Type keyword(s) to search

Fear Street trilogy (2021)

SeanC
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I loved 1663 and it was mostly what I expected. Sarah Fier was innocent and hung. The Goods were actually evil. It wasn't hard to figure out especially when the asshole Caleb no one listened to suddenly everyone was listening too. Blamed for the evil and he got "revenge" for Sarah stopping him from raping Hannah. Soloman got to kill the only one who knew the truth who he also liked but was in love with Hannah not him.  Not to mention making so many people go crazy every few years and kill a bunch of people just so the Goodes and Sunnyvale could be perfect.  

I liked that Deena "saw" what happened and it was great a moment when Nick suddenly showed up. Yeah, he was evil all along. I did feel bad for Ziggy finding that out. The only person who actually liked her. I wish we got to see her confront Nick.

I love how quick Martin was to join in killing Sheriff Goode. 

The mall scenes were awesome! Using the blood was a great idea!  So were Deena fighting Nick. I did wonder if for a moment they were going to let Sarah Fier/Sam loose on Nick. That would have been awesome revenge. 

Constance and Abigail, name checks for two Fiers in the books. George and William name checked for Goodes.

I am disappointed that none of the Fiers were actually evil and that Simon was a throw away name. 

I want to know how the Widow got the book and from who. Did she steal it from the Goodes? What about Sarah's mother? She somehow knew the land was good.  I wonder if she was an early victim of the Goodes or did it mean something else.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I am disappointed that none of the Fiers were actually evil and that Simon was a throw away name. 

I forgot that disappointment about Simon. When I saw the cast of the first two movies would be playing the 1666 characters, I had hopes that Simon's 1666 lookalike would play some kind of role in the mythology. Missed opportunity. I did appreciate that 1666 Kate/Simon/Cindy stuck by Sarah, giving her a proper burial.

(You could argue it ends up screwing Cindy and Ziggy later, but I don't see what positive difference it would have made if they had found Sarah's body at the tree. Knowing the truth about 1666 would have done nothing to save them from the killers who were closing in, so they would have still died. The only difference it would have made is a negative one; Ziggy would have known that Nick was the bad guy, and so he probably would have done the same to her that he did to Sam, and unlike Sam, Ziggy didn't have anyone left who could save her. So Sarah's body being moved in 1666 actually saves Ziggy's life later.)

Which reminds me, in addition to Deena not taking that book so she could burn it, I was also surprised that the Hanging Tree was left intact. I would have set that thing on fire too. Both Sarah and Cindy were murdered there.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LilaFowler said:
  Reveal spoiler

hands.png

Who's this potential future villain? Those look like a man's hands and forearms.

I enjoyed the movies and I hope we get more. I saw a blurb that the director wants to make a movie about one of the old Shadyside serial killers from the 50s but I would like to move forward in the story, not back.

If they do more Fear Street stuff, I'd like to see them do the cheerleader series. 

• Love 2

My hope is that this trilogy will lead into adaptations of the actual books. So maybe the Goode book was taken by someone who will use it in a different rather than a Shadyside vs Sunnyvale continuation. If the police tape hadn’t been there I’d assume it was taken in the present day, allowing Shadyside to grow into a decent place, and the person would turn out to live on Fear Street and curse it by using the magic.

If I had to guess I’d say the logical culprit is a Goode relative trying to get the power back (kind of surprised the mayor didn’t immediately get embroiled in a scandal but I guess they figured the serial killer brother is enough) OR maybe a Fear descendant (Sarah’s dad was still alive when she was killed) deciding the world owes them for the last three centuries.

I don’t know I just want to see The Prom Queen get adapted.

• Love 1

I didn’t follow much of the speculations but I did catch on to Solomon Goode being the one who stole the book and set a curse on the town right before Sarah did. 

someone else said it perfectly, just because it’s a little predictable doesn’t mean it’s not satisfying and when it’s written and portrayed well it still works really great. So many horror movies try to surprise the audience, it was nice to have a story just unfold with character we cared about. 

I liked how even in 1666 some things were always the same, like teens sneaking off and partying and drinking and taking some drugs. The entire series sets up the dynamics between characters quickly and efficiently. Maybe 1666 gets it easier cause they used the same actors from the first two but I still liked how the movie started. 

The theme of women who get screwed over by cowardly men should be old and over played but it really isn’t when you see it play out in reality. 

I just really liked these movies so much. I didn’t expect to honestly. I definitely wasn’t sure if they could end the series in a high note but they really did. 

• Love 8

Just finished Part I and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was well written and acted. Plus, couldn't miss those Pop Culture references to 90's movies like Scream etc also a lot of real events that happened during that time.  Deena & Sam awwww , liking them so far. Can't wait to follow up on Parts II & III soon to finish the storyline. As an R.L Stine fan I thought they did justice to his books. 

• Love 2

I just finished binge-watching these at a friend's house, and thought they were a lot of fun. Between the gay leads (who not only live but get a happy ending) and the class issues that made up the crux of the plot, it strikes me not for the first time that slashers/horrors can be surprisingly subversive at times. 

