Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Dani said:

Are you sure? Why do they even list reserve spots if it doesn’t apply in most instances. 

I don't know what the correct answer is, but it would still apply in most instances. Jade would only get the spot if two specific gymnasts withdraw. 

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Dani said:

Are you sure? Why do they even list reserve spots if it doesn’t apply in most instances. 

Because Jade got 2pc'ed out of the AA.

ETA: NBC now "helpfully" replaying all of Simone's mistakes in Olympic Trials and Quals.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • LOL 2
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

ETA: NBC now "helpfully" replaying all of Simone's mistakes in Olympic Trials and Quals.

How is that supposed to be helpful for Simone's mental state? 

Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

I think NBC is trying to put a context to the idea of Simone's sudden withdrawal.  

I wish she could have done easier moves?? 

13 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I really hope she just blocks it all out and doesn’t watch.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I think NBC is trying to put a context to the idea of Simone's sudden withdrawal.  

I wish she could have done easier moves?? 

It's been so long since she's competed anything but the Cheng and Amanar that she probably doesn't have the muscle memory for "easier" vaults.

• Love 1

Wtf NBC?

Did they go back and re-record the commentary?  That montage of her recent slips, Tim and his "lost in tbe air" comment.

It is like in their effort to "explain," they are rooting for her to fail.

She looks devastated.  

• Love 8
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

NBC is such a fucking joke. I’ve always hated their coverage and I still do. I’m guessing tonight they’ll only show the Americans and maybe the ROC. Honestly, I’m hearing so many different things about Simone not finishing the final that I don’t know what’s going on. If she’s been having these issues since National and Trails, why not allow someone else the opportunity to participate? I’m glad she put her and health and well-being first in the moment but if she’s been having these doubts and struggling during the lead up to the games - I wish she would have stepped down sooner.

There were plenty of great gymnasts who would love represent the US at the Olympics and who were in a better head space and capable of doing so. 

I have nothing but kudos for Jordan Chiles though who stepped up last minute to compete on apparatuses she wasn’t slated to participate in. She’s a rockstar. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 7
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I don't know what the correct answer is, but it would still apply in most instances. Jade would only get the spot if two specific gymnasts withdraw. 

Sure if it is an American who is out but the large number of the all-around qualifiers have a team mate who missed out because of the 2 per rule. So the first reserve wouldn’t apply in any of those situations. 

40 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I’ve been trying to find the rules to reference but I’m having no luck. 

Me, too. I can’t find anything official. 

35 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I am aware. My question is why the first reserve is Lieke. That makes me wonder if there was a rule change at some point after the Russians manipulated the rules. There seems to be some confusion. 

20 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Wtf NBC?

Did they go back and re-record the commentary?  That montage of her recent slips, Tim and his "lost in tbe air" comment.

That was probably recorded after it was finished. As far as I know, Tim and the others didn’t do live commentary this morning. They’re full of shit. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

The nighttime commentary is very disingenuous. Acting like they saw this breakdown coming from months away, after hyping her up and calling the gold a lock with Simone on the team. 

They re-recorded.  I'm convinced.  And they switched to their original commentary just a minute ago where they are expressing confusion over rules, will she stay on the floor, etc.

Edited by BrindaWalsh
  • Love 7

The commentary has absolutely been re-edited. Fuck NBC for pushing this, "Well, she was iffy all along!" narrative. You're the ones who told us not to worry during the U.S. Championships and Trials because "it's Simone Biles!" @Jenniferbug is right. The commentary is entirely disingenuous. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

They re-recorded.  I'm convinced.  And they switched to their original commentary just a minute ago where they are expressing confusion over rules, will she stay on the floor, etc.

I’m inclined to agree. That commentary was too on the nose. There really was no need for that.

• Love 1

I have the tv on while watching live rowing on my laptop, so I didn't fully see Simone's vault but I did look up in time to see a replay where it seemed that her eyes looked scared when she started to land. It broke my heart.

