Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Here's the thread for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which has just started shooting and will be released next year. However, it will be the first Black Panther film without the late, great Chadwick Boseman as King T'Challa. Re the "Recast T'Challa" debate, I can see both sides. While Boseman's T'Challa is truly one of a kind and is a hard act to follow, other superheroes have been recast before, such as Batman, Spider-Man, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the Hulk, to name a few. Nick Fury was recast. Hell, Superman was recast several times after Christopher Reeve died. I'm still gonna see the sequel, recast or not, because I want to honor Chadwick's memory and his legacy. 

Post about all things BP:WF-related here, whether you're a Wakandan warrior, a colonizer, or anything in between.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, DollEyes said:

While Boseman's T'Challa is truly one of a kind and is a hard act to follow, other superheroes have been recast before, such as Batman, Spider-Man, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the Hulk, to name a few. Nick Fury was recast. Hell, Superman was recast several times after Christopher Reeve died.

These are not recasts.  Those actors were all playing different roles from one another, different characters. Based on the same character from the source, yes, but different incarnations via different film series.

The Boseman/T'Challa situation is about casting a new actor as the same incarnation of T'Challa that Boseman played.  That's a recast.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

These are not recasts.  Those actors were all playing different roles from one another, different characters. Based on the same character from the source, yes, but different incarnations via different film series.

The Boseman/T'Challa situation is about casting a new actor as the same incarnation of T'Challa that Boseman played.  That's a recast.

Most were reboots but, technically, a few of them were recasts. Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney were each playing the same character. It was treated more like James Bond. Brandon Routh’s Superman Returns was a direct sequel to the Christopher Reeves movies. Plus the MCU has recast a few roles including Hulk. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I respectfully disagree. Those parts may have been played by different actors under different directors, but they were still playing the same roles under the same names.  Six of one, half dozen of the other. They weren't like a Heath Ledger/ Joaquin Phoenix deal, with two different actors playing different Jokers. 

As for Chadwick Boseman, I would sympathize with any actor who would even try to step into his shoes to play T'Challa if that role is recast just like I did for Brandon Routh, who was the first big-screen Superman after Christopher Reeve died. As far as I'm concerned, if a different actor is playing the same superhero roles under the same names, it's a recast. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

I respectfully disagree. Those parts may have been played by different actors under different directors, but they were still playing the same roles under the same names.  Six of one, half dozen of the other. They weren't like a Heath Ledger/ Joaquin Phoenix deal, with two different actors playing different Jokers. 

If DC and Marvel continue in the direction they appear to be heading it will, retroactively, be different actors playing different roles which does make recasting anyone more complicated. I think Marvel has really changed the way these movies are viewed where people are expected continuity in a way they didn’t in past. 

I wonder if the main reason the role isn’t being recast is because those involved don’t want to replace Boseman for their own personal reason. It hasn’t even been a year and the grief is still really fresh for Coogler and the cast. 

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, Dani said:

I wonder if the main reason the role isn’t being recast is because those involved don’t want to replace Boseman for their own personal reason. It hasn’t even been a year and the grief is still really fresh for Coogler and the cast. 

I would say that's probably the main reason.  It'd also be difficult for those actors to really gel with someone else playing T'Challa due to all that baggage.

That said, the other reason is they came up with a good story to tell in the aftermath of T'Challa's death.  The subtitle "Wandaka Forever" seems to hint at something like that.  

As for Michael B Jordan possibly being back, it could just be a flashback.  As I've said before, I'd love to see Kevin "Kasper" Cole show up and in the comics he was tied to Killmonger (who gave him a synthetic version of the Heart Shape Herb).  Maybe we can get Queen Divine Justice as well.  Although I think I'd prefer to see them in a D+ show.

Give me more Nakia. She's the best choice for taking up the Black Panther mantle. We know that she could have challenged for it, if she chose, Lupita can carry a movie and looks the part of an action hero (plus it looks like she's doing some heavy working out, if you check her social media) and I think Shuri is far better suited to being a quippy sidekick and tech provider.

She was already pushing T'Challa to use Wakandan power to further social justice and human rights for their fellow Africans, she already had a cause that becoming ruler of Wakanda could clash with in interesting ways.

Yes, Nakia becomes a villain in the comics, and Shuri does become Black Panther, but I don't care.