That's not to say the trilogy wasn't incredibly predictable - as a book reader I knew that Nick was the key villain the moment he dropped his last name (I gasped out loud, which gave the game away to my newbie friend), it was obvious that Ziggy was going to be the surviving sister from the very first movie when the newspaper identified her as "C. Berman" (that was clumsy, as why on earth wouldn't a newspaper use a person's full name? It was clearly a blind, even though they could have just given BOTH sisters a nickname if they wanted audiences to be in doubt as to which one survived) and the second I saw the difference between the Shadyside/Sunnyvale residencies it was obvious that someone had made a deal with the devil and was sacrificing Shadysiders to keep their town affluent (this was also a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode) - and yet, it was a solid plot with engaging characters. That's all it needs to be sometimes.

There were some fun callbacks, from the security gate at the bookshop that didn't go all the way down, to Ziggy's "Carrie" plan, to the recycling of the actors across all three films, and some genuine pathos at times, even from Solomon/Nick Goode. He had such soulful eyes, it made me kinda sad that he WAS the villain (not that he didn't deserve that comeuppance). 

As a book reader, I think it was a wise choice for the writers to take the VIBE of the books (no parents, nonchalant reactions to gruesome murders, a period flashback from the sagas) and create their own story (the history between the Fiers and the Goodes in the books is WAY different), though like others I'm pretty surprised that there was no Simon or Angelica Fear, the ultimate dark power couple. Newbies would walk away from this thinking that the Fier family were complete innocents. 

(Which does create something of a plot-hole - if Sarah Fier went down in history as a witch responsible for murdering innocent children, why on earth would they name a street after her?)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, moonorchid said:

So many horror movies try to surprise the audience, it was nice to have a story just unfold with character we cared about. 

Agreed. I would argue that we did get a surprise in Part 3 albeit one that worked with the story as told and therefore fit in seemlessly: the reveal that the Goode family weren't passive beneficiaries of Soloman's pact with evil in 1666 but had to actively choose victims to keep it going. Young Nick made a comment about not necessarily wanting the life planned for him in Part 2 and I wondered if we would learn that he was aware of the curse but believed there was nothing he could do to break it. They could have easily gone there and included Nick on Team Break The Curse but instead they made it clear that all of the Goodes not only knew about Solomon's pact but didn't hesitate to take part to keep it going. That's 300 years of murderers which is fucking scary and fits perfectly in the Fear Street world.

I like seeing things unfold but I think being told about the outcome of breaking the curse worked better. Seeing the news report about Nick being named the Shadyside Serial Killer and the implication that the fallout would remove his brother from office was enough to know that Sunnyvale was going to lose some of its shine and become a more normal town. Seeing the note from their dad and the hug between Ziggy and Nurse Lane were nice indications that Shadyside was going to get better. If they'd tried to give us any details it probably would have fallen flat but they let us assume that breaking the curse led to some magic influence and then moved on.

I do like how they presented Solomon. His wife and daughter had died and he was struggling so his desperation to make the pact was understandable but it required him to murder people and he didn't hesitate which is where our sympathies end. We weren't asked to feel sorry for him once we learned the details but to see the horror of who he was and what he was doing. My guess is that the Widow was either keeping the book safe from people like Solomon or had come to know enough about magic to use it in a way that didn't harm anyone.

8 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Which does create something of a plot-hole - if Sarah Fier went down in history as a witch responsible for murdering innocent children, why on earth would they name a street after her?

My guess is the decision makers in Shadyside decided to embrace the town's heritage in the same way that the school's mascot is a witch. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

That was a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. My only real complaint is Ziggy not getting to actually confront Nick, but I suppose it wouldn't have mattered anyway, given what he said to Deena later. He was in way too deep to feel any actual shame or guilt. I was rolling my eyes at the part where he had the nerve to talk about what the Goodes had sacrificed. STFU, Nick. Other than Ziggy not wanting to interact with you anymore because she thought you didn't believe her, what did you ever lose?

Using Deena's blood as both a way to get Nick attacked by the various killers and to get the killers to attack each other was brilliant. The mall was a great set piece for the finale.

And now we know why Ziggy wasn't turned into a killer and Sam was, because Nick controlled who became killers. He was willing to make an exception for Ziggy but he didn't want Sam running around alive to potentially figure things out and break the curse. The irony is that if he had just left Sam alone, everything would have worked out fine for him. She didn't have enough information. I guess it took Sarah's full body to get the full story, just interacting with her hand or her body wasn't enough.

And now that we know that Nick controlled who became killers and when, wow, it really takes a special level of sociopathic assholery to activate one of these killers at a summer camp where so many children are running around.

Why not just...   murder Sam the old fashioned way tho? He was a serial killer anyway.

2 minutes ago, natyxg said:

Why not just...   murder Sam the old fashioned way tho? He was a serial killer anyway.

Because why take that risk? It wouldn't be easy to catch her alone, he might be seen killing her, and if nothing else, it'd create an unsolved murder where, even though he'd obviously tank the investigation, could raise questions and get other people looking into the murder. The "efficient" thing about killing Sam in this fashion, by turning her into a killer that will inevitably be killed during her murder spree, is that it wraps everything up neatly so there is nothing to investigate. Everyone believes they know who the killer is and doesn't know there's another one out there who actually activated that killer. And his own role in activating Sam as a killer is perfectly safe, since nobody's ever going to think of a deal with the devil in which he can give the devil names. This is a routine that has worked for 300 years without fail - why reinvent the wheel? And the devil can always use more souls.

I forgot to mention, I really liked the little Crucible-style montage of "I saw Sarah/Hannah!" with a bunch of men/boys, gender-flipping the Salem accusers. Historically, most of the accusers of women practicing witchcraft were men.