• Love 2
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Not doing themselves any favours. They're making it look like she's quitting because she's not doing well.

Edited by ferjy

As of at least Rio 2016, NBC has viewed their Olympic coverage as somewhere between the ultimate reality TV show and a mini-series, carefully crafted to tell a specific story and their version of the journey of select athletes, rather than the results of those athletes...specifically because they think more women than men watch the Olympics and women don't care for sports: https://www.campaignlive.com/article/nbc-cmo-blasted-online-blaming-olympics-tape-delay-women/1404901

NBC is telling a story. They don't care about athletes, and they don't care about Simone. And they paid IOC just under $8 billion to tell their stories through 2032 (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/05/07/nbc-olympics-broadcast-rights-2032/8805989/). 

I'm not watching tonight. Nothing to see.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Wtf NBC?

It is like in their effort to "explain," they are rooting for her to fail.

She looks devastated.  

The “lost in the air” comment definitely was disingenuous, but even in real time, I thought Simone’s warmup amanar looked very off, and her teammates also realized it because they asked her if she was ok. So, I don’t think that it’s totally far-fetched that Tim and Nastia would also pick up on the fact that something was wrong. Although, I don’t think he used the “lost” language in real time.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

As of at least Rio 2016, NBC has viewed their Olympic coverage as somewhere between the ultimate reality TV show and a mini-series, carefully crafted to tell a specific story and their version of the journey of select athletes, rather than the results of those athletes...specifically because they think more women than men watch the Olympics and women don't care for sports: https://www.campaignlive.com/article/nbc-cmo-blasted-online-blaming-olympics-tape-delay-women/1404901

NBC is telling a story. They don't care about athletes, and they don't care about Simone. And they paid IOC just under $8 billion to tell their stories through 2032 (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/05/07/nbc-olympics-broadcast-rights-2032/8805989/). 

That is so bull if that's why they do the stuff they do. I've been an Olympic junky since I was 12 years old and I wanna watch EVERYTHING. I do like how NBC used to do their Fluffy Pieces so i can know the athlete better (because i mean, when Canada isn't in an event I'll be team this person/country, whatever). 

If they are watching the Olympics they care for sport you idiots. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Jess14 said:

The “lost in the air” comment definitely was disingenuous, but even in real time, I thought Simone’s warmup amanar looked very off, and her teammates also realized it because they asked her if she was ok. So, I don’t think that it’s totally far-fetched that Tim and Nastia would also pick up on the fact that something was wrong. Although, I don’t think he used the “lost” language in real time.

There was a photo of the reaction from all Grace, Jordan and Suni watching the vault and they were all shocked. 

• Love 3

Honestly, i think that's mostly cutting the cord on NBC for me. No Bob Costas, No Olympic Montages. No Me. (okay to be fair I'll watch the end for the END Montage, but if it's not there then I'm quitting you NBC). 

Just now, dovegrey said:

Your analysis is correct.  But the ratings back them up... when America is scheduled to win,  ratings inch up.  Michael Phelps' record-breaking streak proves them right.  And you have to admit, our country is in an "America First" mood.  

AT THE SAME TIME,  I am watching the live feeds on nbcolympics.com and they are wonderful.  John and Bridget do a good job on the international feed.  They are still up, so folks with cable can still see them!  

If they are watching the Olympics they care for sport you idiots. 

I just texted my cousin and asked if he is watching the Olympics.  He replied, "Of course. Nothing else is on."  

Stats back up NBC:  folks who don't care about sports are watching to SEE AMERICA WIN. 

Those who love particular sports are catching them on the feeds or NBCSN etc.

2 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I just texted my cousin and asked if he is watching the Olympics.  He replied, "Of course. Nothing else is on."  

Stats back up NBC:  folks who don't care about sports are watching to SEE AMERICA WIN. 

Well you wanna see your country win. But at the same time, you can still not be reality teevee about it. CBC has a Canadian focus but they also focus on a lot of other athletes and take the time to explain what we're seeing. Two flies, one swat as they say. 

