Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

I'm watching the commentated coverage on my TV and the USA Team Tracker on my computer with the sound of. Jordan Chiles had a good vault and stuck her landing. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The other three are going to have to step up in a huge way, and it looks like they did on bars! Keep that up!

ETA: Looking at the score differential though…. Not looking good.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 1
Just now, BlackberryJam said:

Reports have Simone out of team finals. I saw some interview with her talking about how every athlete competes with aches and pains. I wondered.

All that pressure. I still love her even if the team doesn't medal.

She did pull out after not doing an Amanar. Twitter sources say that Simone has been performing with broken toes.

• Love 1
(edited)

They confirmed it wasn’t injury related with Simone. It’s mental. She has so much pressure on her. ☹️

I don’t see USA doing it now (winning the Gold) but I hope the girls still put up a day they are proud of. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Yeah...I can't see that. Simone has never flaked out before. Broken toes sounds more realistic.

She was pulled once in 2013 for making a bunch of mental mistakes that almost led to her being injured so I can see it. My heart breaks for Simone, but I don't want her injured. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

John just said they got a report it is a mental issue not a physical one re Simone.

All the hype & pressure must be huge on her.  We still forget, she’s 24 years old.   I’m wondering if TPTB should have kept out of the limelight a bit more.

• Love 5

Anyone who calls it flaking out has obviously never had real anxiety issues. The physical response alone is crushing.

Ive thought for awhile now that Simone has looked so somber compared to rio. She’s obviously so over this. I’m just heartbroken for her.

• Love 22

Wow. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen with Simone. I feel terrible for her. But the pressure is real. Living up to being the GOAT is really unrealistic pressure. Everyone, I mean everyone from the media to the fans have been calling her GOAT and expecting her to win numerous golds at these games. It's unrealistic, and too much pressure.

I hope she will be okay. 

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

She was pulled once in 2013 for making a bunch of mental mistakes that almost led to her being injured so I can see it. 

Once 8 years ago.

But this young woman has been a rock for her team for years. If she can't go on, I respect her decision and don't question her choice.

But if they're out there saying it's mental to hide an injury, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Love 6
(edited)

from Nancy Armour Twitter:
“Per USAG: Simone has withdrawn from the team final competition due to a medical issue. She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions.”

mental or physical or both, may Simone recover fully and be well—regardless of future competitions. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6

Simone can still compete in the other events. But it looks like she has to get a medical clearance. Yes she will be replaced on every event by one of the reserves. It'll be a different 1 each time probably.

But if she decides to say FU to NBC and pack her bags and go home she's allowed. She's earned it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

She was pulled once in 2013 for making a bunch of mental mistakes that almost led to her being injured so I can see it

I can see this as being called "mental" rather than "injury."  Mental meaning not focusig properly, not mental as in anxiety, panic attack.    It is also the right thing to do.   With her moves, if she is off her focus, she could seriously injury herself.   Not broken toes injured, but major life altering injury.   I'm glad she has the confidence to say "not today folks."   

Hope she can be back for 2024.   If not, from what I hear, she has a great future in coaching.   

• Love 5