• Love 3

I was a bit bummed....I thought one of the main characters should have died.  I even figured Deena's brother would be killed since he really offered nothing even in movie #1.

I'm hoping the next movie will do one of the books. 

Haunted was an interesting book because the lead isn't 100 % sure if she caused someone's death or she was seeing things in her bedroom.

Halloween party would have been interesting with a mysterious student inviting random people to her mansion on Fear Street with a score to settle.

I thought 1666 was great. I was positive that one of Team Kill Nick was going to die and was so pleasantly surprised when they all lived. Honestly, the 1666 part was just so sad to me. Especially knowing that actually happened to girls and women. And then the 1994 part stressed me the fuck out.

I was kinda hoping they would turn all the killers on Nick, but I was fine with how it played out. I actually felt sorry for the killers, or at least the original people not the ooozing goo manifestations. They were all just normal folks this asshole family randomly picked on a whim to become murderers. 

I was a Christopher Pike kid so all of Fear Street is new to me. I'm sure I read some R.L. Stine, but I can't remember anything specific, but I hope Netflix continues with these types of adaptations. I'm actually glad it was released each week as it was on streaming because however long the wait in between theatrical releases would have been tough, and I think it might have lost some momentum. 

• Love 3
On 7/17/2021 at 9:28 AM, scarynikki12 said:

I like seeing things unfold but I think being told about the outcome of breaking the curse worked better. Seeing the news report about Nick being named the Shadyside Serial Killer and the implication that the fallout would remove his brother from office was enough to know that Sunnyvale was going to lose some of its shine and become a more normal town. Seeing the note from their dad and the hug between Ziggy and Nurse Lane were nice indications that Shadyside was going to get better. If they'd tried to give us any details it probably would have fallen flat but they let us assume that breaking the curse led to some magic influence and then moved on.

They did show an immediate effect of the curse being broken: Deena and Sam exited that house that was clearly in a Sunnyvale neighborhood and immediately saw a Sunnyvaler in his car getting hit by a truck. Right then we knew that Sunnyvale's streak of being blessed was over.

22 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I was a bit bummed....I thought one of the main characters should have died.  I even figured Deena's brother would be killed since he really offered nothing even in movie #1.

Personally I feel they killed enough people over the totality of the films. There were only four survivors at the end of this one: Deena and Sam, the final girls of the first film, Ziggy, the final girl of the second film, and Josh. Deena, Sam and Josh all needed to live so that there could be a happy ending of sorts - Deena would be heartbroken if her brother were dead. (I appreciated how Deena periodically flashed to the people that were lost so that we knew she remembered them.) And of course the director wanted to subvert typical horror by having the survivors be people who normally are among the first killed. Ziggy could have gone, but I think that would have just been too sad, given that she'd already died once and that she'd wished most days since that she hadn't lived. She's had no kind of a life and now maybe she finally can.

I would say Josh contributed a lot - he wasn't right about the full story (no one was, it took Deena seeing a complete vision), but the rest of the group would never have cottoned on to this having to do with Sarah Fier at all if not for him.

• Love 6

I am embarrassed at my inability to recognize Gillian Jacobs with brown hair. I knew she looked familiar, but had to look her up to see who it was. 

I didn't like this one as much. Falsely accused of witchcraft, rich powerful guy made a deal with the devil, pretty basic. Definitely doesn't seem to have balanced out the good versus the bad. Like, you got one nice town and only had to kill hundreds of people. The cost-benefit analysis doesn't check out.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I was kinda hoping they would turn all the killers on Nick, but I was fine with how it played out. I actually felt sorry for the killers, or at least the original people not the ooozing goo manifestations. They were all just normal folks this asshole family randomly picked on a whim to become murderers. 

As cheesy as it sounds, I would not have disliked a scene in which we saw the spirits of the serial killers freed from their possession and allowed to transcend as their true selves (or whatever). RL Stine was not above that sort of thing in the books. That, or they should have been bad people to start with and therefore more susceptible to demonic possession, making it easier for the Goodes to offer them up for bad ends. But as we saw with Tommy (and Ruby to a lesser extent)... that wasn't the case.

In fact, the sequence between Tommy getting attacked by Nurse Lane, being told he was going to die, and then slowly succumbing to evil as he and the others headed out to the underground cave network was probably the most upsetting part of the whole trilogy. You could SEE the possession overtake him and there was nothing he could do about it.

• Love 2
On 7/19/2021 at 2:02 AM, Ravenya003 said:

That, or they should have been bad people to start with and therefore more susceptible to demonic possession, making it easier for the Goodes to offer them up for bad ends.

I wouldn't have wanted the Goodes to have a "we only pick bad people" justification, like they're the Dexters of Sunnyvale. I think it's much more powerful that they could have gone that route and simply didn't care enough not to. It makes the point that if one is willing to make (or continue) that kind of a deal with the devil, they're already morally bankrupt.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It makes the point that if one is willing to make (or continue) that kind of a deal with the devil, they're already morally bankrupt.

Yes, I thought that this was a really important part of the overall mythology, that they saw literally everyone else as disposable and only existing in service to their need for power and comfort. 

