Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, tanyak said:

The problem with the nighttime coverage is they have to be done by 9:30 pm to get to the live swimming. With the morning coverage — and the fact that it’s streaming — they have time to show the whole event and focus on more than one country. I’ll be honest, even though it would’ve been nice to see other competitors tonight, I really wanted to see the Americans and Russians. They’ll just have enough time to wrap up the competition, maybe show some of the medal ceremony and get in an interview or two before they have to switch over to the pool.

Yes, that does seem to be the main issue. In the past, they would show some gymnastics and then go to swimming, back to gymnastics, etc. They didn’t try to pack everything into one segment. I wonder if they decided differently this year due to the swimming schedule or for another reason.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 minute ago, Jess14 said:

Yes, that does seem to be the main issue. In the past, they would show some gymnastics and then go to swimming, back to gymnastics, etc. They didn’t try to pack everything into one segment. I wonder if they decided differently this year due to the swimming schedule or for another reason.

Isn't swimming live this year? So that might be it. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hey NBC since you won’t shut up about American dominance what you should have done was talked about the storied history of the Soviet gymnastics program and how truly dominant they were and how how amazing it is that both the Russian men and women won team gold after such a long draught. The history is there - the story basically writes itself. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 12
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

NBC is trying to act like they predicted this would happen. The reality is they declared Simone unbeatable and likely contributed to the pressure that made her crack. To retroactively add a mistake reel and redo the commentary is beyond shitty, especially with events still to come.

Exactly!  I would have no problem if they aired live reaction (which was absolute confusion) & added a package showing how they & we all missed the signs leading up to the finals. That would have be a fair presentation. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I appreciate that the Russians at least try with floor exercise but because it cannot be said enough - these fucking wolf turns have got to go. What’s next? A gymnast incorporating a wolf turn before the run up to the Vault horse? A wolf turn a top the high bar? LMAO. I hate them hate them hate them. 

That wolf turn won her team the gold. 😁

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Where/when does this stream in the morning? There should be a chart somewhere. Lol 

(Like for the Individual Events on Thursday)

Try Tokyo Live on Peacock (free, no archaic cable subscription required). I watched that live feed this morning. It starts at 6 AM EST, but coverage also depends on when the event is happening in Tokyo time. (I'm at work the rest of the week and haven't looked at live times. Can't help with that. :))

• Love 1
Just now, ferjy said:

That wolf turn won her team the gold. 😁

LMAO. Hell, Melnikova at least incorporated hers with the music. Maybe we’ll get some wolf turns on the medal podium. I hope I get to hear Tchaikovsky tonight but that’s too much to ask for I suppose. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Where/when does this stream in the morning? There should be a chart somewhere. Lol 

It's at nbcolympics.com. If you have a cable login you can watch everything there, on the NBC Sports app or on Peacock's free service. Men's basketball is on Peacock's paid service.

• Useful 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

(Like for the Individual Events on Thursday)

NBC has the rights to broadcasting in the U.S. so on https://www.nbcolympics.com/. In Canada CBC has the rights, https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer. In the UK an it's on Eurosport https://www.eurosport.com/olympics/. If you're in any of those countries.

Edited by ferjy
corrected links
  • Useful 2
14 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

By and large these are not popular sports in the US outside of the Olympics. Americans care about track and swimming once every four years. Usain is one very rare non-American athlete that Americans tuned in for; I honestly cannot think of another (maybe the tennis players like Djokovic and Federer, but then, tennis is popular outside of the Olympics). Nobody cares about diving, even during the Olympics. Guess when Americans did care? When Greg Lougainis was diving, because he was an American. That may sound all MURICA but it's the reality of how we watch sports here. And this is why NBC packages its Olympic coverage this way.

Nope. I’m American and I disprove your theory. People love a good competition - Americans will absolutely watch events that don’t have Americans. 

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wait, they didn't show the medal ceremony?! The girls are interviewing with medals around their necks.

