Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

At CinemaCon yesterday, Disney apparently dropped a sizzle reel that included a few frames of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever...

Disney at CinemaCon 2022: The Latest Film Updates on ‘Avatar 2,’ ‘Lightyear,’ ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,’ and More
by Michelle Snow    April 27, 2022
https://thedisneyblog.com/2022/04/27/disney-at-cinemacon-2022-the-latest-film-updates-on-avatar-2-lightyear-black-panther-wakanda-forever-and-more/

The presentation started with a quick sizzle reel that included glimpses of “Avatar 2,” “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” “Lightyear,” and “Thor: Love and Thunder.”

According to sources, the “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” footage included a shot of Nakia, Shuri & Okoye all on the front line of what looked like a major battle approaching.
Feige said “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” is on schedule for its November 11, 2022 debut, that he and director Ryan Coogler are working very hard on finishing it up, and the first teaser trailer will be released in June.

blackpanther-wakanda4ever-titlecard.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Black Panther 2’ Star Martin Freeman Reveals What It Felt Like Shooting the Sequel Without Chadwick Boseman [Exclusive]
BY MARCO VITO ODDO   MAY 5, 2022
https://collider.com/black-panther-2-martin-freeman-chadwick-boseman-comments-mcu-everett-ross/ 

As Freeman now explains it, there are many more stories set in Wakanda to tell, even though its King is no longer a part of it, which justifies the sequel moving forward. Besides that, other essential characters keep on living in Wakanda, and the sequel tries to do justice by the fictional African nation that Boseman helped to build. Even so, it wasn’t easy for Freeman to come back to shoot the sequel, as everyone on set felt the vacuum left by Boseman. In Freeman’s words:

“It was strange, that side of it. On the one hand, you're making the film that you're there to make, and there are scores and scores of people on set, joined in this endeavor to make the film. But there's also no question that, at the heart of it, there's quite a gap now, and you felt it. With full respect to Ryan Coogler and everybody else, who's sweating and bleeding to get this thing done properly, it was fun. It was enjoyable. I was in and out of it quite quickly, I think. But I like playing Everett Ross. He's a very fun character to play. He's nicely simpatico for the story. He's a good guy. But it was odd. Of course, it was odd with Chadwick [Boseman] not being there. There's no way around that. I think everyone would find it pretty strange and sad, but at the same time, life things don't just end. It's not like, ‘Well, that's that's happened, so we just all have to go off and never do it again.’ But it was odd. When he passed, I thought, ‘Okay, well maybe there just won't be another one.’ But there are still other stories to tell within that world and other great characters. I think, and I hope that we've made a good film. I trust Ryan Coogler a lot.”
When Freeman first learned about the role CIA operative Everett Ross would play in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, the star confessed that he didn’t know what to do about it. At the time, Freeman felt the role Coogler had given him for the sequel was odd and wasn’t sure how to approach the task. However, now that filming on Black Panther: Wakanda Forever has wrapped, Freeman also had the opportunity to reevaluate his earlier position, as the set experience made everything more evident. As Freeman puts it:

“Yes, I can envisage it much, much more now. When Ryan was going through it and talking me through the beats, I kept stopping him going, ‘What did you just say?,’ which was quite funny. Obviously, once you've been on the set, it feels much more three-dimensional and real yeah.”

During the interview, we also had the opportunity to ask about Freeman’s involvement with future projects, such as the untitled spinoff series coming to Disney+, which will bring Danai Gurira back as the warrior Okoye. As Freeman explains he was hired to show up in only three MCU films, but being contacted to show up in new projects has been fun. For the star, it’s refreshing to be part of a cinematic universe he can revisit from time to time without being fully committed. As Freeman says it:

“I was contracted to do three films, Captain America and two Black Panthers. I knew that I'd be in one Cap and two Black Panthers. Beyond that, I didn't know about any TV shows, or anything like that. Maybe they didn't exist when I had that conversation with Kevin Feige in 2014. So much I knew, but there are other bits that continue to be a little surprise and like a little bonus. I love that feeling. I love being surprised and being contacted and having them go, ‘Do you wanna come and do this thing?’ It's just fun. It's a nice world to dip your toe in and to be able to have the freedom to come in and out, which is perfect for me. I don't love being on the same thing, all the time. I don't love that. I'm not saying anything particularly surprising there. I think people know that I like going and having an adventure over there, and then coming back, and then going over there and doing that. That feels very, very lucky to me, that I get to do that.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