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
On 7/3/2021 at 8:54 AM, Racj82 said:

Having Maya Hawke in the beginning felt almost too close to Strangers Things. It was like see her character in a fast forward to the 90s with the same kind of job but we are back in the big new mall again. It could have even been the same mall used for filming for all I know.

I'm not sure if it's the exact same mall but both Fear Street and Stranger things were filmed in the Atlanta, GA area so it very well could be.

How big were those underground tunnels that Deena and Sam went into them from the mall but came out in Sheriff Goode's house in Sunnyvale?

I heard an interview about the movies on npr and it was favorable, so I added them to my list. I'm not a horror fan per se, but I'll watch them if they're good. I don't know anything about the books either.

The movie was fantastic. I was totally engrossed throughout. I was yelling at them to not run around in a dark grocery store, but they weren't listening. I like that it was 1994 because you have the younger kid on AOL chat, which would have been still kind of new. (You have to figure the 'queen' he's talking to is either the witch or someone connected). You also have newspaper clippings, which was a neat trick to slide in some exposition. Also, no parents anywhere. 

After they 'killed' Sam, there was still a half hour left. I was like 'uh oh'. 

It's going to rain today, so I'm going to try to knock back the rest. 

• Love 1
On 7/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, Black Knight said:

(Makes sense for an era in which people didn't carry cell phones they could set a whole bunch of reminder alarms on.)

I was from that era. No one did that regularly. It's really ocd. 

On 7/11/2021 at 10:05 AM, Black Knight said:

I was rewatching the beginning and AdultZiggy had a note saying "IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN". We don't know anything about that note, do we? She had it before Deena and Josh showed up, otherwise I might have thought that one of them wrote it to get her to open the door.

Goode put the note in her mail slot in 1994. 

Good selection of songs in 1978 too. You can't get more classic than summer camps axe murderers! I did like how they found the book, so we learned more, and there is an actual solution - putting the hand with the rest of the body. It was mentioned upthread, but I don't quite get how there's a body if the witch was supposed to be immortal. Then again, writing stuff down over 400 years is going to muddle the message. 

I got fooled initially as to which (see what I did there) sister lived, but figured it before the end. 

They're really hammering the Shadyside people being down on their luck. Clearly 1666 Union was important because the towns split there. So I guess I'm going to fix a drink and figure it out next. 

• Love 1
On 7/16/2021 at 4:47 PM, andromeda331 said:

I want to know how the Widow got the book and from who. Did she steal it from the Goodes?

It seemed to me that Solomon killed her and took the book. He said he brought his wife to her and it was too late, so he probably saw the book there. He had said to Sarah early on that he couldn't farm the land. It just got to the point from what I saw that he got fed up, killed her, took the book, and made the deal for prosperity. 

On 7/17/2021 at 1:31 AM, moonorchid said:

The theme of women who get screwed over by cowardly men should be old and over played but it really isn’t when you see it play out in reality. 

Basically, Shadyville got screwed because an incel thought he was entitled to a hot girl and got called on his bullshit. Solomon was doing all his devil deal, but really it would have just kept going otherwise. Sarah would have never found out about him if she wasn't running from the town, and even Solomon was trying to get her on his side. He was kind of forced into outing her as a 'witch' in order to cover his ass. I totally buy this whole cursed town through the centuries being based on something so trite. Banality of evil so to speak. 

I certainly will be looking forward to more movies in this universe. I'd really like to know how the Goodes chose the names. In 1978, Tommy was just some guy; there wasn't any history there. Maybe that's the point. Or how often they have to pick someone. Ruby Lane was in the 60s, then 1978, but I don't recall if there were more names until 1994. 

It's not clear to me how there are Feir descendants if Sarah didn't have kids and was killed. For that, I assume the Goodes came from the other guy's side since Solomon's wife and child died. I suppose he could have remarried, but it was a small town, and he clearly couldn't leave. I'd be interested in the split of Union into the two towns too. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It seemed to me that Solomon killed her and took the book. He said he brought his wife to her and it was too late, so he probably saw the book there. He had said to Sarah early on that he couldn't farm the land. It just got to the point from what I saw that he got fed up, killed her, took the book, and made the deal for prosperity. 

I'm sorry I meant where the Widow got the book. Whether she got it from someone else or it was passed down in her family. I wondered if it was possible she got it from Sarah's mother but just from what her father said and how "good" Sarah had been delivering pigs and everything and how Sarah's mother supposely knew it was a good place to settle. It would be interesting to find out. 

Basically, Shadyville got screwed because an incel thought he was entitled to a hot girl and got called on his bullshit. Solomon was doing all his devil deal, but really it would have just kept going otherwise. Sarah would have never found out about him if she wasn't running from the town, and even Solomon was trying to get her on his side. He was kind of forced into outing her as a 'witch' in order to cover his ass. I totally buy this whole cursed town through the centuries being based on something so trite. Banality of evil so to speak. 

I certainly will be looking forward to more movies in this universe. I'd really like to know how the Goodes chose the names. In 1978, Tommy was just some guy; there wasn't any history there. Maybe that's the point. Or how often they have to pick someone. Ruby Lane was in the 60s, then 1978, but I don't recall if there were more names until 1994. 

It's not clear to me how there are Feir descendants if Sarah didn't have kids and was killed. For that, I assume the Goodes came from the other guy's side since Solomon's wife and child died. I suppose he could have remarried, but it was a small town, and he clearly couldn't leave. 