Yeah, what the... I wanted to hear Tchaikovsky.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I wish i could give all of y'all CBC.  Kyle Shewfelt explained while he doesn't know what happens, a lot of times gymnasts can not be in the right mindspace, and it's good to advocate for yourself. especially in a sport where you do gravity-defining sports (i don't know if this is re-recorded - so that could have been in the live thing this morning). Not sure if they're gonna show GB. They did show China. 

I am also going to say.. every Olympics the music sounds weirder (and quieter. like i can barely hear it). if they are going to be that quiet you might as well just yank it. 

Yeah - there they are showing GB now. (the commentary is the same from this morning). 

I appreciated Kyle's perspective too. CBC did show a little bit of everybody, including GB. In some ways, though, it's easier for CBC. Canada is trying really hard to improve our summer performance, but there are still a lot of events where we aren't in medal contention, so of course they're going to pay more attention to interesting stories from other countries.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, satrunrose said:

it's easier for CBC. Canada is trying really hard to improve our summer performance, but there are still a lot of events where we aren't in medal contention, so of course they're going to pay more attention to interesting stories from other countries.

yeah and no. 
In the Winter Olympics, they are still equal strokes for every folks. 

• Love 1
(edited)

53 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

So?  I don't mind.  I would do the same thing if I was directing the show.  Explain what happened.  Everyone watching isn't an insider.  Most viewers have had no idea exactly what happened. I loved hearing the team cheering everyone on... 

But that's not what they did, at least not IMO.  The switch is really clear - they lead up to her vault, without real explanation but instead false "prediction," then switch back to the original commentary where you can tell that they are somewhat stunned and confused by what was going on.  Yes, they can draw on past examples of the mental game and pressure gone wrong in the olympic games and draw conclusions about what happened, but they were quite finite in their mental game analysis, the "lost in the air" statements, the Simone blooper reel, the warmup predictions, etc.  Then they switch to "what's happening?" and "here is what usag says, a health issue" and "I texted the coach, it is not physical."  

NBC can do what they want, it just feels gross.  

Team USA was amazing.  After all the upheaval of the past years, after a pandemic -- they WON silver.  Go USA.  And I love the sportsmanship between all of the athletes.  I remember the Kim Zmeskal/Svetlana Boginskaya cold war, stretching their splits and deliberately ignoring each other in their own HBIC ways.  

Edited by BrindaWalsh
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, dovegrey said:

As of at least Rio 2016, NBC has viewed their Olympic coverage as somewhere between the ultimate reality TV show and a mini-series, carefully crafted to tell a specific story and their version of the journey of select athletes, rather than the results of those athletes...specifically because they think more women than men watch the Olympics and women don't care for sports: https://www.campaignlive.com/article/nbc-cmo-blasted-online-blaming-olympics-tape-delay-women/1404901

NBC is telling a story. They don't care about athletes, and they don't care about Simone. And they paid IOC just under $8 billion to tell their stories through 2032 (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/05/07/nbc-olympics-broadcast-rights-2032/8805989/). 

I'm not watching tonight. Nothing to see.

This approach to the NBC Olympic coverage goes much further back than Rio. I can remember articles about it at least 20 years ago. It’s also the reason for the intensity of the coverage of women’s gymnastics, especially leading up to the Olympics, in order grab female viewers who NBC figure will be more inclined to tune into women’s gymnastics than other sports (that’s why no attention is paid to men’s gymnastics). It’s also why they tend to focus on stories about female athletes, although there are exceptions like Michael Phelps.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

Try Tokyo Live on Peacock (free, no archaic cable subscription required). I watched that live feed this morning. It starts at 6 AM EST, but coverage also depends on when the event is happening in Tokyo time. (I'm at work the rest of the week and haven't looked at live times. Can't help with that. :))

24 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

It's at nbcolympics.com. If you have a cable login you can watch everything there, on the NBC Sports app or on Peacock's free service. Men's basketball is on Peacock's paid service.

Thanks to both of you for telling me - and thanks extra to @Minneapple for the tip about men's basketball :)

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Nope. I’m American and I disprove your theory. People love a good competition - Americans will absolutely watch events that don’t have Americans. 

