Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

I was just feeling badly for Simone yesterday because of the coverage.

She’s the greatest of all time!  No gymnast has ever been better!  She should get five gold medals in one games!  (That last one is what put me over the top)

No one should ever have that much pressure put on them, no matter how freaking talented they are.  Whatever is going on with her, my wish is for her to be safe, healthy and happy.

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I can see this as being called "mental" rather than "injury."  Mental meaning not focusig properly, not mental as in anxiety, panic attack.    It is also the right thing to do.   With her moves, if she is off her focus, she could seriously injury herself.   Not broken toes injured, but major life altering injury.   I'm glad she has the confidence to say "not today folks."   

Hope she can be back for 2024.   If not, from what I hear, she has a great future in coaching.   

This. She's incredibly lucky, or it’s more of an artifact of how elite she is, that she was not seriously injured on the vault this morning. Laurie Hernandez (Tokyo Live) had some interesting analysis that Simone wasn’t intending to land the vault when she landed; she was intending to go into another turn and didn't realize she was landing. Any other athlete, and that could have been a major injury. I'm glad she pulled out.

With all the foregone-conclusion, it's-basically-set-in-stone, TeamUSA-wins-gold GOAT Simone coverage, the interviews about what it’s like to be sexually abused, no family support on site, and the expectation to carry the entire team (i.e., being blamed by MSM for letting her team down during prelims, while NBC Primetime didn’t show the mistakes her teammates made - and I wonder how that narrative might have affected team dynamics), the pressure, stress, and trauma of all of it must be absolutely immense. 

• Love 23
1 minute ago, dovegrey said:

This. She's incredibly lucky, or it’s more of an artifact of how elite she is, that she was not seriously injured on the vault this morning. Laurie Hernandez (Tokyo Live) had some interesting analysis that Simone wasn’t intending to land the vault when she landed; she was intending to go into another turn and didn't realize she was landing. Any other athlete, and that could have been a major injury. I'm glad she pulled out.

With all the foregone-conclusion, it's-basically-set-in-stone, TeamUSA-wins-gold GOAT Simone coverage, the interviews about what it’s like to be sexually abused, no family support on site, and the expectation to carry the entire team (i.e., being blamed by MSM for letting her team down during prelims, while NBC Primetime didn’t show the mistakes her teammates made - and I wonder how that narrative might have affected team dynamics), the pressure, stress, and trauma of all of it must be absolutely immense. 

My first thought was there are people at NBC who are probably gleeful. Media loves the raise and THE FALL. 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Chaser said:

My first thought was there are people at NBC who are probably gleeful. Media loves the raise and THE FALL. 

Also huge for ratings in primetime tonight if the US women medal.

WTF is with these scores? Are the Russians being overscored or the Americans underscored? IT'S THE COLD WAR ALL OVER AGAIN and I call bullshit that the Russians are allowed to compete under a quasi-Russian team after their STATE-SANCTIONED DOPING SCANDAL.

Ahem.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 13
Just now, Minneapple said:

WTF is with these scores? Are the Russians being overscored or the Americans underscored? IT'S THE COLD WAR ALL OVER AGAIN and I call bullshit that the Russians are allowed to compete under a quasi-Russian team after their STATE-SANCTIONED DOPING SCANDAL.

Ahem.

The American girls have major form breaks. They get deductions for that.

6 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Ahem.

I can’t comment on scoring cause I don’t know enough but that “ban” is a joke. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Jordan just went out of bounds on FX. Likely a silver for the US now.

Not sure WTF happened to China. They were supposed to medal but everything has been an epic disaster for them.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

Jordan just went out of bounds on FX. Likely a silver for the US now.

Not sure WTF happened to China. They were supposed to medal but everything has been an epic disaster for them.

I'm just now tuning in, and thus catching up. I was wondering what happened to them. Will any of their team members be competing in the individual all around?

I think short of a disaster the ROC got this. 

Edited by Enero
1 minute ago, Enero said:

I'm just now tuning in, and thus catching up. I was wondering what happened to them. Will any of their team members be competing in the individual all around?

I think short of a disaster the ROC got this. 

Yes they have two gymnasts going into the AA.