It would be interesting to find out how they were picked. Sarah seemed to be the only one friends with Soloman and he seemed to be trying to get her on his side. But maybe he resented how good Sarah was at everything? She gave him a piglet and the first "sign" of trouble was the pigs. Or maybe because he found out about Sarah and Hannah and targeted her for revenge. But the minister was the first mass murderer which is an interesting pick and he went after kids. I do hope it was more like Tommy just being some guy and Ruby being just some girl. It makes it so much more worse then picking someone who was already bad to be the mass murderer. It seems to fit mostly that being the case because each person picked was normal and suddenly went crazy.  

Its possible Soloman remarried and had children but he did also reference a brother. So either one or both could have descendence. Sarah's father was shown to still be alive but a widower. Its possible he remarried. But I'm not so sure anyone would marry him since everyone thought his daughter was a witch.

I'd be interested in the split of Union into the two towns too. 

So would I. That would be really interesting to see how it happened.

17 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I was from that era. No one did that regularly. It's really ocd. 

On 7/11/2021 at 9:05 AM, Black Knight said:

Well, of course. My point was in that era, if you were experiencing the sort of issues Ziggy was giving you a compulsive need for reminders, then that's what you would have to do because there weren't cell phones.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm sorry I meant where the Widow got the book. Whether she got it from someone else or it was passed down in her family. I wondered if it was possible she got it from Sarah's mother but just from what her father said and how "good" Sarah had been delivering pigs and everything and how Sarah's mother supposely knew it was a good place to settle. It would be interesting to find out. 

The Widow was also credited with the surname 'Lane', which can't be an accident. There's got to be some history with Lane and Goode we haven't heard yet. 

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It would be interesting to find out how they were picked. Sarah seemed to be the only one friends with Soloman and he seemed to be trying to get her on his side. But maybe he resented how good Sarah was at everything?

I don't think he resented anything. When she told him she was a lesbian, he basically said, 'no worries, we can still get married'. She was freaking out about bringing the blight to the town, and he was quick to tell her she didn't. 'You have to invite the devil. You didn't do that.' She got scared when she figured out he summoned the devil and was the cause of the pastor killing the kids. She was going to go all witch before all that and went to the Widow's house to get the book in the first place. It was because her brother got killed that she decided to fight back. Once he realized she wasn't going to play ball, he had to go with the witch angle to cover his ass. 

It's actually kind of funny and a good twist on the typical horror movie. I mean, what if she just said, 'can you save my girlfriend?' 'Sure no problem.' Then what? 

If anything, the whole Pilgrim/Great Awakening thinking of that era is the real villain. Everything about everything was the devil creeping around to get you. It always makes me laugh because it's so self-important. Yes, the devil is coming specifically for you. Who makes bread and milks the cows. You're that important. 

8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Its possible Soloman remarried and had children but he did also reference a brother. So either one or both could have descendence. Sarah's father was shown to still be alive but a widower. Its possible he remarried. But I'm not so sure anyone would marry him since everyone thought his daughter was a witch.

The same actor playing Nick played Solomon though. It seems to imply direct lineage. Doesn't mean he couldn't get married again. The whole point was to get the farm going. If he was suddenly prosperous, likely the town elders would want to see him married off. He also 'found' the witch and killed the pastor. Likely he gained some stature in the town. 

I could see Sarah's father just up and leaving to another place and starting from scratch and starting a new family. 

You could easily do a movie in the Ruby era where someone gets a hold of all this information. Now that we know the Goodes are in on it, maybe someone is investigating the history of the place, or even Ruby herself, and they have to cover it up. I mean, if we know there are Feir progeny, there's the movie. 

Just fyi, back in the 90s, malls were just malls. You go there to walk around and maybe buy something. Or get a coffee. This was before Starbucks, etc., was a thing, so the mall had a coffee place. Netflix seems to think malls were houses of horror pre-internet. Good job having a B Dalton's on the show though. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The Widow was also credited with the surname 'Lane', which can't be an accident. There's got to be some history with Lane and Goode we haven't heard yet. 

That would be interesting to find out.

If anything, the whole Pilgrim/Great Awakening thinking of that era is the real villain. Everything about everything was the devil creeping around to get you. It always makes me laugh because it's so self-important. Yes, the devil is coming specifically for you. Who makes bread and milks the cows. You're that important. 

Yeah its so funny and stupid. The devil is going to skip more important people who could bring more souls and/or do evil things to go after you. Sure that's likely. And yet somehow people actually believed that.  

The same actor playing Nick played Solomon though. It seems to imply direct lineage. Doesn't mean he couldn't get married again. The whole point was to get the farm going. If he was suddenly prosperous, likely the town elders would want to see him married off. He also 'found' the witch and killed the pastor. Likely he gained some stature in the town. 

That's the likely scenario. Although, its possible they both had descendents who married each other. At least for awhile. Keep it in the family and easier to keep the family secret. 

I could see Sarah's father just up and leaving to another place and starting from scratch and starting a new family. 

I hope so. I still want to see a Simon and Angelica. At some point you'd think the Fiers would want revenge. I also wonder about Hannah. She mostly likely married her mother seemed the type to make sure of it. But she also knew that Sarah was innocent. She had died to save her. Did she look it to afterwards? Would she wonder why Soloman accused Sarah? Since as far as she knew they got along? 

