Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Earth, Wind, Fire, Donuts

• Start Topic

Golfers face three new holes, including Putt-A-Saurus, Parcade and Donut Hole; those who succeed face off on Dutch Courage En Fuego and joust their way to victory on King Parthur's Court.

Putt-a-saurus, with dinosaurs, and a mud pit Jill Clifton from San Diego, of course she owns a lip pumping company.   Her outfit is going to look nasty after this hole.        The basketball player is nice, he's helping the former Ice Princess, now the Mud Princess out of the pit.  I can't believe she's putting on lip gloss, while covered in mud.   I'm so glad the basketball player won.    How cool it is that his family owns a golf course, and his dad (or granddad?) was one of Arnold Palmer's best friend.  

I like the Pinball machine hole.  Both contestants did pathetic attempts at jumping from flipper to flipper, and landing in the water.    Ho-Ho-Hole (formerly Pole cano) I love this hole so much, I don't even care who advances.  Donut Hole, another new one.   Student pastor wins over a pro golfer. 

Second round-Dutch Courage, with fire on the windmills.  Basketball Player Leo, and David Biggy, the player with the wild pants,  The wild pants guy goes for a swim, twice.  The basketball player goes for a swim, but only once.    David wins, and advances to the finals.

Jousting hole - Wilson Engle, the student pastor vs. Jane Hammer, the marathon runner/mini golfer. I don't understand why they're riding side saddle, the other week they were riding with a leg on each side.   Of course, both contestants go for a swim.    

Final Hole- Porta Potty, or whatever it's called.       David Biggy  vs. Wilson the student pastor.     David puts on the strange goggles, and goes for a swim in that nasty water.  Wilson Ingle, knocks his ball in the drink, and follows the ball for another nasty looking swim.   David Biggy wins and goes to the season finals. 

• Love 3

I liked the new holes. So glad plump lady took a nasty tumble and lost. Lips weren't the only fake part of her. And any time the guys visit Uranus, is fine by me. I love Joe T more every week. So funny when he was being Riggle.

CrazyinAlabama, Mr Grizzly and I have been wondering about the contestants riding side saddle on the jousting too. Maybe it's safer to fall that way? With the horse soaped up, there's no way they'll stay on.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Jousting hole - Wilson Engle, the student pastor vs. Jane Hammer, the marathon runner/mini golfer. I don't understand why they're riding side saddle, the other week they were riding with a leg on each side.   Of course, both contestants go for a swim.

An article I read last summer said that they film all of one hole at a time before moving on to another hole. So I'm thinking that tonight's contestants filmed before last week's contestants and at some point the producers decided the contestants could straddle the horse instead of sitting side saddle. Because yeah, there's no way to stay on, especially if the horse is already wet!

• Love 3

My god I love the dinosaur hole. Rob's glee at an actual mud pit was hilarious. Lady, your lips look so off and fake and hideous. 

Also loved everyone basically running right off the flipper.

• Love 4

I liked the new holes, but on the dinosaur hole, I'd like to see it have at least a slim possibility for the contestants not to fall in the mud. The last jump is just too far for anyone to make it.

• Love 3

This was a great episode and lots of fun. The funniest line was at the beginning, I can't remember it but Rob said something like this whole show is ridiculous, which it is ... ridiculous FUN. All my favorite players won this week, I was so rooting against Fish Lips and Fake Boobage woman. The other players I didn't like lost too, so all was good.

I am trying to figure out how players can get on and stay on the Pole cano, seems like a few mastered it last season.

For the dinosaur hole, wouldn't it be better to just jump feet first off the last rib instead of diving in. Maybe that's just me.

I agree about the side saddle jousting. So far no players have used their jousting stick (whatever those are called!) to push the Master Jouster off his horse. It's sort of like players get on their horse and just fall off because ... well, because they do.

I guess this was filmed in southern California, but is it really that cold there? I guess it is. But it's so hot here, the frosty water looks refreshing.

Joe and Rob = best team hosts ever, even better than Matt and Akbar.

• Love 1
(edited)

In the winter time, especially if there's rain, it can get really chilly, even in California.    Also, the contestants who go in the water or mud holes, may rinse off, but they're still wet.   So with even a light breeze, they're going to be freezing. 

When they showed the behind the scenes of when Rob Riggle got the producer's parka, and Joe was still freezing (being a career Marine teaches you a lot of skills, including foraging for parkas), it was windy, and chilly.   They had to stop filming for a day and a half, to build an enclosure for Rob and Joe, with heaters, and Joe got so hot that he was embarrassed to ask them to turn the heat down.       I think they film the entire season over a week or two, and it's always cold because they have to work around Joe and Rob's schedules, especially Joe's sports commentating.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

This episode was so fun and I just love Joe and Rob.  I wish the dinosaurs interacted more with that hole, but the mud pit, and Rob's glee at the mud pit, were great.  The side 'saddle' joust:  those contestants using this method do not stand a chance.  lol  Loved all the new holes, ad I just laugh so much during this show.

