Type keyword(s) to search

Trying - General Discussion

SoMuchTV
  • Start Topic

All Jason and Nikki want is a baby, but it's the one thing they just can't have. So, they decide to adopt. With their dysfunctional friends, screwball family, and chaotic lives will the adoption panel think they're ready to be parents?

On Apple TV+

Is anyone else watching this?  It has 2 seasons and looks like it's been renewed for a 3rd.  I checked out as I wanted to see what's available before my free trial expired.  I'm enjoying it.  A couple of recurring characters portrayed by actors I was a little surprised at.

As a big Rafe Spall fan I love it.  Definitely enjoying Esther Smith in this more than I did in her previous series "Cuckoo".  Very sweet and heartfelt show. I would think those who love "Ted Lasso" would love "Trying" if they give it a chance. 

I really enjoyed how the second season focused on the other characters a bit like Nikki's sister.

• Love 3

Yes yes yes - I've been hating that there wasn't a thread for this show, but I don't know how to start one. So thank you!  I love this show. I also was looking for something to watch that was similar to Ted Lasso to see if I wanted to pay for Apple Plus before my free trial ran out.  We have family who have gone through the adoption process in the US, so I know how difficult it is here. I'm enjoying seeing the process in the UK. Imelda Staunton is excellent in everything, but I really enjoy the harried social worker with a heart of gold and quirky sense of humor she's bringing. I had seen Rafe Spall in other things but never realized he was Timothy Spall's son. Seriously one can play six degrees of Kevin Bacon with UK actors based on the Harry Potter movies alone. Like with Ted Lasso, I enjoy the side characters here as much as Jason and Nikki. Looking forward to season 3! 

• Love 3

So glad someone started a thread for this show! Absolutely love it especially as someone who looked into adoption in the past as an option to build my family. Really looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. 

• Love 1

Love this show!  I’ve searched for it before on these forums so imagine my surprise when I searched today and it showed up. Hurray!  I’m not familiar with any of these actors but I love them all. Nikki’s accent and how her voice goes up at the end as if every sentence is a question usually kind of annoys me but I find her adorable. Im not yet done with season two but this is a really cute show. 

I just finished season two yesterday.  I really liked it.  Interesting twist on the sister and her fiancé/now husband.  Relationships are complicated and so are the people in them.  No one should judge.  I think it’s awful that they would break up Princess and her brother, I mean shelters don’t even like to break up kittens but it’s ok for human beings?  This world is so screwed up.

Does anyone know when season three will be available?

Likely about the same time this year. They've not begun shooting yet. 

22 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Interesting twist on the sister and her fiancé/now husband.  Relationships are complicated and so are the people in them.

I so liked the chemistry between the sister and the parent and I was rooting for them because Karen has always seemed cold on Scott. Series one it was almost as if she was just putting up with him, so the idea of her finding someone who wakes her up, I was sure they would end up together. But I guess it's a nice message that some people just have prickly or discordant personalities but it doesn't mean they're uncaring or not engaged in the relationship.  A bit like series one where Jason's ex Jane played by Cush Jumbo lamented that the person he is now is who she wanted him to be when they were together.   Karen realized Scott could be that person she wants him to be.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I've heard a few positive comments about this show elsewhere, so I came here to check it out.  Turns out 1) it does have a thread, 2) it's already on my home page, and 3) I started the freakin' thread!  After reading some episode descriptions it's only very vaguely familiar.  I guess I have something to rewatch now!  It's either going to be "new to me" or come flooding back to me once I restart it.  Hey, good to hear there's a new season coming up!  (And now I realize I posted that when I started the thread.  What can I say?  It's been a year.  Not meaning that as in, it's been a 12 months since I posted, but it's been a year.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 1

I was worried that the show would diminish with the addition of kids but it is as sure-footed as ever. Loved both episodes but especially the first one with their family coming together. I truly love Phil Davis as Jason's dad. I associate him with baddies (the killer cabbie in SHERLOCK, a demonic agent of chaos in BEING HUMAN) so seeing him someone as loving is wonderful.

Despite Freddy ruining his own relationship therefore deserving all the loneliness he's experiencing I did want Jason to invite him over to help him with the children's tea. Maybe Freddy and Scott could become pals - Freddy seems desperate enough for companionship.

(edited)

S3E3: On a camping weekend, Nikki and Jason try to bond with the kids. At home, Karen faces an existential crisis and Freddy realizes he's lonely.

