Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: The Buck

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I'm astonished so many of them were able to capture their bear encounters. And the guy captured himself shooting at the buck. They did surprisingly well a lot of the time. 

It must be so frustrating for them though to spend weeks constantly shooting what they hoped was instructive or entertaining footage only to have the vast majority of it end up being discarded. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 2

I think Matt's survival school business will be fine. He'll just use his experience to add to the curriculum. The last day of his course will be devoted to "Defensiveness and Unwarranted Aggression: Interacting with Your Spouse After Phoning for a Pickup Only 48 Hours Into Your Six Week Survival Experience."

• LOL 9

We got home from vacation last night and so I was able to watch the episode. 

Matt was super whiney. He was more worried about his reputation then missing his family. I don’t think too many people judge folks who tap in week three, especially this season with all the bears and other issues. He obviously thought that he would go a lot farther then he did and felt like he failed. His angst at his own poor performance was used to lash out at the viewers in advance. It was annoying and whiny.

Michelle made a good call. You could see she was getting thinner and thinner. I suspect we didn't see much of her because she wasn’t finding much and the footage just wasn’t that interesting. I liked her fire shelter but it was never really used because she didn’t find any food. 

Biko was fine last night. His showmanship is diminishing and he is more focused on the actual task at hand.  I enjoyed him more last night. He has a good perspective and was fun to watch. 

Clay could be very well set for advancing in this game. His shelter really is amazing and I suspect that he gets a deer.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I liked her fire shelter but it was never really used because she didn’t find any food. 

Oh, that was her fire shelter? I thought it was her main shelter. Okay, that clears up a lot of my questions about her. 

• Love 1

She said that she built that as a place to eat near the fire because of the bears. I think it was facing the fire pit or might have even been around the fire pit, I wasn’t watching that closely, but that it was meant to be a warmer location for cooking and eating that was away from where she was sleeping.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 7/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, ProfCrash said:

I don’t think too many people judge folks who tap in week three, especially this season with all the bears and other issues. He obviously thought that he would go a lot farther then he did and felt like he failed.

I'm wondering if he's thinking about guys like Rowland - who was tough as nails - so his little rant was to hide his anger/embarrassment for the ones who went the distance on Alone.  As I've said before, I wouldn't make it 2 days out there, so I have no room to criticize - unless someone does something really dumb that deserves criticism!  

• Love 2

I deer has almost no fat. There's fat in the blood, brain and marrow, and that's about it. A 130 lb deer is less than 50,000 calories. A big porcupine can be a LOT more food for you, since it can be 35 lbs and 50% calories.  High fat foods like porcupine can be mixed 50/50 with diced, boiled and fried cambium, which offers 600 calories per lb. Fat has twice as many calories as protein or carbs. So a porky can be 50,000 calories and you can mix in another 50,000 calories of cambium. So even a smaller porcupine is worth more to you than a big deer, if you know anything

With a debris/ice, solid as a rock, air tight shelter, made in 2 days, you can be completely safe from animals, and save 3 weeks of time and calories. with those 3 weeks, you can make the pontoon outrigger raft, the 2000 sq ft of netting, the treblehook trotlines and do a lot of fishing.  So they are just ignorant and inept. The food IS present, you just have to know how to get it.  You can mix 10 lbs of cambium with 40 lbs of live weight fish, for a total of 18,000 calories. You can bring 10,000 calories of pemmican and chocolate and mix it with 10,000 calories of diced, boiled, and fried cambium. 40 lbs of fish is not much to catch in 40 days of using the raft to troll a dozen treblehook trotlines . So this gets you thru to day 45, staying mostly holed up in the debris pile, and lose at most 30 lbs of body weight. After you can use all of that much netting, you should not lose any more weight. Any 130lb woman or 180 lb man can stand to lose 30 lbs.

Edited by dranelittle