Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: All American: Homecoming

• Start Topic

Ready to get out of town for a few days, Spencer, Olivia, Jordan and Simone decide to visit Simone's aunt Amara at her HBCU in Atlanta where she is a journalism professor. The group is relishing in campus life, but it also is giving Simone and Olivia a different perspective they weren't expecting. While enjoying herself, Simone has a run in with a star baseball athletes named Damon, who she learns has his own reasons for being on campus.

Airdate: 07/05/2021

So wait, were they having Simone and Jordan seem "off" for so much of their relationship because they had always planned for her to star in a spinoff and connect with a different guy there?  I'm sure it wasn't that calculated, but if so, congratulations.  I'm guessing there will be some backtracking by Spencer/Olivia in the next episode because there's no way they finally get together in a backdoor pilot.

This wasn't too bad for a backdoor pilot overall.  Some of the characters seemed interesting, like Simone's aunt, while Damon's mom and the tennis girl weren't very sympathetic, but they probably have plans to explore more with them.  I know she gave the advice at the end, but how impressed are we supposed to be that she could beat Simone who was in jeans?

I liked how Damon wondered why he was telling so much about his backstory to Spencer.  I said, "It's called exposition."  I laughed when Olivia commented that it seemed like half of Atlanta was at homecoming, because it looked like a pretty small crowd from what we saw (likely because of the filming restrictions).  But then the party seemed pretty crowded and realistic-looking, which seems odd given that there would probably be more restrictions than for the outdoor scenes.

I wonder would have happened if they hadn't picked up the spinoff as a show.  Just have Simone forget all about her experiences and the connections she made?  Or have her enroll anyway and just disappear.  I'm guessing graduation isn't until next season and the spinoff isn't on the fall schedule, so it will be interesting to see what they do with her story to bridge the gap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/6/2021 at 6:29 AM, KWalkerInc said:

So wait, were they having Simone and Jordan seem "off" for so much of their relationship because they had always planned for her to star in a spinoff and connect with a different guy there?  I'm sure it wasn't that calculated, but if so, congratulations.  I'm guessing there will be some backtracking by Spencer/Olivia in the next episode because there's no way they finally get together in a backdoor pilot.

This wasn't too bad for a backdoor pilot overall.  Some of the characters seemed interesting, like Simone's aunt, while Damon's mom and the tennis girl weren't very sympathetic, but they probably have plans to explore more with them.  I know she gave the advice at the end, but how impressed are we supposed to be that she could beat Simone who was in jeans?

I enjoyed it also. The main cast was good, and I liked Damon (?) the baseball player and Simone’s aunt. The other college students and the baseball coach were a bit one-note, but they aren’t well-developed yet. 

I never cared enough about Simone to imagine watching a show all about her. But I liked her in this episode and found her interesting. I’ll check out the new show. 

It seems like they’re foreshadowing Simone and the baseball player getting together. Which of course, spells doom for her and Jordan. So why is the show making such a big deal about their wedding? Is that when they breakup? 

• Love 1

I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at the fashion show scene long enough to enjoy the rest of the show. Apparently, they had enough time to do costuming, hair and makeup for Simone and Olivia, who aren't students at the school, AND teach them choreography for starring roles in the routine, but not enough to fix the actual dancer's cosmetic issues? 

• LOL 1