• Love 12
On 7/9/2021 at 1:17 PM, Danny Franks said:

We know that she could have challenged for it, if she chose

I thought only leaders of the five tribes can challenge for the throne. Killmonger was a special case because he had a birthright claim to T’Challa’s own tribe.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, arc said:

I thought only leaders of the five tribes can challenge for the throne. Killmonger was a special case because he had a birthright claim to T’Challa’s own tribe.

As I understood that scene, each tribe had a potential challenger - Nakia and W'Kabi for their tribes, M'Baku for his tribe and one or two others who I don't know the names of. I don't know what the requirements were for choosing a challenger - whether there was a bloodline requirement or whether they were just recognised as the best warriors the tribe could put forward.

But the main point was that T'Challa's family aren't the only recognised royal line, that the ruler of Wakanda can come from any of those tribes, so Nakia is just as eligible a ruler as Shuri would be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, arc said:

The film itself is a bit unclear, Zuri gives each tribe the chance to "put forth a warrior" before then opening it up to anyone with "royal blood". So maybe it has to be a tribe leader, or maybe the tribe can choose any champion from their ranks to challenge for the throne.

• Useful 1
On 7/9/2021 at 1:17 PM, Danny Franks said:

She's the best choice for taking up the Black Panther mantle.

I really disagree. She’s a great character but it would go completely against her stance in the movie to have her be Black Panther. She didn’t even want to put on the Dora armor. 

(edited)

Chadwick Boseman and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever comments from Part 2 of Rotten Tomatoes interview with Kevin Feige...

Kevin Feige on MCU’s Phase 4 – Part 2: Shang-Chi, Eternals, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever & More
Rotten Tomatoes   Jul 12, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZ_PWwbjb4

-- Kevin Feige: "Yes, the death of Chad hit all of us, um, extremely hard and at the same time as it hit the world, because we didn't - we didn't know either. And there were all sorts of questions and - and our first thought for many weeks afterwards had nothing to do with the movie. It had to do with him and his - and his family and his wife and his legacy... And really we were looking to Ryan Coogler for guidance, as one, frankly, always should about almost everything in life, I'd recommend following Ryan Coogler for guidance. Um, and - and having discussions, which essentially came down to continuing, um, the legacy of Wakanda and continuing, um, with - with that storyline in a very, um, meaningful, respectful and yet still hopeful and fun and exciting way, which was - which was difficult, um, uh, after - after - after, uh, losing Chad. And I will say that Ryan and our producer Nate Moore and the entire cast and our co-writer Joe Robert Cole, um, have done some remarkable things in the story in the draft. And - and the - the team is assembling once again and - and cameras roll in the not too distant future on that. And it will be extremely emotional across the board. But I think they have something, um, very special in mind."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

@tv echo

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Chadwick Boseman and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever comments from Part 2 of Rotten Tomatoes interview with Kevin Feige...

Kevin Feige on MCU’s Phase 4 – Part 2: Shang-Chi, Eternals, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever & More
Rotten Tomatoes   Jul 12, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZ_PWwbjb4

-- Kevin Feige: "Yes, the death of Chad hit all of us, um, extremely hard and at the same time as it hit the world, because we didn't - we didn't know either. And there were all sorts of questions and - and our first thought for many weeks afterwards had nothing to do with the movie. It had to do with him and his - and his family and his wife and his legacy... And really we were looking to Ryan Coogler for guidance, as one, frankly, always should about almost everything in life, I'd recommend following Ryan Coogler for guidance. Um, and - and having discussions, which essentially came down to continuing, um, the legacy of Wakanda and continuing, um, with - with that storyline in a very, um, meaningful, respectful and yet still hopeful and fun and exciting way, which was - which was difficult, um, uh, after - after - after, uh, losing Chad. And I will say that Ryan and our producer Nate Moore and the entire cast and our co-writer Joe Robert Cole, um, have done some remarkable things in the story in the draft. And - and the - the team is assembling once again and - and cameras roll in the not too distant future on that. And it will be extremely emotional across the board. But I think they have something, um, very special in mind."