You could easily do a movie in the Ruby era where someone gets a hold of all this information. Now that we know the Goodes are in on it, maybe someone is investigating the history of the place, or even Ruby herself, and they have to cover it up. I mean, if we know there are Feir progeny, there's the movie. 

That would be a really good place to explore. And fun. 

Just fyi, back in the 90s, malls were just malls. You go there to walk around and maybe buy something. Or get a coffee. This was before Starbucks, etc., was a thing, so the mall had a coffee place. Netflix seems to think malls were houses of horror pre-internet. Good job having a B Dalton's on the show though. 

I was a teen in the 90s and yeah they were just malls. Although I mostly just went there for B Dalton and later Borders and to go to the movies. There was one video store I wish I could remember the name that was really good at tracking down old westerns that I'd get my dad every year for Christmas. 

On 7/10/2021 at 12:43 AM, LilaFowler said:

Re the rhyme: yeah, I totally think that Sarah Fier

Hide contents

was wrongfully executed and cursed the Goodes. Maybe the Goode ancestor(s) led the the persecution and Fier won't stop until the Goode descendants are dead?

Who moved Fier's body and put the stone there? Ziggy bled on the bones, was killed and then revived, but did not turn into a serial killer. Why is Sam a foaming-at-the-mouth killer when she had the same experience?

I preferred the second movie to the first, even though it was not scary whatsoever. In fact, I even shed a few tears at the end

Hide contents

(RIP Alice)

. I can't wait for the third movie.

I know it's not terribly important but

Hide contents

Gillian Jacobs and Sadie Sink do not look remotely alike. Where did all of Ziggy's mermaid hair go?

In regards to your spoiler tagged questions I think it was to do the twist of which sister she was. 

On 7/10/2021 at 8:27 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Was there supposed to be some sort of ambiguity about which sister would die and which one would grow into an adult?  Because 

Hide contents

I assumed right away that Ziggy was the one who would live.

So did I. Sadie was a huge part of the promotion while Emily wasn't. So I assumed there would be a "Twist"

On 7/16/2021 at 10:42 PM, scarynikki12 said:

My hope is that this trilogy will lead into adaptations of the actual books. So maybe the Goode book was taken by someone who will use it in a different rather than a Shadyside vs Sunnyvale continuation. If the police tape hadn’t been there I’d assume it was taken in the present day, allowing Shadyside to grow into a decent place, and the person would turn out to live on Fear Street and curse it by using the magic.

If I had to guess I’d say the logical culprit is a Goode relative trying to get the power back (kind of surprised the mayor didn’t immediately get embroiled in a scandal but I guess they figured the serial killer brother is enough) OR maybe a Fear descendant (Sarah’s dad was still alive when she was killed) deciding the world owes them for the last three centuries.

I don’t know I just want to see The Prom Queen get adapted.

The Prom Queen is one of the stand alone books id LOVE to see Adapted. As well as Surprise Party, Halloween Party, The Best Friend, The Stepsister, Bad Dreams, Secret Bedroom, The New Girl, Sunburn, The Perfect Date and More lol. I do wonder how they would Adapt Lights Out cause the Camp in the book shares the same name with the Camp in 1978

• Love 2
On 7/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm hoping the next movie will do one of the books. 

Haunted was an interesting book because the lead isn't 100 % sure if she caused someone's death or she was seeing things in her bedroom.

Halloween party would have been interesting with a mysterious student inviting random people to her mansion on Fear Street with a score to settle.

LOVED Halloween Party and been wanting to see it Adapted ever since I read it lol. One thing I really liked was the leads GF being a deaf girl who was able to read lips very well and she was the first one to Suspect something wasn't right with the Party 

• Love 1

Whatever books they adapt, they need to do more worldbuilding for those of us that are casual fans and don't read the books. I'm still leaning to a 50s/60s Ruby Stone movie because we'd still have the mother as a continuing character, and you still have Nick Goode as a teen who learns of the family 'power' and how he grows to accept it. We don't know who actually 'named' Ruby in the cave either. It could be him for all we know. Maybe they need her to kill someone who uncovered the Good secrets. 

• Love 2
On 7/21/2021 at 3:02 PM, Black Knight said:

I wouldn't have wanted the Goodes to have a "we only pick bad people" justification, like they're the Dexters of Sunnyvale. I think it's much more powerful that they could have gone that route and simply didn't care enough not to. It makes the point that if one is willing to make (or continue) that kind of a deal with the devil, they're already morally bankrupt.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:46 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

She was freaking out about bringing the blight to the town, and he was quick to tell her she didn't. 'You have to invite the devil. You didn't do that.'

See, this is what I was talking about when I said there should have been something already wrong with the serial killers; it kind of went against the trilogy's established rules that they weren't. Solomon told Sarah that you have to invite the devil in for him to have any power... unless you're one of the Goodes' chosen possession victims, in which case you can just be minding your own business one day and then boom, you're on a mass murder rampage.

It's not a dealbreaker, I still liked the trilogy very much, but that part just felt a bit off to me. 

I take the point, but I don't think any rules were necessarily violated. Sarah thought she brought the devil into the town because of her hookup. It was Goode, who we would learn genuinely liked her, and who was very, very insistent that she *didn't* invite the devil. At the time of the scene we thought it was because he was into her, and when she said she was a lesbian, he was down to marry her regardless. So she didn't invite the devil or was bad. 

