Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: The Acorn

According to closed caption, he said "Someplace cool, like Seattle or Bam..." and then they cut him off. I haven't figured out where "Bam..." is? I can't think of any place cool that starts with "Bam."

It's Banff--in Alberta, Canada. I went there to paint en plein air in the 1970s when it was pristine Lake Louise surrounded by mountains--and mosquitos. People ski there in the winter. It was a little touristy then, don't know now.

It just occurred to me that even though earless guy wasn't as crass as Ray was when Ray made his racist comment about only white people in Alaska, both Seattle and Banff are pretty white and and have cool/cold climates--so Earless was likely thinking along the same lines.

ETA: It would be funny to see Ray have a pooping-his-pants look if he makes it to Alaska and the first folks he sees are brown-complected, indigenous young thugs.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

In addition to all the other comments above about how suspicicious the brother's actions are (choking, stealing picture), Hank thinks he's up to no good, which has to count for something.

I agree that he's extremely suspicious. But how does the choking make him creepy? Sonya's the one who requested it.

I think somebody non-creepy would not have gone along with Sonya's request, recognizing it as deeply fucked up. I'm not commenting on auto-eroticism in general, but Sonya's sister was raped and strangled. She was quite clearly trying to put herself in her sister's position at that moment, like it was the only way she could think of to keep a tie to her now that Dobbs is dead, and that is deeply fucked up. And the guy she is asking this of, the guy she wants to simulate the murder, is the rapist/killer's brother to boot, which for him makes the role-playing especially loaded to take part in. I think a normal person would have been completely turned off and jumped up all WTF? instead of going along. "Why yes, I would love to role-play my brother's rape and murder of another woman with her sister."

I was sort of expecting Lyle Lovett to tell Charlotte that Fausto would be satisfied with just killing Ray, and I had no doubt at all Charlotte would be like, "I'll shoot him myself right now." Ray really doesn't know Charlotte, does he? I burst out laughing when he said something about how they'd eventually upgrade to a big trailer. Not like Charlotte was onboard with the picture he'd been painting up to then, but he really lost her at that point. Hee.

• Love 3

Do we know Fausto's background? He might qualify as a monster without a background to warrant it.

If  I remember well, Fausto and Marco know eachother for years, they had a conversation in season 1 and Fausto pointed Marco choose to be a cop instead. I guess at one point they gonna tell us Fausto's story. Maybe a day in the life of Fausto?

He doesnt believe he is a monster, he said himself before he killed someone. He just had to do it, business-wise!

But when someone like Eleanor is afraid of you, mr Galvan, then you are very high in the monsters scale.

• Love 1

I always assumed that Marco and Fausto grew up together in the mean streets of Juarez. One of them chose a life of crime and one of them chose the law. Like some cheesy ABC crime drama, only with better writing and more naughty parts.

• Love 2

According to closed caption, he said "Someplace cool, like Seattle or Bam..." and then they cut him off. I haven't figured out where "Bam..." is? I can't think of any place cool that starts with "Bam."

He said "Banff" as in Banff National Park, about 70mi from Calgary, Alberta.

I think somebody non-creepy would not have gone along with Sonya's request, recognizing it as deeply fucked up. I'm not commenting on auto-eroticism in general, but Sonya's sister was raped and strangled. She was quite clearly trying to put herself in her sister's position at that moment, like it was the only way she could think of to keep a tie to her now that Dobbs is dead, and that is deeply fucked up. And the guy she is asking this of, the guy she wants to simulate the murder, is the rapist/killer's brother to boot, which for him makes the role-playing especially loaded to take part in. I think a normal person would have been completely turned off and jumped up all WTF? instead of going along. "Why yes, I would love to role-play my brother's rape and murder of another woman with her sister."

There's a decent number of people out there who are into being choked, just because they like it. If I were in Jack's position, I'm not sure it would immediately occur to me that Sonya was re-enacting her sister's death.  In the middle of sex, I wouldn't be thinking about the details of her sister's murder at all.

The connection between the choking and her sister is obvious to us, as viewers, because we've seen her do it before, and we've had time to make that connection. The first time I saw Sonya strangling herself, I just thought, WTF?

Were I in Jack's position, I'd probably be like a deer in the headlights. And it wouldn't occur to me until later that she might be re-enacting her sister's death.

• Love 1

Kidding, but it would be hilarious if Fausto, Eleanor,.and the Cartel, were all just one big front for the vampire organization.