New ‘Black Panther’ Star Is Calling Out Mexico for Its Racism
By Emily Green   June 2, 2022
https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kb5pe/black-panther-tenoch-huerta-calls-out-mexico-racism 

[Tenoch] Huerta’s upcoming role as Namor in Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever marks a huge jump in his career. The quick-tempered mutant spawn of a human sea captain and the princess of an undersea kingdom, Namor is quick to fight other heroes in his quest to protect his homeland. Huerta has been learning a Mayan language for the role and spent months filming in Atlanta. (Marvel hasn’t confirmed Huerta’s casting in the movie, which is expected to be released in November, and a press aide accompanied the actor to make sure he didn’t talk about it.) 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

[Tenoch] Huerta’s upcoming role as Namor in Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever marks a huge jump in his career. The quick-tempered mutant spawn of a human sea captain and the princess of an undersea kingdom, Namor is quick to fight other heroes in his quest to protect his homeland. Huerta has been learning a Mayan language for the role and spent months filming in Atlanta. (Marvel hasn’t confirmed Huerta’s casting in the movie, which is expected to be released in November, and a press aide accompanied the actor to make sure he didn’t talk about it.) 

Lol, I hadn't realized that--I've seen multiple articles that Tenoch Huerta is playing Namor and

Spoiler

the role is being reimagined as an underwater kingdom from a Mayan-inspired culture rather than Atlantis.

It's funny how Marvel can go so long without officially announcing casting, but journalists just sort of carry on as if they have. We knew Oscar Isaac was playing Moon Knight WAY before Marvel ever said he was.

33 minutes ago, angora said:

Lol, I hadn't realized that--I've seen multiple articles that Tenoch Huerta is playing Namor and

Reveal spoiler

the role is being reimagined as an underwater kingdom from a Mayan-inspired culture rather than Atlantis.

It's funny how Marvel can go so long without officially announcing casting, but journalists just sort of carry on as if they have. We knew Oscar Isaac was playing Moon Knight WAY before Marvel ever said he was.

I find this very frustrating because many sites act like things are confirmed regardless of the validity of the source. Oscar Isaac playing Moon Knight came from a trade which is as reliable as it gets. Tenoch Huerta playing Namor came from PiratesandPrincesses which is extremely unreliable. Yet both are treated as confirmed by many sites. 

Spoiler

So unnecessary.

Those first looks don't reveal much, do they? Not that I was expecting them to.

They can do it the Marvel way or any way they want to, as long as it's not Atlantis again.  The point is to avoid comparisons with the Aquaman movies.

I like Namor but it's not like he's some iconic character whose mythology should never be altered.  Nothing is lost by changing the kingdom from Atlantis.  If anything, something is gained by exploring the subject of Mesoamerican civilization.

• Love 7

They can do both, if they really wanted. Marvel's Atlantis isn't the same as DC's Atlantis, nor are the Atlanteans the same.

And while not as iconic, he is one of their oldest characters.

Emmys: Chadwick Boseman Earns Posthumous Nod for What If...? Role That Was to Influence Black Panther 2
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 12 202
https://tvline.com/2022/07/12/emmys-chadwick-boseman-nomination-what-if-tchalla-star-lord/ 

Nearly two years after his death, Chadwick Boseman earned a posthumous Emmy nod for his voicing of T’Challa in Disney+’s What If…?

Boseman’s work being honored is especially bittersweet given how he hoped that What If…?‘s quippier take on T’Challa would carry over into the Black Panther sequel he had yet to film.
In the second episode of the Disney+ anthology series, titled “What If… T’Challa Became a Star-Lord?,” Boseman delivered a lighter, more witty take on his MCU character. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige said last summer that Boseman was so “gung ho” about his animated incarnation, there was talk about letting that vibe influence Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (which proceeded without its fallen star and will hit theaters this November).

(edited)

FWIW, the mods on the Marvel Studios Spoilers reddit page posted the following Black Panther 2 info yesterday...