We see later it was Goode who named the pastor to be possessed. Goode could have already done it at the time of that prior scene. So, there's really no rules violated there. That stands to reason then, that the pastor had the devil in his heart or whatever. Which, a Great Awakening priest that isn't on the up and up and more holy than thou than holy isn't hard for me to buy. 

Since we know Goode in 1666 was the first one to kick everything off, I think we can take what he said at face value. 

It also stands to reason that everyone named that we saw in 1994 in the cave was also vulnerable or susceptible to possession, including Sam, which sucks. It furthers the tragedy that Shadyside was deliberately cursed. 

9 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

I wouldn't have wanted the Goodes to have a "we only pick bad people" justification, like they're the Dexters of Sunnyvale.

Clearly, no, because Sam in 1994 wasn't Dexter level bad, but was still possessed. We're all having fun speculating with limited knowledge. We never really got much from the book or from Goode's pov about how or who you name. There could be a list in the book - they have to be 2 of the 7 things on this list, etc. Or where the book came from in the first place. The 'widow's' name was Stone; a la Ruby Stone, so there's got to be some more to that too. 

There's also the 'split' that was mentioned between the towns, so there's got to be something there that sheds light on everything. 

The 'rules' could be ridiculously rigid. Like, maybe you only have to be born in Shadyside. It could be that simple. The town was presented as kind of economically depressed, no one ever gets out, etc. So that could be deliberate. 

That's why I was suggesting a self contained movie that does some more world building. If you go back to Ruby's time, you get a good plot investigating the whole Stone line and relationship with the Goode's. 

I think the selection of the people isn't random. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think the selection of the people isn't random. 

Clearly at least some of the time it was not random (beyond the obvious rule, once the community split into the towns of Shadyside and Sunnyvale, that it always had to be a Shadysider). It's no accident that the first one Solomon Goode chose was the spiritual leader of the community. Removing him created a power vacuum that allowed the Goode family to become dominant, and ever since they were the mayors and sheriffs and so forth. And Sam was chosen because she'd touched Sarah's bones and had seen visions, and anyone who did that had to be eliminated (except for when Nick spared Ziggy for sentimental reasons) in case they'd be able to use their knowledge from the visions to break the curse.

There's probably at least a few more names on that long list in which the Goodes were directly benefited in some way - like owners of property the Goodes wanted, political rivals, and so forth. And some people that the Goodes just didn't like or whatever. (Nick's choice of Tommy might have been linked to his being Ziggy's sister's boyfriend whom Ziggy resented.) But if the Goodes only ever chose people like that, others might have started making connections, so likely the family did make sure to choose some Shadysiders at random too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

And Sam was chosen because she'd touched Sarah's bones and had seen visions, and anyone who did that had to be eliminated (except for when Nick spared Ziggy for sentimental reasons) in case they'd be able to use their knowledge from the visions to break the curse.

I had forgotten to mention that. Ironic that everyone thought she was cursed by the witch and in the process of freeing her of it, they learned the truth and unraveled the whole Goode plot. 

That's a good point about the pastor. There's some forethought on Goode's part.

I think the original point about the 'choosings' was that Olde Goode said, 'you have to invite the devil in' when Deena/Sarah in 1666 thought the blight was caused because of her being a lesbian, and he was adamant that it was not. 

On 8/17/2021 at 11:03 PM, Ravenya003 said:

See, this is what I was talking about when I said there should have been something already wrong with the serial killers; it kind of went against the trilogy's established rules that they weren't. Solomon told Sarah that you have to invite the devil in for him to have any power... unless you're one of the Goodes' chosen possession victims, in which case you can just be minding your own business one day and then boom, you're on a mass murder rampage.

I made the point that the pastor wasn't necessarily totally good to begin with, so having 'the devil invited in' isn't a stretch for me. This begs the question of selection of all the future victims. It could be as simple as Sam 'seeing' the witch was the 'invitation', but there's still the rest. 

That's why I posited that the rules of being an invitee could be just ridiculous as to the point where it is in fact just up to the Goode - you're not a virgin before marriage, you smoked, drank, etc. Real old testament, Great Awakening, everything is a sin. Which, fits, if you look at 1666, where everything was 'the devil' and you sinned this and that. It was laughably easy for the incel to convince the rest of the town that Sarah was a witch. 

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Clearly at least some of the time it was not random (beyond the obvious rule, once the community split into the towns of Shadyside and Sunnyvale, that it always had to be a Shadysider).

So here's the key point. We know Shadyside is an economically depressed area which basically breeds vice. How this split was originally done is a critical missing piece of information. By establishing the town as the 'wrong side of the tracks' it just breeds people who are potential invitees. 

Of course, Goode did genuinely like Sarah, and, given he had all this occult knowledge at the time of the scene, that we did not know yet, he could have just been calming her down because he knew she wasn't responsible. 

I kind of lean toward the selection of the people to not being totally random; there had to have been legitimate good people in Shadyside. If a Goode can pick literally anyone over there, it's kind of bleak. If Ruby's mother uncovered the cave and located the hand and the tree, why not name her and get rid of her? Why name Tommy? Strategically, he's a poor choice. 

• Love 1

I do wonder if there was a second reason that Soloman targeted the pastor to be the first one. His wife and child died. All of the prayers, faith in God, and anything the Pastor said or did didn't work. They died. He probably blamed God and targeted the Pastor or blamed both and targeted the Pastor to be the first.  