Not in general though. There's a reason Dick Ebersol convinced the IOC to change swimming times to US primetime for the Beijing Olympics, because Michael Phelps was ratings gold. I bet NBC cried buckets when Sha'Carri Richardson was removed from the team; she was on the verge of being the next FloJo.

• Love 10

The internet has also changed NBCs approach to Primetime.  It was easier to get to the night broadcast unspoiled pre internet but now it's basically impossible unless you're completely unplugged, which is why they likely push for live swimming results.  Gymnastics used to be good about showing at least the top 5 or 6  countries but it's become really bad in the last 3 Olympics where its essentially the top two and maybe a few routines of the bronze team.  I think this forum proves that people want to see more than Americans.

• Love 12
39 minutes ago, Daisy said:

the only thing more than a wolf turn that I hate is that stupid squat flip on the bars. hate

Reading these posts have made me see the Wolf turns so differently.  Now every time I see one, I roll my eyes.  Especially in floor routines…come on. 

My least favorite gymnastics move is the weird lay on your back, put your legs in the air on the Floor.  They look like my four year old having a tantrum lol.  Give me some leaps ANYDAY!

• LOL 6
Just now, kittykat said:

I think this forum proves that people want to see more than Americans.

And you know, it was so frustrating watching the streaming when they weren't showing the Americans. Because they are among the best so we do want to see them!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Reading these posts have made me see the Wolf turns so differently.  Now every time I see one, I roll my eyes.  Especially in floor routines…come on. 

My least favorite gymnastics move is the weird lay on your back, put your legs in the air on the Floor.  They look like my four year old having a tantrum lol.  Give me some leaps ANYDAY!

My least favorite is the weird side ariel with bent legs on the beam (I don't know the official name).  We hear all about clean lines, straight legs, pointed toes, yet somehow we have this clunky thing that looks like a mistake.

Speaking of the beam, the Russian who fell, her mount and leap series was beautiful. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

My least favorite is the weird side ariel with bent legs on the beam (I don't know the official name).  We hear all about clean lines, straight legs, pointed toes, yet somehow we have this clunky thing that looks like a mistake.

I was just about to say the same thing! I don’t know what it’s called, but everyone lands that in a weird squat and with a loud thud. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Nope. Folks will just go back to Netflix.  I agree with all your comments, but I have no faith in the US viewing public.  They've shown their defiant ignorance in ways far beyond sports. 

I do wonder what the future of viewership looks like, with US network broadcast ratings declining across the board, cable subscriptions significantly declining, and viewers largely transitioning to streaming services. In 3 years, what does this look like for 2024? 

I specifically sought out gymnastics coverage this morning but will probably not keep watching Peacock regularly (it’s awful…), and I am specifically tuning into NBC network TV when I’m home and live events are on. I’d otherwise have something on Hulu or Netflix for background noise. If NBC (and even CBC and BBC, I’d guess?) doesn’t pivot away from network and relying on cable subscriptions for full free access by 2028 certainly, and if they don’t significantly improve and mainstream Peacock (like Netflix), I agree US Olympics viewership will become niche fans and whatever viewers NBC can grab with their superathlete goingforgoldbait advertised on other platforms. 

I’d say now is the time to try to get kids super invested in the Olympics and then those kids will grow into adults who keep watching. I grew up on Strug and Moceanu, while watching all the “boring” sports in between because it was all that was on…but here I am, decades later, wholly invested in the Olympics (mostly gymnastics but with a respect for all of it). I think a lot of people would have similar reasons for watching but the US coverage seems to get more disappointing and watered down each year. Anyway. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

I wish i could give all of y'all CBC.  Kyle Shewfelt explained while he doesn't know what happens, a lot of times gymnasts can not be in the right mindspace, and it's good to advocate for yourself.

I heard another person explain it this way too, and that she was risking a catastrophic injury if she continued on and was not mentally focused.  We surely didn't want to see that happen.  I'm disappointed for her, not in her.  I'm sure she's heartbroken.  I hope that she can get the help she needs in order to feel confident in her gymnastics once again.

FWIW, I've lost interest in the Olympics this time.  Most people I talk to aren't watching it either.  I recorded it tonight because I wanted to see what happened with Simone.  I probably won't bother with anything else.   

