Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: This Is Guss

• Start Topic

Happy birthday Behrad!

Hearing Gideon say “co-captain Sharpe” is vomit inducing. 

Mick’s going to be a grandpa?! Hee! And is also pregnant?

The fake Alf who took over Behrad’s show was cute. No Beebo but then who is? And Spooner still wants to kill it. I’m enjoying her.

Dressed up Behrad did look good. Too bad it translates into douche. 

Aww Mick learned to use his words. So proud. Lita’s boyfriend is a delight.

Astra as Labor Relations was funny. She may have found her calling.

Nate gave Alf an edible and saved the day.

I couldn’t see what Astra gave Behrad. Zari’s speech to OG about him was sweet. I guess OG will be around for a bit until Con returns? I will never not hate the relationship with Nate so that’s not going to be fun.

• Love 3

I liked Lita referring to Ava as "Aunt Ava." I'd forgotten than Ava accompanied Mick on all his supervised childhood memory visits, so it actually made sense. Also, I think I heard Ava call him "Mickey" which amuses me greatly 

Behrad looked good when he was just drinking coffee and stealing Nate's pomade. 

I loved Nate channeling his inner Rip Hunter, popping his collar as the landlord turned into "Nick Hunter" and went after Guss Guss. 

Don't know how I feel about Zaris switching places. I've started really liking Zari 2.0, and while I miss Zari 1.0, I'd made my peace with it. But the switching Zaris is giving me Caitlin/Killer Frost vibes and I don't need that in my life again. 

• Love 3

This week: a fight to save Behrad's slacker soul from a fugitive alien altering his all-time favorite show. Of course, if Spooner hadn't tried to shoot Guss's pod, none of the resulting chaos would have happened.

Seriously, that was a good episode focusing on Behrad and the stuff that made him what he became. Aside from Zar1.0 altering the timeline, of course. And speaking of her, looks like her and Zardashian can trade place in and out of the totem. Yeah, that does seem shaky (you could call it "Frost-y"; thank you, @bettername2come) but I have faith in Legends Ditto for Guss's obnoxiously cute ass. Really hoping we don't have a fight between it and some form of Beebo. Or should I start hoping for that?

Lyta's pregnancy was a curveball. Great to see Mick try his best not to go back to the single dimension. Of course, since this is Legends, turns out Kayla got him pregnant. Cue the wacky "knocked-up guy" hijinks for next week . . . but, once again, I have faith in the series.

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Hearing Gideon say “co-captain Sharpe” is vomit inducing.

Well, it seems to be her official position now. Sara is Fun Action Captain, Ava is Fifty Flow Charts Captain. Also I'm thinking Ava likes not being called "Gidget." That is a cute running gag though.

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Nate gave Alf an edible and saved the day.

I love this series.

• Love 4
(edited)

Fun seeing Behrad be front and center here.  Shayan Sobhian was definitely having a blast playing the different variations of Behrad each time the timeline got worse and he became more "business like" and arrogant.  Amused that Astra kept finding him hotter each time it happened (well, until he spoke at least), although I definitely think their exchange at the birthday party is hinting that Astra is still at least somewhat attracted to normal Behrad even if she won't admit it out loud.  Curious to see if they keep this a tease or if something will actually happened between them.

Great seeing Lita again and she's now pregnant!  Mick handled it about as I expected: initially lashing out and then later contemplating killing the boyfriend, but then calming down both times and actually being somewhat mature.  He's growing up so fast!  Which is a good thing since apparently he is now hosting a whole brood of alien babies thanks to his fling with Kayla.  That's why you use protection, Mick!

Continue to be surprised over how much I've been enjoying Nate this season.

Guss didn't quite reach Beebo status, but was still pretty adorable.

Not sure I quite buy the "loophole" for them to alternate Zaris going forward, but I'm fine with it because as much as I've been enjoying Zari 2.0., OG Zari is still one of my favs and I'm all for seeing her again.  And it allows Tala Ashe to continue to play both variations splendidly, because she's that damn awesome.  The scene with both of them in the totem was really well done and perfectly acted by her in both roles.  They really struck gold casting her for this character(s).

Glad that Vancouver got to play itself for once!

Great episode.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

I'm a little confused about Behrad and the show he loves. Doesn't Behrad come from 2045 or something, which is long after this show was on apparently. Did he just watch old syndicated reruns or something?

5 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Did he just watch old syndicated reruns or something?

Yep. He watched the reruns constantly he said. Which makes sense as, in real life, Golden Girls and Friends have been off the air for years and are still incredibly popular. It was a big deal when Friends arrived at Netflix and when it moved to HBO Max and Golden Girls is reportedly among the most watched Hulu shows. 