4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

A note of positivity: SUNI'S BARS ARE AMAZING! I love it!!!

they were gorgeous. i loved that set. 

• Love 6
(edited)
Just now, Daisy said:

ell you wanna see your country win. But at the same time, you can still not be reality teevee about it. CBC has a Canadian focus but they also focus on a lot of other athletes and take the time to explain what we're seeing. Two flies, one swat as they say. 

Those were the good ol' days of the Olympics with Jim McKay and the "Thrill of Victory, Agony of Defeat" shows and CBS' incredible Lillehammer Olympics coverage, which had humor (David Letterman's mother!), drama (Nancy. Tonya. Need I say more?), heart (Dan Janssen FINALLY winning) .... 

NBC's coverage seems cold.  But at least we see everything with its feeds... 

Edited by AuntieDiane6
Added my comments!
  • Love 5
(edited)

Not sure if anyone else here is old enough to remember a magazine called Gymnastics World…It was out in the late 70s through I guess early 80s. Anyway, for a while, they had an ongoing fictional series about a girl named Dinah who becomes the first British gymnast to medal in the Olympics. I probably still have some copies of the magazine around somewhere. Anyway, I totally thought of that when Great Britain medaled today. Anyone else out there remember this?

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 1

I get an American broadcast focusing on American athletes. I just hate that they don’t provide an accurate picture of the competition. The number of times I’ve watched an event thinking the Americans had a realistic chance 🙄

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Your analysis is correct.  But the ratings back them up... when America is scheduled to win,  ratings inch up.  Michael Phelps' record-breaking streak proves them right.  And you have to admit, our country is in an "America First" mood.  

AT THE SAME TIME,  I am watching the live feeds on nbcolympics.com and they are wonderful.  John and Bridget do a good job on the international feed.  They are still up, so folks with cable can still see them!  

I know it is.

Without getting political, there is probably some reciprocal effect going on there with the America First stuff and how media portrays, or doesn't portray, people from other countries as well as the idea of worldwide unity. Unity is what the Olympic Games signifies to me. It doesn't have to mean that US athletes aren't highlighted or advertised, as others have said. On that note...

Phelps was a once-in-a-generation phenomena whose anticipated success was incredibly, incredibly hyped. His success and the success of how NBC hyped him in 2008 ushered in this era of insurmountable emphases on big name US superathletes with NBC-formulated stories. It's a gamble; it paid off with Phelps, not so much with Biles. Or Ledecky (oh no a silver).

I really enjoyed John and Bridget this morning. That live coverage was decent in terms of commentating as well as the range of athletes they showed. It's still a shame that the Peacock feed I saw skipped Jordan's bar routine, even as John and Bridget talked about how important it was to the team success.

8 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

It sounds like your cousin tuned in because it's summer and nothing else is on. I've got RHONY on Hulu right now, because I cancelled cable years ago.

I watch a ton of Olympic sports that I wouldn't usually watch, because it's the Olympics. Rowing, cycling, track/field, basketball, beach volleyball, archery... I don't care about those sports. I'd never watch that stuff on a regular Sunday, but on an Olympic Sunday? Hell yeah! And, uh, it's no fun to watch Merica win when you have no idea who they're winning against... Thanks, NBC Primetime.

• Love 16
(edited)

NBC is legit only showing US and ROC in their primetime Olympic coverage. Maybe I’m mistaken but I could have sworn that their were eight teams competing in the final. Did the other six just decide not to show up? Hmmm.

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 minute ago, ShellsandCheese said:

NBC is legit only showing US and ROC in their primetime Olympic coverage. Is it just me or aren’t there like six other countries competing? 

They aren't even showing GB, and they won a medal!

ETA: It was nice watching the feed this morning. I got to see Melanie De Jesus Dos Santos from France. She's possibly my favorite non-USA gymnast. It's too bad NBC primetime forgot that the entire continent of Europe exists.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 12

I don't get this whole "we only want to see Americans win" stuff. In track and field did we tune out Usain Bolt? For diving do we not watch because of Chinese excellence? Do we only watch swimming for Michael Phelps? Or do we also follow the awesome Aussie/US rivalry and excellent swimmers from around the world? I know I followed Katinka Hosszu and her awful ex-husband and am so happy she's found a nice guy and an adorable husky.