Um.. what? Why the choice to include all the fillers ("ums" and "uhs", etc)? Unless they're reading from a script, people usually answer interview questions with some degree of disfluency (fillers, stuttering, incomplete or trailed off sentences, etc). Including it in your transcript not only makes it hard to understand, it makes Feige's statement sound insincere. Which is the intention here? 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, ursula said:

@tv echo

Um.. what? Why the choice to include all the fillers ("ums" and "uhs", etc)? Unless they're reading from a script, people usually answer interview questions with some degree of disfluency (fillers, stuttering, incomplete or trailed off sentences, etc). Including it in your transcript not only makes it hard to understand, it makes Feige's statement sound insincere. Which is the intention here? 

Looks like automatically generated transcript that Echo just copy & pasted. My problem is with the complete lack of content. "We're all sorry and sad he died, though we're going to do another BP movie. We can't yet tell you anything else about about it."

(edited)

I transcribed Kevin Feige's comments from watching the video myself (and spent a couple hours doing it).

I try to be as accurate as possible when transcribing, because I've found that reading edited transcriptions in media articles can sometimes be misleading. It's also sometimes difficult to guess what the speaker is trying to say, so I don't want to guess.

You have the choice to watch the video yourself and ignore my transcription.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 10
(edited)

‘Black Panther’ Sequel Casts Michaela Coel (EXCLUSIVE)
Matt Donnelly   July 21, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/michaela-coel-black-panther-2-marvel-1235024815/ 

Michaela Coel has joined the ensemble cast of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” the sequel to the hit Marvel film “Black Panther.”

Character details are locked up, per usual. Insiders say Coel has joined director Ryan Coogler at Atlanta’s Pinewood Studios, where production began last month. Marvel Studios declined to comment on the matter.

Edited by tv echo
On 7/11/2021 at 1:19 AM, Dani said:

I really disagree. She’s a great character but it would go completely against her stance in the movie to have her be Black Panther. She didn’t even want to put on the Dora armor. 

While we're talking about the Dora, why not Okoye? If it's a case of putting the best warrior into the mix, she's already a general and an accomplished combatant. Are the Dora Milaje considered a tribe? They seem to have many customs of their own, so would you have to be born into it in addition to being female?

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

While we're talking about the Dora, why not Okoye? If it's a case of putting the best warrior into the mix, she's already a general and an accomplished combatant. Are the Dora Milaje considered a tribe? They seem to have many customs of their own, so would you have to be born into it in addition to being female?

She would be my first choice. They’re not a tribe but are chosen from the tribes. Their job is to protect the throne so Shuri as Queen and the leader of the Dora as Black Panther would make a lot of sense. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

I thought M'Baku was King while Shuri and T'Challa were dusted. Has that been confirmed?  I swear I remember reading about that right after Endgame and now I can't find it anywhere. Am I imagining it? 😁

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2021 at 8:22 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought M'Baku was King while Shuri and T'Challa were dusted. Has that been confirmed?  I swear I remember reading about that right after Endgame and now I can't find it anywhere. Am I imagining it? 😁

I thought he was part of the ruling council with Okoye.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, Matt K said:

I thought he was part of the ruling council with Okoye.  

Maybe? I don't even remember there being a council. I guess they're just going to fill in the blanks once BP is released. 

Although, given the Tribal/Monarchy situation in Wakonda I would think there would be a King/Queen not a council. I also don't see the Queen Mother ruling for 5 years (assuming she wasn't dusted). I would expect there would have been another trial by combat to decide on a new dynasty.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I like Trekker rules, nothing is confirmed until it airs. After all confirmed things changed when Disney promoted Feige over Perlmutter

On the Disney+ Marvel page, Black Panther (the original) has a picture of Shuri when you stop on it, not T'Challa or the Black Panther form. I wonder if that's a clue about who takes up the mantle in the next movie.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Ailianna said:

On the Disney+ Marvel page, Black Panther (the original) has a picture of Shuri when you stop on it, not T'Challa or the Black Panther form. I wonder if that's a clue about who takes up the mantle in the next movie.

I really doubt it. Marvel is so closed lipped about plot that I can’t see who takes up the mantle being widely enough known to influence what picture shows up on Disney+. 

For me it shows a picture of T’Challa, Nakia, Okoyo and Killmonger. 

I don't know if anyone else follows Lupita Nyong'o on Instagram, but she's getting into insane shape and posting pics and videos of her workouts.

