Type keyword(s) to search

The White Lotus in the Media

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Season three with Jennifer Coolidge again. I don't know if I can do that.  She is the worst part of this show.

Has it been confirmed that she'll be in S3? The variety article didn't mention it. Even if she is coming back, I would think they'd keep it quiet until the end of this season to keep the suspense of whether Tanya is one of the dead bodies.

Edited by chocolatine
11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Has it been confirmed that she'll be in S3? The variety article didn't mention it. Even if she is coming back, I would think they'd keep it quiet until the end of this season to keep the suspense of whether Tanya is one of the dead bodies.

If she isn't one of the dead bodies this season, maybe some people would come back for season 3 hoping Tanya will be a dead body.

• LOL 5

‘The White Lotus’ Star Will Sharpe Explains Ethan and Cameron’s ‘Toxic’ Friendship and Theo James’ Improvised Cheek Kisses

Cameron kisses Ethan on the cheek quite a bit. What do you think that means, if anything?

He loved doing that. I think it’s his way of being playful and sexually voracious and showing who’s boss in this weird way. It’s like a micro powerplay. But yeah, I noticed that too and would just react to it as I thought Ethan would.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

How Michael Imperioli nearly tanked his ‘White Lotus’ Season 2 audition

What was important for Imperioli was pushing back against the stigmas around sex addiction:

“‘Oh, you just want to f— around. You want to be married and have the security and the love of a constant partner, and just f— whatever you can anyway.’ But that’s not what sex addiction is. Sex addiction is something that can be rooted in trauma and shame and guilt. You have this very brief, fleeting moment of pleasure, but as soon as that’s over, it’s anxiety, depression, remorse, guilt, regret. Those cycles, those highs and lows, get drastically higher and lower as the disease progresses.”

• Useful 4

Haven't seen Imperioli in anything other than The Sopranos and now this.

Sounds like he got some gigs but not a lot.  He wasn't getting a lot of gigs before The Sopranos either.

He's okay, Dominic isn't some older Christopher Moltasanti if he hadn't died.  But he's an addict in both roles.

On 11/19/2022 at 8:47 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:
  Hide contents

Season three with Jennifer Coolidge again. I don't know if I can do that.  She is the worst part of this show.

Kind of a spoiler from news site. 

I'm not surprised. After all, she worked her way up to Blossom from Petal!

• LOL 2

Doubtful someone with $500 million worries about status at hotel programs.

She probably does like being attended to and pampered but people with the kind of money they have would probably rent a villa to be away from the common folk and bring her own staff of servants.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I guess Tanya does, since she's the one who mentioned it. 

And that does very much feel like something Tanya would think about lol.

I agree. Many rich people are obsessed with status, no matter how arbitrary. And if that status comes with perks such as free room upgrades, beauty treatments, etc., rich people love freebies too.

• Like 4
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I guess Tanya does, since she's the one who mentioned it. 

And that does very much feel like something Tanya would think about lol.

25 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I agree. Many rich people are obsessed with status, no matter how arbitrary. And if that status comes with perks such as free room upgrades, beauty treatments, etc., rich people love freebies too.

Or maybe Mike White is satirizing people who get caught up in these programs like frequent flier miles.

Tanya could also afford to fly private jets all over the world too but she probably is a member of a FF program.

• Love 1

Mike White interviewed on Fresh Air.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/05/1140224760/white-lotus-mike-white

Mike and Terry Gross joked that the device of having corpses at the start of both seasons of WL and then the whole season being a slow reveal of the victims has really helped the ratings of the series.

Mike jokes that had he known he might have thrown a murder into Enlightened.  Also notes that he's struggled at the margin as a TV show creator until the WL and is enjoying his success, likes that a lot of people are watching his work and engaging with it.

His father has become sick in the last year, afflicted with Alzheimers and another disease.  It was tough spending most of it last year shooting in Italy, being away from his parents.  His mother is also at an advanced age.

But he's going to do more seasons of WL -- they don't mention that season 3 has already been renewed -- because he may not have opportunities again like this where he gets complete creative freedom.

Also mentions that initially, second season was going to be about power.  But when he was scouting hotels and decided on the one in Taormina, he changed it to focus on sexual jealousy, thought the locale fit better as a setting for these kinds of themes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, aghst said:

Also mentions that initially, second season was going to be about power.  But when he was scouting hotels and decided on the one in Taormina, he changed it to focus on sexual jealousy, thought the locale fit better as a setting for these kinds of themes.

Can you imagine that job?  Be on the location scouting team for the show and visiting luxury hotels all around the world?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

‘White Lotus’ Finale Theories: Sex Tapes, Blackmail, Fake Pimps — and Who Will Die?!?

What will happen to Tanya (Jennifer Coolidge)? Did Cameron (Theo James) sleep with Harper (Aubrey Plaza)? Who is the father of Daphne’s (Meghann Fahy) kids? Is Lucia actually in danger? What ever happened to the piano player? Who dies?!?

From the viral cowboy conspiracy to the sex work scheme, Variety investigated some of the most popular and outlandish “White Lotus” finale theories.

