Type keyword(s) to search

S01.01: The Too Many Rembrandts Job

• Start Topic

On 7/9/2021 at 11:52 PM, Orbert said:

I know that this first episode had to introduce the characters to anyone who never saw the original series, but having Sophie say "Grifter", Eliot say "Hitter", etc., felt really awkward.  Why would they each say their "roles" out loud like that, to each other?  It seems like there could have been a better way to make their roles obvious to the uninitiated.

That completely took me out of it. I was like they know who they are why would they say that. Plus Sophie says her before anyone got there.

I was totally in a bubble apparently because I didn't even realize this premiered. I liked it for the most part. Loved all the call backs and that Sophie got to say the line "Let's go steal". I loved how Parker still loves vents, Elliot and Harrison being the same. I think the new guy is fine, though I kept thinking why are they trusting him. They needed to so a bit more before he was invited to do the con with them. 

Nate: perfect explanation, I honestly hope that they keep him dead. Having it be a con is a cop-out and would make the beginning of this episode make no sense as nobody was around when Sophie was acting clearly depressed. Also clearly the other characters also think he's gone. I think having it be health does make it seem real and not a con. 

The negatives were mostly the platform, was the lighting or maybe the movement off? Something like that.

Over all, I enjoyed it and look forward to watching the rest of the episodes.

• Love 7

The opening flashback had me worried. It looked so cheap and terrible.

I don't think it fully recaptured the original show, and even once they settled into the episode, it didn't look as good as it used to on TNT. But it still had some of the old magic. I'm so glad they got as much of the original cast back as they could. It wouldn't be the same without those familiar rhythms, cadences, line deliveries, etc. Hardison/Parker and Hardison/Elliot were dynamics I especially missed. Disappointed he won't be in the whole season. And while all the exposition to catch us up was a bit much, I did like what they'd chosen to fill in those years since the show went off the air. 

I don't remember if the original show had such a clear parallel like this episode had with the Sackler Family. Also, it's a little shocking that Reed Diamond was never a bad guy on the original Leverage.

The Nate replacement is kind of bland but I did like the way his story unfolded even if I don't care about him yet.

It was like seeing old friends again.

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

The opening flashback had me worried. It looked so cheap and terrible.

I don't think it fully recaptured the original show, and even once they settled into the episode, it didn't look as good as it used to on TNT. But it still had some of the old magic.

While I loved this new series overall, I do agree with this - it took a couple of episodes for me to fully get into the swing of this new version of the show, the stylistic differences and the way everyone has changed (and I think it took that long for the actors and writers to settle, as well). But I got hooked pretty quickly!

I don't think it is a spoiler to say here that although at first glance Harry looks like he is going to be just a cheap Nate replacement, he really isn't, his role in the show and the group dynamic is completely different.

• Love 2

I'm on a rewatch getting ready for season two. I love Sophie confronting Harry about stealing the painting and Parker immediately pops up with his wallet and a minute later is wearing his watch. 

I love the team coming together for Sophie and trying to help her. Eliot offering to cook something and when Sophie says their out of food Hardison immediately gets up and says he'll go grocery shopping. It was really sweet of all them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love the team coming together for Sophie and trying to help her. Eliot offering to cook something and when Sophie says their out of food Hardison immediately gets up and says he'll go grocery shopping. It was really sweet of all them.

It really highlights what a family they became. For those who saw the old series, it's a warm hug and for those new to the show it is a great way to show that these are more than just a group of people who work together, they are utterly and completely a family. 

• Love 2