Type keyword(s) to search

The White Lotus in the Media

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I realize it'll be at a different locale but I really hope they find someway to keep Belinda. She's the only character I'd want to see again.  Maybe Quinn to see what happened to him but no on else.   

Me too - when I read that it would have a new cast, I was thinking new guests at the same hotel because I want to see more of Belinda.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Me too - when I read that it would have a new cast, I was thinking new guests at the same hotel because I want to see more of Belinda.

Maybe she gets promoted to the head of spa services for the entire chain and makes at least a brief visit to the other location to train the spa staff in a new treatment or something like that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Dminches said:

It looks like they are applying the “True Detective” approach to “The White Lotus.” I hope they come up with some better stories.  Season 1 was ok at best.

They need to make sure there’s an unidentified dead body in episode 1 to keep viewership up.

7 hours ago, Rickster said:

They need to make sure there’s an unidentified dead body in episode 1 to keep viewership up.

I don't think that will happen since season 2 is covering a different cast and story line.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Empress1 said:

That'd be OK with me, but I think "new guests at the same hotel" has been done under several iterations, from Love Boat to Fantasy Island. And I think there was actually a Love Boat/Fantasy Island type series about a hotel! With Connie Selleca? Some brain cells are firing and telling me that for some reason.

• LOL 1
On 8/10/2021 at 12:17 PM, AzureOwl said:

Season 2 is a go.

It will feature a different location and cast,  as it will focus on a different hotel in the White Lotus chain. 

Dang they rushed this out and only produced 6 episodes.  But if it got the ratings, they probably want to do more.

I'm not sure any of the cast is particularly a big ratings draw, which is different than a star like Kate Winslet on Mare of Easttown or the stars of Big Little Lies, which HBO needed to do a second season.

I heard Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan refer in The Watch podcast to the finale drawing huge ratings and critical raves.

OK, happy for them getting big ratings but the critical raves, I don't get.

Mike White put this together fast and they pretty much shot the first draft and the goal was to get it on the air as soon as they can, because there was a hole in the HBO schedule.

It shows, like they rushed it on telling the motivations of some of these characters, like Rachel, why would she be drawn to Shane and why would she stay with him?  That story could have been better told and if they had more time, maybe add a couple more episodes, they might have been able to tell some backstories of the characters.

It was fine to watch and I'll probably watch future seasons but it's not the first thing I'll be waiting for on HBO or other channels.  

At least it bought them time to get Succession season 3 finished and ready for the "fall."

• Love 2

Please help me with this part of the ending.....

Why would they be loading the body of the hotel manager on the plane the day after he was killed? Everything fell apart for me with this coincidence.

The coroner would still be holding the body at a minimum. My wife says they are sending the body back to where ever he is from and all planes go through Honolulu....

Even so....another remarkable coincidence that he ended up on the same flight.

‘White Lotus’ Season 2 Adds F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hollander, Adam DiMarco, Haley Lu Richardson

White-Lotus-Season-2-Casting-2.jpg?w=681

F. Murray Abraham as Bert Di Grasso, an elderly man traveling with his son (Michael Imperioli) and grandson, Albie Di Grasso.

Tom Hollander as Quentin, an English expat vacationing with his friends and his nephew.

Adam DiMarco as Albie Di Grasso, a recent college graduate.

Haley Lu Richardson as Portia, a young woman traveling with her boss.

Jennifer Coolidge returns as her character from Season 1, Tanya McQuoid, a drunk, tragic middle-aged woman.

Michael Imperioli as Dominic Di Grasso, the son of Bert Di Grasso and father of Albie Di Grasso.

Aubrey Plaza as Harper Spiller, a woman on vacation with her husband and his friends.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aghst said:

Sicily is great but it's not really full of luxury resorts like Hawaii.

Well, for the show's purposes we only need one.

I hope Sicily draws a more interesting set of characters than Hawaii did. Shane, Rachel, the Mossbachers, and Paula were all pretty bland. I have high hopes for F. Murray Abraham, and look forward to seeing Jennifer Coolidge again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rickster said:

Funnily enough, Jennifer Coolidge’s character was the one I have zero interest in seeing in a second season.