Congrats on the silver medal, ladies!  I can't imagine what it did to their psyche in having to shift gears so quickly.  Good job, and good luck with the individual all-around competition!

• Love 6

Ok so this is something that shocked me: Simone says that this is the first time her parents haven't traveled with her to a competition. Simone is 24 years old and this is the FIRST time? 

I think she's probably going through some things, and we won't really know the story until she tells us, and it's okay if she never tells us. But it seems as if gymnasts truly have a lot of helicopter parents and I could see it being overwhelming not having your parents with you for the first time.

Another thing to remember is that she lives in TX, so trips to Marta's ranch probably were not as time-consuming for her as for other gymnasts. It does sound like a perfect storm of events contributed to her withdrawal.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

I think a lot of people would have similar reasons for watching but the US coverage seems to get more disappointing and watered down each year. Anyway. 

A lot of us don't want to watch athletes who aren't proud to represent their country.  We don't want to see political statements made during the medals ceremony.  Most people I talk to simply don't care about it anymore.  That's sad because it used to be a huge deal when I was growing up.   There's just something about this one that didn't really interest me, other than the gymnastics.  I just read the recap of each day's events in the news, and if there's a performance I want to see, I'll just wait and see it once it's posted YouTube. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

We still have cable mainly because we watch so many sports year around, and cable is just easiest. Just turn on the TV and there it is. This weekend, NBC showed a variety of sports. Now it was recorded, but there is still a lot of stuff to watch: swimming heats, triathlon, cycling, etc. It was a lot of random stuff. I just turned the TV on and had it on as background noise, occasionally popping my head in to see what was happening. Again, it was just easy. But I do know that a lot of people who have cut the cord are having a really hard time finding coverage to watch. I have both Peacock and the NBC sports app, and they are both horrible. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok so this is something that shocked me: Simone says that this is the first time her parents haven't traveled with her to a competition. Simone is 24 years old and this is the FIRST time? 

She previously said that it was different without all of the spectators there.  She feeds off of their energy.  It looked like there were quite a few in the arena - which surprised me.  I didn't think there would be anybody in the stands. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think she's probably going through some things, and we won't really know the story until she tells us, and it's okay if she never tells us. But it seems as if gymnasts truly have a lot of helicopter parents and I could see it being overwhelming not having your parents with you for the first time.

Another thing to remember is that she lives in TX, so trips to Marta's ranch probably were not as time-consuming for her as for other gymnasts. It does sound like a perfect storm of events contributed to her withdrawal.

Simone's parents are wealthy. I read a feature on her that it wasn't until this year she went on vacation with her boyfriend it was the first time she went on a vacation without her parents. The vacation was only without her parents/family because her mom Nellie tested positive for COVID.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Yeah, they mention this in SImone vs. Herself. She says she has no idea how she’ll react and I didn’t think too much of it but its clear now she wasn’t saying it for dramatic effect.

One thing that occurred to me today as well was she now has kind of a life outside of gymnastics and a boyfriend who she seems really happy with. She mentioned she realizes that there’s other things outside of gymnastics. It definitely was not that way in 2016. I think realizing what you have to lose should something catastrophic happen could really cause some fear and doubt to creep in. She has said something along of the lines of some of the things she does are scaring her a bit now. That obviously never used to happen.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

Wow. Well that was a very eventful team final! I think most people have covered the situation with Simone already, she made the right decision to protect her health and while there seems to be a minority of social media trolls, I'm actually impressed that her teammates, coaches, peers and (most) mainstream media have been very supportive of her choice to prioritise her mental health. We have come a long way from when Gabby Douglas was dragged through the mud in Rio and then basically abandoned to cope on her own. She spoke quite recently (when Osaka pulled out of the French) about the huge mental toll that took on her at the time and how she still struggles today. I hope that the support continues.

Really happy for Russia, they were the best team across both days and their excitement and emotion at winning was very cute. This has been a long time coming for them and I hope they enjoy the moment. Listunova had a fabulous day and was able to really really channel her disappointment at missing the AA final, so pleased for her.