• Love 3

I’m disappointed with this season. The new games don’t really excite me, and they’ve moved further into the “Fear Factor” brah realm. Sludge pool by the port-a-potties? An impossible leap across a mud pit? I’m waiting for them to go full-on “Wet Tshirt Contest” and be done with it already.

3 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

they’ve moved further into the “Fear Factor” brah realm.

I will agree with this when golfers have to eat cow intestines to clear the way for a closer putt. I do prefer water over mud for the players to fall into though so I'd vote less mud, more water. I was surprised the Donut Hole had them fall into a pit full of foam rubber. That was a nice change.

I do wish the players were better athletes. That they don't even try to jump into the donuts or jump over the flippers or grasp onto the Polecano is sort of, well, boring. I'd like to see some American Ninja Warriors play this course. I'll bet those Ninjas can play putt putt golf. It'd be a great cross over.

• Love 4

The dinosaur ribs aren't meant to be "crossed".  Until this season, not all holes were obstacle-based and in this case, the point is staying on the ribs as.long as possible and then trekking through the mud.  This isn't a show like Wipeout where EVERYTHING is intended to be a passable obstacle (and a lot of Wipeout's obstacles in later seasons weren't beatable at all anyway!).  

I would be willing to bet the obstacles are much harder than they look.  This week's competitors were pretty bad on the obstacle holes, but I don't think ANW competitors would do much better on all of them.  I'd say most weeks the competitors give decent effort.

On the horse, it's pretty clear that they either started with contestants straddling it and then realized that was too easy or started with contestants side-saddle and thought it was too hard.  I'd be willing to bet all of the times it appears as a final round it will be straddling and all of the times it's earlier on it will be side-saddle with his they film it.  

I do agree I'm not as into this season as the previous one, but it's not bad at all so far!

On 7/2/2021 at 9:40 AM, saber5055 said:

I am trying to figure out how players can get on and stay on the Pole cano, seems like a few mastered it last season.

The trick is that you have to let go early. The sled stops short and it surprises all the contestants who keep holding on which then flips them just enough that they can't grab the pole. I was surprised the lady that held on got a second wind up and STILL wouldn't let go.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, lynxfx said:

The trick is that you have to let go early. The sled stops short and it surprises all the contestants who keep holding on which then flips them just enough that they can't grab the pole. I was surprised the lady that held on got a second wind up and STILL wouldn't let go.

Right. Last season the zipline slammed people into the pole. This year, the zipline is stopping a bit short of the pole (maybe they had some injuries last year?), so people holding on to the end are having their legs swing forward when they let go and hit the pole legs first. They need to let go of the line when they still have forward momentum and are in a vertical position.

Watching the kick boxer lady who wouldn't let go, I was wondering if she remembered one contestant last year who I think made it on Polecano. My fuzzy recollection is that he didn't let go of the line. They rewound it halfway, like her, but then since the he hit the pole with less force, he was able to hang on. This year it seems like you need to go full speed and release at the right time to throw yourself across the gap to the pole.

• Love 1

i prefer the obstacles to be theoretically possible and the dino one is just way, way, way too far to jump.    Also side saddle jousting.   I don't mind a task that is difficult but it has to bee theoretically possible for me or else it takes the fun out of it.

• Love 2

The dinosaur ribs aren't meant to be "crossed".  Until this season, not all holes were obstacle-based and in this case, the point is staying on the ribs as.long as possible and then trekking through the mud.  This isn't a show like Wipeout where EVERYTHING is intended to be a passable obstacle (and a lot of Wipeout's obstacles in later seasons weren't beatable at all anyway!).  

I would be willing to bet the obstacles are much harder than they look.  This week's competitors were pretty bad on the obstacle holes, but I don't think ANW competitors would do much better on all of them.  I'd say most weeks the competitors give decent effort.

On the horse, it's pretty clear that they either started with contestants straddling it and then realized that was too easy or started with contestants side-saddle and thought it was too hard.  I'd be willing to bet all of the times it appears as a final round it will be straddling and all of the times it's earlier on it will be side-saddle with his they film it.  

I do agree I'm not as into this season as the previous one, but it's not bad at all so far!  I feel like the telestrator was alright for one week, but isn't doing much for me all season long.  Wipeout did better with at least using it to create unique drawings.

Finally: Has anyone noticed that the ball always seems to speed up in Dutch Courage this season after the camera cuts away from the first shot?  Like it looks like it won't really reach the hole area, but then it cuts to a wider spot and shows the ball speeding toward the hole.  Am I crazy about that?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Messup said:

Finally: Has anyone noticed that the ball always seems to speed up in Dutch Courage this season after the camera cuts away from the first shot?  Like it looks like it won't really reach the hole area, but then it cuts to a wider spot and shows the ball speeding toward the hole.  Am I crazy about that?

I think that's a matter of perspective. They first show it from behind the golfer, so the ball is moving straight away from the camera, then cut to a side shot showing its progress over the course. It's harder to see how fast something is moving when you're directly behind it (or in front of it, for that matter) than when you're looking from the side and can see the ground it's covering. Physicists, feel free to chime in and correct me.