I can't help but think this indicates a much bigger role in Black Panther... Maybe as the titular character?

• Love 2

^^^
Dominique Thorne's Riri Williams to Debut in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Exclusive)
By BRANDON DAVIS - August 19, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/black-panther-riri-williams-ironheart-mcu-debut-dominique-thorne/ 

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever has added Dominique Thorne to its cast, the actress who will be playing Ironheart in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Thorne had previously been announced as the MCU's Riri Williams for the hero's self-titled Ironheart series coming to Disney+. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has confirmed to ComicBook.com that Thorne will make her MCU debut as Ironheart ahead of the release of her self-titled series.

"We're shooting Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, right now, and the character of Riri Williams, you will meet in Black Panther 2 first," Feige said in an interview surrounding the release of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. "She started shooting, I think, this week before her Ironheart series."

Edited by tv echo

EXCLUSIVE: Images, Characters, and Scene Description of ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Filming at MIT
Posted on August 21, 2021 by Lizzie Hill
https://www.thecosmiccircus.com/exclusive-images-characters-and-scene-description-of-black-panther-wakanda-forever-filming-at-mit/ 

Spoiler

As you can see below there is very definitely a lady in black with no hair and sunglasses in the center, next to a mysterious person in a black hood who is obviously being hidden from spoiler-hungry fans. As I mentioned, recent rumors have placed Dora Milaje there, and I believe Okoye (Danai Gurira) is the woman in the center. You might point out, that the hooded cast member is a bit more tricky to discern, however. That being said, I will confirm that yes, I have learned that both Okoye and Shuri, as well as Riri Williams, are in scenes filming in MA and at MIT.

The confirmation of the characters involved there comes separate from the person who supplied these pictures. But I believe the information is reliable. The MIT witness also supplied me with an exclusive scene description of what Riri was up to on campus.
 20210821_232314_00006899115774879121763.*  *  *

“I was at MIT today while they were doing day shoots for Black Panther 2. Wanted to share what we saw.

One scene we saw being filmed outside the Stratton Student Center was Riri Williams (Dominique Thorne) talking to a male (I presume) student. It was a pretty quick scene. She had a gray shirt on. The male student was a taller, white male, wearing a dark red shirt. Extras acting like students walked around in the background.

The Riri scene was just her and a guy talking, then she walked away, and pulled out her cellphone. Very short.”

“We saw them prepping another scene, also outside the Stratton Center. A black Lexus was parked, and there were two actors outside it. Once was definitely a Dora Milaje (couldn’t tell if it was Danai or someone else). Another actress was there as well, but she had on a black hood and robe so couldn’t tell who it was. I think they were talking to Ryan Coogler, but it could have been another member of the crew.”

“We didn’t get to see the Dora scene filming unfortunately. They were setting everything up and the actors were out there but we had to leave before they filmed anything.
Honestly wasn’t expecting to see anything because I had heard it was mostly night shoots but figured we’d check it out anyway to see what was going on and it paid off I guess haha.”

The person who took the pictures confirms that this is a Dora Milaje and that the hooded figure is definitely a female, and I have separately confirmed that this is Okoye with Shuri.  Based on the fact that Shuri is being covered, and therefore her costume possibly a spoiler, is also interesting. Could she be in a very special costume already? Or just a particularly stunning fashion statement from the Princess of Wakanda that Marvel has deemed only fit to be seen on the big screen? We’ll find out eventually!

Edited by tv echo

Letitia Wright Hospitalized With Minor Injuries After Stunt Rig Incident On ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Shoot
By Justin Kroll   August 25, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/08/letitia-wright-hospitalize-minor-injuries-stunt-rig-incident-black-panther-wakanda-forever-shoot-1234821887/ 

UPDATE: Insiders now tell Deadline, Wright has been released from the hospital.

EXCLUSIVE: During an overnight shoot in Boston for Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, sources tell Deadline that Letitia Wright suffered minor injuries due to an incident with a stunt rig.

“Letitia Wright sustained minor injuries today while filming a stunt for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. She is currently receiving care in a local hospital and is expected to be released soon,” a spokesperson for Marvel said Wedesday.

Sources say the incident was minor and will not have an impact on the film’s shooting schedule.

