Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

S01.E01: Arrivals

Recommended Posts


Typical Master of the Universe offspring who thinks they deserve the best of everything and are pissed if anything gets in the way. So instead of accepting the great room they have, he will ruin his honeymoon, and looks like his marriage.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

They deserve what they paid for,  doesn't make them greedy or "master of the universe."  In fact the hotel worker gaslighting him by trying to tell him they had the right room is far more obnoxious in this circumstance,  in my opinion. 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

They deserve what they paid for,  doesn't make them greedy or "master of the universe."  In fact the hotel worker gaslighting him by trying to tell him they had the right room is far more obnoxious in this circumstance,  in my opinion. 

I agree the manager acted badly. Needed to comp them something. But he's still ruining his honeymoon and probably his marriage because he can't handle not getting exactly what he wants.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

As soon as I saw Shane, I thought "punchable face". And yes, he proved me right. Even if the manager intentionally ripped him off, he doesn't know that. They have a great room and his wife is happy. It's their honeymoon, just enjoy that. Sometimes you have to know when to let something go. Maybe if he put on his big boy pants and booked and paid for his own honeymoon instead of having his mommy do it for him,he'd have more game negotiating. A quiet, "hey, how about a free massage for my wife to make up the mistake?" would have gone a long way.

Quote

1) the obviously rich family who invited their daughter’s friend yet the son is sleeping on a cot in a tiny kitchen. Hopefully this won’t continue to be played for laughs or whatever. I just find it improbable and annoying enough that it kept taking me out of the scenes. 

Yeah, that was weird. She's the CEO of a successful tech company, so clearly loaded. But they can't afford a 3-bedroom suite? It's bad enough in those family suites when someone has to sleep in the common area on a couch, because they're always going to be disturbed by the comings and goings of the others, not to mention the lack of privacy. But to put 3 teenagers there, including one that's not from your family? Makes no sense. And what an odd kitchenette - a tiny box cut off from the rest of the suite? I've never seen that before. It's like the writers had to come up with the concept of a random extra small room to stuff the boy in, so they thought "kitchenette" even though that's never how hotel kitchenettes are set up.

I don't get the appeal of Jennifer Coolidge. I find her difficult to look at, with her grimace mouth and offputting mannerisms. And she was styled so unfortunately that I thought, is she pregnant too? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Shermie said:

Yeah, that was weird. She's the CEO of a successful tech company, so clearly loaded. But they can't afford a 3-bedroom suite? It's bad enough in those family suites when someone has to sleep in the common area on a couch, because they're always going to be disturbed by the comings and goings of the others, not to mention the lack of privacy. But to put 3 teenagers there, including one that's not from your family? Makes no sense. And what an odd kitchenette - a tiny box cut off from the rest of the suite? I've never seen that before. It's like the writers had to come up with the concept of a random extra small room to stuff the boy in, so they thought "kitchenette" even though that's never how hotel kitchenettes are set up.

I've speculated in the next episode's thread that the husband is probably the one who paid for the vacation and he makes a lot less than her.

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, mansonlamps said:

They deserve what they paid for,  doesn't make them greedy or "master of the universe."

I'd be inclined to agree with this if they actually paid for it. The fact his mother paid for it makes it far easier to see him as the asshole. "I want the room my mommy got for me!" is not bound to foster audience sympathy.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/21/2021 at 10:57 AM, Shermie said:

I don't get the appeal of Jennifer Coolidge. I find her difficult to look at, with her grimace mouth and offputting mannerisms. And she was styled so unfortunately that I thought, is she pregnant too? 

I actually thought that too. But remembered she was in Best in Show over 20 years ago and looked up her age. She's 59 so doubtful.

Edited by BC4ME · Reason: ETA I was referring to her being pregnant.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BC4ME said:

I actually thought that too. But remembered she was in Best in Show over 20 years ago and looked up her age. She's 59 so doubtful.

I'm buying Jennifer Coolidge in this role. A change from the typecasting of the last many years of her career.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Seems like the same old typecasting to me - overdone, wacky yet vulnerable, very extra in her clothes and hair and makeup. Same old Jennifer Coolidge character.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, mansonlamps said:

They deserve what they paid for,  doesn't make them greedy or "master of the universe."  In fact the hotel worker gaslighting him by trying to tell him they had the right room is far more obnoxious in this circumstance,  in my opinion. 