Allow them to throw her a bone, the same way they are doing to Jennifer Tilly's character in Chucky.

‘The White Lotus’: Theo James, Meghann Fahy & Will Sharpe Join Sicily-Set Second Installment

Theo-James-Meghann-Fahy-and-Will-Sharpe.

(L-R) Theo James, Meghann Fahy and Will Sharpe

Will Sharpe is Ethan Spiller, husband of Harper Spiller, played by Aubrey Plaza. 

Theo James is Cameron Babcock.

Meghann Fahy is Daphne Babcock, she and her husband Cameron Babcock are vacationing with Ethan and Harper Spiller. 

Leo Woodall is Jack, a magnetic guest staying at The White Lotus.

• Love 2

Been to Sicily a couple of times.  Never thought to look for luxury, Hawaiian type of resorts there.

Island is a relatively poor area so you can have simple snacks like arancini and cannelloni or just having a granita on a hot summer day.

I've no doubt there are high-end resorts but seems a strange choice.

Maybe these actresses are dynamite, speak English very well, so that is why White is casting them and setting the season there.

Sardinia, an island off the central coast of Italy, is more known for attracting wealthy clientele, especially around Olbia where you'd see luxury yachts.

Or tiny Portofino on the mainland, known for expensive restaurants and again billionaire yachts in the marina.

But looking forward to it.

My grandparents immigrated to Boston from Sicily, from a tiny town called Faro Superiore. Very isolated and rocky, but on the ocean. They lived in terrible poverty there but years ago I Googled the  place and to my surprise found that the area, especially Taormina, now was full of luxury resorts. Yes, it's a very different kind of landscape, but you don't need sand and palm trees to have beautiful scenery and luxury resorts. Makes me look forward to it even more, even though the finale was a bomb. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Darian said:

My grandparents immigrated to Boston from Sicily, from a tiny town called Faro Superiore. Very isolated and rocky, but on the ocean. They lived in terrible poverty there but years ago I Googled the  place and to my surprise found that the area, especially Taormina, now was full of luxury resorts. Yes, it's a very different kind of landscape, but you don't need sand and palm trees to have beautiful scenery and luxury resorts. Makes me look forward to it even more, even though the finale was a bomb. 

The scenery is definitely there.  But the places which are expensive are away from the Taormina town center, which is a huge draw because of sea and land views, including Etna, which is to the south/southwest.

Below the town center, off this winding road that goes down to the beach area around sea level, there are several 5-star hotels but the buildings are old, though probably renovated inside.  But they're on hill sides so they don't seem to have a lot of space.  So you don't get the Hawaiian type of resorts with beach access and big pool and outdoor terraces.  I haven't stayed in these places in Taormina because you can't even park near the town that easily (in fact you have to park way above town, near a freeway, and then take a shuttle bus down).  Now people willing to spend hundreds or over a thousand a night can stay in these luxury hotels, which probably have their own parking.

But if they want to go into town, they probably need to take taxi unless they want to do a lot of climbing.

I guess we'll find out where they shot and if they have the iconic views which Taormina is known for.

I

House Of The Dragon, The White Lotus, & More | Coming Soon To HBO Max Video

This video has short clips from The White Lotus Season 2 confirming that Tanya McQuoid (Jennifer Coolidge) and Greg (Jon Gries) are still together and are now on vacation in Sicily.

Season 2 will be filmed at the San Domenico Palace, a Four Seasons hotel, in Taormina.

https://press.fourseasons.com/taormina/trending-now/history/

Interesting history as a Dominican convent and then conversion to a hotel in the 19th century.  The hotel has changed ownership over its long history and attracted aristocrats and then celebrities in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Looks to be renovated, rooms starting at almost $600 a night.

Season 1 didn't particularly make me want to go visit Hawaii but season 2 might make me want to visit Sicily again.  Won't be staying at that posh hotel but plenty of nice places for a fraction of that price and you still get the great scenery and food.