While the incident took place in Boston, the primary shoot has been going on in Atlanta going back to the end of June. Wright is reprising her role as Shuri along with Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Lupita Nyong’o, Florence Kasumba and Angela Bassett in the sequel to the global hit, with Ryan Coogler returning as director.

Edited by tv echo

This article was published in July, but I didn't see it posted here - I don't know how reliable this source is, so I'd consider this report as unconfirmed at this point...

NEW PRODUCTION DETAILS REVEAL THE IDENTITY OF THE NEW BLACK PANTHER
Posted by Nick Santos | Jul 28, 2021 
https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2021/07/28/new-production-details-reveal-the-identity-of-the-new-black-panther/ 

Spoiler

We can share that you should not expect that Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will answer immediately who the next Black Panther is. Don’t even expect the marketing materials or any pre-release content to spoil it. Marvel Studios is turning the question of “Who is the next Black Panther?” into an integral part of the story, and it will be a primary storyline in the film. The film will present a few contenders and address a few possibilities, but by the end of the film, you will have a definitive answer as to who the next Black Panther will be.

However, we can confirm now that the next Black Panther will be Shuri. Shuri will rise as the defacto Black Panther going forward in the MCU. She will take on the mantle by the third act and help defeat the movie’s primary antagonist.

Not an exclusive, but I can also confirm what others have said in that Tenoch Huerta is indeed playing Namor the Submariner. He will go to war with Wakanda. Unfortunately, I can also confirm that despite many reports to the contrary, Doctor Doom will not appear in the film.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2021 at 8:27 AM, Matt K said:

Maybe we can get Queen Divine Justice as well.  Although I think I'd prefer to see them in a D+ show.

More of the Dora, including Queen Divine Justice as a US raised Dora would be cool. Although my favourite BP comics character I would love to see appear would have to be Achebe.  Because unless I am forgetting someone Marvel has never really done a total batshit crazy Joker style villain. BP2 would be a great movie to have one in. Plus his comics character was a refugee in Wakanda so it would work with the country opening up its borders.

• Love 2

‘Black Panther’ Score Headed to Hollywood Bowl for Live-to-Picture Performance
By Jon Burlingame    September 7, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/artisans/news/black-panther-score-hollywood-bowl-1235057552/ 

“Black Panther” was an international cultural phenomenon and the Marvel movie’s Oscar-winning score, by Swedish composer Ludwig Göransson, was equally thrilling for its unique blend of African influences, traditional orchestra and modern production techniques.
Göransson, who is currently finishing his score for the Disney-Pixar film “Turning Red,” says he will be composing the score for “Black Panther II: Wakanda Forever,” which Coogler has begun shooting. “I’m starting conceptual ideas and having conversations with Ryan,” he says.

• Love 1

Angela Bassett Shares 'Black Panther 2' Update After Letitia Wright Injury (Exclusive)
By Rachel McRady‍     September 20, 2021
https://www.etonline.com/angela-bassett-shares-black-panther-2-update-after-letitia-wright-injury-exclusive-172490 

Angela Bassett is excited to be returning to Wakanda. The 63-year-old actress spoke with ET's Nischelle Turner on Sunday's 2021 Emmys, where she was presenting, and discussed the second installment of the hit Marvel film, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. 

"We're excited about that. Of course, we still have a little, you know, we feel some kind of way in our heart, of course. So every day is just a testament and a love fest for our dear [Chadwick Boseman]," she told ET of the late actor, who played King T'Challa in the first film, and died in August 2020 at the age of 43 after a private battle with cancer. 

Details about Black Panther 2 remain sparse, but Marvel Studios has confirmed that they will not be recasting Boseman's role following his death.

"Did your spirit settle when you read the Black Panther 2 script?" Turner asked Bassett. 

"Yes. You know, we still have Ryan [Coogler] and Joe Robert Cole, who wrote Black Panther one, so the two of them, these men, these brothers, they're going to bring it," she shared. "They love Black Panther, they love what they started. As they say, 'Finish the way you started.' They started great and they're going to do this one well as well."

Last month, Letitia Wright, who plays T'Challa's sister, Shuri, was hospitalized in Boston after a stunt mishap. 
ET previously learned that the minor incident involved a stunt rig. 

Bassett, who plays Wright's on-screen mother, assured fans that the Wakandan princess is doing just fine. 

