Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E06: A Ramsay Birthday in Hell!

• Start Topic

The chefs take on a new type of challenge when the restaurant is closed for Chef Ramsay's daughter's 21st birthday party. The teams must endure double-Ramsay scrutiny during the challenge and dinner service, in which one team rises to the occasion, while the other serves up its biggest disappointment thus far.

Airdate: 07/05/2021

While Sam had a very bad night, Payton was the right choice to be gone. He had been up for elimination on both teams.

Brynn is crying a lot now, Kevin is getting stronger now. 

I think that Trenton and Steve will make it quite far, Keona grabbing the chips randomly made me laugh.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Megan’s bland noodle catastrophe was shady.

The noodles looked dry and undressed.  Perhaps he just neglected to stir them into the sauce.

I've gotten them like that from take out joints near me at times.  Sometimes they just don't put enough sauce in the dish hence not enough seasoning or taste either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm so tired of Brynn's constant crying and drama. No way is she winning just based on that.

And those rewards look more like punishments to me. What if you get injured during one of those stupid things and have to quit the show? I'm sure they have legal papers and everything, but that bugs me.

• Love 7
(edited)
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Megan’s bland noodle catastrophe was shady.

I also thought so as it looked like a setup to me. 

Then she was kind of gloating that whoever sent out the noodles would be in trouble.

vlcsnap-00029.jpg

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

And those rewards look more like punishments to me. What if you get injured during one of those stupid things and have to quit the show? I'm sure they have legal papers and everything, but that bugs me.

But they are AMAZZZZZZZZING!

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

I'm so tired of Brynn's constant crying and drama. No way is she winning just based on that.

Completely agree about Brynn.  Hypothetical:  Suppose someone has paid a couple of hundred dollars for dinner at the GR restaurant at the Paris Hotel, and the last thing that happens is that the server places their receipt in front of them and knocks over a glass of red wine onto a VERY expensive dress.  The customer is unhappy (to say the least), and her table companion insists on seeing "someone in authority" to complain.  Can you imagine if the person that goes out to deal with it is Brynn????  Sobbing uncontrollably??  Nope.  A person whose job it is to handle stress in an expensive situation is NOT Brynn.

About the surfing "reward" . . . not for me either.  They have these surfer things on some of the cruise ships I've been on.  If a real surfer gets on there and does well, it's fun to watch . . . but that rarely happens.  It's usually  person after person getting thrown off within 5 seconds.  After a while, it's boring.  And those folks have a choice to do it.  I'm not sure if the "winning" team members can opt to sit out "the reward" and just watch the others.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, that surfing reward doesn't feel like a reward to me, I'd opt out and ask if I can sit in a hot tub for an hour. 

Brynn has the emotional nature of someone her age, so I can't fault her for that. BUT I can't see any of these youngsters being a head chef of a GR place, it takes experience which none of these people have. It's fun to watch them try, but IRL I don't think it goes anywhere cept maybe a sous chef position.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

BUT I can't see any of these youngsters being a head chef of a GR place, it takes experience which none of these people have. It's fun to watch them try, but IRL I don't think it goes anywhere cept maybe a sous chef position.

The year that Christina won, the prize was being head chef at the GR restaurant at the Paris Hotel.  We were there one evening . . . she was expediting dishes coming out of the kitchen.  She looked calm, cool, and collected.  She was in her early 30s, but I suspect she was never a Brynn.

• Love 5

Sam is interesting. Despite his (likely solicited) "I'll show those girls how to cook!" confessionals when he was transferred to the red team, I'm gaining respect for him. He admitted he doesn't know meat temperatures, unlike Payton's "it's so easy to cook a noodles dish" boasting. Sam seems to have shown willingness to at least try to improve. Anybody who screws up garnish and a noodles dish two weeks in a row deserves to go home.

I do think Sam will outlast at least a couple more on the red team. Not sure if one of them will be Brynn.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

aren't these contestants early 20's? big world of difference IMO tween a young 20 vs a 30 yr old. 😃

Agreed.  But my point was that - even at 21 - I don't think Christina would have been anything like Brynn.  And it's possible that at 30, Brynn will still be . . . well . . . Brynnish.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Agreed.  But my point was that - even at 21 - I don't think Christina would have been anything like Brynn.  And it's possible that at 30, Brynn will still be . . . well . . . Brynnish.

good point. Christina seems so level headed under the worst of pressure - the only time I saw her somewhat emotional was a talking head moment I think from her season's first episode.  Brynn has some maturing to do emotionally.