You can have a perfectly legitimate grievance and still come off as the bad guy if you are an asshole in pursuit of it. Which Shane is doing, at least as it pertains to his wife, as he is ruining their honeymoon by making it all about the room. 

I first noticed this phenomenon many years ago while watching The Wonder Years. Shane is running the risk of pulling a Becky Slater in this scenario.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/22/2021 at 5:52 PM, Shermie said:

Seems like the same old typecasting to me - overdone, wacky yet vulnerable, very extra in her clothes and hair and makeup. Same old Jennifer Coolidge character.

I see most of that, but I would say the difference is in the "wacky yet vulnerable" part. I'm used to seeing her do wacky, not so much the vulnerable. And yet another layer to her character here is that paradoxically, her vulnerability comes with a real capacity to do harm. (Whether intentionally or through sheer obliviousness to the needs of anyone but her.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Enlightened" is way better than this.  The only positive I got from this is that I got to clear off an hour from my DVR.

I grew up poor, but I'd still want the hotel room that I (or my family) paid for.  Asking for that isn't weird to me.

You just reminded me that he was also on a recent season of "Survivor"!  Haha!

It’s so odd he was on Survivor. Was it celebrity survivor?  I don’t watch, so I just don’t know. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, GussieK said:

It’s so odd he was on Survivor. Was it celebrity survivor?  I don’t watch, so I just don’t know. 

Nope, just regular Survivor. And he was on regular old The Amazing Race as well.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/21/2021 at 10:57 AM, Shermie said:

 

I don't get the appeal of Jennifer Coolidge. I find her difficult to look at, with her grimace mouth and offputting mannerisms. And she was styled so unfortunately that I thought, is she pregnant too? 

So glad to find others here with this opinion. I don’t get her. Always weird accents that sounds like she s trying too hard and can’t master it.  And they all sound the same. Her over the top comedy shtick doesn’t belong in this show. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

And I’m really liking this show. I’m commenting after seeing episode 2. It gets even better. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone else have a bit of trouble picturing Connie Britton with Steve Zahn?  They seem like an odd match. 
 

Maybe she’s supposed to have gotten more sophisticated as she’s aged, and he’s a bit of a dork. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, answerphone said:

Does anyone else have a bit of trouble picturing Connie Britton with Steve Zahn?  They seem like an odd match. 
 

Maybe she’s supposed to have gotten more sophisticated as she’s aged, and he’s a bit of a dork. 

Maybe but in some closeups, she’s visibly older, more wrinkled.

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, aghst said:

Maybe but in some closeups, she’s visibly older, more wrinkled.

Which is one of the things I love about her! Considering how many actresses her age are barely recognizable due to all the work they had done (looking at you, Nicole Kidman), it's great to see a few brave souls resist the pressure to get fillers and/or surgery. She's beautiful at any age.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

And she can actually use her face to act and emote.  I can't stand actors whose faces don't move.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, aghst said:

Maybe but in some closeups, she’s visibly older, more wrinkled.

The actors are basically the same age. She's only a year older.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wanted to like this—or at least like one of the characters.  The scenery was pretty, but I just couldn’t root for any of the characters—except jerkface’s wife—and I don’t think that’s enough to hold me. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2021 at 11:53 PM, Bulldog said:

Speaking of Shane, he's a jerk.  No doubt.  But, he wasn't wrong about the room.  If you pay for the (presumably) more expensive room, then you should get the more expensive room.  Of course, that is somewhat hypocritical of me to say as I would have definitely taken the Rachel stance of the room we have is nice enough.  Didn't really like the manager trying to gaslight him into thinking they got the room they purchased. 

I agree with this 1000% He is a jerk but he was right about this and I feel like the show wanted us to sympathize with the manager but you can't KNOW that you're wrong and not do anything to try to resolve the situation. The fact that it took the travel agent (who could affect future business in a very tangible way) calling and cursing him out before he even begrudgingly gave them champagne is just horrible customer service. 

Also, also Shane could have and should have said it differently but Rachel's wrong to work on their honeymoon. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/21/2021 at 11:46 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I'd be inclined to agree with this if they actually paid for it. The fact his mother paid for it makes it far easier to see him as the asshole. "I want the room my mommy got for me!" is not bound to foster audience sympathy.

Why does that make him an asshole? If someone spent their money to buy me something and I wasn't getting what they paid for then I'm still getting ripped off. No matter who paid for the room, the hotel received payment for the most expensive accommodations and provided lesser accommodations. I know it was unintentional but it is basically a bait-and-switch. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size