"She had a little bit of a fall, but it's not too bad," she told ET. "You know, anything like that will shake you up, but she's just a little, slight, little petite thing. But she is fine and ready to go." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Well, who could have predicted this might be a problem?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/covid-vaccine-mandate-hollywood-1235026178/

A number of performers, from Rob Schneider (now shooting Netflix’s Home Team) to Letitia Wright (filming Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever) have shared anti-vaccine positions on social media. In Wright’s case, a set source says she has espoused similar views about the COVID-19 vaccines on the Atlanta production. The British actress quietly parted ways with her entire U.S. team of representatives in the wake of a backlash over posting a controversial anti-vaccine video in December.

Disney, the studio behind Black Panther, will begin rolling out a sticker system on all of its new productions in mid-October that requires visible proof of COVID-19 vaccination status, as stipulated in a return-to-work agreement between AMPTP and Hollywood’s unions. Those in Zone A who are fully vaccinated will have a wristband. Those who are not, will not. (Anything already shooting is not covered.)

Too late for a recast now, Disney. Not too late to give Shuri (a scientist, let's not forget) a speech in the movie about how vaccines are incredibly important and people who use social media diatribes and internet videos to justify their 'scepticism' are dumb.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

She may end up getting vaccinated anyway.

You mean, the outcry might make her change her mind? Let's hope so, otherwise her career will take a nosedive. Let's see how she likes playing Kevin Sorbo's love interest, or something equally terrible.

• LOL 5
9 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

She may end up getting vaccinated anyway.

For her sake, I hope so.

It really is an insult to the memory of Chadwick, who would have been one of the vulnerable people that getting vaccinated is supposed to protect. Godammit, fuck cancer. He should be here. I know he would have wanted Black Panther to go on because it meant so much to people, but….dammit dammit dammit.

• Love 9

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Begins Production Hiatus As Letitia Wright Continues To Recover From Her On Set Injuries
By Justin Kroll     November 19, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/11/black-panther-wakanda-forever-production-hiatus-letitia-wright-1234877227/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever officially began its production hiatus for the remainder of 2021 today as it allows star Letitia Wright additional time to recuperate from an on-set injury earlier this year.

This morning, cast and crew of the sequel received a note direct from Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige, Louis D’Esposito and Nate Moore acknowledging the pause. It confirms that production will resume in January with Wright on board but indicates that her injuries, which included a fractured shoulder and a concussion, were more serious than initially realized. Deadline first reported the accident, which happened in August during a stunt on set in Boston.
Here is the note sent to the cast and crew today with full details from Feige, Moore and D’Esposito:

As we wind down for the holidays, we wanted to send a note of thanks and appreciation for the hard work of our entire cast and crew, as well as an update on timing. First and foremost, this project is exceptional and something we know audiences are eager to see. We could not be any more excited to complete this film and share it with the world next year. Thank you for everything you’ve done to get us to this place.

Unfortunately, we’ve not gotten here without a few setbacks. Running a production of this scale in the midst of a pandemic is not an easy task, and you have remained diligent and professional throughout. In addition, as you are all aware, Letitia had a frightening accident on our set during a stunt back in August. It was a reminder of the importance of safety at all times in our work, which we know you understand and are committed to. What we had initially thought were minor injuries turned out to be much more serious with Letitia suffering a critical shoulder fracture, and a concussion with severe side effects. It has been a painful process and Letitia has been home recovering with her doctors and the support of family.

We’ve adjusted our production schedule so she has the time she needs to heal, but there’s only so much we can do without Shuri! We also want to thank Letitia for everything she’s doing to get back to the set – we know how much she loves this role, how tough it’s been for her to be away, and how hard she’s working to recover as quickly as she safely can. We are eagerly awaiting her return and we know we will all come back stronger together.

Please be on the lookout for more information on your specific return-to-work date. As of now, we’re on schedule to resume filming – with Letitia – in January 2022. We are all focused on finishing the movie with excellence, honoring the memory of our dear brother Chadwick in the process. We are thrilled to share Black Panther: Wakanda Forever with the world, confident that the challenges that we have overcome together as a team will make the film even more impactful. Please take care of yourselves and enjoy the holidays.

-Kevin, Louis & Nate

Edited by tv echo