Reminds me how that bar in From Dusk Till Dawn was a front for ancient Mexican (Aztec) vampires.  If this were by Ryan Murphy JJ Abrahms or Quinten Tarontino we'd soooo be going there.

I'm with bluebunny in the -Fausto is keeping Eleanor's rapist in a cage- camp.  I also think that her rape/molestation was a particularly harsh act of betrayal i.e. that she wasn't raped/molested by a stranger.  I bet it turns out to be her father or the Elder of her church. (Heck maybe both)  It would explain why she is sooooo out there in her dicotomy of -Sex is Bad and those who want sex must die vs I chop people up with machetes no problem.  I know the hand looked like a claw but my guess is that whoever that is was either maimed or burned by Eleanore or Fausto on Eleanore's behalf and now they keep him in pain, caged, and treated like an animal.  If she just kills him his suffering is over.  This way his agony is endless.  I'm not going to spoil myself.  I'll wait till it airs to find out if I'm right. 

Meantime Franka Potente who I only know from Copper is doing a bang up job of being super scary but really interesting at the same time.  I'm not surprised they extended her run.  I thought the actor who played the bank manager who blew his brains out would have lasted longer because he was good as the Headhunter guy in Cold Case and other things.  He can be creepy too. 

I've seen evidence of it before but Sonya's recent behavior has really convinced me that she is not just Asperger's but deeply disturbed in a sad sad way.  Trying to connect with your dead sister by re enacting her death sexually is beyond wrong.  It is toxic for her.  I'd feel afraid for the brother getting wrapped up in her crazy except like a lot of you I'm convinced he was in on the murder of the sister.  It may be he was wholly responsible and the brother was innocent or he was a co conspirator.  No way is he innocent.  So when something bad inevitably happens to him I''m not going to sweat it. 

Speaking of Franka Potente...this show is beginning to remind me that in Copper most if not all the main characters by the end including Franka's and the "good" guy had killed someone and gotten away with it.  Hank we know shot (and now killed since he died eventually)  the sister's alleged rapist killer and even if he was guilty (which right now we don't know he was) Hank did it in an illegal way.  Ray and Charlotte killed the smuggler old lady and I bet even if they go down won't go down for THAT crime.  Marco is heading toward killing someone illegally,   I think Sonya will wind up killing the brother.

Agree that prosecutor guy is probably working for Galvan too and is just smoking out Eva for the cops/cartel.  If he isn't he's canon fodder. No way this show solves the corruption in Jaurez and they have a happy ending.

Edited by MDKNIGHT
even if he was guilty (which right now we don't know he was)

Was there ever doubt that Sonya's sister was raped and murdered by Jim Dobbs? Or am I misreading the quoted phrase?

No way this show solves the corruption in Jaurez and they have a happy ending

It's going to take a lot more than one prosecutor to clean up the corruption in Juarez. It's so much more than just the local cops. I don't think that guy has any illusions about that. He's naive, but he's not that naive.

Edited by dubbel zout

Was there ever doubt that Sonya's sister was raped and murdered by Jim Dobbs?

Well IIRC they never gave all that many details about what evidence they had against Jim Dobbs.  We know that Hank thought he was guilty but that doesn't mean he was.  Add to that that the brother is acting squirrely and guilty and it may be that Jim wasn't guilty at all and was covering for his brother.  Maybe the evidence that Hank had was DNA evidence of Jim's hair on the body as an example but Jim may have just helped his brother get rid of the body or whatever.  We don't know if the evidence was solid or Hank just got too desperate for an answer that he accepted shaky evidence.  Heck for all we know the brother could have out and out framed Jim. This is the show that had a guy substitute another dead person to fake his own death and then launch a Machiaveliian plot against Marco.  We have no way of knowing YET what actually happened when Sonya's sister died. 

About the corruption...the thing  is it is SO bad that I honestly can't fathom that the prosecutor is going to even make a dent in it and I think it is more likely that he and Eva will be killed and maybe Marco if they don't plan another season.  Also the prosecutor may be on the side of the cartel or even a rival cartel.  He might just want one set of crooks out to make room for crooks HE trusts.  I think once things reach a certain extreme any improvement seems highly unlikely. 

Edited by MDKNIGHT
  • Love 1

Ray and Charlotte killed the smuggler old lady and I bet even if they go down won't go down for THAT crime.

Using the expression "go down" twice in that sentence gave me nightmarish flashbacks to that scene between her and Ray last season ...