• Love 2

I like the switching up of the teams as it really starts showing the strengths and weaknesses of the contestants.  It seems that some were able to hide behind the stronger women and some of the men are emerging without being dragged down by some of their former team mates.  Antonio though?  Still tiresome no matter which team he is on.

• Love 8

Payton was the right choice to go, but I hate that Brynn got her way. She's got this teacher's pet/center of attention neediness that bugs, even when she's not sobbing angrily about something. She always looks like she just got slapped. But I don't think she's ever been called out for messing up, so it seems like she's got good skills in the kitchen; if she'd just tone the drama way down and work, she'd go far. As it is, I think she's going to melt down and get herself eliminated.

What was Sam's appetizer? ONE scallop? If that had been my birthday party, Antonio could have put up Stouffer's Mac and Cheese and still beat Sam.

• Love 1

The 'surfing' was done last season, and was just as awful.  And last week they had to do that stupid mechanical bull?  Does Gordon want them to be injured?

Like I've said before, the best actual reward would be to be able to sit around the pool and chill for a bit.  And have a real conversation and get to know each other. Leave the shenanigans back at HK.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, jabRI said:

The 'surfing' was done last season, and was just as awful.  And last week they had to do that stupid mechanical bull?  Does Gordon want them to be injured?

Like I've said before, the best actual reward would be to be able to sit around the pool and chill for a bit.  And have a real conversation and get to know each other. Leave the shenanigans back at HK.

If I were to win a reward in Las Vegas, I'd want to go to Fremont Street and ride the zipline (again).

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

If I were to win a reward in Las Vegas, I'd want to go to Fremont Street and ride the zipline (again).

I haven't been to Fremont St. in years; where is the zipline?

Brynn suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. As someone who also suffers from anxiety I tend to sympathize with her. I think cooking wise she's quite strong and she appears to handle the stress of the kitchen fairly well during dinner service. I mean she's not having a panic attack over the steak. But yeah, when she's upset or stressed it starts to bottle up and after awhile she has a breakdown. Trust me, it's not anymore fun for her as it is for us watching. I commend her for taking a chance and joining Hell's Kitchen but I also do not think she's going to win this competition. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I can't imagine any self-respecting 21 year old wanting to have her birthday party cooked by a bunch of sweaty youngsters who are being yelled at by her father. Who thought that up, Gordon? And how stupid was the "planner" ordering the kids to count out 21 purple and pink candies for the favor boxes? What, you couldn't order a bag each of purple and pink candies instead of a pointless effort in picking out each color from a rainbow bag? Dumb, useless and an idiotic favor box. Give 'em all nips of booze instead. Or gift cards for a fancy cocktail. 21 stupid candies? Are they ten?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Brynn has the emotional nature of someone her age, so I can't fault her for that. BUT I can't see any of these youngsters being a head chef of a GR place, it takes experience which none of these people have. It's fun to watch them try, but IRL I don't think it goes anywhere cept maybe a sous chef position.

The "Head Chef" position given to the yearly HK winner is basically a very well-paid line chef position. No, it's not an Executive Chef position, but it does give them verifiable, real-world experience in a GR (or equivalent) restaurant. What the winners do with it is up to them. Christina Wilson, who now runs all of GR's Vegas restaurants, is the big HK success story. Others have also gone on to successful careers. Some have not. For instance, one winner many years ago quit after a few weeks, as he'd left a legitimate Executive Chef position in his hometown and viewed GR's "Head Chef" position as a demotion. His old restaurant had never hired his replacement and wanted him back, so off he went. Another example: Season 17 winner Michelle Tribble is in the process of leaving the profession altogether and becoming a dietitian (she was on Food Network's Chopped a few weeks ago and wanted to spend the $10,000 winner's prize on dietitian school).

11 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

I can't imagine any self-respecting 21 year old wanting to have her birthday party cooked by a bunch of sweaty youngsters who are being yelled at by her father. Who thought that up, Gordon? And how stupid was the "planner" ordering the kids to count out 21 purple and pink candies for the favor boxes? What, you couldn't order a bag each of purple and pink candies instead of a pointless effort in picking out each color from a rainbow bag? Dumb, useless and an idiotic favor box. Give 'em all nips of booze instead. Or gift cards for a fancy cocktail. 21 stupid candies? Are they ten?