Stunned that GB got third but I adore the Gadirova twins and it was heartwarming to see Alice do so well after seeing her sobbing after qualifications. 

Did not see the China disaster coming, they can be inconsistent but not normally to this level. I hope some of them can get redemption in the event finals (please beam gods!).

• Love 7

On a lighter note I watched the mens' team final on the apparatus feed. And I saw after a great vault Sam Mikulak going up to hug Artur. It was so cute the way he did it, so gingerly, like "I want to give you a hug but I'm afraid to snap your non-existent Achilles again ..."

• LOL 11
54 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Michael Phelps seemed to get a little emotional when asked about Simone. 

These athletes need an advocate like Michael Phelps (and Simone).

The Weight of Gold is a great documentary on past athletes 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

The Weight of Gold is a great documentary on past athletes 

Yes it is.  Truly eye-opening.  There is just not enough focus on these individuals and their mental health when the Olympics are over.  

• Love 3

As a casual viewer/fan of gymnastics (I only watch the big meets) this has been the most frustrating thing. Not just the comments about her not being a true champion but the people who are gleefully excited that she's not at her best and want to blame her for this situation because she had the colossal nerve to acknowledge her GOAT status. 

I feel like sports will end up being the last sphere of public life where you can play off being a complete asshole to a woman as just 'holding them to a high standard' or some BS.

(Obviously, women are criticized in every sphere of public life and obviously there are people who see through the misogynistic commentary of how gleeful people are in tearing female athletes apart. But I do think that unlike acting or politics or business, there's something about sports that increases the dehumanization... the way you can talk about "athletes" and forget that you are watching people and not entertaining robots trying to jump the highest, swim the fastest, etc.)

• Love 11
(edited)
6 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I feel like sports will end up being the last sphere of public life where you can play off being a complete asshole to a woman as just 'holding them to a high standard' or some BS.

(Obviously, women are criticized in every sphere of public life and obviously there are people who see through the misogynistic commentary of how gleeful people are in tearing female athletes apart. But I do think that unlike acting or politics or business, there's something about sports that increases the dehumanization... the way you can talk about "athletes" and forget that you are watching people and not entertaining robots trying to jump the highest, swim the fastest, etc.)

This is really tricky but ...

the US has a particularly awful history of viewing black athletes more like prized racehorses than actual people. If you read the autobiographies of people like Elgin Baylor in the 1950s he was being cheered to the rafters during games and then he couldn't stay at the same hotel or eat at the same restaurants as his teammates. We are not there anymore (thank god) but there still is this idea that black athletes are superhumanly athletic and so when they have an off day there's this glee at tearing them apart. Also when they express themselves outside of sports people are shocked and appalled. 

I do see a lot of empathy for Simone on SM by former gymnasts AND regular folks, but there are a lot of jerks as well. 

Thankfully Simone's teammates, gymnasts from other countries, are all overwhelmingly sympathetic. 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 24
11 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Team USA press conference

So an athlete can quit because they feel they're not doing well? I didn't realize that was allowed.

What does this have to do the with the gymnastics competition? Did I mistake folks taking a knee with wolf turns or something? LMAO. There are no words

A gymnast from Costa Rica took a knee at the very end of her routine, it was her final pose. I think it was for like 2 seconds & I doubt it was even shown on tv. 

I've always loved the Olympics and still do. I'm watching some NBC broadcast coverage because I have cable and it's on and I can watch here and there while doing other things. For women's gymnastics I have been watching the reply on the NBC Sports App instead. I like to see a lot more than they show on tv. Early evening I watched the team final which was just over 2 hours. I loved seeing all the athletes and the competition for the bronze was great. I also prefer the commentators over the ones at night. Not a Tim fan at all. I plan to watch the AA and the event finals the same way.

• Love 3

The Russian girls showed lovely form, great bar work, and they deserved their win. 

Congratulations Team USA for a well deserved silver medal.  I don't even want to think about the barrage of press because they LOST GOLD! 

Bu-buh-but... American exceptionalism! We DESERVED it! It was OURS! /s 🙄

People need to CALM DOWN sometimes. Especially in the media. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5