• Love 1

It's kind of funny movies/tropes - wise that in 1666 that we didn't have Goode give a 'villain speech'. 

It makes total sense there that Goode blamed god and took it out on the pastor. His late wife said that she was convinced they could farm the land. The other comment about removing the pastor, in 1666 Great Awakening, because he had all the power, and would create a vacuum, is also legitimate. 

Was Goode thinking strategically, just out for revenge, or just as self-entitled as his incel cousin, and thought the world owed him? 

They left a lot on the table in these movies. Certainly, there's a ton more to mine. 

• Love 2

If anyone is still in the mood for spooky supernatural fun, the first season of the are you afraid of the dark revival is up on Netflix. I was caught off guard by how much I enjoyed it.

There's Someone Inside the House is also turning out to be a fun new era slasher for Netflix. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I had been saving these for Halloween time and had finally finished them. 

I was a Fear Street fan back in the day, and although I’m not a huge fan of slasher films, these were really good! I liked the mystery part as well. It made it really intellectually interesting. My initial thought was that the Goode family framed Sarah Fier for witchcraft and she was trying to seek revenge. Then during Part 2 when I learned about Nick Goode and “legacy” I thought “uh oh”. I think the Goodes picked individuals at random to become killers just because they could. It didn’t matter who got hurt, so long as they were protected. There was a split between Sunnyvale and Shadyside because the Goode family wanted to make sure that their descendants stayed safe. That also fed the “myth” of the witch. I was hoping Solomon Goode was good, and maybe that’s why Sarah protected his descendants from the curse because he tried to save her, boy was I let down. 

Nurse Lane did a really good job of figuring things out, I was surprised to see her alive at the end but I remembered it was 1994, not 2021. 

I would love to see more films. 

On 8/18/2021 at 10:41 PM, Black Knight said:

Clearly at least some of the time it was not random (beyond the obvious rule, once the community split into the towns of Shadyside and Sunnyvale, that it always had to be a Shadysider). It's no accident that the first one Solomon Goode chose was the spiritual leader of the community. Removing him created a power vacuum that allowed the Goode family to become dominant, and ever since they were the mayors and sheriffs and so forth. And Sam was chosen because she'd touched Sarah's bones and had seen visions, and anyone who did that had to be eliminated (except for when Nick spared Ziggy for sentimental reasons) in case they'd be able to use their knowledge from the visions to break the curse.

I agree. 

• Love 2

Also- I wanted to add that I had a different understanding of what Solomon was saying to Sarah about “inviting the devil in” and how she couldn’t be the cause of the blight just by doing something she thought was sinful or being “weird or different”.

All of those names on the stones (the pastor etc) did not “invite the devil in”- they were VICTIMS of the devil/evil. They were not responsible, their soul was clear- they were possessed because of what Solomon (and later his descendants) did. Those weren’t just accidents or bad luck, the Goodes made a choice, and thus they were responsible. Not the innocents who were possessed (although they looked responsible before the truth was discovered). 

Sarah Fier wasn’t responsible for the horror done to her town for “sinning” or something, the Goodes were responsible because they invited the evil in to hurt others. 

• Love 4
On 8/21/2021 at 7:40 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Was Goode thinking strategically, just out for revenge, or just as self-entitled as his incel cousin, and thought the world owed him? 

I think Solomon was actually broken hearted by the loss of his wife and child, and was corrupted by power. The taking out of the pastor was strategic, to create a power vacuum like others stated above- but unlike is asshole cousin, he wouldn’t have hurt people just for shits and giggles. I think he did like Sarah and would’ve wanted to marry her (even knowing she was a lesbian) but he was willing to sacrifice her to keep up with his plan. Had she never found out about the cave but just didn’t want to marry him, he might have let her escape. Run off to another village or something. 

Similar to how Nick Goode those years later did allow Ziggy to live even though her blood had touched the hand. Likely he would’ve wanted her on that bus with the campers that escaped. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

They were not responsible, their soul was clear- they were possessed because of what Solomon (and later his descendants) did.

Not necessarily. They could have let the devil in, so when Goode said their name, then it worked. We'd have to see a Goode naming someone and it not working to confirm. I mean, Great Awakening pastor? I could buy that he's done some things that made him susceptible. 

Solomon Goode was telling Sarah that she didn't cause any problems because he knew she was a genuinely good person. 

37 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Not necessarily. They could have let the devil in, so when Goode said their name, then it worked. We'd have to see a Goode naming someone and it not working to confirm. I mean, Great Awakening pastor? I could buy that he's done some things that made him susceptible. 

Solomon Goode was telling Sarah that she didn't cause any problems because he knew she was a genuinely good person. 

I didn’t see it that way. Solomon was telling Sarah she didn’t cause any problems because she didn’t.

Solomon knew he was the one that called out the devil and had the pastor be possessed (which was the reason he killed those kids). Solomon was the one who brought the blight on the town for his own prosperity, killed the pastor after he was possessed and framed Sarah when she discovered what he did. 

Throughout the sagas it was stated that “regular every day people” went on violent rampages and killed their loved ones/friends. I don’t think any of the people were culpable. They were tools of the Goodes that sacrificed them for their own gain. Which makes it even sicker IMO- the Goodes look like roses and have nice lives, and the innocent people are used like puppets and their names tarnished. 

• Love 2