I assume the planner was told to crank the bitchiness up to 11 for the cameras. And you're correct: any candy distributor will gladly give you whatever colors you want if the order is big enough. Meanwhile, Megan Ramsay seems like a nice enough person, but she definitely did not inherit her father's on-camera charisma.

• Love 3
On 7/6/2021 at 5:17 AM, Such A Flirt said:

14 hours ago, jabRI said:

I agree.  Not everyone has the same thrill-seeking spirit.   Mechanical bull and the surfing thing are both things I would refuse, even at a younger age.  I don't enjoy being bounced around and possibly injured, and then to be expected to take it in stride.   

A "reward"  should be doing something pleasant and enjoyable, which differs among individuals.  A relaxing day at a spa, a catered meal, a day at a pool , are things that can appeal to everyone, and can be a nice break from the chaos of Hells Kitchen.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Red Bridey said:

I agree with the candy part, but they couldn't really give them booze, unless all of her friends are already 21, and she is the last to turn "legal".  The separating the candies by color was stupid - and wasteful, because I assume the other colors were tossed out, since they were handled.  This episode played to all the stereotypes - the pretty little entitled princess who had to have things her way, and the protective dad who doesn't want her to have boyfriends, even at 21.  

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

It's a TV show run by television people. The drama/bullshit is cranked up to the max for ratings so people like us will watch it and discuss it and watch it again next week.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As if seeing Matilda wasn't bad enough. Now we get first born Megan? Whatever.

I didn't get the best vibes from Megan but Tilly seemed like a nice young woman.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

A "reward"  should be doing something pleasant and enjoyable, which differs among individuals.  A relaxing day at a spa, a catered meal, a day at a pool , are things that can appeal to everyone, and can be a nice break from the chaos of Hells Kitchen.  

I agree, but then beyond titillation a hot tub or pool scene doesn't offer much viewing entertainment. I guess surfing faceplants and potentially being bull-thrown is seen as more entertaining? I do like seeing the nice meals the winning teams are treated to.

5 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I agree, but then beyond titillation a hot tub or pool scene doesn't offer much viewing entertainment. I guess surfing faceplants and potentially being bull-thrown is seen as more entertaining? I do like seeing the nice meals the winning teams are treated to.

I have to respectfully disagree.  I think one thing we saw in earlier seasons was contestants really connecting and getting to know each other.  Now all they do is scream over each other.

• Love 2

I’ve personally never been on one of those surfing simulators- and honestly it wouldn’t be my choice for a fun afternoon in Vegas.  Still, the kids seemed to be enjoying the experience.  If they happen to embarrass themselves by wiping out, well... I mean, they’ve already signed up for Hells Kitchen.  And, when it comes to comedy on this show, I’d rather watch a bunch of pratfalls off a fake surfboard than the bad acting of a phony party planner.

Otherwise, for all the silliness and pandering of the episode, “don’t bring me someone else’s mistake,” is a pretty solid critique- we’ll have to see if it sticks.

• Love 1

So crying is unacceptable and too emotional for the kitchen but yelling, screaming profanities, and throwing plates of food against the walls is appropriate behavior?   Gotcha.

• Love 4
On 7/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, preeya said:

It's a TV show run by television people. The drama/bullshit is cranked up to the max for ratings so people like us will watch it and discuss it and watch it again next week.

Well of course I know that. I also laughed when the ridiculous party planner directed the chuckleheads to decorate the cake! Seriously? These dopes can't cook chicken and they are supposed to be cake decorators? Just no... 

• LOL 3
On 7/6/2021 at 6:55 PM, seacliffsal said:

I like the switching up of the teams as it really starts showing the strengths and weaknesses of the contestants.  It seems that some were able to hide behind the stronger women and some of the men are emerging without being dragged down by some of their former team mates.  Antonio though?  Still tiresome no matter which team he is on.

I was impressed with his Lobster Mac and Cheese, and so seemed the Ramsays.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, Red Bridey said:

The candies thing was DISGUSTING.  Is there COVID in this timeline?  Regardless, that was disgusting.  Imagine eating 21 candies touched by another person's fingers.  Oh my god.  Retch!

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The candies thing was DISGUSTING.  Is there COVID in this timeline? 

Someone here said this was filmed two years ago and shelved for some reason until now. So pre-Covid, but still gross. As others have pointed out, they could have bought only the colors of candy they wanted, but then they couldn't annoy the contestants with a stupid task.

• Love 1