Anyone else watching this?  Weird how it got dusty in the room during the zipping/unzipping scenes. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Edited on pc because I couldn't figure out how to put stuff in a quote box on my phone
On 7/29/2022 at 10:11 PM, CleoNE said:

Such a sweet, heart warming show! Started really loving the two main characters, but have quickly become attached to all of them--even Scott!

I know what you mean!  The whole show has only gotten better with time.  It's at that happy place where the writers and cast all really gel together.

• Love 1

I liked that in showing Jason as the "fun" parent who the kids really glommed onto, they haven't ignored Jason has his own issues like not wanting to open himself up to befriend other parents and the huge matter of him lying about his father loaning them the money to buy the flat.

Wasn't quite keen on Karen's pregnancy plot-line but I do like how they dealt with how Nikki felt about it and her own sadness over she and Jason's inability to conceive.

On a shallow note Rafe Spall, last season had noticeably gained weight but he's lost that Covid-19 (or 20) and is very lean again.

Season finale hit all the right notes! I haven't heard if there will be another season, but this definitely felt like a series ending. Story line wise, I'm OK with that, although I will miss all these characters! I want to see what happens to them next.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

It's been renewed but I feel the finale was shaped that way in case the show was axed.

And kudos to the writers for the recurring mention of Freddy's baking of muffins actually having a payoff.

I am so happy to hear that! I have wondered all season where they were going with Freddy's never-ending muffin baskets, but I knew it had to be leading somewhere when the camera zoomed in on Freddy placing it at Jase's feet. 

• Love 1

So they just got rid of the Erica character and kept Freddy to have a redemption arc?

All the characters are so likable that you don’t mind how things just work out for them.  Or we're not suppose to mind.

It’s suppose to be a gOod thing that Scott’s publisher went out of business because of the way they treated him?

And Freddy somehow became a mogul amidst all his attempts at self-improvement to solve Jason and Nikki’s housing problem?

I also missed why they were so keen to have children long before they married.  Nikki seems the type who’d want to do things in a traditional order.  Did they try IVF?  Because it’s expensIve and would be a huge financial commitment before being married.  It’s not as big as buying a house but it may be a big chunk of a down payment on a house, at least in the US.  Maybe the UK NHS covers it?

22 hours ago, aghst said:

I also missed why they were so keen to have children long before they married.  Nikki seems the type who’d want to do things in a traditional order.  Did they try IVF?  Because it’s expensIve and would be a huge financial commitment before being married.  It’s not as big as buying a house but it may be a big chunk of a down payment on a house, at least in the US.  Maybe the UK NHS covers it?

Yes, in the first episode it showed they either tried ivf and it didn’t work or were told they weren’t candidates for ivf, I can’t remember which. It’s probably covered in the UK for a certain number of tries, unlike here in the US (believe me, I know). As far as not marrying first, I remember them telling the first social worker lady that they never thought marriage was that important and that they were no less committed to each other just because they weren’t married. 

But they were making decisions which had big financial and long term implications.

Sure they're totally devoted to each other but things can change.

Not that he's a big earner so Nikki didn't have to worry about being financially ruined or anything, though him gambling with their joint savings before they were married should be a warning.

Also, can't believe they wouldn't have been stronger candidates for adoption if they had been married.  Or the adoption authorities should have pressed them more on what their plans were, because things like a stable housing situation directly relates to their marital status, or should.

Edited by aghst
31 minutes ago, aghst said:

Also, can't believe they wouldn't have been stronger candidates for adoption if they had been married.  Or the adoption authorities should have pressed them more on what their plans were, because things like a stable housing situation directly relates to their marital status, or should.

The adoption lady they worked with last season did press them on it and she did mention that they would be stronger candidates if they were married. I believe she even mentioned owning a residence would be preferable to renting. 

finished season 3 and what a surprise it all ended so nicely :D

Though not sure the publishing house going out of business was "nice" - i was happy that actually Scott put aside his pretentions to say "Hey, its money for our kid".

i am not sure in the Uk you can actually marry on a day (you still need to give notice for 28 days and have that notice put up in that regustry office for 28 days so people can object - unless its a special licence as you are dying in hospital)

• Like 1

I just watched this and I really loved it.

i liked the sly mention of Imelda Staunton’s character thinking she’s queen and head of the commonwealth.  I guess she wasn’t available because of playing the queen in The Crown.