Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: And the Court had a Clerk...

• Start Topic

Diane is aghast when Kurt reveals he recognized the face of a man featured in a U.S. Capitol insurrection "Most Wanted" poster. Intrigued by Wackner, Marissa sneaks over to his copy shop "courtroom" and is thrilled by what she encounters. Back in legitimate court, Liz uses a current case to tackle Section 230.

Original air date: July 8, 2021

Enjoyed the episode, and the return of Jane Lynch.  I really thought we'd see a major Diane/Kurt fight, and was surprised it did not happen.  Surely he must realize that she is the likely reason he is being investigated? 

• Love 2

Oh Diane.  You've really stepped in it now. 

I thought this was a very interesting look at the insurrection and I'll be interested in following the story. Of course Kurt will figure out who "dropped the dime."  Loved Diane saying "This isn't McCarthyism" and Kurt saying "It isn't?" Hahahahahahaha!  

The Kings have always done an interesting job of juxtapositioning arguments in their stories. If you ever watched BrainDead, their show about aliens taking over Washington, D.C. (it was FABULOUS) you can see what they can do with political satire.

Sometimes Diane wears me out, but last season was a winner and I hope this season continues to give us great complicated storylines. 

Also, yay for the return of Jane Lynch's FBI character. She's a pretty good foil for Diane.

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Loved Diane saying "This isn't McCarthyism" and Kurt saying "It isn't?"

I side with Diana. There is a clear line between informing on somebody's opinions (they are a human right) and informing on somebody's serious crimes (f.ex. spying, murder, and treason).

I believe that Kurt on purpose left his drawing to be found by Diana and told his friend's name, anticipating that she would do what he didn't couldn't to do. (Kurt's "friend" didn't deserve his loyalty: he first used him and when caught told lies about him!)

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Roseanna said:

I side with Diana. There is a clear line between informing on somebody's opinions (they are a human right) and informing on somebody's serious crimes (f.ex. spying, murder, and treason).

I believe that Kurt on purpose left his drawing to be found by Diana and told his friend's name, anticipating that she would do what he didn't couldn't to do. (Kurt's "friend" didn't deserve his loyalty: he first used him and when caught told lies about him!)

Kurt didn't tell her his name. She used her investigator to find out who he was. Kurt MAY have wanted Diane to investigate, we'll see where the story goes, but, as he said to Diane, he didn't want to say who the man was because he wasn't certain (probably not true) and once he named his suspicions, they would ask him to name other names. And he didn't want to do that. 

It is definitely a sticky wicket. 

17 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Kurt didn't tell her his name. She used her investigator to find out who he was. Kurt MAY have wanted Diane to investigate, we'll see where the story goes, but, as he said to Diane, he didn't want to say who the man was because he wasn't certain (probably not true) and once he named his suspicions, they would ask him to name other names. And he didn't want to do that. 

It is definitely a sticky wicket. 

Kurt knew that Diane regularly uses an investigator in her work. He also knew her opinions and values. He would be stupid if he didn't anticipate what she would do.

If you don't want your secret to be found, don't tell it to anybody.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Roseanna said:

Kurt knew that Diane regularly uses an investigator in her work. He also knew her opinions and values. He would be stupid if he didn't anticipate what she would do.

If you don't want your secret to be found, don't tell it to anybody.

The more I think about it, the more I think he was realizing that he had unwittingly trained insurrectionists. So telling Diane directly would have made it impossible for her to say anything, because he could have asked for her protection as his lawyer. Which was what happened after he told her the FBI had come to visit. 

Like I said, it is an interesting storyline, but we'll have to see how much of Kurt's actions are intentional. 

Love the side story about birds hitting Jane Lynch's office windows.  First, the birds were simply flying into the windows.  Then the experts stepped in to fix the situation.  Now the birds are getting sliced and diced and bloodying up the windows.  Of course, Jane Lynch dead pans her way through the explanation. 

• Love 4

Another fabulous episode. This season is on a role!

I have to say, it is glorious watching Mandy Patinkin and Christine Baranski bounce off each other. Both acting masterclasses.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, tableau vivant said:

This episode was more back on track, though I'm still not engaging with the back-room court house run by Patinkin.  I know they love their 'quirky' side stories each season, but this one is too ridiculous so far. 