• Love 1

I'm a weird superstitious sports viewer and I was worried people, including Simone herself, were tempting fate with all the GOAT talk(which she is, let's be clear about that). I hope she's OK and is going to be able to continue on these Olympics. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Since we've been talking about the two gymnasts per country rule, I just realized that Viktoria Listunova the reigning Russian National Champion + European Champion and the inaugural World Jr Champion won't be in the all around even though she finished sixth overall in qualifying - unfortunately, it was behind three Americans and two of her teammates. I would be willing to compromise (lol) and say it's fine to keep the cap at two per country for the individual events - but I really think they should go back to allowing at least three from each country for All-Around. Also, does anyone know - are countries are allowed to substitute someone in if there is an injury? Because I was also wondering if there might be a Tatiana Gutsu - Roza Galieva situation on our hands.....  

I know that they changed the rules after Barcelona so that a gymnast who’d made the finals could be substituted regardless of whether they were injured or not. That way the coaches could put in the best prospect, even if they weren’t the 2nd (or at the time 3rd) highest placed. I’m not sure if it still applies though. 

43 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm a weird superstitious sports viewer and I was worried people, including Simone herself, were tempting fate with all the GOAT talk(which she is, let's be clear about that). I hope she's OK and is going to be able to continue on these Olympics. 

When she put the goat on her suit, I winced. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Enero said:

Suni was the best U.S. on FX.  She did very well.

Rock solid!!!!

I don't know much about her but I love the efficient, zen attitude.

Is she going to be in the all round individual final?

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, pennben said:

This team could have fallen apart when Simone went out.  They did not.  Well done by them.  Gold is not the only measure of success.  I will remember this team.  

Agreed. As Michelle Kwan stated so eloquently back in 98 after Nagano, [she] they didn't lose the gold, [she] they won the silver. 

I do hope Simone will be able to compete in the AA. 

I feel bad for the Japanese and Italy, they came so close to bronze. Congrats to GB though. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, pennben said:

This team could have fallen apart when Simone went out.  They did not.  Well done by them.  Gold is not the only measure of success.  I will remember this team.  

I think all those questions about whether they were “tough enough” without the Karolyis were answered today. 

• Love 24
9 minutes ago, Chaser said:

When she put the goat on her suit, I winced. 

I feel for Simone, but yes, she put that pressure on herself too. She called herself the GOAT, put the GOAT emoji on her leotard and all. She's been in the spotlight basically her whole life, and her whole life she's had that pressure on her, and she's always performed up to expectations -- until recently. Going back to the US championships, it seems like she hasn't really been ON, you know?

Good for the US women. overcoming adversity like that to win silver. That's not just a gymnastics or athletic issue they overcame, they overcame a huge mental issue too. Having a teammate withdraw like that in the middle of competition -- it's like if in football, your starting quarterback leaves in the middle of the game.

But fair warning, now here come the headlines. "Biles withdraws, US women stumble against Russia."

• Love 16
17 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I agree.  You always wonder when a star athlete will "become human".  It just seems there are always some that seem unstoppable, but eventually they have succumb to pressure, injuries, or something that changes their path.  Simone surprised me a bit though...she has been through so many competitions and seemed rock solid.  Plus with all of her past medals you would think that some pressure would be off, knowing you had your huge Olympic opportunity already and get to do it again.  I am guessing it was the sexual abuse situations and other things that led up to some of this--she said in interviews how much it affected her, and many just didn't know that.  

• Love 1

I always thought of the GOAT symbol as something cheeky and kind of silly because her NOT doing it doesn’t mean everyone else stops calling her that. The pressure was on no matter what so she tried to lean into it and have some fun. I don’t think that’s why this happened. She’s been saying for awhile now on that Versus on Watch show that she’s having mental issues with the extra year and she’s over it. Also that she didn’t know how she’d react without her family there. She’s clearly pretty open and honest about stuff because she obviously wasn’t being coy about that.

• Love 18
(edited)

I’m never going to root for the Russians (I’m sure their girls are lovely people, it’s not their fault) but I’ll console myself in a small way by remembering they were in first on Sunday.  So this isn’t entirely unprecedented.

And hey, the US lost their best member, who was in first across the board on all events, and still placed second.  There is nothing to hang their heads about!

And cue the CBS Sports alert - “U.S. gymnastics falls short”

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4