Also, I'm a dance critic and I often review stuff so people are aware. People have to sometimes be forced to level up.

• Love 12
Just now, BitterApple said:

NBC is trying to act like they predicted this would happen. The reality is they declared Simone unbeatable and likely contributed to the pressure that made her crack. To retroactively add a mistake reel and redo the commentary is beyond shitty, especially with events still to come.

So?  I don't mind.  I would do the same thing if I was directing the show.  Explain what happened.  Everyone watching isn't an insider.  Most viewers have had no idea exactly what happened. I loved hearing the team cheering everyone on... 

1 minute ago, PepSinger said:

They aren't even showing GB, and they won a medal!

I wish i could give all of y'all CBC.  Kyle Shewfelt explained while he doesn't know what happens, a lot of times gymnasts can not be in the right mindspace, and it's good to advocate for yourself. especially in a sport where you do gravity-defining sports (i don't know if this is re-recorded - so that could have been in the live thing this morning). Not sure if they're gonna show GB. They did show China. 

I am also going to say.. every Olympics the music sounds weirder (and quieter. like i can barely hear it). if they are going to be that quiet you might as well just yank it. 

Yeah - there they are showing GB now. (the commentary is the same from this morning). 

• Love 4
Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

Also, I'm a dance critic and I often review stuff so people are aware. People have to sometimes be forced to level up.

Nope. Folks will just go back to Netflix.  I agree with all your comments, but I have no faith in the US viewing public.  They've shown their defiant ignorance in ways far beyond sports. 

• Love 1

I appreciate that the Russians at least try with floor exercise but because it cannot be said enough - these fucking wolf turns have got to go. What’s next? A gymnast incorporating a wolf turn before the run up to the Vault horse? A wolf turn a top the high bar? LMAO. I hate them hate them hate them. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
(edited)

The problem with the nighttime coverage is they have to be done by 9:30 pm to get to the live swimming. With the morning coverage — and the fact that it’s streaming — they have time to show the whole event and focus on more than one country. I’ll be honest, even though it would’ve been nice to see other competitors tonight, I really wanted to see the Americans and Russians. They’ll just have enough time to wrap up the competition, maybe show some of the medal ceremony and get in an interview or two before they have to switch over to the pool.

in previous games, I always thought they started primetime coverage at 7:30 PM ET. It seems like that would help with trying to pack things in before they get to the live coverage they have.

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, tanyak said:

The problem with the nighttime coverage is they have to be done by 9:30 pm to get to the live swimming. With the morning coverage — and the fact that it’s streaming — they have time to show the whole event and focus on more than one country. I’ll be honest, even though it would’ve been nice to see other competitors tonight, I really wanted to see the Americans and Russians. They’ll just have enough time to wrap up the competition, maybe show some of the medal ceremony and get in an interview or two before they have to switch over to the pool.

Where/when does this stream in the morning? There should be a chart somewhere. Lol 

(Like for the Individual Events on Thursday)

Edited by LexieLily

1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I don't get this whole "we only want to see Americans win" stuff. In track and field did we tune out Usain Bolt? For diving do we not watch because of Chinese excellence? Do we only watch swimming for Michael Phelps?

By and large these are not popular sports in the US outside of the Olympics. Americans care about track and swimming once every four years. Usain is one very rare non-American athlete that Americans tuned in for; I honestly cannot think of another (maybe the tennis players like Djokovic and Federer, but then, tennis is popular outside of the Olympics). Nobody cares about diving, even during the Olympics. Guess when Americans did care? When Greg Lougainis was diving, because he was an American. That may sound all MURICA but it's the reality of how we watch sports here. And this is why NBC packages its Olympic coverage this way.

• Love 3