• Useful 1

The White Lotus star talks Valentina's powerful 'epiphany' in episode 6 and teases the 'shocking' finale

What can you tease about where everything is heading in the finale?

[Laughs] I feel uncomfortable talking about the seventh episode. I still haven't even watched the sixth episode! Of course, I remember what I read in the script but still there are parts that are still mysterious to me. I knew all the scripts but every time I watch the show, it's so surprising to me that I need to watch it twice, three times. So I cannot really tease about what's going to happen. I can only say that what is going to happen in the final episode is shocking and people are really going to freak out.

• Useful 1
On 12/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, Sailorgirl26 said:
On 12/9/2022 at 6:48 AM, Haleth said:

I'm guessing the body is Greg.  The irony is that he (apparently?) set up this scheme to get Tanya's money, putting her in a dangerous situation, then somehow he himself will end up dead.

This article delves more into that theory. I think it's a great speculation! 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/whoe-dies-white-lotus-episode-season-b2241758.html

This kind of makes sense in terms of the first season.  Armond, while entertaining, was kind of despicable from the get go. The same is true for Greg.   I don't think this is the type of show that would go toward flat out tragedy so the person(s) dying would probably be someone with few redeeming qualities.  

• Love 2

“Making a Splash: Jennifer Coolidge and Mike White Discuss the ‘White Lotus’ Finale” (nytimes.com/2022/12/12/arts/television/white-lotus-jennifer-coolidge-mike-white.html

Excerpts from NYT interview which left me wondering if Quentin was a stand-in for Mike White:

Do you have any regrets about the season? Are you sorry you killed off Tanya?

WHITE I really love this story. I really thought it was a funny way to go. And right. I don’t have regrets about that.

But yesterday, I went over and watched the show alone with Jennifer. At one point, I was kind of laughing and I looked over at her, and she was so sad for Tanya. In that moment, I was like, Oh, this is the end for me and Jennifer. And Jennifer’s the reason I did “White Lotus” in the first place. Because I just wanted to write something for her and I just adore her. So it’s sad. I didn’t realize it until yesterday, but now I am sad. It’s going to be hard to do it without her. There’s definitely going to be something missing.

COOLIDGE I didn’t expect, last night, to be as moved as I was.

Have you forgiven him for killing you off?

COOLIDGE No, not at all. I’ll forever be sad about this.

The show has already been renewed for Season 3. So let’s just get this out of the way: Who dies next time?

WHITE Maybe it’s like Kenny on “South Park”: Every season Tanya has to come in and just die all over again.

and one of the more hilarious of hundreds of comments posted to the article:

D0DA505F-CD0E-4DCD-B871-3820D3BC5049.thumb.jpeg.23ce0e6cece6db905c261337cd390243.jpeg
https://nyti.ms/3HwHpIc#permid=121971164

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 12/17/2022 at 9:59 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

The TVLine Performer of the Week: Jennifer Coolidge

I questioned the need for Tanya for a lot of this season but I have to say, the finale made it all worth it so I do like this choice.  I think there will be some moments like "Do you know the gays" and "they want to kill me so they can redecorate or whatever"  or "I got this--plonk" that I think will outlive the show. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Congratulations to Jennifer Coolidge for winning a Golden Globe last night:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/jennifer-coolidge-golden-globes-white-lotus-1235483074/

She's obviously very flustered as she rambled, but it was a heartfelt speech. Like she said in a previous interview, she's that actress who's never made millions, and just kept on taking small, little jobs here and there to keep her going, and now she's reached the apex. 

Congrats to the entire White Lotus team too for winning Best Limited Series!

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 7
  • Applause 5
18 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Sounds good!

Spoiler

White had previously hinted that Season 3 may take place in Asia and focus on “death and Eastern religion and spirituality.”

“The first season kind of highlighted money, and then the second season is sex,” White said in a clip pegged at the end of the Season 2 finale. “I think the third season would be maybe a satirical and funny look at death and Eastern religion and spirituality. It feels like it could be a rich tapestry to do another round at White Lotus.”

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/white-lotus-season-3-location-thailand-1235565604/

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2

I've never been to Thailand.

But I thought the draw was that it was an inexpensive destination with stupendously beautiful beaches and other scenery (giant temples) and cheap but great food.

I don't doubt that there are 5-star hotels and resorts but it seemed like people go a long way from Europe or the US because of affordability, not luxury necessarily.

Then again, I didn't think Sicily was necessarily a big luxury destination but they certainly made it work.

You also think of people going out there as younger, maybe kids still in college.  Or maybe just taking a break from school or between jobs.

But the characters playing the guests will no doubt be people of privilege.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:01 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

I hope they choose the Four Seasons Koh Samui, it’s insanely gorgeous.

Four Seasons Koh Samui

Yes, but yoiks! Over $3K per night? 
I guess that fits.

ETA:   
Do the cast and crew get deep discounts? 
I don’t see how being the scene of a gruesome and/or terrifying murder — as well as being populated by possibly psycho and/or criminal employees and/or guests and/or locals — would serve as anything like Good or Free Advertising that would cause the Hotel manager to give the White Lotus cast and crew free access. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1