I like it.  The justice system is so screwed up.  The only people getting "justice" are the rich.  The rest of us just get screwed.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2021 at 11:06 PM, tableau vivant said:

This episode was more back on track, though I'm still not engaging with the back-room court house run by Patinkin.  I know they love their 'quirky' side stories each season, but this one is too ridiculous so far. 

Watching the trailer for this season, I thought the back-room court house would be ridiculous, but the way they have actually showcased it I think is great. Like the poster above said, only the rich benefit from the justice system (as seen last season), so it's great to see how the "normal" people can "win" in the "court house."

20 hours ago, jada said:

Kurt and Diane's relationship made no sense especially in the Trump era.

How so? It would be a horrible society if there are no relationships between different groups. And a bad drama, too.

(edited)
12 hours ago, Roseanna said:

How so? It would be a horrible society if there are no relationships between different groups. And a bad drama, too.

This is not about different groups, it is about fundamentally different ideologies. Diane sells her self as a forward thinking, anti-racist, feminist liberal etc and she is going to bed with someone that is against all of that - how does that make sense? She is going to polls to vote for one thing and he is going to the polls to vote against her....these are not minor differences of opinions. Differences like - one is a night owl, one is an early riser, one is an introvert, one is the life of the party - that makes sense makes the world go round. 

Edited by jada
  • Love 3

Love this show! Everything from the casting, writing, wardrobes, and plot quirkiness to the masterful acting.

Court 9 3/4 cracks me up.

Makes me worry a bit, because usually when I enjoy a show this much, it gets canceled.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:21 AM, jada said:

This is not about different groups, it is about fundamentally different ideologies. Diane sells her self as a forward thinking, anti-racist, feminist liberal etc and she is going to bed with someone that is against all of that - how does that make sense? She is going to polls to vote for one thing and he is going to the polls to vote against her....these are not minor differences of opinions. Differences like - one is a night owl, one is an early riser, one is an introvert, one is the life of the party - that makes sense makes the world go round. 

I believe they started dating way back, maybe even before Obama, and they obviously found other reasons to love each other other than politics.  Kurt has shown himself to be more in the mold of an "establishment conservative" which didn't go in for the antics demonstrated by the Tea Party and the TFG.  

• Love 2
(edited)

We are a week behind in Canada. This episode aired last night.

Exellent episode. Thrilled to see the return of the animated shorts.

Nitpick: all the bike shop owners I know make a point of biking to work. Unless the car in question was a truck or van used for bike deliveries.

Edited by marinw
On 7/11/2021 at 8:23 AM, Quark said:

Watching the trailer for this season, I thought the back-room court house would be ridiculous, but the way they have actually showcased it I think is great. Like the poster above said, only the rich benefit from the justice system (as seen last season), so it's great to see how the "normal" people can "win" in the "court house."

I liked Judge Wackner describing this in theory, but is that actually what he is delivering in practice? In the second case he capriciously awarded the judgement to one side because the other guy couldn't reduce his argument to 6 words and then reversed his decision just because the winner refused to be gracious about it. Even if that was ultimately the most just decision, the parties have no way of understanding why or how, they just saw the caprice.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:21 AM, jada said:

So true and and I think it's so realistic. I know at least a handful of couples with opposing politics that were especially challenging during the Trump era. 

• Love 2
On 7/9/2021 at 9:25 AM, tunajune said:

Love the side story about birds hitting Jane Lynch's office windows.  First, the birds were simply flying into the windows.  Then the experts stepped in to fix the situation.  Now the birds are getting sliced and diced and bloodying up the windows.  Of course, Jane Lynch dead pans her way through the explanation. 

I'm slow in watching episodes of this show because I like to stretch out my viewing which in the past made going between seasons easier. I got completely caught up before this season started due to how short last season was due to real life. Having said all of that one thing I haven't missed is hat bird flying into the building stuff. I don't mind seeing Lynch's character every so often but I can live without the constant fictional bird suicides each time they show scenes in her office. 

• Love 3