Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
badhaggis

Clarkson's Farm

Recommended Posts

Jeremy Clarkson from "Top Gear" begins to run operations on his farm.

Share this post


Link to post

This show has a PBS vibe to it, imo.  I do like it a lot.   It’s so relaxing.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It really is relaxing. 

We used to watch "Escape to the Chateau" on Sunday nights before bed. The season is over and now we watch this. It has the same effect for us. Just a fun show to enjoy before bed for us!

I loved the little homages to his Top Gear persona. Lamborghini tractor anyone?  

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh yes, I like Chateau as well.  I’m going to try to introduce my dad to the show.  He grew up on a small family farm and is quite knowledgeable about crops, livestock, etc.  While it was a wholesome lifestyle, it was a lot of hard work.  He said it was too much work for kids and teens and doesn’t hold the fond memories you’d think.  We’ll see.  
 

How many episodes have you watched?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh yes, I like Chateau as well.  I’m going to try to introduce my dad to the show.  He grew up on a small family farm and is quite knowledgeable about crops, livestock, etc.  While it was a wholesome lifestyle, it was a lot of hard work.  He said it was too much work for kids and teens and doesn’t whole the fond memories you’d think.  We’ll see.  
 

How many episodes have you watched?  

We finished the third episode last night. How many have you watched?

Running a far is very hard work and I admire anyone that has done this. I know I could not do it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was doing some projects around the house when some of these were on, but saw more of the episodes through 5.  The lambing, potatoes, covid, etc.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We caught to potatoes and the lambs. I haven't seen the COVID episode yet. It sounds interesting to watch Jeremy deal with a pandemic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’d loved to tour the farm.  Maybe on my next trip. It’s been a long time since I was in Northern England.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

was in Northern England.

The farm is in Oxfordshire in South East England.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

We binged the whole season pretty quickly and loved it. We weren't sure what to expect after watching Jeremy on his various car and travel series. I was worried it would just be a big joke, with him endlessly swearing and pretending to farm, but the reality was much better. I actually learned a lot about farming! 

They sure don't sugarcoat things though. It looks like a gruelling, difficult life that pays badly if at all. But what a great season. I'd definitely watch a second. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was really surprised how upset Jeremy was about having to slaughter the sheep. Underneath that big shouty exterior he is a softie!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My husband said "Wait! What about a petting zoo?".  We held out hope to the bitter end.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Melina22 said:

We binged the whole season pretty quickly and loved it. We weren't sure what to expect after watching Jeremy on his various car and travel series. I was worried it would just be a big joke, with him endlessly swearing and pretending to farm, but the reality was much better. I actually learned a lot about farming! 

They sure don't sugarcoat things though. It looks like a gruelling, difficult life that pays badly if at all. But what a great season. I'd definitely watch a second. 

I finished it in a very few days and loved it. It was a treat, and I was sorry to get to the end of the series. I was impressed at how seriously he took what he was doing and even when things went wrong with stuff due to his inexperience, or uncooperative weather or the dozen or so other unavoidable things that happened, he solved the problems and kept going.

This series (season?) is all about getting started. I hope there will be another one following up. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/7/2021 at 5:10 PM, CoderLady said:

This series (season?) is all about getting started. I hope there will be another one following up. 

It has been renewed for a 2nd season. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I just found this topic. I've been a conflicted fan of Clarkson for a long time because, while I know a lot of his on-screen persona is a very exaggerated, blustering character, he is still very conservative and prone to bigoted views. But he is undeniably funny, and not more so than when he's making a fool of himself by arrogantly rushing in to something he's not thought through.

This show highlighted the best aspects of him, and did a lot more than even he expected, in showing a lot of the challenges and difficulties of being a farmer. He was not prepared, and his initial 'how hard can it be?' mantra was almost immediately proved wrong (as it always is). I've read that the initial concept was going to be him cocking everything up and making things explode, but he quickly realised he actually wanted to be good at farming. The stuff about rewilding was really interesting as well - creating habitats, clearing trees to allow more sunlight to get to the forest floor, the meadows and longer grasses.

The supporting cast were great, especially Kaleb and Gerald, the two locals who had to deal with Jeremy and his foolishness. Kaleb just not taking any of Clarkson's nonsense was great, and the image of this twenty-one year old lad telling Jeremy off was fantastic. I also really liked that Gerald, despite his incomprehensible speech, was still someone Jeremy was clearly fond of and had a warm, engaging presence.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2021 at 8:59 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

It has been renewed for a 2nd season. 

Great news. We watched it as a family and really enjoyed it. We frequently reminded the 9 year old that he couldn't repeat the vast majority of the words that were being used. We play Settlers of Catan and like to call the folks who gather sheep Clarkson.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/22/2021 at 4:07 AM, Danny Franks said:

I've been a conflicted fan of Clarkson for a long time because, while I know a lot of his on-screen persona is a very exaggerated, blustering character, he is still very conservative and prone to bigoted views. But he is undeniably funny, and not more so than when he's making a fool of himself by arrogantly rushing in to something he's not thought through.

This.  I don't like him, and his firing by the BBC was totally deserved.  But damn, he can be funny, so I thought I would give the show a try, and was surprised as hell when I binged through it in a couple of hours and was disappointed when it ended.   A kinder, gentler Clarkson?  Who'd a thunk it?  I think the difference is that the people on this show, like Kaleb, would always bring him back to the real world, whereas with May and Hammond the silliness just gets multiplied until it's ridiculous.  I have read articles that say behind the scenes he was as much a jerk as ever, and he really antagonized people in the local village (with those annoying laws) with some of his stunts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I loved the whole series. Jeremy and Kaleb's interactions are hilarious. I'm so glad it got renewed. This really shows a different Jeremy and  I'm loving it!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

This.  I don't like him, and his firing by the BBC was totally deserved.  But damn, he can be funny, so I thought I would give the show a try, and was surprised as hell when I binged through it in a couple of hours and was disappointed when it ended.   A kinder, gentler Clarkson?  Who'd a thunk it?  I think the difference is that the people on this show, like Kaleb, would always bring him back to the real world, whereas with May and Hammond the silliness just gets multiplied until it's ridiculous.  I have read articles that say behind the scenes he was as much a jerk as ever, and he really antagonized people in the local village (with those annoying laws) with some of his stunts. 

Of course he did. The rules really were ridiculous and I can see Jeremy being an ass because he is an ass. I enjoyed the show but it is also easy for Jeremy to make bad decisions with little real regret because Amazon was paying for them. 

Jeremy is funny but he is a dick and does not treat people well. It isn’t shown but you read about it. It does make it hard to watch shows with him but his shows are entertaining. It is a conundrum. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size