! I can tell Riley really likes her, but who knows where it will go.

Thank you for suggesting this show! It was fun, I dont know how I missed this, but I am glad I finally got on the bandwagon. It really did feel like a Degrassi on premium cable @luckyroll3. All the performers were so talented and the writing was good. The episodes went by really quickly, its an easy show to binge. 

• Love 1