Tales From The Mod Queue: Eternals 2, Quake, The Marvels, and Many More!
Posted by u/MSSmods Vision     July 17, 2022
Reddit page link

Spoiler

Wakanda Forever

- Confirms Daniel RPK’s plot leak, but says it’s missing a lot of details

- Recent bulky Ironheart leaked concept art’s true

- There’s a mutant in the movie (Probably Namor will be revealed to be one, but it should be a big deal, as it was talked about a lot behind the scenes)

- Dr. Doom post-credits scene was filmed with a stand-in (This was before anyone else mentioned it)

FYI, here's the link to the previous plot leak that's referenced in the above spoiler:
Black Panther: WF Plot Leak by DanielRpk

Edited by tv echo

Love the female rendition of Marley's "No Woman No Cry" as the wistfulness cements the tone of the trailer and what we can expect (also as we're dealing with a female fronted film with Ramonda in power, it's a great allusion to her loss). Then the segue into Kendrick Lamar's "Alright" makes it stirring and brings the power his music brought to the first one. Full on powerful.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Only quibble, they should've used Marley's original "No Woman, No Cry".

Who was singing? I didn't recognize the voice.

5 hours ago, nilyank said:

It seems like they actually gave Angela Bassett something to really sink her teeth into.

"Have I not given everything?!?!"

shivers

• Love 7

Is it possible that this films takes place post-Snap and into the afteath of the return? Ramonda says she "entire family" was gone yet we see Shuri in the trailer. Unless they just revealed Shuri dies in this,  could it be this is towards the end of the Snap  and the Shuri scenes are when she returns yet for some reason T'Challa doesn't return?

(edited)

That clip of them in white in the trailer I assume is T'Challa's home-going ceremony to go be with the other Black Panthers and the Panther Goddess Bast. I teared upon seeing Chadwick's face, it brought it back that he is no longer with us and he had so much to give to us as T'Challa in this sequel and other films in the future. It cannot be said enough but fuck cancer! 

I hope that the next Black Panther is somebody totally unexpected and that it makes sense. I am trusting that Ryan Coogler will deliver and more.  The trailer was lit!

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7

could it be this is towards the end of the Snap  and the Shuri scenes are when she returns yet for some reason T'Challa doesn't return?

But he did return...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

Ramonda says she "entire family" was gone yet we see Shuri in the trailer. Unless they just revealed Shuri dies in this,

Yeah that line made me wonder whether they were killing Shuri off.  I know we see her in the trailer, but that scene could be taken from anywhere in the movie.  

• Applause 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

Is it possible that this films takes place post-Snap and into the afteath of the return? Ramonda says she "entire family" was gone yet we see Shuri in the trailer. Unless they just revealed Shuri dies in this,  could it be this is towards the end of the Snap  and the Shuri scenes are when she returns yet for some reason T'Challa doesn't return?

I saw a theory from Eman, one of the reviewers who has been big in the recast T'Challa movement, even showing up on MSNBC to push for it. Basically  his fan theory/fiction would be Namor and Atlantis emerged after the snapture  and Wakanda being a secret kingdom reverted to their secret ways. So that Shuri would have been a POW by the time we see the queen's statement in the trailer.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well, that looks like Lupita Nyong'o's butt to me.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but it looks like Nakia might be the new Black Panther.

I would love that. Or hell, maybe Ramonda could do it! If anyone deserves to be a Black female superhero, it’s Angela Fucking Bassett.

Either way, I really hope this is one Phase 4 show that finally does right by female characters. I swear to God, if I have to go through one more fridging or heel turn, I won’t be sticking around for Phase 5.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

would love that. Or hell, maybe Ramonda could do it! If anyone deserves to be a Black female superhero, it’s Angela Fucking Bassett.

Angela Bassett IS a Super Hero 😀 love her, I'd be cool with her being a BP

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8

After being disappointed with the last two movies, I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw this trailer.  I never doubted that it would look good, but I was starting to get a little worried about where Marvel was headed (I still am, to be honest).  This trailer looks amazing and a bit gut wrenching, too (I mean, how could it not be?).  I can't wait. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Only quibble, they should've used Marley's original "No Woman, No Cry".

IMHO, since the the trailer focused almost exclusively on the women, it's more appropriate to have a female voice.

And this was a lot more somber than the original, which I think fits the tone they were going for better.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

This trailer was really beautiful and haunting. It must have been hard for all of Chadwick’s friends and coworkers to be there without him. I legit cried watching this trailer. The women look amazing!! All the Atlanteans and Namor was just bad ass in every shot. Angela Basset is a goddess. I know some people have been iffy on phase four but I hope BPWF delivers one hell of a movie and win all the awards. It looks like it has a lot of heart. 

So I don’t know if I will be watching this in theaters. As someone who has loved T’Challa/Black Panther for many years and to see his first live action cut so short because of Chadwick’s unfortunate passing, it makes me angry and upset. I get it’s easier said than done to recast T’Challa, and Coogler and the ones at Marvel must have agonized over this but he should have been recasted. 