• Love 1

If we've learned anything from television of the last few years, people love them an adorable alien puppet that can be mass marketed, and while Guss isn't quite Baby Yoda levels of adorable, I would certainly buy a plush toy version of him, he is a real cutie. No wonder he brought Behrad's extremely niche stoner sitcom mass appeal. That was a pretty fun episode, I can even freely enjoy the sitcom style tropes, like everyone forgetting Behrad's birthday, as it was set in and around an actual sitcom. I liked having Behrad front and center, and while they played a lot of his stoner hijinks for laughs as always, they also gave him some real pathos which I am always happy to see. We even got some decently interesting discussion about representation on television and appealing to a broad demographic that will make lots of money versus a show that will be less commercially successful but will mean a lot to the small amount of people it clicks with. Plus, we got some meta humor with Nate being brought into a failing show to jazz up its second season, and I love that he was basically doing a Rip Hunter impression for his intergalactic bounty hunter character. The "Avalance got engaged" bit made me cringe though, sometimes this show gets too meta for its own good, especially when its trying to further push their golden couple. Behrad really did look pretty great in his corporate outfit, no wonder Astra was into the change. They seem to be heading towards something between the two of them happening, which I could be interested in seeing more of. 

Nice seeing Lita again, even if Mick isn't exactly thrilled that she got pregnant since the last time he saw her. He predictably loses it for awhile, but he actually showed some maturity when he decided to just roll with it and support Lita, even resisting the urge to kill her boyfriend/baby daddy, who fortunately seems like a real keeper. Then of course we find out that Mick is pregnant too which...I know that this show goes hard on the wackiness, especially in a sitcom themed episode, but that is a LOT of wacky, even by this shows standards. Also nice to see Ava and Lita again, I do actually like their relationship quite a lot, its honestly way more interesting than her romance with Sara. 

Not surprising that Zari 1.0 would remember Behrad's birthday while Zari 2.0 would forget it, the Behard in Zari 1.0's timeline was murdered by a fascist government which was a huge part of Zari's dark backstory and motivation, but while Zari 2.0 obviously loves her brother, he has always been there so his birthday is just a birthday, and not a tragic memory of a lost loved one. I am not sure I buy this loophole, but I do love Zaro 1.0 so I am happy that she might be around more, even if it means more of the boring Nate/Zari relationship. I hope that they switch in and out though, I would hate to lose Zari 2.0. Tala continues to be one of the shows biggest MVP's, switching easily from one version of Zari to the next. 

Edibles save the day again! 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Don't know how I feel about Zaris switching places.

If they do something good with both Zaris then it's worth it even with the massive leap (hey, who knew that the totem ancestors were also experts on the timeline and temporal variants).  If it was just so Nate wouldn't be bummed out then it's idiotic.

• Love 4

I initially thought Gary was mad at Mick when he slapped the bottle out of Mick's hand, but I've realized that Gary is just protecting Mick's pregnancy.

21 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Dressed up Behrad did look good. Too bad it translates into douche.

Apparently he has two modes, wastrel or workaholic hustler. I blame the writers.

I was also wondering what happened to the other six people who watched the show. I would probably be a different person if Captain Simian & the Space Monkeys had been a different show.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, tennisgurl said:

we got some meta humor with Nate being brought into a failing show to jazz up its second season,

I loved him asking in the audition if the show was for the CW.  I suspect many more mature cast members of  CW shows have asked the same question when approached for a part. 

On 7/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, appositival said:

I initially thought Gary was mad at Mick when he slapped the bottle out of Mick's hand, but I've realized that Gary is just protecting Mick's pregnancy.

Apparently he has two modes, wastrel or workaholic hustler. I blame the writers.

I was also wondering what happened to the other six people who watched the show. I would probably be a different person if Captain Simian & the Space Monkeys had been a different show.

That leads to some timey-whimey questions. Like, Behrad started changing immediately but everyone else didn't remember the new Behrad yet. So all over the Legends/Arrowverse, do people start acting strange or disappearing because the Legends temporarily borked the timeline?

(edited)
10 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

Just no comment on Mick's alien pregnancy. I...yeah. Just no comment. 

Oh, I loved that reveal, especially Lita's amused reaction. I could see from the not even barely suppressed smile on her face that she wanted to burst out laughing at the news that her father, who had gone nuclear over the news of HER pregnancy to the point that he had actually planned to kill her baby daddy without so much as a second thought, was himself pregnant after having had unprotected sex -- and with an alien, no less! 

Mick can thank his lucky stars that LIta's boyfriend was able to talk him down -- he'd have lost her forever if he'd gone through with his plan to murder him in cold blood. Now he just has to live with the embarrassment of being in the same situation that she's in because HE got careless!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Not the strongest episode but still fun.  Nice to get a Behrad episode and the return of Zari 1.0.

You can say "co-captain" all you want  show but you're never going to get me to accept that nonsense.  

I noticed that Gideon called her "Co-Captain Sharpe" but then towards the end of the show said "Captain Lance".  I pretend that Sara is the only Captain.

I truly hate Nick's hair.  He's got that puffed up douchey hair that half the guys on the Bachelorette always seem to have and it was even worse this episode.