T’Challa as a character has so much more to give. T’Challa and Namor is one of comics greatest rivalries. T’Challa and The Fantastic Four has always been a great part of both theirs and Marvels history, also his relationship with Storm etc… 

I get it but it sucks to see such an amazing character to be put back on the shelf for the next decade when it took so much to get him on our screens. 

I’ll probably catch this on Disney Plus, or just see how I feel in the next few months. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

get it but it sucks to see such an amazing character to be put back on the shelf for the next decade when it took so much to get him on our screens. 

I admit I was not in favor of recasting T'Challa.

I might be OK with killing off our T'Challa, pass the mantel to a new BP and, then use the Multiverse to introduce a T'Challa Variant played by a new actor. 

I know it's probably splitting hairs but, since MCU has already acknowledged Toby and Andrew Spider-Man(s) I could be OK with an AU T'Challa played by a different actor.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Perfect way to maybe recast Michael B. Jordan a few years down the line as T'Challa and/or BP?

That would be interesting. Could you imagine the reaction to our Wakandans that T'Challa looks like Killmonger? 

• Mind Blown 1

Let's assume that one of the women in the film ends up taking on the mantle of BP and takes the lead in future projects.  If they subsequently go ahead and decide that actually, we'd rather bring some alternate T'Challa or Killmonger in and make him the main BP while the female incumbent slides into a supporting role then that will open them up all sorts of complaints about how they just couldn't stop themselves from putting a man in the role (and if you're getting Michael B. Jordan he's going to be the lead).  Bonus points if this alternate becomes the new ruler of Wakanda.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Let's assume that one of the women in the film ends up taking on the mantle of BP and takes the lead in future projects.  If they subsequently go ahead and decide that actually, we'd rather bring some alternate T'Challa or Killmonger in and make him the main BP while the female incumbent slides into a supporting role then that will open them up all sorts of complaints about how they just couldn't stop themselves from putting a man in the role (and if you're getting Michael B. Jordan he's going to be the lead).  Bonus points if this alternate becomes the new ruler of Wakanda.

👍

Things have gotten more complicated than just filming  decades old comic story. Once they decided to honor Chadwick Boseman they might as well stick to it for a generation rather than look for a letter of the law work around.

• Love 1

Retconning Killmonger's entire character, as well as his death, just because Michael B. Jordan is popular would make this movie an instant miss for me. We're supposed to be moving forwards, not backwards.

Jordan played a complete psychopath who killed hundreds of people, and did so with a smile on his face. He never showed an ounce of regret and he wanted to use Wakanda's strength to wage war on the rest of the world. Fuck that guy.

• Applause 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

I didn't think of this but you have a very good point.

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That would be interesting. Could you imagine the reaction to our Wakandans that T'Challa looks like Killmonger? 

Please let's not.  Yes, Killmonger was (as he was meant to be) the polar opposite of T'Challa, a warhawk who wanted to burn down the world, but they kind of explored this during the What If series, and that was enough, IMO. After seeing the teaser trailer, I would be heavily in favor of Ramonda as Black Panther and someone else sitting on the throne as ruler of Wakanda, but it's much too soon to consider putting Michael B. Jordan back into a role, especially that of the king that Killmonger tried so hard to, well, kill.

• Love 7

Michael B. Jordan would never go for anything like that to begin with.

Yeah, it sucks to have no more T'Challa stories, but Chadwick Boseman died.  The loss is going to have repercussions for his character and films.  That's just how it is.

I think it would be an insult to the audience to recast the character more than anything else.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Retconning Killmonger's entire character, as well as his death, just because Michael B. Jordan is popular would make this movie an instant miss for me. We're supposed to be moving forwards, not backwards.

Jordan played a complete psychopath who killed hundreds of people, and did so with a smile on his face. He never showed an ounce of regret and he wanted to use Wakanda's strength to wage war on the rest of the world. Fuck that guy.

50 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Please let's not.  Yes, Killmonger was (as he was meant to be) the polar opposite of T'Challa, a warhawk who wanted to burn down the world, but they kind of explored this during the What If series, and that was enough, IMO. After seeing the teaser trailer, I would be heavily in favor of Ramonda as Black Panther and someone else sitting on the throne as ruler of Wakanda, but it's much too soon to consider putting Michael B. Jordan back into a role, especially that of the king that Killmonger tried so hard to, well, kill.

Thanks Thank You GIF by Lumi

Leave Kilmonger in hell where he belongs.

• Love 5